This Is Happening - LCD Soundsystem
8.5

Review this album

1. Aug 13, 2010
    This Is Happening had the potential to be one of the greatest EPs of this generation. Instead, James Murphy has produced an album of three or four hits, intertwined with shameless time-consuming noise.
  2. Aug 6, 2011
    Along with Arcade Fire's The Suburbs and Josh Ritter's So Runs the World Away, this was my favorite album of 2010. I'd hate for this to be the last LCD Soundsystem album, but we'll always have "Home".
  3. Oct 8, 2011
    The best but last album of this great project by James Murphy gets to it's end with remarkable songs and different lyrics. Not as great as Sound Of Silver, but great at the same way, songs like "I Can Change" e "Drunk Girls" show us that mr. Murphy might be the creative genious we-ve been looking for.
  4. Oct 25, 2011
    LCD Soundsystem end on a good note. While this isn't as good as Sound of Silver, it's certainly better than their debut. I found this album to be a grower requiring multiple listens to really get into it.
  5. Nov 2, 2010
    Certainly the weakest of the LCD albums and yet very, VERY similar to his previous ones. It's probably for the best that he's calling it a day. There's nothing inherently bad about this album; it is in fact rather good. BUT, none of the songs on 'This Is Happening' are quite as good as those on 'LCD Soundsystem' or 'Sound of Silver'. This album shows that, after 3 albums, the LCD sound has now been stretched for as much as it's worth. I'm genuinely surprised it's metacritic score is as high as his others. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    A hip, rocking album that puts other artists to shame, "Happening" has a lot of great jams and snyth tech beats, chugging along with LCD's off-beat lyrics its a must have for this year best music.
  7. Oct 21, 2010
    I can't stop listening to this album. The Dance Yourself Clean track is addicting. Please check it out this album. I love the genuine, and positive spirit and feel to the music and lyrics, you would have to quite thick headed not to percieve and appreciate this. Love it.
  8. Nov 12, 2010
    It is despicable that this is tagged with dance-punk so often, when this truly holds no regards to anything of the sort, especially in this day and age of electronic dominance within music. This sounds to be stuck in the late-seventies, drenched in horribly bland white-man's funk (read as: Talking Heads), with no appeal or impact of any regard to be had. A continuing trend for this band. Their 2007 album was less expressive than their debut. The good news is, they can't get any worse. Expand
  9. Nov 22, 2010
    The album should've been revisited before release, although the most beautiful thing about this album is that it's actually fun to listening to, but some of the songs need some editing for run time.
  10. Apr 8, 2011
    They say it's better to quit while still on top, and this is LCD at it's best. May not be as good as the magnificent Sound of Silver but it certainly holds its own. Now LCD has released 3 great albums, enough to earn a distinguished place in music history.
  11. Mar 22, 2011
    Yep, Talking Heads + Enoesque sounds + a bit of Bowie (without the amazing voice). Starts fantastically with Dance Yrself Clean, and never reaches the same height again. Drunk Girls is very annoying and unlistenable. There's some good stuff like All I want and I Can Change, but doesn't do much for me. I don't see the genius. Bringing back old 80's sounds, and making them fresh again is admirable, but I think he is overhyped. -each of the first 5 albums by the talking heads is better. Expand
  12. Apr 28, 2011
    This album is jumpin! groovy as hell. Funky electronic sounds, great beats, great drummer- he just fits with the music. Under some circumstances, it just sounds reminiscent of the 80's, but it is oh so fresh at the same time. Eclectic, cool, bright and interesting lyrics. Thick electronic bass lines, melody lines. The quality on the CD sounds amazing, well mixed and recorded, well put together with no gaps and no distortion or filler underneath, everything placed perfectly but perfectly wild for the creativity to leap out of the music. Needless to say, the songs aren't dull, this album will have bouncing. Expand
  13. j30
    Feb 1, 2012
    This Is Happening was my favorite record from 2010. The LP has more of a rock sound than previous efforts, but still shows electronic flare. LCD Soundsystem will be missed.
  14. Oct 6, 2011
    When "New York I love you" I literally cried. Great album for a great band. I had the pleasure of seeing their final concert, I will never forget it
  15. Feb 16, 2012
    A very enjoyable record and a pity it's LCD's last. The opener Dance Yrself Clean is as good an album introduction as you'll ever here. Followed up by the single Drunk Girls keeps things flowing along nicely. The whole record has got a sound from another time - for some reason New York of the 80's comes to mind when I listen to it. That may just be me but this record definitely stands out amongst other releases of the year for sounding different to anything else. The records centre piece Can Change is a typical example and sounds like something Gary Numan would come out with. Expand
  16. Jan 28, 2012
    The magic of the electronic LCD reached lofty levels. It's a unique feeling listening to songs like "All I Want" and "I Can Change." Wonderful album, where the limits are impossible in our hands.

1. This Is Happening suffers no shortage of really great songs. Each track is a well-executed study in the finer points of the long form, each thumping and building, wavering and shifting in the haze of its own self-contained ecosystem.
  2. While it’s certainly still working for him now—This Is Happening is, in all respects, LCD’s best album—it doesn’t take much to imagine the act becoming a tired gag a couple more albums down the line.
    What keeps Murphy from being an insufferable know-it-all is how he folds deeper emotions into his references....Older, snottier, his edge remains.