• Record Label: Merge
8.3

Review this album

1. MikefromMaine
    Jan 31, 2010
    A step away from the pop influenced Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, but a very interesting,and, on repeated listens catchy album. As in prior albums, the rhythm section is the focus again, with the guitar and vocals just used as adornments. Musically its actually quite fascinating, though not quite up to par with Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction. Still, well worth your time.
  2. CodyT.
    Jan 20, 2010
    Thoroughly impressed with this release. Spoon have taken a few steps back from the commercial accessibility of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and have crafted a tight, and at times paculiar album of half-thought out tracks that are in fact demos. This album has a very genuine, homemade feel to it and if you allow it to this record will bring you closer to Spoon than you've ever been,
  3. KurtC
    Jan 20, 2010
    I really like the stripped down sound they've crafted here. Their restraint allows you to really focus on the song compositions themselves, the subtle yet catchy melodies and grooves, and the overall excellent musicianship.
  4. ErinH
    Jan 22, 2010
    Pretty darn good record. Not their best but definitely not bad.
  5. BenH
    Feb 3, 2010
    Far and away my favorite spoon album. Every song has a great hook or groove, which we expect from spoon. More importantly, every song is distinctive without wearing out its welcome - the things you come to love about the songs don't define the songs. On past spoon albums, after giving it 5 spins, you can almost experience the entire song after only a few seconds. Each track on Far and away my favorite spoon album. Every song has a great hook or groove, which we expect from spoon. More importantly, every song is distinctive without wearing out its welcome - the things you come to love about the songs don't define the songs. On past spoon albums, after giving it 5 spins, you can almost experience the entire song after only a few seconds. Each track on Transference has pleasures that only unfold throughout the song. So good. Expand
  6. johnw.
    Jan 19, 2010
    Amazing note for note. SPOON never disappoints!
  7. HarlanS.
    Jan 19, 2010
    Spoon can do no wrong.
  8. AlexV.
    Jan 20, 2010
    I enjoyed every part of this album. You can listen it wherever you want: at home, in car, everywhere.
  9. da
    Jan 21, 2010
    "Nothing more than guitar, bass, precussion, and Britt Daniel's voice" ...and piano and keyboards. but nothing more than that, right? And is it really okay to say that the seventh album...strips the music down? And was it the seventh full-length album produced by the band? Misrepresenting an album (and butchering a language) all in one lousy sentence - you did it!
  10. JohnS.
    Jan 22, 2010
    Spoon sounds defeated on this record and defeat has never sounded better. Britt Daniels and the boys create a collection of songs with only one misstep,the first track. This is an excellent record filled with great songs.
  11. WilliamN.
    Jan 25, 2010
    Spoon takes a small step backward in the sense that the songs are less catchy this time out, but a huge step forward in the overall impact of the songs.
  12. JackG.
    Jan 26, 2010
    It took me three listens before this album was cemented among spoon's greatest. The persistence was worth it! This is definitely the most interesting music I've heard in a long while.
  13. JohnM.
    Jan 21, 2010
    No doubt about, Spoon has made some of the best records of the past decade and a half, but I feel like this one falls just a bit short. I don't find myself playing these songs in my head at work the way I would with Ga Ga Ga Ga, Gimme Fiction or A Series of Sneaks songs. But in all honesty, a mediocre Spoon record still beats most other band's masterpieces.
  14. C.B.
    Jan 25, 2010
    Good - not great - but definitely worth a spin or two. The album suffers a bit from its lackluster production. Just because the songs are stripped down doesn't mean the overall sound quality should be.
  15. Aug 12, 2010
    Turning their back on the soulful, brassy pop of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, Spoon have instead produced a studio-honed approximation of their rawest, most unhinged music. Production tricks intentionally jar and give Transference a willfully challenging air. Behind the torn-apart vocals and unnerving fragments of sound, however, is as strong a set of compositions as the band have ever written.Turning their back on the soulful, brassy pop of Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, Spoon have instead produced a studio-honed approximation of their rawest, most unhinged music. Production tricks intentionally jar and give Transference a willfully challenging air. Behind the torn-apart vocals and unnerving fragments of sound, however, is as strong a set of compositions as the band have ever written. Emotionally draining, of course; unconventionally structured, yes - but this should still secure its place in the pantheon of great albums like virtually every Spoon album that has come before it. Expand
  16. Jan 25, 2012
    Transference is probably Spoon's most odd album. It's a little less catchy than most of their other albums but don't get me wrong, Transference is one of their best. It's a more personal album that needs to be experienced rather than listened too. Spoon just seems to always get better. A-
  17. j30
    Feb 1, 2012
    If you were expecting another Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga then this will be a huge disappointment for you. The first time I listened to Transference I had to take a step back (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga still remains my favorite Spoon album) and reexamine everything they had done to this point. This record just makes sense at this point in their career. Their 7th studio album was not only produced by themselves,If you were expecting another Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga then this will be a huge disappointment for you. The first time I listened to Transference I had to take a step back (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga still remains my favorite Spoon album) and reexamine everything they had done to this point. This record just makes sense at this point in their career. Their 7th studio album was not only produced by themselves, half of the tracks are in their demo form, giving the record a more personable, home studio feel. Expand

1. Ratcheting his reticence up half a turn, he opens with his bleakest new song, and only if you follow his chronically noncommittal lyrics will you notice his emotions opening up along with his tunes, his attitudes along with his structures.
  2. As usual, the production is raw with traces of the recording process still evident. Although Transference lacks the overwhelming variety of "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga," there are notable moments of exploration. [Feb 2010, p.96]
  3. Spoon are equally as enjoyable, and perhaps that bit more intriguing, when they are a little bit harder to fathom. Plus, to put it simply, there ain't a duff track to be found here.