True Romance - Charli XCX
8.1

Review this album

1. Apr 17, 2013
    A lot of hype, for me, going into this... I've been waiting well over a year now for this album, and I was sure that there was no way it was going to live up to the hype that I had built up for it in myself. Am I disappointed that I already knew 5 songs on it? Maybe a little bit, but it would have only mattered if the other 8 songs weren't worthwhile, but they WERE. She's a wonderful mixture of the persona of Ke$ha, the lyrics of Lily Allen and the music of Purity Ring. I really couldn't ask for more.

Of the songs we already had, "Nuclear Seasons" is certainly her best song. It may still be the best thing she's ever done, but wow, "Lock You Up" is a killer little 80s number. I can't say no to that. Other tracks worth note: "You (Ha Ha Ha), "Stay Away", What I Like, and "You're the One"

In short, it's going to take a lot for her to ever do anything wrong in my eyes, every single thing she's released (officially...the mix tapes are another story) has been at least a 7 or higher for me (on a 10 point scale). In total, the album is certainly an easy 4.5

Proud of her, it's great to see others enjoying her music as well. You follow an artist who hasn't released anything yet, and you have to get a little nervous, wondering how other people are going to feel as well, with little to see reactions in the meanwhile (certainly not saying I'm the only one who was aware of her before now, not at all). So, this is a great day in music for me!
  2. Aug 30, 2013
    First off, I never heard of Charli XCX, I saw that she was releasing a album on iTunes and I was curious to see what the young woman could give me. Now some people may know who XCX is as she has been doing mix tapes and EP's ever since her late teens, now in her early twenties, she is now ready to show off her talent to the mainstream. And I'm happy to report that at first you'll feel guilty, "True Romance" offers many great songs for the rest of the year with unique synth beats and amazing production making XCX's debut one of the best I've heard this year. The songwriting is excellent with Relatable lyrics about the youth, love, and the problems we face. It also helps thanks to XCX's vocals which she perfectly hits the tone the album is going for as it sounds dream like while also sound real enough. The best thing about "True Romance" is that it makes Synth pop sound cool again by not making it so mainstream. XCX use's beats, sounds, and Rhythms that sound like Pop back in the Late '80s or early '90s. It's also tightly paced and for some listeners you may get sucked into the world that XCX has created here. There are very few problems, but If I had to say some, I would have to say that it gets a little repetitive towards the end with all the sounds being heard many times you might get bored as the album's style isn't always consistent. Also like I said at the beginning not too many people will be drawn into "True Romance" as personally it isn't meant for my demographic, but I'm glad i was curious to listen to this. Charli XCX has a great future ahead of her with "True Romance" being her debut album, with Great Vocals, Interesting Social Messages, and just amazing music. To speak to all the people out there, this is a pop album you'll actually enjoy. Collapse
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    This album is extremely personal, and I really appreciate her artistic direction. The beats are amazing, her voice is great, and even though a song or two falls short, it's hard to even notice them because this is one of the best albums I've heard this year.
  4. May 12, 2013
    Charli XCX is one of the best people ever. Her music is very amazing. I didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure if it was going to be good, but it was AMAZING. This is really her type of music. I can't think of any other type of music that she could sing except for this. It's really amazing. I adore You (Ha Ha Ha). I hope she makes more music because she is amazing!
  5. Apr 23, 2013
    Didn't know quite what to expect from this album and was pleasantly surprised. There's quite a mixture of different types of electronica. From the kooky Nuclear Seasons and Set Me Free to the laid back What I Like and the 80's influenced Lock You Up, there's something here for every type of electronic fan. Charli has a lot of talent and control over her work for one so young, she just needs to push it that bit further. Expand
  6. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a very good album, from its amazing imagery provoking lyrics and electronic drums to its catchy and memorable yet unique melodies. However while some of the tracks are quite boring, the ones that are good are so good you will not forget them.

1. Jul 17, 2013
    There isn’t a moment when Charli XCX doesn’t display the kind of wild, brash confidence that other artists take years to arrive at.
  2. Apr 25, 2013
    Like 90s pop stars turned 10s pop sophisticates Justin Timberlake and Beyoncé, Charli XCX stamps her personality across the entire project, and True Romance suggests she'll be worth following for a while.
    At the moment, her music is best consumed in blog-sized chunks, not as a stodgy 48-minute album.