Twoism [EP]

8.7

Review this album

1. marselb
    Jun 8, 2003
    Beginning with Twoism in 1995, their debut LP, Boards Of Canada have created an album that even to this day, mid 2003, has not been matched in its own right. The record begins with almost 15 minutes of emotion, or in musical terms ambience at its purest. What is to unexperienced listeners an annoying unstableness in tune, a constant bending of what is being presented, is soon followed by Beginning with Twoism in 1995, their debut LP, Boards Of Canada have created an album that even to this day, mid 2003, has not been matched in its own right. The record begins with almost 15 minutes of emotion, or in musical terms ambience at its purest. What is to unexperienced listeners an annoying unstableness in tune, a constant bending of what is being presented, is soon followed by a euphoric feeling of well-being as the listener is encapsulated in this imperfect reality. Listening to all of BoC's records shows that BoC tends to keep away from the smooth and clear sounds that regular ravers are accustomed to, their journey is to explore those uncomfortable dark areas of sound and they are doing it in the form of down-beat analogue drone style music. The way in which BoC's approach differs, is that their sound digs itself deeper and deeper into your core the further through the album you get, most audiophiles will find themselves unbale to go near the fast forward button, because it is in those little short details that the beauty of BoC's music lies. It is an art they have truly mastered before ever releasing their material commercially, and I for one appreciate it greatly. To finish off, this record is worth a 10 out of 10 score, even though i only gave it 9, the reason being that i believe there is no such thing as THE perfect album, if there was i wouldn't continue looking for it....but after Twoism, I know i am looking in the right direction! Thanks BoC Expand
  2. Paul
    Dec 15, 2005
    IMO Boards of Canada's best. Probably the ultimate album for a reflective come down. 'Melissa Juice' has the strongest pastoral feel of any piece of art I've ever come across. Most of the rest hit deep in their own way, all of it pretty druggy, with the typical Boards of Canada sound. Don't expect anything particularly new, though 'Basfree', for example, IMO Boards of Canada's best. Probably the ultimate album for a reflective come down. 'Melissa Juice' has the strongest pastoral feel of any piece of art I've ever come across. Most of the rest hit deep in their own way, all of it pretty druggy, with the typical Boards of Canada sound. Don't expect anything particularly new, though 'Basfree', for example, is somewhat different. 'Twoism' is my favorite track. The version of 'Smokes Quantity' has an incredible ending, some of the best stuff they've done. My favorite from my favorite group. Expand
  3. triklops
    Jul 19, 2003
    its like my own energize cube
  4. somehuman
    Dec 24, 2002
    Just wonderful, when i listen to this i find myself somewhere in another world surrounded by this wonderful music. Every track reflects an own special emotion. Most i like the first track called sixtyniner, very melancholic and taking one back into time. This is music which is worth paying money on it, get this one as soon as you can !!!
  5. Oct 16, 2015
    Twoism, which means: 'in the fall', has such a distinct sound that not only provides amazing head bobbing but also a very odd spiritual feel to they're music. Nothing about this album is bad, and everything about it is great so it to me deserves a 10/10
    10/10 masterpiece

1. Mixer
    Anyone interested in thoughtful, moody downtempo instrumentals will definitely enjoy this. [Dec 2002, p.76]
  2. Twoism features the same exquisitely spooky, textured emotronica that fans will want to hear, all at as high a level as the brilliant Music Has the Right to Children to boot.
  3. In a sense, these thirty-six minutes show that the duo has basically been stuck in neutral since 1995.