Unapologetic - Rihanna
5.8

Review this album

1. Nov 24, 2013
    Dull, numb and stupid. Rihanna releases a new single accompanied with other 13 songs that don't stand out. Best tracks: Diamonds. Listenable tracks: Pour it Up. Hated tracks: are there any more tracks on this album?
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    We can clearly see a decline in Rihanna's music over the years. It seems like the fame has sunk into her and that she believes that whatever quality music she makes, it will still be purchased and acclaimed. Very disappointed!!!!
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    When diamonds first came out, I liked it but I thought it was a little bland. So when I heard an album of even blander songs, I was bored to death. In addition to that, half the songs sound like generic rap songs that every other artist does. What happened to Rihanna from the past?
  4. Sep 11, 2013
    The worst album by her so far. When someone tries to work on so many things at one time [Recording, Dating, Designing clothes, Acting] that comes out with horrible results just hear: "Pour It Up", "Phresh Out The Runaway" and "Loveeeeee Song" and you'll know what i mean. Nobody's Business is the best song on it. But that's not enough to impress the world.
  5. Jul 11, 2013
    Is funny how Rihanna's first number one album in the US could be the worst album in her career. This girl is always making the same things in her songs.
  6. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. "Unapologetic" Uma Porcaria Rihanna Mal Acaba De Fazer "Talk That Talk" Em 2011 Que Já Um Disco Muito Ruim Com Turnê,Três Videos E Lança Um Apenas Um Ano Depois Fora Que Tem Uns 3 Meses De Shows Mais 1 Mês De Video Do Cd "Talk That Talk" Claro Que Não Ia Sair Um Disco Bom Só Tem Duas Músicas Boas Diamonds E What Now Mas Nem Essas Duas Salvou O Disco.
    E Stay,Lost In Paradise E Right Now Mediano E O Resto Insuportável
  7. Duu
    May 22, 2013
    The quick and dirty of this album is: There are 14 songs and only four ones worth listening to. "Diamonds" is a classic song of our era (congrats to Rihanna and Sia--the songwriter) The reason I gave this album four is because even though this album has four out of fourteen good songs, "Diamonds" is such an epically well constructed and career defining song, it is the same as having 2 or 3 good songs on an album. Beyond "Diamonds", the other good songs are "Pour it Up", "Loveeeeeee Song", and "Jump" which recycles/re-imagines Ginuwine's hit song "Pony". Generally speaking, this album is not a complete album and Rihanna should have just released a few singles. Expand
  8. Apr 11, 2013
    I dont know what Rihanna is thinking trying to release a full length album every year. Her quality has gone WAY down even since the release of "Loud" her last good record. There are only two good songs on this album, "Stay" and "Diamonds". I feel she needs to talk a good 2-3 years and work on the QUALITY of her music again and not just worry about the quantity that she releases.
  9. Mar 24, 2013
    I Love Rihanna! LOUD And Talk That Talk Were Perfect Albums! This Album Is By Far Rihanna's Worst! There Are So Many Things Wrong With This Album But Dubstep Is The Main Issue! Vocally Rihanna Is Still Here Though... Diamond, Stay And Mother Marry Are Great Song... The Rest Belong In A Strip Club's Trash Can.. As A MEGA Fan I'm Really Sad That This Album Sucked!
  10. Mar 4, 2013
    in my opinion this is the worst album she has ever released..the only song that i like is stay...! i was expecting sth different..she should release another album this year that will be like her previews ones so we will forget about this so bad album.
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    I miss when Rihanna knew how to make great songs and great albuns like " Loud " , " Rated R " ,Unapologetic is so disapointing . The songs don't have any feeling is just electronical sounds , she should stop for a while and make good albuns like she used to.
  12. Jan 11, 2013
    Rihanna's worst album so far. think she should care more about releasing good albums than an album every year. There are more ballads, unlike most of her previous albums. I liked her new music, but I like her old music better. She tries several different genres in the album, so you will like some songs regardless of your taste. The first few tracks are really stupid, but the rest of the album is not that bad.
    Track by track review (a little bit long, so I hope you don't fall asleep):
    1. Presh Out The Runway - 0/10 - It just sounds unfinished. Her voice is robotic, the instrumental could have been a lot better, and the lyrics are too stupid and don't make any sense.
    2. Diamonds - 8/10 - I didn't really like it at first, but now I think it's pretty good song. The lyrics in the chorus don't make so much sense (are there any diamonds in the sky?) , but overall it's a good and inspirating song. Slower than most of Rihanna's music.
    3. Numb (feat. Eminem) - 0/10 - Like in "Phresh Out The Runway", Rihanna sounds too robotic, and also Eminem couldn't sound weirder in this song. The lyrics are basically "I'm going numb" repeated several times, which isn't really creative.
    4. Pour It Up - 1/10 - Again, Rihanna sounds robotic and weird. The lyrics are too repetitive, does she really have to repeat "still got my money" in the entire song?
    5. Loveeeeeee Song (feat. Future) - 0/10 - Rihanna sounds too robotic (again?) and Future sounds like he wants to kill you when he should sound romantic.
    6. Jump - 4/10 - One of the few not-so-bad tracks in the album. Rihanna still sounds a bit robotic, but the composition is pretty enjoyable and the lyrics make some sense, except for the "ride it, my pony" part that is just an attempt to talk about sex while keeping the track clean.
    7. Right Now (feat. David Guetta) - 9/10 - Again, a good track in the album. A good and fun beat and lyrics that actually make sense. Best track in the album.
    8. What Now - 7/10 - Nice and unexpected ballad, even though she sounds different from usual. Again, a good track in the album. Slower than most of her songs, which is not really a bad thing in this case.
    9. Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko) - 6/10 - Good track, but I didn't really like some of Rihanna's parts, even though it's her song. Mikky Ekko really makes it better. Quite enjoyable if you like ballads.
    10. Nobody's Business (feat. Chris Brown) - 8/10 - Even though Chris Brown sounds a bit annoying in this song, it's a pretty good and fun song. The composition is great for the parties, and I really think the lyrics are about some of Rihanna's life.
    11. Love Without Tragedy / Mother Mary - 7/10 - The song is good. The lyrics are sad, but what's a ballad without sad lyrics? It's like "Titanic", you feel sad watching/listening to it but you like it anyway.
    12. Get It Over With - 2/10 - Streak of good songs successfully broken. Her voice doesn't fit the lyrics, and the metaphor about "floating in the clouds" doesn't make any sense. The composition is not so bad though.
    13. No Love Allowed - 3/10 - The composition is not so good, but the lyrics do make some sense, except for some parts like "911, it's a critical emergency yeah, run run run" that don't really have much to do with dangerous love the rest of the song describes.
    14. Lost In Paradise - 8/10 - One of the best tracks in the album. Not a slow ballad, but not really a dance track. Different from anything Rihanna's ever released. Not quite sure how to describe it.
  13. Dec 23, 2012
    Rihanna Has Proven In The Past To Make Good Albums (Loud, And Talk That Talk)
    But Sadly This Album Is By Far A Major Low Point In Her Music Carrer.. If Every Song Was Like Diamonds And Mother Marry I Would Give It A 10! I Only Liked Two Songs, I'm Being Very Harsh Because She Can Do So Much Better!
  14. Dec 6, 2012
    I just have mixed feelings about this album, I was excited when I purchased this album but with the majority of songs on "Unapologetic" that I listened to, I was disappointed. It didn't appeal to me like the previous albums that she has made e.g "Loud" or "Talk That Talk". "Unapologetic" is certainly not the best album that has been made by R&B star Rihanna. I give her credit that her lead single off her album "Diamonds" was good, but that's the only positive feedback I can give this album. Expand
  15. Nov 28, 2012
    It doesn't matter what the music that this woman makes sounds like. She is dating the man who beat the **** out of her. She is validating abuse against women to millions of her fans. If you buy this album you are indirectly encouraging abused women to stay in abusive relationships. Don't give this stupid woman a cent of your hard-earned money.
  16. Nov 26, 2012
    Of all songs on Rihanna's album, I liked only two - Lost In Paradise and Stay, all the others were just forced with sounds and her emotions. Although the song Fool In Love from her Loud album is also forced with emotions, she did that song absolutely perfectly, but the one - Nobody's Business - was just too much. Lost In Paradise was absolutely gorgeous, I enjoyed listening to that song, it has rhythm, positive vibrations and just feels good... I would love that Rihanna makes songs like Lost In Paradise or Stay, they are perfect, all the others are awfull... My overall rating for this album is 4. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2012
    The production of this album is just gives a lot to talk about. This Album Is Poor in the lyrics, on the sound, only the vocals is something good on this album. Even the artwork and the essence that this album gives is the same as Talk That Talk and Rated R, She should wait to release her albums a little bit longer.
  18. Nov 21, 2012
    LMAO at people giving this album a 10, its a 3 at best with only a few decent songs and production. And it has nothing to do with her situation with Chris Brown or any other excuse. Her music just gets worse and worse but it doesnt matter because her stans will never admit it.
  19. Nov 21, 2012
    WOW, can't believe that Rihanna will collaborate with a man who abused her and be so nonchalant about it. Her actions are irresponsible and sends the wrong message to her young fans. She should be setting a better example. Other than that, the music doesn't live up to the hype. It doesn't contain any of those anthemic hits that brought her stardom and we've grown to love. Overall very rushed and not many good songs. Disappointed in Rihanna and her music. Expand
  20. Nov 21, 2012
    Very bad album. I like only 4 of the songs - Phresh Off The Runway, Jump, Stay and Right Now. The other tracks are bland and boring. This album is the worst from Rihanna. She is trying to hard to be ghetto while she isn't. She is a POP star and she must embrace it!
  21. Nov 20, 2012
    NOVEMBER 2011: Overall, Talk That Talk is a poor effort. While there are still some highlights, the album is a huge downgrade compared to her previous albums. I wouldn't surprised if she does another album next year.

NOVEMBER 2012: Well, another year has passed and Rihanna has done another album. Big **** surprise there.

After last year's half-assed cheap cash-in piece of **** that
    is Talk That Talk, you'd think that Rihanna, her songwriters and producers would have learned their lessons from that album and her record label should've let her have a break from the music world for a while. But NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! They have to make another ridiculously rushed product just to cash in on a already ridiculously rushed product.

This album is just **** terrible. The lyrics were boring and repetitive, the music is uninspired and I felt like they wasted Eminem's talent on the track Numb. If you're expecting another Love the Way You Lie from them well don't. Eminem's rapping only lasted 30 seconds. WHAT IS THE **** POINT ON PUTTING HIM ON THE SONG ANYWAY???

Alot of the tracks on this album are just fillers and uninteresting to listen to and I fell asleep half the time.

But the album starts to get good during the second half of the album with tracks like Stay being a nice piano track, Half of Me is a pretty good track pretty much thanks to one of the writers being Emeli Sandé and Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary being by far the best track on the album.

But the track Nobody's Business was just disturbing to listen to much due to the fact that it has Chris Brown on the track because well, he beat Rihanna up like a bodybag three years ago. While it has a nice sound and a OK sample usage from Michael Jackson's track The Way You Make Me Feel, you just cannot help but just thinking about the incident at the back of your mind.

Rihanna's vocals on the album is once again a hit and miss. Some tracks she can give out really powerful vocal chords and yet on some of the tracks like Phresh Out the Runway, Pour It Up, Right Now and No Love Allowed I just felt like she was just using one different vocal chord on each of those tracks and it has got really stale.

While it still have some gems, the album as a whole though is just a bore. For most of the album's length, Rihanna's singing is dull, the music is dull and it feels more like a half-assed EP than it is a full length album.

With rushed under-produced tracks, rushed production values, being boring as hell and relentlessly forgettable, Unapologetic is a big mess.

Track Picks:

Diamonds,
    Stay,
    Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary and
    Half of Me

DW Rating:

1.5 stars out of 5
  22. Nov 20, 2012
    One of my most anticipated releases this year and I'm left disappointed. "Unapologetic" could of been a great album, but it lacks those BIG dance anthems that Rihanna is known for. Overall very vapid and no artistry whatsoever!
  23. Nov 19, 2012
    too much auto tune going one as she has changed both her appearances and voices many times to keep up with the other artists trying to be something that they are not.
  24. Nov 19, 2012
    What did Rihanna do? The album cover is terrible. The songs on the album are terrible. The lyrics of every song are terrible.. The only listenable song is "Diamonds" (the remix) too much party for rihanna
  25. Nov 19, 2012
    This album, like all other Rihanna albums, seems rushed and is full of album fillers. There are two stand out songs, 'Diamond' and 'Half of Me'. Shocking as it may, 'Numb' featuring Eminem is the most disappointing.
  26. Nov 19, 2012
    I like Rihanna, but her formula is getting stale. It's almost like she's not needed on the project; she's not the engine behind the album. The main figures on this album seems to be the producers and the host of writers employed. She serves up some urban cuts and sappy ballads. She also collaborates with her beloved, convicted domestic abuser Chris Brown on the insulting "Nobodies Business." Overall, 1 or 2 ok tracks and the rest same old, same old. Expand
  27. Nov 19, 2012
    What did Rihanna do?

Let's just start from the basics. The album cover is terrible. The songs on the album are terrible. The lyrics of every song are terrible. She needs new writers, or to just start writing her songs.

The only listenable songs are "Diamonds", "Lost in Paradise", and "Nobody's Business". Don't bother buying the rest.

1. Nov 28, 2012
    The now-24-year-old's voice may be simple, but it's distinctive--and as defiant as her album titles.
  2. Nov 26, 2012
    Even when Unapologetic fails, it often does so in interesting ways.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    Sonically, the first half of Unapologetic picks up on the syrupy Southern hip-hop minimalism popular last summer, while much of the latter half is a grab bag of unwieldy balladry.