Untrue - Burial
7.7

Review this album

1. Oct 6, 2010
    Even though it is classified as dubstep, don't expect any bassy oscillation of what todays dubstep is composed of. This album is a stroke of genius and was and still is a breathe of fresh air. Emotionally pounding tracks like 'In McDonalds' and 'Endorphin' will bring about sensations that are unexplained, tracks like 'Shell of Light' will leave you completely hypnotised. This clever arrangement of distorted sampling really gives every song a soul. I find it musically insulting how some user critics have shunned this album saying it's 'uninspired and boring'. I think its rather them who are uninspired and boring. Expand
  2. Sep 13, 2011
    This isn't music... it's what I call Audio Art. or Art Music, or.... well. Anyway, what makes this album great is it takes you to a lonely place where nobody's around, thank god. Maybe one other person. It's stormy, it's dark and the underground tunnels are rather tricky to navigate, but you're having the time of your life. Shame the song finishes though, and you're back to your not-so-lucky real life. It's that brilliant amnesia you get listening to these songs making me have to give it a ten. Expand
  3. Jan 17, 2011
    I'm sorry, but this album did nothing but give me headaches; the beats are simply repetitive, and the images that the album tries to conjure are either non-interesting or just down depressing.
  4. Mar 12, 2012
    Absolutely incredible. Burial's unique blend of dubstep and garage is further refined in his second full lenght release, conjuring up the same bleak, melancholic atmospheres but with new depth and focus. Faultless.
  5. Jan 4, 2012
    Repetitive?, guess what, is electronic music. Since the 60s, electronic music has always been repetitive. And that's the best part when you love the beat, the echos and the vocals. You want to listen to that, again and again and a hundred times more. Open your minds, the electronic music is the most varied genre ever, because there are so many artists, each one with it's own style, so many tracks... Expand
  6. Jan 7, 2012
    I've heard it described as the sound of London at night, and I agree. Sorrowful early-morning comedowns set to fuzzy radios. I guess some people don't get it, but you can't attack it for repetitiveness, the monotony compliments the sad bass fading in and out, and the twisted vocals sound beautiful floating over the whole thing.
  7. Sep 28, 2012
    I think you must get it to like it. btw most (if not all) of the songs actually have lyrics, but they´re hard to understand. i think im slowly getting it.
  8. Nov 29, 2013
    Given this a listen only a couple of days ago, I must say its an experience like no other. Burial did his thing with sampling and used it like a pro. I hope to hear a follow up to this near-masterpiece.
  9. May 23, 2013
    If you're looking for something to dance to, then this is the wrong album for you. If not, continue reading. Just like with most of his music, Burial blends together an extremely tranquil, deep and harmonious experience, plus if you like emotional things, Untrue is definitely something to give a listen to. It's not the best album I've ever heard, but it is definitely in my Top 10.
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    I wasn't a huge fan of the album after the first half dozen listens. But something kept me coming back for repeated listens. Then during a random listen, it just hit me, the sound which seemed mediocre to me before, was incredible! One of my all-time favorite albums, and easily one of the oddest experiences I've had with an album.
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    With fast tempos despite bone-chilling ambiance, Untrue manages to be arguably one of the greatest dubstep albums ever. However, don't expect this one to hit you immediately. When I first listened to this album, I thought it had nice beats, but those seemed to drone a bit too much and I lost interest. Luckily, I gave it a second chance and was left in tears by the emotional intensity of every song of this album; yet I still felt the uncontrollable urge to move to the album's incredible and subtly varied rhythms. It is not often an electronica album can be this physically and emotionally moving. In fact, I cannot think of another example. Expand
  12. May 8, 2014
    The best ambient album of all time. Burial is a hugely unappreciated artist on the electronic scene, and this is his highest quality collection of musical pieces. I look forward to future full-length albums.

1. Burial has concocted a noir-ish sound that’s as powerful as it is atmospheric.
  2. What gives this album more depth is the focus, the rolling symmetry and cinema.
  3. That emptiness tempts a listener in, and puts you in its place--you, in a sense, step into the record’s point of view. This invitation to intimacy is a powerful move that most club music is simply incapable of.