• Record Label: XL
  • Release Date: Jan 29, 2008
8.4

Review this album

1. Jul 22, 2011
    It's rare to find an album as perfect as this. Vampire Weekend has such a unique sound and flavor if you will that it makes it impossible not to love. A very impressive start to a very impressive new band.
  2. Apr 25, 2012
    A truly interesting album. Vampire Weekend introduces unfamiliar instruments and world sounds to an American audience, but still manages to the stay within the idiom of western rock. A worthwhile listen from beginning to end.
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    A perfect album trough and through. The self-titled album is one of the most refreshing pieces in modern music. Arcade Fire has almost seemingly invented a style of music than can be defined as the "Vampire Weekend Style." A perfect album, no song is a let down, it's pure fun that makes one envision themselves in Cape Cod.
  4. Oct 6, 2010
    Songs such as One and Mansard Roof are terrible additions to an album that contains the pure awesomeness of M79, A-Punk and Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa. This album is so over hyped and is merely favoured for being a splash of Indie in the otherwise bland Pop machine that is the mainstream
  5. Mar 18, 2011
    Fantastic. Engaging and creative band, with similar characteristics to the Hives. I agree with Chads, Is Vampire Weekend this generation's Talking Heads, undoubtedly :)
  6. Mar 31, 2012
    Vampire Weekend is a unique indie band. Their self-titled debut album has everything you'd hope for in an indie debut. Catchy songs, witty lyrics, and simple crafts that ultimately make this album one of the best albums of my generation. All In All, Vampire Weekend is a great record that never gets old. A-
  7. Feb 8, 2014
    Genre: Alternative
    The debut album from Vampire Weekend quickly established them as one of my favourite bands. A great mix of upbeat and slower tempo tunes that are all stamped with their own unique quality.
  8. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    Vampire Weekends solid self-titled debut mixes clever lyrics, interesting pop melodies, and just average instrumentals.
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    The studio album debut by the American rock band is one of this year’s weirdest albums. The lyrics are completely off-key at times, but that doesn’t stop the band from sounding great. Their songs bring a jolly vacation-sound with them and most of them honestly succeed in making me feel good when I listen to them. At times, you even can interpret intellectual stuff into the lyrics that mayThe studio album debut by the American rock band is one of this year’s weirdest albums. The lyrics are completely off-key at times, but that doesn’t stop the band from sounding great. Their songs bring a jolly vacation-sound with them and most of them honestly succeed in making me feel good when I listen to them. At times, you even can interpret intellectual stuff into the lyrics that may seem like they’re written in a different language at first sight. I can’t tell if I managed to understand what Vampire Weekend were trying to tell us with these eleven songs or if they were at all trying to tell us something, but the musical style makes this good regardless of the lyrics. Many different ingredients are included in their songs, namely multiple genres and instruments that help every song to sound fairly unique. And probably the biggest reason for why this band is so personable to the listener is because you can tell that those four guys had the biggest fun ever recording this album. And you’ll have fun too with listening to it. Expand
  10. Nov 9, 2012
    The most original album released in years, Vampire Weekend has given us a taste of something great here.
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    Hmmm... I guess people dont understand this is a review for the album not a review for 2 live songs. But anyways, this album is fun and entertaining. Call it unoriginal but guess what?? NOTHING is original anymore. Come on get real people...
  12. Aug 22, 2013
    [8.5] A perfect debut, with some incredibly fun songs, but doesn't quite reach the depth of their second album. Or third for that matter. Vampire Weekend sounds natural and clean, and their music will only get better in time.
  13. May 12, 2013
    Generally good, but there's nothing really special on the album. Despite its 30+ minutes running time the songs seem to drag on to the end. Otherwise, an ''impressive'' debut.
  14. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This album is very special and i've known it ever since it came out! First of the three amazing albums by Vampire Weekend! Best songs in my opinion: A-punk, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa, M79 Expand
  15. Nov 25, 2013
    Vampire Weekend gets serious praise for setting themselves apart from every other contemporary band, using an assortment of instruments ranging from baroque sounds to electronica. Nearly every beat on the album works, and the music isn't quite so eager to raise its voice as, say Arctic Monkeys or Muse. You can be quiet and interesting at the same time.

That said, there's quite a bit of

That said, there's quite a bit of filler going on here. Come on, Vampire Weekend. If you can use your abilities to make some of the tracks on here really interesting, you should be able to make ALL of them interesting. I can't help but think how much better this could be than it already is. Perhaps this needs some time to grow on me, but I've scrutinized the music here for more than half an hour, and left underwhelmed. On top of that, it gets especially annoying whenever Ezra sprinkles his falsetto all over a song, the prime offender being "One (Blake's Got a New Face)", an otherwise really good track.

But this really isn't all bad. I would definitely revisit some of these tracks a little more in the future, especially "Walcott". There are a bunch of good songs to hear, but few GREAT ones.

I give this a 7 out of 10. Pretty good, but my bar was higher.

STANDOUT TRACKS: MANSARD ROOF, OXFORD COMMA, CAMPUS, I STAND CORRECTED, WALCOTT
  16. Jan 15, 2015
    In its tiny 35 minutes, Vampire Weekend develops in such an easy and charismatic way that it's definitely one of the most impressive, uplifting, assuring and convincing debuts of last times.
  17. Mar 5, 2015
    Truly a fantastic album! The songs are all perfect and sound amazing. Those who say that all songs sound the same really didn't listen, because each track has it's own unique feel/emotion that went along with it. Truly a phenomenal track that actually got me into what is now my favourite band.

1. Fully realized debut albums like Vampire Weekend come along once in a great while, and these songs show that this band is smart, but not too smart for their own good.
  2. Listeners are only too lucky to get a hot breath of summer fun in these cold winter months.
  3. At its best, Vampire Weekend takes the exceedingly familiar template of indie rock and invigorates it with a chiming guitar sound that suggests the band has been spending its downtime browsing afropop.org.