• Record Label: Warp
  • Release Date: May 26, 2009
8.8

Review this album

1. Nov 5, 2010
    It's pulls you in with Two Weeks, and just grows on you from there on in. Grab your headphones and prepare to go on a musical journey for the next 50 minutes, almost every song is a classic and the album flows very well.
  2. RyeR.
    May 29, 2009
    The year's best album. With a bullet.
  3. Andy
    May 27, 2009
    A Pet Sounds inspired record that does not sound derivative. You won't hear many bands create more beautiful music than Grizzly Bear do on Veckatimest.
  4. DaveG
    May 29, 2009
    Yeah, I get the whole "oh it's just this year's it band" criticism. Get past that, and it's the best record all year, hands down-- and I've already gushed over Animal Collective.
  5. MarkF
    Jun 2, 2009
    A progression of sorts from 2006's Yellow House. It's livelier but not as consistently good as its predecessor.
  6. jabezT.
    Jun 6, 2009
    This is simply a great album. Beautiful vocals and arrangements. I just saw them at Town Hall in NYC and they were fantastic. Ben Ratliff of the NY Times called their music cold, but he's dead wrong. This music celebrates the most human element in pop music, the voice, and surpasses others like the Beach Boys and Animal Collective on so many levels. I fell in love with the internet This is simply a great album. Beautiful vocals and arrangements. I just saw them at Town Hall in NYC and they were fantastic. Ben Ratliff of the NY Times called their music cold, but he's dead wrong. This music celebrates the most human element in pop music, the voice, and surpasses others like the Beach Boys and Animal Collective on so many levels. I fell in love with the internet download, then bought the CD and it is well worth it for the improvement in sound. This is one to treasure. Expand
  7. MattG
    Jul 1, 2009
    This is an album for people who want their music to take them on a journey, where the discoveries made along the way are just as important as the destination itself. Veckatimest conntinues to reveal itself with every listen, proving that it is an album that will stand the test of time. I pity those who listen to it once and dismiss it as they are missing out on something special. From the This is an album for people who want their music to take them on a journey, where the discoveries made along the way are just as important as the destination itself. Veckatimest conntinues to reveal itself with every listen, proving that it is an album that will stand the test of time. I pity those who listen to it once and dismiss it as they are missing out on something special. From the grandiose opener Southern Point to the gorgeous closer Foreground it is an intricate and delicate musical experience. It's hard to think of an album with 2 better, abliet contrastingly different, bookends. And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Jeff Buckley similarities. If you liked Grace, give this a listen. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  8. GinoM
    Sep 9, 2009
    On of the greatest albums of the year if not the decade. I love heavy riffs, hard'n'fast tempos, and simplicity, but once in a while it's fantastic to find comfort in such a sublime and carefully crafted album.
  9. garrettj
    May 27, 2009
    One of this years best. Beautifully arranged, Veckatimest soars from start to finish.
  10. JamesB.
    May 27, 2009
    This is an absolutely stunning and gorgeous album! There's not a single clunker on it, though I DO have my personal favs. This masterful album's intricacy and intimacy is profoundly felt and appreciated indeed. "Veckatimest" is certainly destined to be lauded as one of 2009's best albums for sure.
  11. JamesN
    Prime contender for MPP.
  12. MattR
    Jun 1, 2009
    Grizzly Bear's best album to date, an orchestral exploration of musical oddities and minor keys.
  13. P.B
    Jul 10, 2009
    Better with every listening.
  14. DavidS
    Aug 29, 2009
    My daughter bought this CD for me because she likes them - and what a great present! This is the best album I have heard all year. Great vocals, great songs and great musicianship. Hard to pigeon hole and why would you want to? Favourite songs? All really good but I 'd have to say Southern Point and Ready, Able, and While you Wait for the Others (but I could list them all). Give this My daughter bought this CD for me because she likes them - and what a great present! This is the best album I have heard all year. Great vocals, great songs and great musicianship. Hard to pigeon hole and why would you want to? Favourite songs? All really good but I 'd have to say Southern Point and Ready, Able, and While you Wait for the Others (but I could list them all). Give this album a listen - it was an instant hit with me and continues to get bet with each listen. Expand
  15. guybrushthreepwood
    Sep 10, 2009
    This album is such a grower - on the first listen, it is instantly forgettable, asides from the first single Two Weeks perhaps, but after a week or two the subtle hooks become more apparent... then you're hooked.
  16. RooblinK
    Sep 1, 2009
    A pleasant diversion from the mundane nature of most modern music.
  17. SamT
    Sep 5, 2009
    I'll admit that it didn't immediately grab me... I had to jump from "Two Weeks" to "While you wait for the others" for the first few plays. However, this is an incredible album that grows on you more and more each time you listen to it. If you've only given it one play through... try it again. The end especially is astoundingly beautiful.
  18. JackL
    May 26, 2009
    Simple, coherent, beautiful, and growing, it unfolds over repeated listens, album of the year here comes Grizzly Bear.
  19. MycroftW
    May 28, 2009
    One listen is enough, this one raises the stakes for 2009, liked it better than Animal Collective.
  20. sergios
    May 28, 2009
    Nearly perfect album, however, I challenge Grizzly Bear to experiment somewhere above mid-tempo
  21. MeganM
    Jun 26, 2009
    Grizzly Bear
  22. JorgeB
    Jun 8, 2009
    The best album this year.
  23. garys
    Jul 30, 2009
    Cool sound. Did not sound good on the first listen but really sticks by the 3rd time around. Cannot turn it off now. Powerful instrumental and harmony mixes in a very unique and original sound These guys have the same potential as the Beatles if the right things fall into place.
  24. CurtisB
    Nov 24, 2009
    Almost flawless.
  25. MichaelH
    May 26, 2009
    Listen to the highest quality version you can, because this album is worth more than a petty leak. And plus, the album was written and performed entirely by the band, as well as being produced by one of the band members. It's pure, unconditional Grizzly Bear at their best.
  26. RaymondD.
    Great album.
  27. PedroF
    May 26, 2009
    2009's answer to "Pet Sounds." Simple as that.
  28. MichaelB
    May 26, 2009
    A perfect segue into their layered musical world, this album becomes more coherent with each listen. Its a testament to their craft when I can listen to this disc so many times over and over, only to cement my intrigue that much further.
  29. MartyJ.
    May 27, 2009
    In recent years popular music has been completely focused on making big singles that are completely throwaway. Creating a steady stream of disposable pop stars one week after another. Thank god for the increasing trend of artists such as Grizzly Bear who are determined to make "Classic Albums" and are constantly honing their trade rather than gunning for celebrity status. Veckatimest will In recent years popular music has been completely focused on making big singles that are completely throwaway. Creating a steady stream of disposable pop stars one week after another. Thank god for the increasing trend of artists such as Grizzly Bear who are determined to make "Classic Albums" and are constantly honing their trade rather than gunning for celebrity status. Veckatimest will without a doubt be looked back on in years to come as not just a great album, but one that bucked the trends to create something truely special. An album for the ages! Expand
  30. IsaacA
    May 28, 2009
    Sheer quirky brilliance that is still getting better with every listen, at least 20 listens in.

1. Ambitious yet restrained, elegant yet exciting, Veckatimest is an endlessly-rewarding album which seems destined to vie with Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion for the title of the year's best.
  2. The album dips and tips and ultimately soars as a result, Rossen and company having turned near-disaster into sonic triumph.
    Even as they feature orchestras, women's choirs, and Beach House singer Victoria Legrand on Veckatimest, the album is still an intimate, ascetic affair.