Vespertine - Björk
9.2

Review this album

1. Oct 8, 2010
    After dabbling with 90's pop, jazz and experimental punk, it seems Bjork has finally found her Icelandic feet with Vespertine. The delicate beats and swooping vocals are almost chilling at times, Vespertine is a brilliant album. There was only one song (Sun in my Mouth) that I didn't really care for. The rest are as beautiful as one another- so emotional they make you feel as though you just want to scream. Pagan poetry and Aurora are my favourites, but only just, as this album is one that I recommend anyone to hear. Expand
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    Vespertine is her best work to date, as being the most carefully prepared in refined in sound matters, also her voice couldn't be better with highlights as "Undo" "Hidden Place" "Unison" and "Pagan Poetry".
  3. Dec 3, 2011
    CLASSIC. This album is a nonstop ride through heavenly clouds. The album opens with the Erie but rhythmically unique sample of hidden place. It almost seems to awaken your poor bored soul from hibernation to enjoy one of the best albums produced in human history. The album proceeds to serenade with Bjork one of a kind sweet vocal and soft electronic beats. This album for Bjork is like the wild beast being tamed into the most proficient cold assassin. This is her best. Expand
  4. Sep 8, 2010
    This is just one of the best albums of the first decade. It's delightful, beautiful, harmonious... just a classic. Sometimes I wonder why there's so much people listening to Justin Bieber, having such great non-commercial music right here. :/
  5. Sep 22, 2010
    LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!! Best Bjork album! "Unison" was the best song on the album...All other tracks equally great. If you havn't already check it out!!!
  6. May 10, 2011
    I won't attempt to describe this work too much with words, as it is impossible. Let's use ideas instead. Some artists are able to create music that is simply more than just music. The way they blend sounds, melodies, moods, energy and words together become catalysts for the human psych, enabling our mind, body and soul to reach states that are unattainable otherwise. Björk is one of them. Vespertine is not just a collection of good songs that usually make an album an "album". Its a voyage into ourselves, through herself. As much as I totally love Homogenic, I feel that Vespertine feels more complete. Despite being less varied in style than its predecessor, it explores a unique genre all the way to its core. Lay on your bed in the dark with a good pair of headphones and listen to this before going to sleep. If you truly love music, you'll wish the experience never ends. Expand
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    Vespertine is a near masterpiece in musical intimacy. Combining unique, complex melodies with Bjork's soft and sensual voice, Vespertine becomes a total emotional experience. Love and Lust, Guilt and Shame Bjork takes the listener on an intricate ride through the dark recesses of the human experience. Bjork's not only puts her whole heart into this album, she puts into it a piece of her entire being. Experiencing Vespertine is also experiencing Bjork. The poetic, intimate, and sometimes dark lyrics resonate with you long after they're through, chilling you with each remembrance.

A musical masterpiece. An Artistic Masterpiece. A Human Masterpiece.
  8. Oct 8, 2011
    One of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. Björk's voice sounds heavenly. It's an emotional battle, her overwhelming voice vs the beautifully arranged insturmental and minimal beats. Indeed, one of the best albums ever.
  9. Oct 13, 2011
    This is easily my favorite album of all time, it has a trascendental beauty that is hard to describe with words and just has to be felt. A masterpiece.
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba
  11. Feb 20, 2012
    Arguably her best album, Vespertine show cases such intimacy through sexual verses and enchanting instrument arrangements that create imagery and concept that artists will find difficult to match. 'Undo' and 'Unison' are easily among the best of her music.
  12. Aug 29, 2012
    This Bjork's best album. It leads into a magic-winter atmosphere and, while listening to it, you won't return to reality until it ends! Best tracks: "Aurora", "Sun In My Mouth", "Pagan Poetry", "An Echo, A Stain", "Harm of Will" and "Unison".
  13. Dec 22, 2012
    Vespertine is an unique album, probably her best until date. Songs like "Hidden Place" and "Pagan Poetry" are simply divine, and "Unison" is her best song.
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Bjork's most intimate album ever. The shy twin of the outspoken" Homogenic" must be acclaimed about its sublime poetry.Other highlights are Bjork's unique voice and sound combinations which give a taste of heaven...
  15. Jan 13, 2013
    Vespertine is an amazing mixture of electronic music and art.
  16. Aug 1, 2014
    Besides her inaccessibility to mainstream audiences as always -- "Hidden Place" has to be Vespertine's poppiest moment, highlighted by instantaneously memorable melodies, shuffling beats, and sampled choir vocals -- Bjork's 2001 masterpiece has to be one of her weirdest, most sensual, and timeless records to date; it ages as well as her accompanied swan dress she wore on the album cover and at the Academy Awards that very same year. Although it's composed with some of Bjork's most signature sounds, most commonly her use of experimental electronica and scat singing, Vespertine favors more minimal yet ethereal effects to accompany the very, very sexual -- or rather, sensual -- feel in its lyricism and most importantly, Bjork's breathy vocal delivery on every track.

The highlights: "Pagan Poetry" has one of the most memorable melodies -- and most, ahem, NSFW music videos -- of the '00s, which has Bjork writing some of her most deliciously dark and desperate lyrics to the accompaniment of Asian teahouse-esque melodies, music boxes, harps, and Bjork's extraordinarily emotional and equally powerful vocals. The mood throughout the duration of Vespertine typically remains as melancholy as it is wintery ("Frosti" is a one-minute instrumental interlude that tributes the snowy season through and through to the crossfading sample of footsteps in the snow at the beginning of "Aurora"). "Cocoon" is one of the most minimal moments on the album, choosing suggestive and seductive whispers to lure the listener into a momentary coma, while "An Echo, A Stain" is its darkest; the distorted bleeps, bloops, mumbles, and choir vocals are something you'd expect to hear on an early Evanescence record.

Bjork might be more memorable for her early-'90s house music and her swan dress in the early-'00s, but Vespertine is a testiment to just how important she truly is in a music industry where "artists" cannibalize on each other's ideas instead of cooking up their own material. I'd go as far as to call Vespertine the greatest album since Bjork started her solo career in music, but I'd call it one of the greatest, most grandiose albums I've ever heard in my life. Then again, I was born in 1993 and grew up on Bjork's '00s material, but that doesn't mean I don't stand by that sentiment.
  17. Oct 29, 2013
    Pretty much the equivalent of entering a self-contained dimension filled with big-time sexuality and utter beauty. But also with incredible understanding of the darker sides of sexuality and the roleplay always involved in sexual relations.

Who would have known that shimmering harps, glitchy electronics, subdued strings and tingling music boxes would be the perfect soundtrack to that?
  18. Nov 5, 2013
    Without a doubt, the most beautiful album I have ever heard, and the first of hers I ever heard. No words can describe how I feel when I listen to this.
  19. Dec 3, 2013
    Listening to this album is like listening to the sound of angels, it is really a beautiful trip to the high above. I love all the elements in the songs, while listening to it I feel from calm to passionate and a lot more, that's why I love this album so much, it gives me a lot of feelings.
  20. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Björk's Vespertine transcends this verse of reality as she puts the listener inside a ethereal and calm universe that at the same time has the energy and beauty of a supernova. While the record unravels, we can see a pattern of minimal daily sounds that were boosted to give melodies to each song. This album sounds winter-ish and quite "domestic". It gives a "home" feeling, which I can relate to Björk's homeland, the exquisite and cold Iceland. It talks about the most variate of subjects, from (lots of) sex, family care, snow, winter in general, and even losing keys (B-Side "Domestika"). It all starts with "Hidden Place", a song that talks metaphorically about sex, love, and sort of a shelter. It samples classic music and shows some really out of this world instrumentals, that feature sounds from full choirs to shuffling cards. "Cocoon" is another one that talks about shelter, about home in a sort of way, on the way of finding home in someone else, specifically on the warmth of a kiss between two lovers standing on a melting iceberg. "It's Not Up To You" shows quite the concept of the album: the song is about a day at home, "how to master the perfect day", and how to get whatever the narrator is longing so much for. "Undo" is a jewel. The songwriting and the choir wraps it into a shell of exquisiteness. "Pagan Poetry" is the best song on the album. The crude emotions on Bjork's voice, the lyrics, the strings arrangement, her high notes, everything makes it one-of-a-kind. The song is purely about sex, extremely metaphorical. "Frosti" is a instrumental, but sounds like heaven. The melody could only be made by Bjork's skills. It's a great introduction to one of the gems of the album, "Aurora". The melody and the progressions makes it stand at the top 10 of her best songs ever. It features sounds from ice being smashed. "An Echo, A Stain" is quiet and minimalist, and need to be taken attention for one to like it. "Sun in My Mouth" has lyrics borrowed from E. E. Cummings' poem "I Will Wade Out" and it's one of the highlights from the album. The arrangement and her voice makes it sound somewhat ethereal. It should be longer. "Heirloom" has the whole instrumental sampled from "Crabcraft" by Console, and it talks about how her family takes care of her when she's sick. It has oniric lyrics and envolving melodies. "Harm of Will" has co-writing from the director Harmony Korine, and is another highlight. Divided in several parts, it puts Bjork's voice in evidence and can make one very emotional. "Unison" wraps the record with a 6-minute envolving track that is a favourite amongst several fans. It closes the album with hability only Bjork could pull out. "Generous Palmstroke" is a bonus track that should have been included on the full album. It features only Bjork's voice and a harp played with sheer talent. This album is absolutely amazing. Expand
  21. Dec 3, 2013
    Definitely her best album so far.
  22. Jan 25, 2014
    Best album ever made. So different than anything I heard before this. It completely shifted the way how I perceived the music. Only thing that surpassed it was live performance of this album in Royal Opera House.
  23. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest things that Björk has, it's her ability to create very different kinds of music, and this record is not a exception: An album which takes you to the peaceful universe that she wanted to take you from the beginning to the end of this album. With a lot ot bizarre, delicate, relaxing and melancholic electronic sounds, Björk presents you the amazing sound of her beautiful house at the top a mountain in Iceland.
    If you may have insomnia and you can't concentrate, Vespertine is the perfect solution for a good night sleep. Totally recommended
  24. May 29, 2014
    The first Bjork album I fell in love with was "Homogenic." I thought, "How the hell is she going to follow this up?" She brought in the strings on "Vespertine," but they're used differently - whereas they were icy on "Joga" and "Bachelorette," they are used in a soft and sensual manner, providing a sense of warmth among the wintry soundscape. Bjork proves that some of life's most beautiful moments are quiet. I literally can't say anything else about this album, because words aren't able to adequately capture its stunning brilliance. Expand
  25. Jul 18, 2014
    This is a powerful album!!! I cannot explain who I felt when I listened this one for the first time. All the harmony is lovely and how it sound is amazing, so awesome and greatest beauty. This is one of the best albums of all time! ♥
  26. Oct 6, 2014
    After Homogenic (I don't know why it is not here,it would rock Metacritic), this is absolutely her best album. Brilliant lyrics, unique (really, really unique) voice in a perfect harmony with the instrumental and a atmosphere that makes you want to cry but smile at the same time. Björk is God.

With Vespertine, Bjork has constructed a whispering wall of wonders, and instead of forcing everyone out, has invited the world to look through the cracks.
  2. 1997's Homogenic, also a mixture of heavy beats and strings, was not as varied or complete as this album, and while Selmasongs, last year's soundtrack to "Dancer in the Dark" (in which Björk starred), was lovely in its own sweeping, cinematic way, Björk has surpassed herself with this new work.
  3. Björk continues to mine the fine line of minimalist lushness that her last album gave birth to; with tiny, crackling, skittery beats weaving open-toned ambient beds in which her breathy, pushed-forward vocals lithely lay, the closeness and drama of her every syllable commanding attention.