Vices & Virtues - Panic! At the Disco
7.5

Review this album

1. Mar 24, 2011
    This album by Panic! At the Disco is simply stunning. Whilst it sounds different to both its predecessors, this album's new sound is excellent. Trade Mistakes and Memories being the stand-out tracks, this album has NO letdowns. An easy 10 out of 10, the best album this year and possibly this decade. The only album that comes CLOSE to this album is their old one, A Fever You Can't SweatThis album by Panic! At the Disco is simply stunning. Whilst it sounds different to both its predecessors, this album's new sound is excellent. Trade Mistakes and Memories being the stand-out tracks, this album has NO letdowns. An easy 10 out of 10, the best album this year and possibly this decade. The only album that comes CLOSE to this album is their old one, A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. Definitely worth the buy. Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2011
    close to perfection and insanely addictive, this describes my feeling when I played my ipod and began to listen to the songs of the new album of the Panic ! at the disco. Vices & Virtues is a great package of great songs. well-composing and genially performed by the band, the album introduces a all new idea for the band and this particular idea came to be the best and produces a albumclose to perfection and insanely addictive, this describes my feeling when I played my ipod and began to listen to the songs of the new album of the Panic ! at the disco. Vices & Virtues is a great package of great songs. well-composing and genially performed by the band, the album introduces a all new idea for the band and this particular idea came to be the best and produces a album that is diverse and addictive , so just listen to the album and you'll feel what I am talking about. Expand
  3. May 21, 2013
    Let me start by saying that this is not emo. "Emo" isn't even a genre! And that doesn't matter. "Vices & Virtues" is one of the most incredible (instruments-mix) albums of the year! From calm and easy-listen songs like "Always" to (a little-bit weird) songs with (exaggerated) use of instruments. Exaggerated? Yes, but that is nothing (NOTHING) compared to the incredible way that it tastes.Let me start by saying that this is not emo. "Emo" isn't even a genre! And that doesn't matter. "Vices & Virtues" is one of the most incredible (instruments-mix) albums of the year! From calm and easy-listen songs like "Always" to (a little-bit weird) songs with (exaggerated) use of instruments. Exaggerated? Yes, but that is nothing (NOTHING) compared to the incredible way that it tastes. "The Ballad Of Mona Lisa", when released as a single, may have took you to a "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" feeling, but that is not what we have here. While we can listen to a estrange alternative rock with pop signs and not-that-much-understandably lyrics, on Vices & Virtues we have alternative rock (yet) with good electro-pop beats, lyrics with more relation to romance (instead of weddings and hospices from "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" and beautiful lyrics about seas, flowers and hair from "Pretty. Odd.". "Ready To Go (Get Me Out Of My Mind)" is, although its chorus repeated many times (makes it kind of boring), a great (happy) song that does not have a lyric that good.

We also have "Hurricane" that's an incredible dance thing. Its chorus can't get out of your mind and has like a south-american or spanish feeling that it's enjoyable too. "The Calendar" may be the neutral song. I'm not saying that it's just another song, no. It's a great song that might make "AFYCSO" Fans, "Pretty. Odd." fans and "Vices & Virtues" fans to like it, because it feels like a mix between "AFYCSO" and the rest of "V&V".

Perfect? No. Nothing is perfect. The lyrics are pretty good. There are some fails and some repetitive chorus like in "Ready To Go (Get Me Out Of My Mind)" and "Let's Kill Tonight". Also, we have "Sarah Smiles". More romance? Just because Urie made it for his girlfriend, it doesn't mean that it would be like a romantic, calm and lovely song. Okay, it has a romance thing (it has to) but it also has a good "shake" and all the song is good, not just the chorus. What can we expect from an album that even the songs that are "just another song" are amazing from beginning to end? An album that is Incredible from beginning to end.

Okay, we have some exceptions. "Trade Mistakes" is good, but not thaaat good. "Sarah Smiles" seems to lose its initial charm after half the song. "Ready to Go" is lyrically weak and repetitive. But...

Everything ends with "Nearly Witches (Ever Since We Met)" that gave me a headache. That's not bad, it's just confusing. Starting with a dialogue, then going to french choir, then starts the music with lots of special sounds (polluting it) and then starts the chorus that is different from the rest of the song. And the chorus is much better than the rest of the song, what would make me sad, but instead of it, makes sing because has a great lyric to sing.

So, we have a great "alternative rock with electro-pop beats" album. Not emo. Amazing songs. Good lyrics. Defects? Of course. Worth your time? Oh Yeah!!!
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    One of the best albums I've ever heard. Every song seems to be an instant hit. It's by far one of the best albums ever made, and is probably my favorite album of the year. Go Panic!
  5. Feb 20, 2012
    Panic! at the Disco spiced up their songs with a little mystery complimented by a truly improved vocals of Brendon Urie. The songs in this album are extremely addictive. All songs contained are lyrically deep. This album is clearly not at the mediocre level. The musical brilliance is another turn on not to mention the perfection in terms of instrumentality. This is an album to die for!
  6. Jun 14, 2014

1. Dec 21, 2011
    Often, the individual pieces of this patchwork pop are more captivating than the overall image, yet there's still an undeniable appeal to Urie and Smith's crazed earnest energy.
  2. Apr 8, 2011
    The departure of two of its crew is noticeable, but Vices & Virtues remains a convincing, uplifting, and entertaining voyage.
  3. Apr 4, 2011
    With Vice & Virtues Panic At The Disco sound like the kind of people your grandparents would like. That doesn't mean that they are people who make bad music, but it does mean that they are creators of an album that does not rock. [26 Mar 2011, p.50]