Virgins

• Release Date: Oct 15, 2013
8.3

Review this album

1. Oct 16, 2013
    Listening to Tim Hecker's "Virgins" is amazing. After a few listens, slowly memorizing the position and elements of each song, it begins to unfold like an epic, or perhaps, like the shadow of one.

It's as wide as a cathedral, haunting as the Catacombs of Paris, ominous as an approaching hurricane, cold as Siberia, glitchy as Windows 95, fractured as a broken spine, scary as a horror film, invasive as a parasite, intelligent as a skyscraper's blueprint, instrumentally varied as Texan geography, glowing as moonlight through stained glass windows, melancholic as peacetime after the war, disquieting as a necropolis... and yet, it remains beautiful throughout.

I enjoyed Tim Hecker's "Ravedeath, 1972" well enough, but "Virgins" speaks to me far more. Stigmata I and II are wonderful together and are perhaps my favorite songs, aside from Virginal I and Virginal II. It's wonderful throughout. Glad I bought it.

Also, just for kicks: compare Rachel's' "Systems Layers" to the song "Black Refractions." It's interesting how similar they are.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    Tim hecker creates art with this fantastic music the soundscapes are beautiful, dark tense. It's a perfect comeback to being one of the best experimental artists out there, as Ravedeath 1972, Hecker can bring the shadows of a obscure world to transformate to light, sadness never sounded so good. Excellent!
  3. Oct 26, 2013
    This album is a beautiful listening experience. A journey through a road of amazing sounds. Some are sad, others are tense, while others can actually be called scary. And then there are the calm pieces. Just wonderful. It's why "Black Refraction" is my favorite track. It feels almost like a meditation.
    I enjoyed this album more than its predecessor, which is still good in its own right.
  4. Dec 8, 2013
    I find this to be totally unlistenable and hard to really quantify as "music". It's more like a bunch of annoying noises layered over each other in random ways. There are many who will bend over backward to convince themselves that they "get" this album, and try to seem "sophisticated" by liking it. I will not be one of those hipsters.
  5. Dec 29, 2013
    This is the most beautiful album of all time, with a strong vibe of mass destruction. Loving it a lot.

Must Hear Tracks:
    Prisms
    Virginal I
    Virginal II
    Live Room In

Not So Good Tracks:
    Live Room Out
  6. May 21, 2017
    it´s far to experimental for me i can´t get with it. i bought it because of it´s high rated. maybe i´m a philistine, but i can´t recommend it for an average listener.
  7. May 15, 2014
    Tim hecker really delivers on virgins, the hooks on this album are done very well the track live room is my favorite especially the hooks in this wow, this album has a dark feel to it. Track after track tim delivers. This album is put together really well 8/10

1. The Wire
    Dec 10, 2013
    Another nuance of Virgins is the pacing. With the exception of a few slightly predictable orchestral driftscapes, Hecker's editing instincts have rarely sounded this restless and razor-sharp. [Oct 2013, p.45]
  2. Q Magazine
    Nov 22, 2013
    A record tremblingly alert to the darkness, it flickers like a candle in the gloom, a victory for the forces of good against all odds. [Dec 2013, p.107]
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    It marks a natural progression--a little more defined, a little less of a homogeneous whole, but still a sound world that's unmistakably Hecker's own.