Visions - Grimes
9.0

Review this album

1. Nov 23, 2014
    Visions is, like the name says: A VISION, a particularly vision... and like all Grimes productions, it's a trip to a new reality with unknown things. And all I have to say is: She got it once again! She made a contemporary masterpiece.
  2. Sep 24, 2014
    Recent came-and-went Welsh singer-songstress Marina & the Diamonds once described herself and her music by saying, "I probably have a bit of a different sound because I don't really know what I'm doing!" That's not negative in her defense and it's actually a refreshing introduction to one of the fresher artists in the mainstream music industry. However, it's not the perfect fit for aRecent came-and-went Welsh singer-songstress Marina & the Diamonds once described herself and her music by saying, "I probably have a bit of a different sound because I don't really know what I'm doing!" That's not negative in her defense and it's actually a refreshing introduction to one of the fresher artists in the mainstream music industry. However, it's not the perfect fit for a musician who's well-known for her collaboration with famed pop producer Dr. Luke, it's not suiting at all. But if it came from Claire Elise Boucher—AKA Grimes—it couldn't be any truer. Ever since she received recognition from her single "Vanessa", critics and music listeners alike have failed to define her artistry and it's unknown to date. For example, it's not 'weird' enough to compare to Bjork and it's not artsy-poppy enough to compare to Ellie Goulding or Florence + the Machine. It's all courtesy of Grimes. And with Visions—which is virtually produced by Grimes and Grimes only using GarageBand—it's not any less true.

Though it's no concept album, Visions has a caution in its production that's lacking in a lot of 'indietronica' (let's be honest, everyone's gonna call it indie because it's a critically acclaimed yet commercially unheard of artist). Despite retaining that dream pop and electronica influenced sound throughout its duration, each song has its own structure and more importantly, its own individual personality. If lead single "Genesis" didn't catch your attention with its ambient vibe and Brooke Candy-starring music video that has gathered more than 20 million views on Youtube, "Oblivion" had to have caught your ears from the beginning: bubbly electronica and Grimes' cutesy, lisp-y vocals accompanied by lyrics that are the exact opposite ("And now the walk about after dark/It's my point of view/If someone could break your neck/Coming up behind you always coming and you'd never have a clue"). Turning a personal experience—previously dealing with assault—into one of the year's catchiest melodies isn't easy.

Visions requires patience in a sense that it takes multiple listens—about as many as Grimes use of layering her vocals, which have been documented to reach up to 50—and once the less climactic ones are skipped, it's a surprisingly pleasant experience the more it grows on you. A few of my favorite highlights that didn't catch me upon the first or second listen are "Skin", a seductive-in-a-Grimes-way ballad that transitions from soulful R&B to dark, calming synths you swore you remembered from a Blaqk Audio song, and "Nightmusic", which definitely takes the witchy concepts of its music video to heart and induces a nightly euphoria until the very end. Grimes has certainly caught the eye of many and to many, her recent collaboration on the far too trendy trap-tastic "Go" completely contrasts her work on Visions. But that's just Grimes, her ability to create accessible yet jarring electropop makes her one of the most coveted artists in the underground music world right now.
  3. Sep 17, 2014
    Ok. I am officially in love with Grimes. I just think that sometimes her voice is kind of annoying, but nothing that spoils the beauty of this wonderful album.
  4. Apr 20, 2014
    'Visions' goes beyond electropop.
    'Visions' is art in its most ethereal, mosaic form.
    This album is compacted with many feels, and it leaves the listener dazed. It has a sense of hyperreality and it feels like an amazing glimpse of the future, something that we've been deprived of in music for a great while. Even after listening to the entire album for more than 15 times, I don't fully
    'Visions' goes beyond electropop.
    'Visions' is art in its most ethereal, mosaic form.
    Even after listening to the entire album for more than 15 times, I don't fully comprehend this album.
    'Be A Body', 'Circumambient', and 'Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)' are the (in my humble opinion) the best recordings on the album.
    Waiting for her follow up album this year...
  5. Feb 8, 2014
    Solid pop album. It has a very "love it or hate it" sound, though. My favorite songs are Genesis, Oblivion, Eight and Vowels = Space and Time. Comfortable and relaxing to hear.
  6. Dec 9, 2013
    Beautiful album, she put a lot of thought into the album. It's very addictive and you can listen to it 30 times without getting bored. Looking forward to her next album.

Notable Tracks:
    Genesis
    Eight
    Visiting Statue
    Colour of Moonlight
  7. Nov 15, 2013
    Is her best album so far, it's executed with such personality, earnestness, and feeling that it feels so much louder and present than it really is.

FAV Songs: "Genesis", "Skin", "Circumambient" and "Eight"
  8. May 10, 2013
    With a sweet and strong voice, Grimes explores things I never saw in another album. Her subtlety with the beats is hard to explain, but is wonderful to hear.
  9. Apr 30, 2013
    "Visions" is an album that will want to make you fall in love. Visions pulls of 47 minutes of electronic music that draws in influences from Dream Pop, synthpop and experimental, and blended together makes out a sonic landscape of electronic bliss. Visions will make you cry as much as it will make you want to dance. It's an artful piece of work, and is worth a listen from anyone who enjoys"Visions" is an album that will want to make you fall in love. Visions pulls of 47 minutes of electronic music that draws in influences from Dream Pop, synthpop and experimental, and blended together makes out a sonic landscape of electronic bliss. Visions will make you cry as much as it will make you want to dance. It's an artful piece of work, and is worth a listen from anyone who enjoys great music.

10. Dec 17, 2012
    wow, only 2 weeks ago i discover her,,, and Visions becomes one of my favorites, Amazing album - dreamy electro pop sounds, a little bit of rock.. but l love the most her voice...
  11. Sep 8, 2012
    Quirky and zany, this album is filled with catchy synthesizers and vocals reminiscent of an airy blend of k-pop. An ambitious project similar to the sounds of Beach House, Visions is a must-listen for 2012.
  12. May 5, 2012
    Claire's ethereal dream pop music style is setted up in this record, and maximized. Not much alike her last two, this is a pavement to a success, and the songs seems to be attached. 'Genesis' and 'Oblivion' sounds like featured stories. 'Circumambient', 'Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)' and 'Visiting Statue' are the best recordings in this album. It is the year's best until now.
  13. Apr 26, 2012
    Despite the fact that the style which Grimes operates on the album "Vision" is not everyone-fall-in-love, I must admit that this is a pretty good record. Songs teeter on the borderline of for ex.dream pop - "Infinite Love Without Fulfillment" or "Nightmusic" - although most of the songs on record are very experimental creations such as "Circumambient", and the best "Symphonia IX."
  14. Mar 22, 2012
    One of those great records where you can put it on and every song is good enough so that you don't have to skip ahead. Ironically, the first song is the one I like the least so I usually start on the second track. The album melds together so effortlessly that it's almost like one big song. Her voice is so interesting and at first it feels like it doesn't have enough power but it emergesOne of those great records where you can put it on and every song is good enough so that you don't have to skip ahead. Ironically, the first song is the one I like the least so I usually start on the second track. The album melds together so effortlessly that it's almost like one big song. Her voice is so interesting and at first it feels like it doesn't have enough power but it emerges after multiple listens. Also this is an album best enjoyed listening on headphones. Is this album a perfect 10? No, but so few are and it's pretty damn close. Expand
  15. Mar 11, 2012
    What I love about this album (for me, the first great one of 2012) is that even after 25 listens I still feel I don't know it. Visions is easy to admire, but difficult to engage with - resulting in each listen sounding a little like a new experience. Well it would, except the beats, melodies and somewhat indecipherable vocals insinuate themselves insidiously into your consciousness -What I love about this album (for me, the first great one of 2012) is that even after 25 listens I still feel I don't know it. Visions is easy to admire, but difficult to engage with - resulting in each listen sounding a little like a new experience. Well it would, except the beats, melodies and somewhat indecipherable vocals insinuate themselves insidiously into your consciousness - making you fall in love. It's gorgeous, weird, futuristic and utterly unclassifiable. Expand
  16. Mar 10, 2012
    Wasnt sure of the album until i listened to it for about the 5th time....then it really hits you. Its soft listening but with addictive beats which drag you in. Second best to John Talabots Fin so far this 2012.
  17. Feb 22, 2012
    A Sega Genesis soundtrack like arrangement of noises, heavy loads synthesizers, and soaring, banshee like vocals make this album a fun, and worthy ride for one of the best releases so far this 2012. Grimes is on her game here.
  18. Feb 21, 2012
    I haven't been this obsessed with an album for a while, at least since Panda Bear's "Person Pitch." While a few songs are obviously, immediately, and undeniably awesome ("Genesis," "Oblivion," "Nightmusic," and "Be a Body"), many others show themselves to be strangely and unexpectedly gorgeous upon repeat listens. "Colour of Moonlight" for instance, takes a while to let its creepy (in aI haven't been this obsessed with an album for a while, at least since Panda Bear's "Person Pitch." While a few songs are obviously, immediately, and undeniably awesome ("Genesis," "Oblivion," "Nightmusic," and "Be a Body"), many others show themselves to be strangely and unexpectedly gorgeous upon repeat listens. "Colour of Moonlight" for instance, takes a while to let its creepy (in a good way) background arias worm their way into your brain. "Skin" seems almost minimalist at first, but actually packs the most real life emotional punch of any song on the album. Cannot recommend enough. Expand
  19. Feb 21, 2012
    Grimes knows what she's doing. She releases albums relatively quickly and close to one another but she never sounds like she's just phoning it in. Her music always sounds incredibly inspired and exciting. She makes all of the music herself and she always incorporates a diverse array of sounds and themes. I eagerly await her future work and can't wait to see where she goes. She has a longGrimes knows what she's doing. She releases albums relatively quickly and close to one another but she never sounds like she's just phoning it in. Her music always sounds incredibly inspired and exciting. She makes all of the music herself and she always incorporates a diverse array of sounds and themes. I eagerly await her future work and can't wait to see where she goes. She has a long career ahead of her. Expand
  20. Feb 21, 2012
    PURE synthetic bliss... Grimes has delivered what could be one of the best albums of 2012, why? It is beautifully mixed and you feel like you are in the sky while you are listening to her music. It is an easy listen making you want to listen it more and more, compulsively. I do not have any words to describe this album, just listen to it and you will know what I mean.

Thirteen tracks of exceptional music and a clear-cut success for Boucher.
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    Visions is beautifully conceived and executed, musically, lyrically and thematically.
  3. Mar 23, 2012
    It take a rare confidence and skill to throw a million (roughly) ideas into an album and make it sound not just coherent but as good as this one. [Apr 2012, p.91]