• Record Label: Def Jam
  • Release Date: Aug 12, 2011
7.9

Review this album

1. May 20, 2015
    Perfect Album! Highly recommended. All the songs are nice, even the one most of the people hate ( "Lift Off") sounds great. Jay is on another level, TOP of the Game, Kanye is great with his beats and his lyrics and his flow is good too. Even the bonus tracks are ridiculously good.
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    Guy is such a tool it's not even funny.
    He has no talent whatsoever.
    Seriously people if you think this is music or that this guy is anything more than a hip-hop hack, you're delusional.
  3. Jun 12, 2013
    overrated and overhyped. kanye needs to stop focusing so much on himself and more on the music. Jay Z shines here. I was disappointed to see kanye take this direction.
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This album is one of the best I've heard, there are some some songs I like and don't like, but Kanye West and Jay-Z are a good rap duo. Also, the production of the album was awesome, it was some of the best beats I've heard. Expand
  5. Mar 20, 2013
    Jay Z & Kanye West prove that they are Hip Hop royalty. A very good album. Not the greatest but a much needed collaboration. Nice piece of work with Jay & Ye being very ambitious.
  6. Mar 2, 2013
    Not normally into rap, but this is great. Highlights are: No Church In The Wild, Lift Off, Nigg*s In Paris, Otis, and Who Gon' Stop Me.
  7. Feb 16, 2013
    When Kanye West Jay-Z dropped Watch The Throne, everybody went over it. Everybody wanted to either jump for joy, or shake their head in dissapointment. As for me, I liked it, for the most part. The good far outweigh the bad but it's nothing I'd say is amazing. As far as lyrical battle, who needs a lyrical battle? We're too rich for that Instead, it's pretty much a celebration of theWhen Kanye West Jay-Z dropped Watch The Throne, everybody went over it. Everybody wanted to either jump for joy, or shake their head in dissapointment. As for me, I liked it, for the most part. The good far outweigh the bad but it's nothing I'd say is amazing. As far as lyrical battle, who needs a lyrical battle? We're too rich for that Instead, it's pretty much a celebration of the neverending success of Kanye Jay. If you like that, then this is for you. If you don't, well...you know. There is nothing wrong with Kanye West Jay-Z rapping about their success as long as it's done well. In Paris Gotta Have It are perfect examples of that. No Church In The Wild is a banger. And occasionailly you'll get something substantial from them like on the song New Day where they talk about their future childs and how they don't want them to be part of the lifestyle they live(d) in. On the song Murder To Excellence, they go from talking about black on black violence to black excellence. The production on that song is so epic, it could fit in a movie trailer. Why I Love You is an even more epic tale of paranoia and betrayal. The song The Joy (while it's old) is a song where Kanye gives his best verses on the album Jay gives an ode to his mom over a classic Pete Rock beat. Songs like these keep me interested, but then songs like Lift Off and Who Gon Stop Me make me uninvested. Made In America is so boring and lifeless, not even a Frank Ocean chorus could save it. But still, overall this was a good but not great project. Expand
  8. Aug 20, 2012
    I'm neither a Kanye fan nor a Jay-Z fan, but I appreciate that these guys "act their age" instead of pandering to 14-year olds like so many of their peers. "Throne" is reminiscent of early-'90s R&B/Rap, which was truly the golden age of hip hop. No over-produced assembly line crap, just clever (mostly) lyrics over energetic, funky beats. Highlights include "No Church in the Wild",I'm neither a Kanye fan nor a Jay-Z fan, but I appreciate that these guys "act their age" instead of pandering to 14-year olds like so many of their peers. "Throne" is reminiscent of early-'90s R&B/Rap, which was truly the golden age of hip hop. No over-produced assembly line crap, just clever (mostly) lyrics over energetic, funky beats. Highlights include "No Church in the Wild", "That's My **** "Murder to Excellence" and "Niggas in Paris". Expand
  9. Aug 1, 2012
    A really good rap album, brought down by a large amount of 'little things' that bothered me, like annoying interludes, songs that just randomly end, poor mixing. Jay-Z surprisingly outshines Kanye.

Lift Off could have been amazing but Jay-Z's verse was meh, and Kanye's was... bad. The auto-tune didn't work out so well for the song. The songs I enjoyed more on the album are: No Church In The Wild, Lift Off, Otis, Who Gon Stop Me, Murder To Excellence, & Why I Love You.

Get The Deluxe: Illest M Alive, HAM and The Joy are all great.
  10. Jul 19, 2012
    Sure, it's neither Jay-Z's nor Kanye's strongest album, but perhaps the best thing about Watch the Throne is even after having the unfortunate job of following an album as incredible and critically adored as My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, it doesn't have to be. It's a quick album, and by that I mean one where the boundary-shattering ambition and perfectionism seen in a few of theirSure, it's neither Jay-Z's nor Kanye's strongest album, but perhaps the best thing about Watch the Throne is even after having the unfortunate job of following an album as incredible and critically adored as My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, it doesn't have to be. It's a quick album, and by that I mean one where the boundary-shattering ambition and perfectionism seen in a few of their past albums is put second to catchy songwriting and above all, you know, just having fun. This is evident from lead singe "Otis": here, Jay and 'Ye exchange verses over a ludicrously expensive sample of Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness" to make an egoistic little snippet of colourful pop (and one of the few rap songs a friend of mine will tolerate!) Elsewhere, layers of Logic synthesised brass underlay one of the most strikingly energetic vocal performances Beyoncé has ever recorded in "Lift Off," the oddly catchy hook "sweet Jesus, sweet baby Jesus" accompanies euphoric synths, piano and rap verses in "Made in America," and dramatic strings empower closer "Why I Love You," which sits among the best tracks on the record. Sure, the album has its missteps: the beat that kicks off "New Day" sounds awkward and meandering, for example, but for the most part Watch the Throne is as luxurious and gold-studded a listen as its ridiculous album art. Recommended for all fans of either rapper, or anyone looking for a place to start exploring hip-hop. Expand
  11. Jul 15, 2012
    Is this what rap has come too?!?!? REALLY GUYS!?!?! lolololo rap is so so so dead! This album is a dissapointment to anyone who's grown up with real rap! Im talking old skool rap when rap was real, relavent, and meaningfull. Take the $11.99 you were going to buy this album with and buy some lotion, some socks, or a remote lololololol just ANYTHING but this album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Jun 29, 2012
    I was literally happy when the album ended. Very 'meh'. Absoulute highlights are ''No Church In The Wild'', ''Why I Love You'' and ''HAM''. Kanye is lyrically capable as a child on 70% of songs. Jay did this album much better. Nice beats, but they are way better as solo artists. Soulful hooks are done nicely on maybe a couple of songs, while the most is just stupid, and ear-raping. TheI was literally happy when the album ended. Very 'meh'. Absoulute highlights are ''No Church In The Wild'', ''Why I Love You'' and ''HAM''. Kanye is lyrically capable as a child on 70% of songs. Jay did this album much better. Nice beats, but they are way better as solo artists. Soulful hooks are done nicely on maybe a couple of songs, while the most is just stupid, and ear-raping. The album itself has a couple of good verses, couple of great verses, and the rest is nothing. I guess I'll have to wait for their solo releases for something that I'll like more. Expand
  13. Jun 20, 2012
    i can't believe people like this guy. the beats are ok, not hard, acually just soft, and i just can't believe this is cool to listen 2, what about immortal technique, or anything but this, i really can't believe people would buy a kanye album or listen 2 a song or admit that they like it, id rather say i like hannah montanna then kanye, i mean seriously kanye's rap lyrics are so weeak youi can't believe people like this guy. the beats are ok, not hard, acually just soft, and i just can't believe this is cool to listen 2, what about immortal technique, or anything but this, i really can't believe people would buy a kanye album or listen 2 a song or admit that they like it, id rather say i like hannah montanna then kanye, i mean seriously kanye's rap lyrics are so weeak you would thinkl a second grader wrote them, man whatever the critics are sayin, kanye west is not cool, and neither are drugs,this album is terribel, jayz's old stuff is ok get that instead but don't buy this garbage,and user reviews i can't believe people like this , I REALLY CAN'T -1 out of 10 awful sounding, and awful music, no message, but people still buy this, i can not figure out how anyone can like kanye , i really can't Expand
  14. Jun 2, 2012
    By no means one of the greatest rap albums of all time and probaly pusing nearer 8.5 than 9, but this is an extremely good album. West and Jay Z come off eachothers lyrics and verses superbly setting up a good harsh rythm to all the song. The production is great with many songs almost sounding like an epic fo music, e tone of the album and theme is spot on, with basically all songs havingBy no means one of the greatest rap albums of all time and probaly pusing nearer 8.5 than 9, but this is an extremely good album. West and Jay Z come off eachothers lyrics and verses superbly setting up a good harsh rythm to all the song. The production is great with many songs almost sounding like an epic fo music, e tone of the album and theme is spot on, with basically all songs having the same beat and tone, but this actually works well.On the other hand, some songs have a confusion in beat and slow pacing, partiularly lift off with a fantastic chrous from Beyonce, but the song is almost confused in how e rap compliments the tune, present in a few of the songs albums. To conclude, Defintely one of the greatest collaboration albums of all time, with brilliant lyrics and superb rapping, but not one of raps greatest and finest moments. Expand
  15. Apr 20, 2012
    Kanye & Jay Z's 'Watch the Throne' is a fantastic album, incorporated with various different, unique styles and techniques.
    Some highlights for me are 'N***ers in Paris', 'Gotta Have It', 'Who Gon Stop Me', 'Welcome to the Jungle'.... plus Mr. Frank Ocean features on a couple tracks, so it's impossible not to like.
  16. Apr 19, 2012
    A ridiculous amount of hype, but nevertheless this album delivers! It's a privilege of our time to capture both these rappers at their absolute prime. The only thing missing is a political message. Hip hop is at its most powerful when delivered from the bottom up... to summarise, there's a few to many Benz references to fit as a true counterculture classic. It can't remove from the sheerA ridiculous amount of hype, but nevertheless this album delivers! It's a privilege of our time to capture both these rappers at their absolute prime. The only thing missing is a political message. Hip hop is at its most powerful when delivered from the bottom up... to summarise, there's a few to many Benz references to fit as a true counterculture classic. It can't remove from the sheer delight of listening to the reigning kings of the genre, though... Oh and it also skips the awful habit hip hop albums have of sticking 20 odd tracks of filler on the disc. Who needs that when you can have this distilled masterclass? Expand
  17. Apr 3, 2012
    It's more of a 7.5, but rounds up to an 8. As a huge Kanye fan, I was expecting a sort of masterpiece out of this release, especially considering what Kanye had done just 9 months prior with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. As is, the album is not without its fair share of flaws and filler tracks, and often feels as if half of the album has a Jay-Z feel (on songs like **** in Paris,It's more of a 7.5, but rounds up to an 8. As a huge Kanye fan, I was expecting a sort of masterpiece out of this release, especially considering what Kanye had done just 9 months prior with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. As is, the album is not without its fair share of flaws and filler tracks, and often feels as if half of the album has a Jay-Z feel (on songs like **** in Paris, Welcome to the Jungle and Gotta Have It) and a Kanye feel on the other half (on songs like No Church, That's My **** and Why I Love You). I found myself enjoying the self-titled Kanye half better but both sides had their fair share of misses (i.e. the Jay-Z-esque club banger H.A.M and the Kanye-esque orgasmic mess Lift Off). However, songs like No Church, Murder to Excellence and especially New Day are up there with the best works of both men. Overall, a good release, but it could have been better. Expand
  18. Mar 28, 2012
    Well made album. Jay-Z and Kanye really have outdone themselves with this one. Every song comes with snappy lyrics and catchy choruses. I wouldn't cal it a masterpiece but by far the best album of the year.
  19. Feb 26, 2012
    We waited and they came. A complete album in every way, kudos to Kanye and his production work with a few smudges, but congratulations to Jay-Z remains one of the best MC ever. I would not be wrong, but this work is the perfect mix between the last two works by these artists: "The Blueprint 3" and "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". The sound of this album is phenomenal, you can hear thatWe waited and they came. A complete album in every way, kudos to Kanye and his production work with a few smudges, but congratulations to Jay-Z remains one of the best MC ever. I would not be wrong, but this work is the perfect mix between the last two works by these artists: "The Blueprint 3" and "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". The sound of this album is phenomenal, you can hear that in tracks like "Otis" or "Ni *** s in Paris" that remain above all of international hits. But Mr. West isn't the only producer of this album, but there're also RZA, Q-Tip, Swizz Beatz and many others. Among the collaborations to remember there is certainly an emerging artist like Frank Ocean that "No Church in the Wild" and "Made in America" give vent to his talent. The best tracks of the album is definitely worth remembering "Welcome To The Jungle" produced by Swizz Beatz and HAM (only included in the bonus track). Maybe Watch The Throne pays dearly for the unique imperfections of this album: "Who Gon Stop Me" (track is too repetitive and boring to be like the other) and "Why I Love You" (kudos to Mr. Hudson for sure, but the song seems made just for commercial purposes). At the end of listening can be said that Watch The Throne is a classic, but at the same time an innovative work for 2011. Expand
  20. Feb 20, 2012
    It nearly strikes where it should but this collaboration album does not take off far enough from ground covered by both artists to be considered anything more than an experiment. Sure there are standout tracks a plenty, but there is also a large amount of filler that renders this as more of a great B-Side compilation than anything else...
  21. Feb 8, 2012
    While this is not my favorite album of 2011, this has got to be the most important album of 2011. Any album with Jay-z and Kanye will just be historic. And we got Otis and Ni**as In Paris out of it! The rest is pretty damn good too.
  22. Feb 7, 2012
    Other than a few radio hits I wasn't impressed. We know what Kanye and Jay are capable of but this didn't deliver in my opinion. If the rumors are true and these two icons are indeed working on a Watching the Throne 2, hopefully it'll be better.
  23. Feb 6, 2012
    I enjoyed this album. For the people who listen to the overly auto-tuned lil Wayne. This is what real hip-hop sounds like. Key tracks include Otis,No Church in the Wild and the all epic if censor upsetting "Niggas in Paris". if your a fan of with Jay-Z, Kanye West or both. this album is defiantly for you!
  24. Feb 3, 2012
    This was basically's Kanye's Album because Kanye West had the greatest lyrics and he **** on Jay-Z. Jay-Z got killed on his own song on Renegade, But Jay got killed on his own Album I Give this album a 8 only because of kanye's lyrics
  25. Jan 6, 2012
    As overhyped as it is, Watch the Throne turns out to be a good effort by two amazing MCs. THe production is beyond superb -- but the rapping isn't as up to par as we've come to expect.
  26. Jan 3, 2012
    If you ask me Watch the Throne is 100.000.000 gallons of tons better than west coast rap...Jay & Kanye are taking over in this one. This is a must-listen album.Totally original but i dont think everyone can enjoy it because this is one next generation album.
  27. Dec 25, 2011
    This album was one of the most anticipated albums of the year and Jay-Z & Kanye surely did not disappoint . Definitely better than Lil Wayne's The Carter 4. Enough said.
  28. Dec 25, 2011
    The singles chosen off the album feature Kanye West and Jay-Z at their best. "Otis" is the main event. The album has a few fillers to it's name. However, it is one of the best albums of 2011 and it nearly delivered on the hype.
  29. Dec 19, 2011
    When I was recommended to listen to this album I expected to not even finish listening to it to say the true, as I thought I didnâ
  30. Dec 19, 2011
    At first listen you'll think its just Kanye West featuring Jay-Z, with the album being Yeezy"s vision alone and Jay only offering a few well placed verses. But after a few listens you'll find that it's Jay's verses which have you singing along first and have the most intoxicating flow. For this reason I feel that without Jay, the awe inspiring, arguably over done, production may not haveAt first listen you'll think its just Kanye West featuring Jay-Z, with the album being Yeezy"s vision alone and Jay only offering a few well placed verses. But after a few listens you'll find that it's Jay's verses which have you singing along first and have the most intoxicating flow. For this reason I feel that without Jay, the awe inspiring, arguably over done, production may not have had it's full potential fulfilled.
    Although some say it is original, when listening to it you understand it is actually a culmination of several different sounds, taking influence from past hip hop artists like RZA, Pete Rock and Kanye's older work, and also seeking inspiration from other artists in other genre's like Flux Pavilion, Eleanor Kate and Frank Ocean.
    This means the album is able to push hip hop to it's furthest boundaries and hopefully raise the bar for all albums to come.
    It hasn't gained to most impressive reviews, but those critics will be kicking themselves in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, when this album still sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

1. Nov 11, 2011
    They turn out to be pretty good influences on one another. Jay sounds generally reinvigorated: good-humored, full of nimble, intricate wit and atypically emotionally revealing, and if Kanye's rhymes occasionally remain as clumsy and crass as his personal life choices, he drops far fewer boners than usual. [#81, p. 56]
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    Hip hop heavy weights stop squabbling for long enough to justify their star billing. [Oct 2011, p.116]
  3. Sep 12, 2011
    That Jay and 'Ye have the courtesy to stop rapping about their money and start attacking real issues--black-on-black crime in "Murder to Excellence," raising children on "New Day"--is icing on a very expensive cake.