We Don't Need To Whisper - Angels and Airwaves
7.4

Review this album

1. Jan 23, 2012
    Though a clever album and relatively well composed tracks it still falls short of what Tom said Angels and Airwaves would be. I do believe Tom over specualated when he said this was going to be the best thing in Rock music he went o to say it was even better than Blink-182 (which it is not). So sad for Tom that he no longer takes pride in his best world which was Blink-182
  2. j30
    Sep 28, 2011
    My high expectations of a Queen/progressive album (as promised by Tom Delonge) were shot down after a first listen. And the more I listened to it, the less I liked it. They really tried to make stadium rock here, but it sounds like amateurs trying too hard to be famous. Maybe I set my standards too high, regardless, I can't think of anyone I'd recommend this to.
  3. Oct 19, 2011
    i enjoyed this album, the prog feel the everything but this record does have weak points but other than that excellent. delonges vocals are inspiring and on point
  4. Jan 25, 2012
    Tom Delonge has seemed to have developed a massive ego stating this was going to be a massive rock revolution which it really is not. It was alright but its not blink-182
  5. Aug 11, 2012
    Intelligent, chilling and beautiful. That's exactly what the first album of Angels & Airwaves is. I wouldn't believe that this is the project of blink-182 singer Tom DeLonge, if I wouldn't recognize his voice. Completely different but also amazing. His voice sounds extremely beautiful here and the songs are really good made. Brilliant musicians made one fantastic album here, which is sadlyIntelligent, chilling and beautiful. That's exactly what the first album of Angels & Airwaves is. I wouldn't believe that this is the project of blink-182 singer Tom DeLonge, if I wouldn't recognize his voice. Completely different but also amazing. His voice sounds extremely beautiful here and the songs are really good made. Brilliant musicians made one fantastic album here, which is sadly very underrated. Expand
  6. Aug 1, 2014
    I remember when I first started listening to Angels And Airwaves I was at 420 Chinkapin Way sitting on the balcony looking at the stars. So this album takes me back.

Valkyrie Missile (9) This song really introduced the band in a great way by showing off their new-age space rock sound. I really love it when the instruments hit and the song picks up. The guitar along with the electronica is really great. The harmony instrumentals hit later in the song and it really sends the song off to the races with a faster tempo and a more positive vibe. I like how they announce in the end they are, Angels And Airwaves.

Distraction (8) I really like this song because it really promotes the ideology of love between two individuals. The song to me is about how certain people find each other and help each other getting through the monotony of life. This song has guitar riffs somewhat similar to the Blink 182 style but the lyrics are way above Blink 182.

Do It For Me Now (8.5) This track adds more elements of love to the whole Angels And Airwaves persona. I think the chorus is really great and it has a really great harmony. The melody changes near the end of the song and really makes the song better.

The Adventure (9.25) This was Angels And Airwaves first single and really got me excited about them back in the day. Looking back at the last few years of my life, I do classify it as an adventure so this is one of my theme songs even though I try not to be mainstream. The secondary guitar elements they add in the beginning really give the opening riff a really great sound. The track does a great job at slowing down and speeding up which makes it unique. My favorite line of the whole song is 'I can't live I can't breathe unless you do this with me.'

A Little's Enough (9) This song is a really great song to promote being positive to the people your associated with even if you don't like them. The chorus has the best line in the song which is 'the cure is if you let in just a little more love, I promise you this, a little's enough.' The instrumentals are very soothing and relaxing and they are slowed down to change the tempo of the record from the previous track which is more upbeat.

The War (9.25) Angels And Airwaves promoted a 1940's WWIIesque theme with this record in their documentary Start The Machine. This is a great track for someone who feels like brighter days are coming around the corner and they have won the war of sadness or bitterness against whatever was causing them. The instrumentals are very energetic and can give anyone who listens to it a positive attitude.

The Gift (9.25) I really love this song because of how I can identify with it. The entire song has a great positive vibe and when Angels And Airwaves goes into the chant, it really gives the listener a good feeling. Another great song to promote good things.

It Hurts (7.5) This song really threw me off after got accustomed to Angels And Airwaves. The instrumentals are fine, but the 'It Hurts' chant is different along with the talking about alcohol, your best friend not being your girlfriend. It's just a song that doesn't flow as well as the other material in the album.

Good Day (8.5) This song start out like It Hurts but then the normal Angels And Airwaves harmonics kick back in. The title of the song is a great song to play on a good day but not a beautiful day because then you should play U2. Near the end of the song, the normal sounds that blow me away from Angels And Airwaves show up and really show why they are one of the best bands out there for people who like music that builds.

Start The Machine (9) This song describes how alot of people in their twenties feel about life I feel in many different dimensions. I think it represents the whole working machine and how alot of people tell themselves that life has begun, and it is depressing. My two phrases in this song are 'I won't say sorry' and 'If love's a word, that you say, say it I will listen.' The instrumentals really pick up later in the song and it really is a great way to finish up the album.

The Machine (8) This song is a remake or a remix of Start The Machine with more traditional electric guitar sounds and instrumentals. While personally I like the space rock sound better, I think Angels And Airwaves did it to draw Blink 182 fans over.

The resulting batch of songs... just pad out the duller bits of blink, then add walls of mid-'80s-era U2 guitar chimes. [Jun 2006, p.136]
  2. If only DeLonge's nasal vocals were more suited to the Robert Smith romanticism of tracks like "It Hurts." [26 May 2006, p.107]
  3. Many of Angel's midtempo tracks, while well-intentioned, fail to reach the lofty heights to which they aspire.