8.8

Review this album

1. Sep 26, 2013
    The Boss indulges himself by taking a trip through time to visit some of his influences. It's a fascinating project that brings a set of classic folk songs (a perhaps artists)to a whole new generation. Parts of this remind me of Billy Bragg and Wilco's "Mermaid Avenue" project in that while this is a modern record its got a sound from another time.
    The majority of the songs on "We Shall
    The majority of the songs on "We Shall Overcome" have a bluster and an energy about them that are tailor made for Springsteen's style and you can really see how this kind of music influenced him on his "Wrecking Ball" album. While I can't say I absolutely love this record (I just prefer Springsteen when he's doing his own thing), I don't think there is a bad track on it and it is an enjoyable listening experience. "Mrs McGrath" and "Pay Me My Money Down" are the standout tracks for me but the whole record is worth getting into.

1. Not only does We Shall Overcome feel different than Bruce's work; it also feels different than Seeger's music.... It's a rambunctious, freewheeling, positively joyous record unlike any other in Springsteen's admittedly rich catalog.
  2. We Shall Overcome lets us revel in the sound of a man who no longer confuses unplugged with uninspiring--and who isn't afraid to mix in some merriment with the message. [28 Apr 2006, p.134]
  3. The problem is that these songs are mostly too corny to have much drama restored to them. This is not folk music as mystery or romance or danger but as communal singalong.