• Record Label: Capitol
7.8

Review this album

1. TysonB
    May 30, 2003
    Wow. I'm not even a Dandies fan- I've heard less than ten of their songs from other albums- but after listening to this album, they have been permanently added to my top 5 favorite groups. This CD is simply amazing.
  2. TonyS
    Jul 30, 2005
    This album is definitely a change from their previous ones, but it's a change for the better. While I love the Dandy Warhols' psychadaelic and pop rock sound on their other albums, their "80's style" approach here meshed with their old sound is something different and worth listening to. Hopefully their next album will see a bit of a return to their older style, but "The This album is definitely a change from their previous ones, but it's a change for the better. While I love the Dandy Warhols' psychadaelic and pop rock sound on their other albums, their "80's style" approach here meshed with their old sound is something different and worth listening to. Hopefully their next album will see a bit of a return to their older style, but "The Monkey House" is a nice change. Expand
  3. SilverAdi
    May 15, 2003
    OK, I admit that I am biased, I have been a Dandies fan for a while. I thought the last album was really good, a bit all over the map, but I applauded the effort for trying different musical styles. They go for a 80's synthesiser rock and roll to great effect. A touch of electro here and there for a more modern feel. This is their most fun and accessible CD to date. A joy from start OK, I admit that I am biased, I have been a Dandies fan for a while. I thought the last album was really good, a bit all over the map, but I applauded the effort for trying different musical styles. They go for a 80's synthesiser rock and roll to great effect. A touch of electro here and there for a more modern feel. This is their most fun and accessible CD to date. A joy from start to finish. It will stay very close to the CD player till I over play it! Love "we used to be friends"(check out the video at dandywarhols.com) "Plan A" and "You were the last high" If only the eighties were this cool! Expand
  4. Jason
    Jul 14, 2003
    Terrific fun. Has elements of all their past releases, but also expands their sound. The procession of the first seven songs is unstoppable. the album gets better with every listen. Can't wait to see this material live.
  5. JohnC
    Mar 6, 2007
    Man .... I love this album and have played it more often than any other album I own.
  6. PaulS
    Oct 31, 2003
    This has been probably my favourite release of the year. Its an irreverant take on 80's pop, and has some truely driving songs (in fact its what I use biking to work every day!). I actually think that its significantly better than 13 tales, which had some high spots but overall lacked the coherance of Monkey House.
  7. neilc
    May 23, 2003
    Great album but not as convincing as 13 tales. A lot of the tunes grow on you but still some fantastic tracks like the haunting "you were the last high" and the glam rock "hit rock bottom". "we used to be friends" is a worthy single release. Rumours abound of an acoustic version of the album?!?! ....I hope so. Check these guys out in concert if you can. Awesome!!!

1. As synth-rock rebirths go, it's highly convincing. [Jun 2003, p.95]
  2. Clever and droll but also hypnotic and mysterious.
  3. A diverse collection of consistently good songs with little filler.