X&Y - Coldplay
7.8

Review this album

1. Jan 5, 2011
    Coldplay's tendency to water down their albums with mediocre filler is most apparent on this album. While a cohesive, unified sound can work quite well in some cases, it hurts Coldplay here. This comes off as a timid effort from a band that has an aversion to genuine risk-taking.
  2. Jun 21, 2011
    Before this album, I was a massive Coldplay fan. This was a HUGE disappointment! Fame clearly went to their heads and they thought they could release any sappy nursery rhyme and the world would eat it up. Unfortunately, that's what happened. Honestly, I can't tell if they were trying too hard or too little with this album.

I've come back to this album several times, months apart, and
    get nauseous with all but two tracks: White Shadows and Speed of Sound. Those are more what I expected from the album, earning it the two points I give it. No I didn't give up hope on Coldplay, and think they've redeemed themselves with 'Viva la Vida'. Let's only hope that 'The Bakery' delivers, as well ... Collapse

[Coldplay] have made their masterpiece. [Jun 2005, p.112]
  2. Confident, bold, ambitious, bunged with singles and impossible to contain, ‘X&Y’ doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it does reinforce Coldplay as the band of their time.
  3. They have chosen to opt for the standard formula: it's elegiac, mid-tempo, stadium-friendly ballads all the way.