9.3

Review this album

1. Oct 1, 2010
    Awesome, music from the rock and roll angels! Great songs jammed out to their max, along with slow and thoughtful sing-alongs. Instantly and unilaterally establishes the Tweedy legend.
  2. Jan 3, 2011
    I agree completely with Pitchfork, this album is amazing.
    I mean it was great on thre first couple of listens but as I've spent more time with it I notice the subtleties and warm to those songs that I didn't like too much at first.
  3. Sep 5, 2010
    I still cover 2 of these songs professionally: Jesus etc. and Pot Kettle Black (for those that feel there are no pop hooks) On my worst review I give it a 6; on my best a 9-something.... there are songs I still skip over (heavy metal drummer, kamera, radio cure) songs I still play (jesus etc., pot kettle black) song I'm indifferent (reservations, war on war, I'm the Man....) and song I still am intrigued by (poor places, I am trying..., ashes--esp the outlying guitar part)
    did they hype it? probably but why not hype what you've put a lot of work into?
    and I never actually bought any of it so I give them a 9 overall
  4. Sep 8, 2010
    A.M. was basically an extension of Uncle Tupelo; with Being There, Wilco moved from country to a kind of alternative country and have slowly swayed from their roots with each album. However, they manage to change styles without losing their appeal. Not a real catchy group of songs but a solid one nonetheless.
  5. Jun 30, 2011
    Rolling Stone said it best when they called it "an American masterpiece." Upon it's release, it quite frankly, changed everything. They created a sound that has been done and redone ever since 2002. And I believe history will eventually place this up there with Sgt. Peppers & Blonde On Blonde. "Ashes of American Flags" is a highlight on an album of highlights. To further dive into the making of this record, check out the documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. Another classic in it's own realm. Expand
  6. Jan 8, 2011
    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a great album. It has soft melodies that just stick in your mind. It's simply amazing. "Jesus, Etc" is one of the best songs I've ever heard. All In All, Wilco has made a fantastic album that gets better with multiple listens. A-
  7. Jul 10, 2011
    A flawless album, everything in it is balanced perfectly. At the end it feels like a record that you can dig as deep as you'd like, yet at the same time one with which it is perfectly comfortable to stay on the surface.
  8. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    An important, thought-provoking album by a the genre changing band. This is their greatest achievement. Watching the documentary 'I Am Trying to Break Your Heart' gives you an idea of what kind of problems they had trying to put this album out. YHF hit me like a ton of bricks, just like an OK Computer or Sea Change.
  9. Apr 15, 2014
    Perfect albums are not too easy to come by at all, and it's debatable that such flawlessness even exists, yet Wilco have simply crafted a masterpiece of American indie rock. Jesus Etc. might even be one of the greatest songs ever written.

1. I'm not sure if it's the work by O'Rourke or the progression of the group (or a little of both), but this disc is so multi-layered that it's easy to hear new things many many times after the first listen.
    A masterpiece, exactly the sort of record that your average sentient pop genius should make in 2002. [May 2002, p.99]
  3. While their songs still maintain the loose intimacy that was apparent on their debut AM, the music has matured to reveal a complexity that is rare in pop music, yet showcased perfectly on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.