Year Of The Black Rainbow - Coheed and Cambria
5.9

Review this album

1. Mar 19, 2012
    A solid hit and change of style from No World, The Black Rainbow boasts some catchy tunes along with a bunch of tracks very impressive in musicianship.
  2. Feb 7, 2014
    Arguably the weakest of Coheed and Cambria's albums (I'm not much a fan of SSTB, call me a heretic. The joy for me begins with IKSSE:3), Year of The Black Rainbow is not at all without merit. "The Broken", "Here We Are Juggernaut", "Far", "This Shattered Symphony", "World of Lines", and "Pearl of the Stars" are all fairly enjoyable excursions in the Pre-Amory Wars mythos. Musically it's all fairly pedantic prog-rock intertwined with vague and slightly touching love songs, nothing astounding instrumentally. Fair enough. Taken into context with the story, though, and fleshed out with the accompanying book, this album still very much works for me. Many reviewers describe a rather "dark and dreary" overtone, and I'll agree. However, it's only because the story is so. Rife with tragedy and grief, the tale sets the stage for SSTB and the Amory Wars in general. As an album alone, it's only fairly good. I'm writing this review in context, as the album plays a crucial role in the rest of Coheed and Cambria's epic tale. Reader, keep an open mind. Follow along with the book. As a whole, you'll find something special here.

Then move on to the Afterman Saga, and be completely blown away.

1. Rainbow is definitely Sanchez's show: His dreamy vocals give all the fantasy crap real human warmth. [May/Jun 2010, p.966]
  2. As a band, C&C either inspire rabid adoration or complete dismissal; that won't change with Year of the Black Rainbow. That said, any fan of heavy progressive rock music may find this music to be of compelling interest, whether one buys into the conceptual nature of the Amory Wars or not.
  3. It's full of fascinating, stirring moments, but overall, Year of the Black Rainbow suffers just a little too much from its own grand, sprawling ambition.