Yeezus - Kanye West
7.6

Review this album

1. Dec 13, 2013
    Great instant classic album......Onsite to New Slaves is the best album stretch of the last few years in hip hop. I'm not sure if anyone has done what Ye is is doing on the mainstream level as far as Hip Hop goes. He is definitely taking chances on the album and executes it perfectly. Sonically the best produce album I've heard this year. Jay-Z can learn a thing or two from Kanye cause MCHG was terrible. Expand
  2. Dec 24, 2013
    chaotic and dying, unlike anything ever done by him, from the beats to the lyrics all remente something new and shows the way the future of music. Kanye rose on the musical term with this album
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    Brilliance mixed with Ignorance with a side of Egotistical-ness, if thats even a word. But overall for what it is being an experimental album, I really feel like Kanye delivered just in a different way then he did with MBDTF, Dropout, and LR
  4. Jan 10, 2014
    The difference between Yeezus and other albums released in 2013 was how different it sounded and it was done successfully. This is definitely the music of the future.
  5. Jul 30, 2013
    Expect the unexpected. Open your mind. Free your mind of any prejudices. Be open and listen to the lyrics closely. Kanye is here to speak his mind in a very raw way. It's industrial in sound and very punchy in it's delivery. This isn't for the laid back listen. But it can be once you are used to it. It's different from his previous albums but there are familiar elements mixed in. Kanye West is still in top form here. The good far outweighs the bad. It's hardcore Kanye.....but spoken through....well....YEEZUS. Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2013
    If there's one thing this proves, it's that he's learned from Watch The Throne. Kanye's joint effort with Jay-Z tried to be bigger than it was capable of at times, and while it was a solid effort, stripping it down for a more raw sound on Yeezus has paid off. This is as innovative as any rap album has ever been.
  7. Jun 19, 2013
    "How much do I not give a f*ck?" Mr. West asks in On Sight, the first track of Yeezus. The answer is clear. The question is quickly followed with a familiar College Dropout sample sounding tune that goes on to say "He'll give us what we need It may not be what we want." Which, is the perfect way to describe what this album is. Not something we want(old Kanye), but something we need(New Kanye).
  8. Jul 22, 2013
    After the Picasso-art of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West reinvents itself again, with an album much more Hip-Hop and Minimal than MBDTF thet reminiscent in some ways Watch The Throne and 808s & Heartbreak. Songs like On Sight, Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves are examples of good and innovative production, that's right, the production that perhaps on this album is the most innovative of the year with Daft Punk, No.ID, 88 Keys and Kanye same in the height of the form. In conclusion, Yeezus of abstract-art is an album of pure genius that we have never heard. A classic to remember for many, many years. Expand
  9. Jul 5, 2013
    This is the first time, I am reviewing a brand new album. I usually take some time to get used to an album but some albums are such that they stick with you even when you listen to them just once. After listening to this album nearly seven times now, I think I am in a position to review it properly. Basically its great!!

Yes, he is back with his 6th album. By this time as a fan I knew
    that this album like all his other albums has to be different or break some trends and most likely set a few new trends. 3 years after creating arguably one of the greatest rap albums of all time. He is back again doing what he does best, defy the norms and he still refuses to make the rap albums that everybody else seems to make. Its only been 3 days since the album was released but I can say this with full conviction:

I took notice of this genius when I heard his second album: Late Registration. Shortly, its my favourite rap album of all time.

With this album, Kanye West de-constructs the rap/hip-hop conventions, chops them up and makes something that’s sonically akin to Massive Attack’s: “Mezzanine” than say, any of his other albums. He created his own genre twice before with “808s & Heartbreak” and “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” and this one is inventive and different in the same vein as these two albums.
  10. Jun 19, 2013
    I wouldn't say its better than Yeezy's last solo effort, but it comes pretty damn close. Yeezy tries something new with the dub-step beat behind On Sight. Excellent start. Hold My Liquor is halfway through the album's disappointing 10 tracks, and its straight amazing. The album ends with Bound 42 which everybody drooled over because it was sort of a throwback to College Dropout. This isn't hip-hop, nor is this a rap album. Kanye changed up his style again and was very successful.... again. Of course people aren't going to like this album because its not stupid trap beats & raps. Its straight up MUSIC. NO GENRE. JUST ART IN ONE ALBUM. You hate this album? Get out of here. Your opinion is stupid. You're entitled to it, but its stupid because you're writing Kanye off because he's not hip-hop. Expand
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    I can see why people don't like this album...its very different. But Kanye is Kanye and he always does something different..I think this album will grow much more on the people who don't like it if they just take it for what it is. Great album imo.
  12. Jul 21, 2013
    Kanye does it again. Yeezus is a triumph of unparalleled musical imagination, created by the ultimate music nerd who thinks nothing of genres and styles and gleefuly mashes everything he wants like a mad alchemist, creating an unholy concoction that works even though it really shouldn't. Who else would even dare to have Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Chicago drill poster boy Chief Keef sing on the same track? Who would imagine that you could mix TNGHT and Nina Simone? Who would slap a hefty chunk of a track by a 1970s Hungarian prog rock band at the end of his own composition and then sing all over it? Only Yeezus. Expand
  13. Apr 8, 2014
    Are you a believer of Yeezianity???? Well you should be. Yeezus is undoubtedly his most abrasive album to date. He is as aggressive and egoistical as ever before on this project. When you're a GOD you make the rules hence giving a single F***k on his lazy braggadocios lyrics used where it could be seen a major flaw but when its as organic as 'Ye makes it out to be we cannot be disappointed. For every stan out there who loved My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, it could turn out to be a surprise or a disaster for some however it thrives on excitement. He made it clear he's here to be the next Steve Jobs, Andy Warhol e.t.c. but seriously with a discography as compelling to most current artists today giving him the benefit of the doubt is an understatement. Daft Punk did brilliantly on constructing the acid-house influenced track "On Sight" and its Punk influenced "Black skinhead". I cannot say its his best album to date due to its craft work as times sounds underwhelming however Kanye West has once again set his ego bar at an all time high, as for things goes its simply a breath of fresh air. 9/10 Expand
  14. Jun 19, 2013
    Another classic from Kanye West. It's natural that some people don't like it; he's pushing the boundaries of hip-hop. You'll thank him in 10 years. An excellent album.
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    Yes, i'm a Kanye West fan but I had my doubts about this at first. I felt it was too derivative from Death Grips and Clipping.'s sound and that it was a bandwagoning attempt but I was half-wrong. Yes, he was attempting the sound but at the same time, he did something a bit difficult. He gave it a mainstream appeal! That's what I love about this album (or mixtape, since its short and is structured like a mixtape). It's certainly no MBDTF or even Late Registration but this is up there with them Expand
  16. Feb 23, 2014
    Well there are 2 kind of people in the matter of Yeezus .... the sane and insane people and of course people who think Yeezus is a masterpiece are sane ...... This album is beyond description and until now it's the best album in the new millennium!
  17. Jul 18, 2013
    This album is incredible. Kanye will never top it. He's one of the biggest artists in the world and has made an album that could have been made on some indie Chicago label. In saying that, the production quality on the album is phenomenal. Kanye has managed to make a record that is unmistakably his own despite being outnumbered hugely by collaborators. I honestly cannot think of another album I've devoted more time to, and that's its defining quality.

It has to be noted that this is the record that most effectively parodies the #madrichalert culture that has produced so much appalling radio friendly hip-hop. He may or may not be slightly serious in thinking that he's a god, but he's got the greatest claim to be and he seems to be the only rapper around that doesn't care despite that. This has to be the perfect record to define everything that's good about music right now because of that.
  18. Jun 19, 2013
    This album is amazing except for the first song, which starts the entire ordeal on a sour note. However, by the time "Hold my liquor" is reached, the album has reached it's epitome, and ending the album on "Bound 2" was hands down an excellent choice. Perfect.
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    Anyone who expects this album to be as good or better than MBDTF is obviously going to be disappointed. But anyone who says this isnt anything knew is obviously lying. It takes production elements from all his previous albums and mixes them together in just 40 minutes. Although the lyrics might not be as good as what we have come to expect from 'Ye they are still better than pretty much every other artist alive today and he does tackle some serious themes throughout the recording. This album isn't an easy listen and it wont click the first time you hear it, it takes perseverance and time to start to like this album, but after a few listens you will really start to see the genius of 'Yeezus'. Expand
  20. Jun 21, 2013
    This albums so special, it really is masterpiece with the mix of electronic beats and dark aura with Yeezy's lyrics cutting deep making it uniquely amazing. This is the start of the revival of Rap with J.Cole, Wale, Jay-Z and Drake to follow.
  21. Jun 25, 2013
    Kanye is great because he does what he wants, because he's an egomaniac with a stunning gift for writing both beats and rhymes. Every album has been a different extension of his genius mixed with a facet of his personality. If My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was his expression of celebrity and intimate feelings, then Yeezus is Kanye at the VMAs, telling Taylor Swift that Beyonce was better. This album is Kanye screaming at the world, ego inflated, that whatever he does is a masterpiece because only HE can pull it off.

Yeezus, the title, suggests this. It's an obvious allusion to Jesus, who by the words of the Bible could do things others could not. This is Yeezus. It's Kanye doing what others can't. He took a synth and turned it into a dark, grinding, acidic extension of his ego.

However, this album isn't all dark grit and grind. I personally think "Bound 2" belongs more on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in terms of stylistic qualities, but its beautiful sampling and clever lyrics will not be depricated in the slightest by being a part of this album. It might be my favorite song Kanye has ever made, it's that good.

If you have an open mind, you'll enjoy this album. It takes two or three listens to really get a grasp on what Kanye was trying to do here; however, once this has been achieved, this album is brilliant in its own right.

This isn't My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. This is more ambitious, more egotistical, more narcissistic. Not every can produce M.B.D.T.F. (a classic, mind you) every album. This is about as close to a great repeat effort as one can be. It's a great album. IF there's one thing we know about Kanye, ti's that he doesn't think he has a ceiling. This album is a reflection of that.

Enjoy it.
  22. Jun 26, 2013
    When I first heard this album, I was like "WTF is this Ye?". The 2nd time I heard it, I thought "okay this isn't too bad".

And then something strange happened. I was in the same boat as others wanting that "classic" Kanye back for a while. Those soulful, sped up samples that created his signature style. But then I went back and listened to College Dropout, Late Registration and
    Graduation....and then I went back and listened to Yeezus, and got this feeling...like Yeezus filled me with an energy that those past albums couldn't touch. Those were all great albums (I also really enjoyed 808 and MBDTF), but Yeezus is clearly in another league in terms of the emotion and feeling you receive from it.

And this is where I realized that what separates Kanye from other artists, lets just use Jay Z as an example, is that Kanye is constantly pushing hip hop to new heights and barriers. While Jay Z plays the conservative route...giving people what they want to hear, Kanye gives people music that they didn't realize they wanted to hear. I remember a quote by Steve Jobs, when asked why Apple doesn't do a lot of consumer research (compared to Samsung, MSFT, etc...) and his reply was "Because people don't know what they want".

I feel Kanye has the same approach. A creative innovator like Kanye isn't just going to give us an album of sped up samples like some want, because that's been done. He's going to keep giving us new music, and new perspectives on things. And I love it. I don't want 10 albums that sound all sound alike (blueprint 1, blueprint 2, etc..), I'd rather have 10 albums that all sound uniquely different in their own awesome way (Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers, White album, etc...) wouldn't you?
  23. Jun 25, 2014
    Am I late to the Yeezus party? It's been almost a month since the release of Yeezus, but I feel I need to get my opinion out there. On my first listen of Yeezus, I hated every minute of it, except a few tracks. I despised the autotune on Blood on the Leaves and Guilt Trip, and some of the subject matter felt like he wrote it in 2 minutes, and said it, I'm Kanye, people gon' buy my sh** anyway.' Then I listened again, and again, and again. I don't know how 'Ye does it, but Yeezus has become my fourth favorite 'Ye album (CD, LR, MBDTF). My ears still hurt listening to the ridiculous gong show that is 'I Am A God' (HURRY UP WITH MY D*MN CROISSANT), but I sincerely enjoy a large percentage of every track on this album.

Favorite Songs: Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Guilt Trip, Bound 2
    Least Favorite Songs: On Sight, I Am A God

Edit 2014: Kanye is a genius. all praise Yeezus.

Favourite Tracks: Most of 'em
    Least Favourite Track: On Sight

Overall grade: 95-96/100
  24. Jul 5, 2013
    From the moment one hits play on Kanye West's sixth studio album, Yeezus, strange radio waves begin to make their way through the listeners' eardrum and into the cerebellum. The sounds are immediately abrasive before becoming agreeable, immediately deprogramming any preconceived notion that this is a typical rap album. It is here most hearers will be lost. Listeners, however, are in for quite the ride, one that will forever change hip hop as we know it.

I think now is a good time to inform the reader I was of the opinion that 808s and Heartbreaks was "garbage Kanye" and The College Dropout was "the real Kanye", important to note. This was a skeptic's ear to Yeezus.

I imagine executive producer and hip hop pioneer Rick Rubin smiling a wry smile about an album like Yeezus years before it was created. "What if the most respected electronic producers worked with one of the biggest hip hop artists in the industry to create a multi-collaborative, minimalist album?". The idea was probably quickly brushed away by rational thoughts like "Nah. No one has the balls nor vision for that" or "Who the hell would do that?"

Enter Yeezus. Sonically, it is 40+ minutes of caution to the wind. The Chicago ties are well documented, the acid house and industrial genre influence apparent. This has been done before in hip hop, and in fact, it could be argued this is a commercial adaptation of previous Saul Williams-Trent Reznor collaborations. Yeezus separates itself in the nuances, though. The first sample on the album comes at the 1:17 mark and says "He'll give us what we need, may not be what we want". This is a fine tuned monster we're dealing with; an album that assumes a certain intelligence from its audience and does not apologize to those who do not understand

Lyrically, this is quintessential Kanye. The punch lines are abundant and raunchy, and making a welcome return are socially conscious lines about the prison industrial complex, corporate control and modern slavery. And yes, there is such a thing. Like crack, both the lines and drum patterns have been boiled down a highly flammable essence. At its core, its just beats and rhymes. This sole fact keeps it in the hip hop realm, somewhere, years away from being accepted.

The album triumphs most when any confining parameters are shed. Indeed, the very idea of God is shaken within the confines of Yeezus. There is perhaps no better example on the album than "Blood on the Leaves", a song about the woe of an unwilling father which features a sample from Nina Simone's cover of Strange Fruit. On paper is seems clever if not downright odd to sample a song about lynchings on a song about unwelcome borne fruit. It is executed to near perfection, with TNGHT supplied arrangement reaching horn-apexed crescendos as Simone exclaims "black bodies swingin in the summer breeze".

Many were(and are) caught up in the proclamation that Kanye West "is a god". If that is the case, let them forever stay in ignorance of the Nation of the Five Percenters. But I digress. The son of a Black Panther, Mr. West is well versed in his heritage, or rather, the dehumanization of it. Said West of the tittle of this project, "West was my slave name. Yeezus is my god name." Let us also gloss over the beliefs held by the major four religions and speak nothing of destiny in accordance with free will in godmind. This is but an album review. The track, however, again plays with an idea often attributed to Kanye. How egotiscal he must be, unless of course, he is serious. Any Youtube researcher can tell you West is a part of the globalist elite, the Illuminati, and the demonic yelling at the end of the track is only but further proof of devil worship. Indeed he tells us on Black Skinhead "I think I'm possessed, it's an omen". Whether you believe it to be literal or liberal, is your choice.

West finally comprises on the last track, the sample driven Bound 2. To me, it sticks out like a sore thumb and proves to be one of the worst on the album. Worst being a relative term, of course. It feels out of place, and instead of a traditional Kanye chop, its done in a looped style, which makes the track feel a bit busy and un-involved. When considered in the body of work (the body of Yeezus, if you will), its almost a statement track. Just because its what you might want to hear from Kanye doesn't mean its good, and just because Yeezus isn't necessarily what you want to hear from Kanye doesn't mean it isn't great.

This album will change the way hip hop is accepted in the years to come. I firmly hold that Yeezus will have Revolver like influence in the hip hop community and open doors both to new artists and different collaborates alike. Ever the lane maker, Kanye West has once again opened the door for a new era of artist. Yeezus is probably not the best work of this multiple Grammy award winner, but it will be his most influential, and for that, I applaud him.
  25. Jul 6, 2013
    This album is a masterpiece. I don't know why people have stated that they dislike this album, they must not know what good music is. Every song is amazing and the incorporation of rap, drill house, and dance-hall make this album better than born sinner and Magna Carta Holy Grail 10 times over.
  26. Jul 7, 2013
    His most game-changing and misunderstood album since 808's and Heartbreak. It will take the rap game at least another 10 years to catch up to this one.
  27. Jul 8, 2013
    At first listen, you might find this album terrible because it is so different from past albums. After listening to it 3 or 4 times, you'll start to realize how unique and brilliant this album is. Out of the 10 songs, I really like 5 of them. That is a high amount for any album. The five songs I don't like as much, I can still appreciate how unique sounding they are. In a world where rappers copy each other and use the same instrument choices and drum beats in multiple songs, Kanye West is in a league of his own. No one is close to creating as unique and new sounds as he is. Give this album a few listens completely through and you'll see how good it truly is. Expand
  28. Jul 14, 2013
    I was tempted to give Kanye a "1" for releasing a new album while I am supposed to be studying for the bar. But after repeated listening, I just cant do it. This album is simply freaking brilliant, might be even better than his last. As usual Kanye exhibits his brilliant sampling skills, beats and backing music are sick, use of autotune that actually doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the ear. And of course, his unparalleled flow, clever as hell rhymes sprinkled throughout, and language-invention skills (he's taken us from "safe-belt" to "pregnanated". Kanye, you are a brilliant goddamn bastard. Oh, and stay away from my wife. Expand
  29. Jul 31, 2013
    This album is a masterpiece rivaled only by the best songs of each of his albums. The production is near flawless, and lyrically Kanye manages to pack depth and social commentary into some lines, humor and raunchy imagery into others. 5 years down the road from now, people may even consider this his best album.
  30. Aug 8, 2013
    At first glance the album seems like a shoddily put together mishmash of kanye west trade mark hyper sexuality and narcisim but as we evaluate the whole, in a deeper context it is truly a brilliant commentary on the rap industry as a whole. It is both a well executed self parody and an amaze feet of originality, defying the very conventions that would black list any lesser artist almost immediately. In summary, this album is the absolute and unabashed truth, all bow down to yezzus Expand
  31. Aug 10, 2013
    Kanye shows so much passion in his music, you cannot help but to appreciate. And Kanye never settles for what people would enjoy. He makes music HE'd enjoy and the result is an instant classic. Yeezy is probably the biggest egomaniac in the music industry, but he sure can back it up with great production and meaningful lyrics.
  32. Aug 26, 2013
    Shocking, experimental, and abrasive, Yeezus may not be West's best work, yet it still features some brilliant lyrics and some memorable moments. Highlights include "On Sight," "Black Skinhead," "New Slaves," "Blood on the Leaves," and "Send it Up."
  33. Jan 6, 2014
    Kanye's most recent album is by far his most extreme. Its angry, violent, dark yet brilliant. Amazing production is he icing on the cake. Best album of the year.
  34. Dec 22, 2013
    This is worth listening to... The creativity of his production along with his egotistical rhymes makes Yeezus an ultimate classic even though it's not in West's top 3 albums...
  35. Jan 17, 2014
    I love the album. Its dark, grimy, and most of all creative. I also understand its probably not for everyone, but at least its elicits a response unlike most music that comes out today. Tracks no one can deny include Blood On The Leaves, New Slaves, and Bound 2. Tracks people waver on include On Sight, Hold My Liquor, Im a God. The only track I don't really "get" is On Sight, I like or love every other track. Expand
  36. Jan 29, 2014
    It's hard to call Yeezus Kanye's most inventive work, because literally every album he has released was extremely creative in its own time. What I can say is that Yeezus is the only rap album this year that I've heard where it genuinely caught me off-guard. There were multiple moments throughout the album where I said out loud "he can't do that... you can't do that, right?" But he did it. He would switch from one sample to the next, different tempo, no supporting beat, and then he would jump right back in to his flow with a new beat and sample behind himself.
    One of Kanye's trademarks is his repetitious use of sampling. Each song is incredibly unique, from the primal, angry satire of Kanye backed with a huge drumline and Tarzan-ish screaming in Black Skinhead, to the industrial, heavily distorted opener On Sight. Bound 2 and Hold My Liquor were standout tracks for originality, although Blood on the Leaves and New Slaves were more recognized and also very inventive in their own right.
    Nothing is in this album that doesn't belong in there, and that's a rare thing to say in the age of digital music recording. He went through ridiculous amounts of modifying, mixing, re-writing, and post-production over the course of this album, ultimately ending with the hiring of Rick Rubin the "reducer" less than three weeks before the album was due, to help over-see the final, drastic changes to the album.
    This album gets a 9.5, but I am going to round down to a 9 because there were some lyrical moments that were distastefully sexual and not even in a clever way. If that album were without the track I'm In It, I might round up to a 10. Still, Kanye's style and artisanship are still leagues ahead of most rappers in the game today, and this album deserves a listen from anyone who claims to be tired of the "same old same old."
  37. Feb 5, 2014
    Yeezus is, in my opinion, best album of 2013. The reason people give it any bad reviews is because they haven't given Yeezus enough time to sink in. It's incredibly unique and creative, to the point where it takes several listens to get used to. In the past, Kanye hasn't failed to produce some of the most artistic, chart-topping, best-selling albums, and to this day, still hasn't. Once you hear the album you're left breathless. If you haven't heard it yet, or don't like it, give it a few listens and it'll grow on you. Expand
  38. Mar 12, 2014
    The album is an angry, muddled, ignorant, slapped-together heap of vulgar expression that works better than anyone else in music could've done. It's an album so angrily sure of itself it'll have you convinced that a man worth 100 million dollars faces oppression comparable to that of a slave.
  39. May 3, 2014
    "He'll give us what we need / It may not be what we want"

This about sums it up nicely. Kanye knows what I want, better than I do. I never thought this album would sound like this. But I really like it.
    And that's because Kanye always keeps it fresh. He always tries to do something new, which is probably also why his career is so consistently good. He doesn't try to re-do or top what
    he did in the past.

On his everlasting quest to do something fresh and bring something new to the mainstream music-world he decided it would be time to make some industrial-hip-hop. And please don't think I'm saying Yeezus is the first album of this sound, but seriously: Kanye is a major player. You'd expect something like this from a niche group (Death Grips), not a music star.
    Nonetheless Kanye does it. And he does it good. And the acid-y sound of On Sight that greets you on the first listen to the album hits you in the face. In a good way.

It may not be Kanye's strongest Album in the lyrical term, but it still features some nice commentary.

The production is on another level though. Minimalistic, experimental, hard-hitting - great.

1. Dec 10, 2013
    His concerns are serious--consumerism, race, fame, relationships--but he rarely addresses them with the craft or focus they deserve. [Sep 2013, p.66]
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    Contradiction incarnate, Yeezus is Kanye's most Kanyeish LP yet. [Sep 2013, p.103]
  3. Aug 13, 2013
    Nasty, brutish, short, and wholly compelling, Yeezus begs only one question: where next? [Sep 2013, p.89]