Yeezus - Kanye West
7.6

Review this album

1. Nov 11, 2013
    The transformation Kanye West has taken throughout his hip-hop career has all led to this 40 minute, sprawling descent into industry hell. Kanye sounds at his most angered, most torn down by the entertainment industry and previous love affairs, more so than on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The production ranges from grimy electro, to minimalists tribal drums, and fantastic samples.The transformation Kanye West has taken throughout his hip-hop career has all led to this 40 minute, sprawling descent into industry hell. Kanye sounds at his most angered, most torn down by the entertainment industry and previous love affairs, more so than on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The production ranges from grimy electro, to minimalists tribal drums, and fantastic samples. Kanye's lyrics are his most deranged on Yeezus, rhymes upon rhymes about how he feels as if he is a slave in in the entertainment industry and all the scum he encounters throughout his day to day life. Not to mention his view on previous relationships, something he's been singing about since 808's & Heartbreaks. If there's one complaint to be had about this record, it's that it loses replay value if you've listened to it at least 5 times, which is true for any album really, but more so if comparing it to other Kanye West records.

All In All, Yeezus is about a black man on the brink of insanity, pushing through day to day demons that probably will never escape him, and also a fantastic, dark voyage of hip-hop music. A-
  2. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm a big Kanye fan and Kanye certainly delivered here. This is not a hip hop album, but rather a musical exercise where Kanye experiments with anything and everything at his disposal. Despite this mish mash of sounds, the album is extremely successful and in my mind, it's a modern day classic, much like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was. It will be interesting to see what kind ofI'm a big Kanye fan and Kanye certainly delivered here. This is not a hip hop album, but rather a musical exercise where Kanye experiments with anything and everything at his disposal. Despite this mish mash of sounds, the album is extremely successful and in my mind, it's a modern day classic, much like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was. It will be interesting to see what kind of influence this album has on future hip hop artists as it will undoubtedly impact the genre for a long time. Expand
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    Can't say I like this guy personality or anything associated to him outside of music. Howvere, gotta admit, this is a good album. Quite a departure from past Kanye albums as has always been the case. His lyrics are not the tightest in comparision, but I love how this album pushes hip hop in another direction. A bit electronica at time but stripped down at other times. I don't like all theCan't say I like this guy personality or anything associated to him outside of music. Howvere, gotta admit, this is a good album. Quite a departure from past Kanye albums as has always been the case. His lyrics are not the tightest in comparision, but I love how this album pushes hip hop in another direction. A bit electronica at time but stripped down at other times. I don't like all the tracks but as usual, Kanye is polarizing. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2013
    After the Picasso-art of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West reinvents itself again, with an album much more Hip-Hop and Minimal than MBDTF thet reminiscent in some ways Watch The Throne and 808s & Heartbreak. Songs like On Sight, Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves are examples of good and innovative production, that's right, the production that perhaps on this album is theAfter the Picasso-art of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West reinvents itself again, with an album much more Hip-Hop and Minimal than MBDTF thet reminiscent in some ways Watch The Throne and 808s & Heartbreak. Songs like On Sight, Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves are examples of good and innovative production, that's right, the production that perhaps on this album is the most innovative of the year with Daft Punk, No.ID, 88 Keys and Kanye same in the height of the form. In conclusion, Yeezus of abstract-art is an album of pure genius that we have never heard. A classic to remember for many, many years. Expand
  5. Feb 3, 2014
    Put simply if you don't like this album, you're a hater. The production is truly legendary, and anyone who says the album doesn't have meaning or is narcissistic didn't listen well. Yeezus is a true work of art and will go down as a revolutionary album in the increasingly electronic music world.
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    A very different type of Hip Hop album. One of the year best album. Kanye West returns with an excellent album Daft Punk and Kanye West makes a great team. This album is very short but every song is worth listening to.

The album has a electronic sound to it. The highlight song on the album is "Bloood on the Leaves." "New Slaves" and "Black Skinned Head." Those are clearly the best tracks on the album. Lyrically Kanye did a very great job. Kanye West never been an outstanding lyricist but he also been an good lyricist.

This isn't his best album...but it still an outstanding album and deserve Grammys buzz. I love how kanye didn't out out any singles for the album. Very brilliant album ....I must say this is the most interesting album he made. I'll always love his first two album more than his new album but I wouldn't be surprise if some people label this album as his best yet.

The thing I disliked about the album is the features ....I never been a fan of albums with too many features but that just me... This album is worth listening to,,, it's better to listen to the album from track 1-10 with out skipping songs the first few times.
  7. Jun 18, 2013
    This album is way more than I was expecting! With Ye's most experimental release yet we see a hard defined Ye that would please most of his new and old fans. It sound like if Kanye got MBDTF and pushed it a little bit further. He also speaks out more against the Illuminati which unfortunately is the only way to convince people you're not a devil worshiper. My disappointments on this were,This album is way more than I was expecting! With Ye's most experimental release yet we see a hard defined Ye that would please most of his new and old fans. It sound like if Kanye got MBDTF and pushed it a little bit further. He also speaks out more against the Illuminati which unfortunately is the only way to convince people you're not a devil worshiper. My disappointments on this were, first that he didn't produce this all himself, but the help benefits Ye like on the TNGHT produced track "Blood on the Leaves" Also I didn't care much for the features on this. Overall this is an outstanding album. Expand
  8. Feb 23, 2014
    Well there are 2 kind of people in the matter of Yeezus .... the sane and insane people and of course people who think Yeezus is a masterpiece are sane ...... This album is beyond description and until now it's the best album in the new millennium!
  9. Aug 29, 2014
    Bërë shumë mirë Expirimental / hip hop album duke treguar Kanye është në kulmin e karrierës së tij muzikore , jo në fund ! Shumë keq rreh si , bëhet me prodhim i tepërt dhe një të hedhura të karakteristikave dërrmuese ! Ju duhet të blej ! :) 10/10
  10. Oct 23, 2013
    On the walls of various chosen buildings and the SNL stage, the words "NOT FOR SALE" lit up the darkness. On the stage West's silhouette brought out the birth of a new era and his own evolution, on the building West's fiery return projects itself upon the hopeful and excited fans. The derivative hip hop beats don't appear here, he's not selling himself. He's simply letting go, and forcingOn the walls of various chosen buildings and the SNL stage, the words "NOT FOR SALE" lit up the darkness. On the stage West's silhouette brought out the birth of a new era and his own evolution, on the building West's fiery return projects itself upon the hopeful and excited fans. The derivative hip hop beats don't appear here, he's not selling himself. He's simply letting go, and forcing us to accept it with rocky, crude and reluctant understanding. What Kanye serves is impetuous, gut wrenching and takes you by surprise. But then again that's hip hop isn't it? By pushing the envelope he leaves a big crash in the ocean of music, West rises in ranks and gives us a breathtaking journey that's only just beginning. Reluctantly, I can't help but to begin and relive again and again. Soak in the repercussions, for just as the projection shut off as "New Slaves" ended on the W Hotel late at night in LA, we and the world had just gotten a glimpse of Kanye's artistic statement. What's next for Kanye West? Considering the birth of North West, nothing for a while now. Still, the anticipation for what's next is at an all time high and the stage has been set. Let's begin. Expand
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    "How much do I not give a f*ck?" Mr. West asks in On Sight, the first track of Yeezus. The answer is clear. The question is quickly followed with a familiar College Dropout sample sounding tune that goes on to say "He'll give us what we need It may not be what we want." Which, is the perfect way to describe what this album is. Not something we want(old Kanye), but something we need(New Kanye).
  12. Jan 10, 2014
    The difference between Yeezus and other albums released in 2013 was how different it sounded and it was done successfully. This is definitely the music of the future.
  13. Jun 18, 2013
    Kanye has gone out and changed his sound, as usual. This time, he's dabbling in industrial hip hip. Yeezus is more or less an expansion on the industrial genre, using it as a perfect vehicle for Kanye's social commentary and infinite egotism. Though it may not be as honed as something like Death Grips' The Money Store, Yeezus is aggressively schizophrenic, and there's not a weak track toKanye has gone out and changed his sound, as usual. This time, he's dabbling in industrial hip hip. Yeezus is more or less an expansion on the industrial genre, using it as a perfect vehicle for Kanye's social commentary and infinite egotism. Though it may not be as honed as something like Death Grips' The Money Store, Yeezus is aggressively schizophrenic, and there's not a weak track to be had. One of the best of 2013. Expand
  14. Jun 25, 2014
    Am I late to the Yeezus party? It's been almost a month since the release of Yeezus, but I feel I need to get my opinion out there. On my first listen of Yeezus, I hated every minute of it, except a few tracks. I despised the autotune on Blood on the Leaves and Guilt Trip, and some of the subject matter felt like he wrote it in 2 minutes, and said it, I'm Kanye, people gon' buy my sh**Am I late to the Yeezus party? It's been almost a month since the release of Yeezus, but I feel I need to get my opinion out there. On my first listen of Yeezus, I hated every minute of it, except a few tracks. I despised the autotune on Blood on the Leaves and Guilt Trip, and some of the subject matter felt like he wrote it in 2 minutes, and said it, I'm Kanye, people gon' buy my sh** anyway.' Then I listened again, and again, and again. I don't know how 'Ye does it, but Yeezus has become my fourth favorite 'Ye album (CD, LR, MBDTF). My ears still hurt listening to the ridiculous gong show that is 'I Am A God' (HURRY UP WITH MY D*MN CROISSANT), but I sincerely enjoy a large percentage of every track on this album.

Favorite Songs: Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Guilt Trip, Bound 2
    Least Favorite Songs: On Sight, I Am A God

Edit 2014: Kanye is a genius. all praise Yeezus.

Favourite Tracks: Most of 'em
    Least Favourite Track: On Sight

Overall grade: 95-96/100
  15. Oct 16, 2013
    This is what you get when you mix very clever writing with expert sampling and producing. it has some really emotional moments, like the brilliant breakdown at the end of new slaves and the first verse of blood on the leaves to the awesome pumping beats on black skinhead to the hypnotic track guilt track. favorites: black skinhead, im a god, new slaves, blood on the leaves, im in it.
  16. Dec 8, 2014
    After the first listen, "Yeezus" may sound like just a group of jarring noises, all meant to piss you off and get you thinking to yourself, "how did anybody think this guy was good?" There lies your issue: repeated listens begin to really flesh out the gorgeous in what is Mr. West's darkest and craziest work to date. After his enormous success with the critically-lauded "My Beautiful DarkAfter the first listen, "Yeezus" may sound like just a group of jarring noises, all meant to piss you off and get you thinking to yourself, "how did anybody think this guy was good?" There lies your issue: repeated listens begin to really flesh out the gorgeous in what is Mr. West's darkest and craziest work to date. After his enormous success with the critically-lauded "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," Kanye sought out to change his game yet again, repeatedly informing interviewers about him doing the complete opposite of what people wanted from him musically. Abrasive, pummeling, extreme, grinding, droney and industrial are all words I would use to describe the sound from this record, yet in the hands of a man with talent like Mr. West, the irritating noises soon begin to take shape, form, and end up becoming a masterpiece that the perfectionist is obsessively using to stay far, far ahead of the game. Remember when hip-hop was uncomfortable? When it was weird and unpleasant and jarring and crazy? That's exactly what this album is, constantly knocking you off of your feet, and as you stand up to brush the dust off, hits you yet again. Ye also stated that he wanted a minimalist design to the record, and it is very much so; clocking in at 40 minutes, there's no beat or noise or scream that isn't perfectly in place. Also treading on the minimalism line is Ye's screams: unexpected and primal, they pierce the song abruptly, with beat changes coming and going in a manner never heard before. Personally, the tracks that were the least expected were my favorite: "On Sight" as an introduction is the most confused I've ever been when starting to listen to an album (I thought something was wrong with my iPod when it began). "Hold My Liquor" sounds ridiculous at first, but the longer it goes, the prettier it gets. "Blood On The Leaves" is my absolute favorite, with six minutes of him rapping/singing/wailing over a girl that he got pregnant, all on top of a sample of "Strange Fruit," a song about lynching. This moment alone smacked me in the face and deftly declared that Mr. West sure had the guts, balls and genius to pull it off. It's bold, it's urgent, but it's most importantly, revolutionary. Expand
  17. Jun 18, 2013
    A terrific piece of record. A dark, abrasive, industrial hip hop album, Yeezus is a breakthrough. You can feel the anti-pop vibes it sets off. The production is strikingly magnificent, the samples couldn't be more befitting and contents of the lyrics is an unorthodox yet innovative representation of various themes including (but not exclusively) Christianity and anti racism.

Bottomline,

Bottomline, it's not what you expect from Kanye, but still a masterpiece

Essential tracks: Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Hold My Liquor, I am God
  18. Jun 24, 2013
    Kanye doing what he does: making great music. I find this album oddly both fun to listen to and annoying as hell The best moment is on "New Slaves" when Cher bursts into chorus. Yeezus isn't the most fun to listen of Kanye's albums, but it deserves to be considered among his best.
  19. Nov 6, 2013
    This sounds like a M.I.A. album with some hardcore rap verses on it. A very innovative album by a very innovative artist. I love it. The best tracks are Black Skinhead, Blood on the leaves, On Sight, New Slaves & Bound 2.
  20. Aug 26, 2013
    Shocking, experimental, and abrasive, Yeezus may not be West's best work, yet it still features some brilliant lyrics and some memorable moments. Highlights include "On Sight," "Black Skinhead," "New Slaves," "Blood on the Leaves," and "Send it Up."
  21. Dec 1, 2013
    Yeezus is a great album that is helping rap evolve. Kanye finds a new way to push hip hop into a new boundary. Soon other hip-hop acts might join Kanye in having EDM production on their albums. Yeezus is just the start of the new boundary that Kanye created.
  22. May 3, 2014
    "He'll give us what we need / It may not be what we want"

This about sums it up nicely. Kanye knows what I want, better than I do. I never thought this album would sound like this. But I really like it. And that's because Kanye always keeps it fresh. He always tries to do something new, which is probably also why his career is so consistently good. He doesn't try to re-do or top what
    "He'll give us what we need / It may not be what we want"

And that's because Kanye always keeps it fresh. He always tries to do something new, which is probably also why his career is so consistently good. He doesn't try to re-do or top what he did in the past.

On his everlasting quest to do something fresh and bring something new to the mainstream music-world he decided it would be time to make some industrial-hip-hop. And please don't think I'm saying Yeezus is the first album of this sound, but seriously: Kanye is a major player. You'd expect something like this from a niche group (Death Grips), not a music star.
    Nonetheless Kanye does it. And he does it good. And the acid-y sound of On Sight that greets you on the first listen to the album hits you in the face. In a good way.

It may not be Kanye's strongest Album in the lyrical term, but it still features some nice commentary.

The production is on another level though. Minimalistic, experimental, hard-hitting - great.
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    Surprisingly great album. I loved My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy however felt Watch the Throne was just okay. This album is different, however it grows on you. Love him or hate him, Kanye West is an amazing musician and proves it with Yeezus.
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    I wouldn't say its better than Yeezy's last solo effort, but it comes pretty damn close. Yeezy tries something new with the dub-step beat behind On Sight. Excellent start. Hold My Liquor is halfway through the album's disappointing 10 tracks, and its straight amazing. The album ends with Bound 42 which everybody drooled over because it was sort of a throwback to College Dropout. This isn'tI wouldn't say its better than Yeezy's last solo effort, but it comes pretty damn close. Yeezy tries something new with the dub-step beat behind On Sight. Excellent start. Hold My Liquor is halfway through the album's disappointing 10 tracks, and its straight amazing. The album ends with Bound 42 which everybody drooled over because it was sort of a throwback to College Dropout. This isn't hip-hop, nor is this a rap album. Kanye changed up his style again and was very successful.... again. Of course people aren't going to like this album because its not stupid trap beats & raps. Its straight up MUSIC. NO GENRE. JUST ART IN ONE ALBUM. You hate this album? Get out of here. Your opinion is stupid. You're entitled to it, but its stupid because you're writing Kanye off because he's not hip-hop. Expand
  25. Jun 19, 2013
    Really Good Album sounds total different from his past albums and you will have to listen a couple of times but this album is dope lyrically/production wise on point its a masterpiece
  26. Jan 6, 2014
    Kanye's most recent album is by far his most extreme. Its angry, violent, dark yet brilliant. Amazing production is he icing on the cake. Best album of the year.
  27. Jan 29, 2014
    It's hard to call Yeezus Kanye's most inventive work, because literally every album he has released was extremely creative in its own time. What I can say is that Yeezus is the only rap album this year that I've heard where it genuinely caught me off-guard. There were multiple moments throughout the album where I said out loud "he can't do that... you can't do that, right?" But he did it.It's hard to call Yeezus Kanye's most inventive work, because literally every album he has released was extremely creative in its own time. What I can say is that Yeezus is the only rap album this year that I've heard where it genuinely caught me off-guard. There were multiple moments throughout the album where I said out loud "he can't do that... you can't do that, right?" But he did it. He would switch from one sample to the next, different tempo, no supporting beat, and then he would jump right back in to his flow with a new beat and sample behind himself.
    One of Kanye's trademarks is his repetitious use of sampling. Each song is incredibly unique, from the primal, angry satire of Kanye backed with a huge drumline and Tarzan-ish screaming in Black Skinhead, to the industrial, heavily distorted opener On Sight. Bound 2 and Hold My Liquor were standout tracks for originality, although Blood on the Leaves and New Slaves were more recognized and also very inventive in their own right.
    Nothing is in this album that doesn't belong in there, and that's a rare thing to say in the age of digital music recording. He went through ridiculous amounts of modifying, mixing, re-writing, and post-production over the course of this album, ultimately ending with the hiring of Rick Rubin the "reducer" less than three weeks before the album was due, to help over-see the final, drastic changes to the album.
    This album gets a 9.5, but I am going to round down to a 9 because there were some lyrical moments that were distastefully sexual and not even in a clever way. If that album were without the track I'm In It, I might round up to a 10. Still, Kanye's style and artisanship are still leagues ahead of most rappers in the game today, and this album deserves a listen from anyone who claims to be tired of the "same old same old."
  28. Jul 21, 2013
    Kanye does it again. Yeezus is a triumph of unparalleled musical imagination, created by the ultimate music nerd who thinks nothing of genres and styles and gleefuly mashes everything he wants like a mad alchemist, creating an unholy concoction that works even though it really shouldn't. Who else would even dare to have Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Chicago drill poster boy Chief Keef singKanye does it again. Yeezus is a triumph of unparalleled musical imagination, created by the ultimate music nerd who thinks nothing of genres and styles and gleefuly mashes everything he wants like a mad alchemist, creating an unholy concoction that works even though it really shouldn't. Who else would even dare to have Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Chicago drill poster boy Chief Keef sing on the same track? Who would imagine that you could mix TNGHT and Nina Simone? Who would slap a hefty chunk of a track by a 1970s Hungarian prog rock band at the end of his own composition and then sing all over it? Only Yeezus. Expand
  29. Apr 8, 2014
    Are you a believer of Yeezianity???? Well you should be. Yeezus is undoubtedly his most abrasive album to date. He is as aggressive and egoistical as ever before on this project. When you're a GOD you make the rules hence giving a single F***k on his lazy braggadocios lyrics used where it could be seen a major flaw but when its as organic as 'Ye makes it out to be we cannot beAre you a believer of Yeezianity???? Well you should be. Yeezus is undoubtedly his most abrasive album to date. He is as aggressive and egoistical as ever before on this project. When you're a GOD you make the rules hence giving a single F***k on his lazy braggadocios lyrics used where it could be seen a major flaw but when its as organic as 'Ye makes it out to be we cannot be disappointed. For every stan out there who loved My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, it could turn out to be a surprise or a disaster for some however it thrives on excitement. He made it clear he's here to be the next Steve Jobs, Andy Warhol e.t.c. but seriously with a discography as compelling to most current artists today giving him the benefit of the doubt is an understatement. Daft Punk did brilliantly on constructing the acid-house influenced track "On Sight" and its Punk influenced "Black skinhead". I cannot say its his best album to date due to its craft work as times sounds underwhelming however Kanye West has once again set his ego bar at an all time high, as for things goes its simply a breath of fresh air. 9/10 Expand
  30. Jun 19, 2013
    Another classic from Kanye West. It's natural that some people don't like it; he's pushing the boundaries of hip-hop. You'll thank him in 10 years. An excellent album.
  31. Jun 18, 2013
    Yeezus fails at what My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was fantastic. It hasn't a concrete atmosphere and it lacks innovation (as a hip-hop album). Punchlines are there but they are not really concentrated and cohesive. But I think this is maybe the most important thing when you are listening to this new Kanye's album. It is empty, unsettling, dark, aggressive and still mind-blowing. AndYeezus fails at what My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was fantastic. It hasn't a concrete atmosphere and it lacks innovation (as a hip-hop album). Punchlines are there but they are not really concentrated and cohesive. But I think this is maybe the most important thing when you are listening to this new Kanye's album. It is empty, unsettling, dark, aggressive and still mind-blowing. And it gets better with every listen. Yeezus just rose again. Expand
  32. Jun 18, 2013
    Kanye West must of lost something in the last 3 years but still manages to deliver a kick-ass album. Kanye West is definitely one of the more outspoken and lyrically talented rappers of this day and age, but i don't think this album is as World changing the "God" wanted. I mean this is expected, personally, i think it would be extremely hard to compete with his previous effort "MyKanye West must of lost something in the last 3 years but still manages to deliver a kick-ass album. Kanye West is definitely one of the more outspoken and lyrically talented rappers of this day and age, but i don't think this album is as World changing the "God" wanted. I mean this is expected, personally, i think it would be extremely hard to compete with his previous effort "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" but Kanye still knows how to deliver and hasn't lost his touch completely. What i do love about this album is i feel that Ye has connected back into his roots of The College Dropout while still using his overproduced beats that critics have fell in love with. Now, Yeezy is actually bringing back some rap and doing a good job mixing the two together. I hope for more efforts like this for the future ofr raps "God". Expand
  33. Dec 22, 2013
    This is worth listening to... The creativity of his production along with his egotistical rhymes makes Yeezus an ultimate classic even though it's not in West's top 3 albums...
  34. Mar 29, 2014
    Brilliance mixed with Ignorance with a side of Egotistical-ness, if thats even a word. But overall for what it is being an experimental album, I really feel like Kanye delivered just in a different way then he did with MBDTF, Dropout, and LR
  35. Mar 12, 2014
    The album is an angry, muddled, ignorant, slapped-together heap of vulgar expression that works better than anyone else in music could've done. It's an album so angrily sure of itself it'll have you convinced that a man worth 100 million dollars faces oppression comparable to that of a slave.
  36. Dec 15, 2014
    This album is perfect production is remarkably excellent. The songs and personality led him to become a "Yeezus" of music although it is too egocentric. I think his selfishness led him to create this perfect album. The best are: "Black Skinhead", "I Am a God", "Bound 2", "Blood On The Leaves".
  37. Jul 30, 2013
    Expect the unexpected. Open your mind. Free your mind of any prejudices. Be open and listen to the lyrics closely. Kanye is here to speak his mind in a very raw way. It's industrial in sound and very punchy in it's delivery. This isn't for the laid back listen. But it can be once you are used to it. It's different from his previous albums but there are familiar elements mixed in. KanyeExpect the unexpected. Open your mind. Free your mind of any prejudices. Be open and listen to the lyrics closely. Kanye is here to speak his mind in a very raw way. It's industrial in sound and very punchy in it's delivery. This isn't for the laid back listen. But it can be once you are used to it. It's different from his previous albums but there are familiar elements mixed in. Kanye West is still in top form here. The good far outweighs the bad. It's hardcore Kanye.....but spoken through....well....YEEZUS. Expand
  38. Jun 18, 2013
    This is truly a work of art that needs multiple listens to fully appreciate it for what it is. Yeezus is a huge creative chance and the only guy who could pull it off with such perfection is Kanye West. Yeezus isn't the Hip-Hop album out on June 18th, but it is the best album.
  39. Jun 21, 2013
    first listen i was heavily disappointed, but having faith in Kanye I listened again and it sounded much better. With every listen the record grew on me as I discovered new layers to it, and it once again shows that Kanye is the most innovative artist out right now in pulling this off.
  40. Jun 18, 2013
    Yeezus is captivating, exhilarating and mind blowing at the same time. Every song has it's own entity and it pushes new boundaries for hip hop and music as a whole. If Kanye would put out a single from the album, Blood on the leaves would be the perfect single coming from this diverse 10 track disc.
  41. Jun 21, 2013
    Great album, took me a few plays to appreciate it, but worth while. Lyrically I felt it lacked a touch which is why I wouldn't give it a full 10. xxxx
  42. Jun 18, 2013
    Kanye tries to do something different with each of his albums. His last solo album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, is a masterpiece. I don't think he'd be able to create an album just as good as MBDTF just yet. However, Yeezus is definitely welcomed and a fresh listen. It's different, experimental, and wild. The production is phenomenal and the lyrics always have those hidden meaningsKanye tries to do something different with each of his albums. His last solo album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, is a masterpiece. I don't think he'd be able to create an album just as good as MBDTF just yet. However, Yeezus is definitely welcomed and a fresh listen. It's different, experimental, and wild. The production is phenomenal and the lyrics always have those hidden meanings you gotta search for, just like any other Kanye album. The album starts off strong with colab productions between Kanye and Daft Punk. The final track, Bound 2, is an ode to his old style (College Dropout/Late Registration) with some new spice, and is a great ending to the total 40 minutes this album will give you.

Of course, this album isn't for everyone. It's darker than anything he's put out before. My first listen, I didn't feel the album. But now, after listening to it much more, I can definitely saw this album is worthy of a 9. People who don't like this album are just scared of experimentation and change.
  43. Jun 22, 2013
    I've been listening to music from different generation 60's 70's 80's 90's and this generation no album made me this speechless this i by far the best album this year and one of my favorite albums of all time This album is not for everybody but you should give it a listen to see if it's for you
  44. Jun 18, 2013
    If there's one thing you can expect from Kanye West, it's that you never know what to expect from Kanye West. Yeezus is darker and more twisted than his last fantasy that had us all screaming masterpiece, and after a few listens through this album, you'll be thinking the same thing.
  45. Jun 18, 2013
    Yeezus is the type of album you can listen to if your sad, happy, or angry. I was disappointed after the first listen, but after a couple more this album grows on you.
  46. Jun 19, 2013
    This album is amazing except for the first song, which starts the entire ordeal on a sour note. However, by the time "Hold my liquor" is reached, the album has reached it's epitome, and ending the album on "Bound 2" was hands down an excellent choice. Perfect.
  47. Nov 15, 2013
    While most people won't like the experimental tones of Kanye's album, the few people that do decide to listen to it fully will absolutely fall in love with it. All of the tones sound rough on the first listen, but with every replay, the beats get the better and the lyrics get deeper. This is nothing compared to the older albums like The College Dropout and Late Registration, but it's theWhile most people won't like the experimental tones of Kanye's album, the few people that do decide to listen to it fully will absolutely fall in love with it. All of the tones sound rough on the first listen, but with every replay, the beats get the better and the lyrics get deeper. This is nothing compared to the older albums like The College Dropout and Late Registration, but it's the difference that makes the difference. Expand
  48. Oct 24, 2013
    'Yeezus', the follow-up to West's critically acclaimed 2010 solo record 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' and his 2011 and 2012 collaboration albums 'Watch the Throne' and 'Cruel Summer'; is minamalist, dark, and highly experimental. Album highlights "Black Skinhead", "On Sight", and "New Slaves" showcase the galloping manifesto sound that West was aiming to create. Similar to many of'Yeezus', the follow-up to West's critically acclaimed 2010 solo record 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' and his 2011 and 2012 collaboration albums 'Watch the Throne' and 'Cruel Summer'; is minamalist, dark, and highly experimental. Album highlights "Black Skinhead", "On Sight", and "New Slaves" showcase the galloping manifesto sound that West was aiming to create. Similar to many of West's previous records, 'Yeezus' contains several genius samples; however 'Yeezus' is much less mainstream than his previous efforts; shown by the album's lack of singles (with the exception of "Black Skinhead" and "Bound 2", which were both released after the album dropped).

Although the album is arguably the best hip hop record of the year, I can't help but be slightly irritated by West's evident which is clearly displayed by the track "I Am A God" and his decision to barely promote the record, which makes it seem like West was just trying to prove that he could have an album go to #1 without significant promotion. Of course, 'Yeezus' did go to number 1, and its not like West has ever really been a wholesome or down-to-earth dude, but West's narcissistic personality comes off a little too strong on 'Yeezus'. Despite this, the album is still exquisite.
  49. Jul 21, 2013
    If there's one thing this proves, it's that he's learned from Watch The Throne. Kanye's joint effort with Jay-Z tried to be bigger than it was capable of at times, and while it was a solid effort, stripping it down for a more raw sound on Yeezus has paid off. This is as innovative as any rap album has ever been.
  50. Jun 18, 2013
    This album will define every hip-hop album after it. So So different, that u want to hate it at first, but after, its genius. HURRY UP WITH MY DAMN CROISSANTS!!!
  51. Jun 18, 2013
    Coming off the maximalist splendor of MBDTF, which captured many, including my own, opinions for best album of 2010, Kanye has scaled back the grandiosity of the music he makes, but has not lost any of the emotional impact. These ten songs bite and snarl like the dogs he samples "Black Skinhead" bringing to mind comparisons to aggressive hip hop groups such as Death Grips or Public Enemy.Coming off the maximalist splendor of MBDTF, which captured many, including my own, opinions for best album of 2010, Kanye has scaled back the grandiosity of the music he makes, but has not lost any of the emotional impact. These ten songs bite and snarl like the dogs he samples "Black Skinhead" bringing to mind comparisons to aggressive hip hop groups such as Death Grips or Public Enemy. The sweeping varied orchestration of MBDTF and the profuse sampling of his earlier work is traded for hypnotic, pounding synths that evoke Suicide or Nine Inch Nails. The sounds are as aggressive as the lyrics that replace maudlin attempts at sincerity with blunt, violent sexual imagery and blatant egoism. Yet as disgusting and challenging this album can be, especially for those expecting MBDTF 2, it elicits a primal feeling in the listener and is much more rewarding on multiple listens then any of his previous works. It has just taken the place of my favorite album of the year so far, and itll be particularly hard to upset. Expand
  52. Jun 18, 2013
    Unbelieveable album. Top-notch album with amazing production, and as per usual, Ye's mixture of politics, religion and humour in his lyrics. Put it this way, he made Chief Keef sound good.. And we all know how bad he is!
  53. Jun 18, 2013
    Every song on this album is worth tons of listens. Imagine taking Kanye West's entire discography, weeding out all of the bad parts (excluding lyrics), then mashing them together in a rapid-fire listening experience. Teamed up with Daft Punk, the same people who made his megahit "Stronger" work, Kanye once again uses their abstract electronic production to great use on four-five tracks.Every song on this album is worth tons of listens. Imagine taking Kanye West's entire discography, weeding out all of the bad parts (excluding lyrics), then mashing them together in a rapid-fire listening experience. Teamed up with Daft Punk, the same people who made his megahit "Stronger" work, Kanye once again uses their abstract electronic production to great use on four-five tracks.

On Sight is quite possibly the greatest opener for an album ever. The beat and flow just immediately catch your attention and drag you in. Not to mention there's a cool interpolation of "Stronger" at the end.
    Black Skinhead is the most obvious representation of angry Kanye. The instrumental is astounding and the lyrics are among Ye's best. Same thing with New Slaves.
    I Am a God is boastful and obnoxious (HURRY UP WITH MY DAMN CROISSANTS!) but at the same time mesmerizing.
    Only Kanye West can make a Chief Keef and Juston Vernon collaboration work. Hold My Liquor is that uber-catchy dark collaboration with three completely different hooks.
    I'm In It is twisted porn in music. The hook's singer is hysterical, and his verse is the fastest on the album but also hardest to understand with the accent. Kanye raps about eating Asian with sweet and sour sauce, too, so that's relatively funny.
    Blood on the Leaves is everything good about 808s and Heartbreak, with Guilt Trip as its little cousin of a song.
    Send it Up is loud. Not in the instrumental or the rapping, but Mr. Rick Rubin did quite a lot to the hook's volume. Why? Makes no sense if you listen to the song, but OK. Song is catchy but weak.
    Bound 2 is retro Kanye. He ends this album where he began but also provides a conclusion. The production samples a soul song just as Kanye did in his yesteryears. The amazing thing about this track, though, is that Kanye West's instrumental says that he's "bound to fall in love!" and his lyrics detail his struggle throughout the years relating to his relationship with Kim Kardashian. This track shows the journey Kanye has taken and where he has ended up over the years.

Beyond the bragging, beyond the ego, beyond the award-show thief, you have Kanye West: a jazz/soul loving, heartbroken man who has finally found love.
  54. Jun 19, 2013
    I can see why people don't like this album...its very different. But Kanye is Kanye and he always does something different..I think this album will grow much more on the people who don't like it if they just take it for what it is. Great album imo.
  55. Jul 5, 2013
    "Yeezus" is one of the most innovative albums of all-time. It cannot even be classified as just "rap". Kanye West can now be considered as his own very genre. Songs like "Hold My Liquor" and "Blood On The Leaves" make you realize there's still hope for modern music yet. Not quite to the diversified level of his last solo album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", but an amazing album it's"Yeezus" is one of the most innovative albums of all-time. It cannot even be classified as just "rap". Kanye West can now be considered as his own very genre. Songs like "Hold My Liquor" and "Blood On The Leaves" make you realize there's still hope for modern music yet. Not quite to the diversified level of his last solo album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", but an amazing album it's own right. Expand
  56. Jun 18, 2013
    This, is quite simply, the greatest project Mr. Kanye Omari Yeezus West has ever created EVER. Anyone who says otherwise is a hipster who says "his old music is better". Other than that the naysayers are idiots who aren't rap fans to begin with. Highlights of the album are I'm In It, I Am A God,Blood on the Leaves & New......f*ck it. THE WHOLE ALBUM IS AMAZING... GO BUY IT NOW. OR ELSE.
  57. Dec 5, 2013
    People will understand and appreciate this album in time. It's Kanye's Kid A.

Initially, I only thought the album was ok. If I wrote this review right away, I might have given it a heart sinking 5 (I'm a massive Ye stan). But as time went on, I started to enjoy it more and more. Now I listen to it almost every day. It just caught me off guard because it didn't hit off with me right
    People will understand and appreciate this album in time. It's Kanye's Kid A.

But as time went on, I started to enjoy it more and more. Now I listen to it almost every day. It just caught me off guard because it didn't hit off with me right away like all of his other solo efforts.
  58. Jul 14, 2013
    I was tempted to give Kanye a "1" for releasing a new album while I am supposed to be studying for the bar. But after repeated listening, I just cant do it. This album is simply freaking brilliant, might be even better than his last. As usual Kanye exhibits his brilliant sampling skills, beats and backing music are sick, use of autotune that actually doesn't make me want to shoot myselfI was tempted to give Kanye a "1" for releasing a new album while I am supposed to be studying for the bar. But after repeated listening, I just cant do it. This album is simply freaking brilliant, might be even better than his last. As usual Kanye exhibits his brilliant sampling skills, beats and backing music are sick, use of autotune that actually doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the ear. And of course, his unparalleled flow, clever as hell rhymes sprinkled throughout, and language-invention skills (he's taken us from "safe-belt" to "pregnanated". Kanye, you are a brilliant goddamn bastard. Oh, and stay away from my wife. Expand
  59. Nov 28, 2013
    To the ego of Kanye West, controversy is a virtue. Continually, pushing the boundaries of Hip-Hop as 'ranted' in his Zane Lowe interview/harangue 'Rap the new Rock 'n' Roll'.
    He teases any listener with statements 'I am a God' perhaps warranting an extensive reply of unconventional attention. Kanye does not make music for the fans of Radio Hip-Hop nor for the common easy going listener. And melodically, the album plays on the notions of dichotomy, from uncomfortable screechy synths to truly harmonious echoes of beauty. He is continually subverting a society in which typical every day norms are replaced by the 'Black Skinhead'. This prevalent undertone is unfortunately disguised by Kanye's array of misogynistic and perhaps unattractive verse.
    However, this album is alone, remarkably Kanye is attempting to catalyze a progression in music, 'again'. The original controversial reception of 80s & Heartbreaks has now morphed into an appreciation for what we hear every day. In this album Kanye West once again stamps on the fence surrounding our microcosm of normal music and he takes full credit for this. He is the square peg in a round hole.
  60. Nov 29, 2013
    Brilliant at first I wasnt so sure about the album after the first listen because it is hard to listen to but there's no such thing of listening there is only re-listening so after I listened again I loved it
  61. Jun 18, 2013
    Step up from from Watch The Throne
    If you loved WTT and felt like Graduation lacked substance then this is the album for you.
    While tackling social issues Kanye manages to continue his exploration of the sound of the future with the first 3 tracks produced by Daft Punk. You can see similarities with its predecessor Dark fantasy which also mixed Social issue rant sex lies drugs,...
    Step up from from Watch The Throne
    You can see similarities with its predecessor Dark fantasy which also mixed Social issue rant sex lies drugs,... but in a way only West can.
    The songs are so creatively structured that you dont know what to expect (dancehall, soul rap, rock, scream,..) until the last bit.
    He managed to be minimalistic while still mixing genres that we never thought were mixable like Justin Vernon and Some dancehall.
    Anyways this is nowhere near Dark fantasy but it is a great answer to it and a step forward from the 2 albums I mentionned at first.
    Have a nice ride Its not an album its a musical actually.
  62. Jun 18, 2013
    Dark, cold, sometimes frightening. The generally polar opposite opinions this album is generating are not surprising. It's a masterpiece, and it's often not very accessible, which is what makes it a masterpiece to begin with. Some people don't like inaccessible, which is fine. It's a challenging record that will piss off a lot of people. Completely brilliant. What wouldDark, cold, sometimes frightening. The generally polar opposite opinions this album is generating are not surprising. It's a masterpiece, and it's often not very accessible, which is what makes it a masterpiece to begin with. Some people don't like inaccessible, which is fine. It's a challenging record that will piss off a lot of people. Completely brilliant. What would Jeromey-romey-romey-rome think? Expand
  63. Dec 10, 2013
    Kanye West shows once again, through Yeezus, that he is transcendent of most musical norms. It seems anymore as if Kanye West could release an album of nothing but talking about philosophy and himself, with absolutely no music, and we would see it as the next great thing in music. But it is so, because with every album Kanye is pushing what we as a society thought were his limits, to theKanye West shows once again, through Yeezus, that he is transcendent of most musical norms. It seems anymore as if Kanye West could release an album of nothing but talking about philosophy and himself, with absolutely no music, and we would see it as the next great thing in music. But it is so, because with every album Kanye is pushing what we as a society thought were his limits, to the point where many think the man is limitless. The obvious sell for this album is its originality, but it is original because it blends old Kanye with newer Kanye, with a fusion of something we haven't seen from him before. While not his best work, it certainly ranks near the top, clumped in a group with The College Dropout and Late Registration, just not quite as good as My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. As we take in Yeezus for what it is, we also are steadily preparing for Kanye's next album, which figures to be another step into musical history. Best album of 2013. Expand
  64. Jun 18, 2013
    check my full, in depth review of Yeezus on Music Medication: http://wehcmusicmed.blogspot.com/, where i also give links to some of my favorite tracks!
  65. Jun 18, 2013
    Greatest Kanye album of all time... OF ALL TIME. I mean no homo bruh bruh but I luh dis so much Imma play it at my wedding NO HOMO but for my ladies that's some real HEHE
  66. Jul 18, 2013
    This album is incredible. Kanye will never top it. He's one of the biggest artists in the world and has made an album that could have been made on some indie Chicago label. In saying that, the production quality on the album is phenomenal. Kanye has managed to make a record that is unmistakably his own despite being outnumbered hugely by collaborators. I honestly cannot think of anotherThis album is incredible. Kanye will never top it. He's one of the biggest artists in the world and has made an album that could have been made on some indie Chicago label. In saying that, the production quality on the album is phenomenal. Kanye has managed to make a record that is unmistakably his own despite being outnumbered hugely by collaborators. I honestly cannot think of another album I've devoted more time to, and that's its defining quality.

It has to be noted that this is the record that most effectively parodies the #madrichalert culture that has produced so much appalling radio friendly hip-hop. He may or may not be slightly serious in thinking that he's a god, but he's got the greatest claim to be and he seems to be the only rapper around that doesn't care despite that. This has to be the perfect record to define everything that's good about music right now because of that.
  67. Jun 18, 2013
    Very experimental hip hop album, but it comes together very well. This album is dark and edgy, especially in the beginning. If you're looking for great lyrical content then this is not the album for you, because the lyrics are average at best, but what this album lacks in lyrical content it excels in production.
  68. Jun 18, 2013
    An incredible album. Truly. Great production, entertaining and provocative lyrics. Cemented classic by Pitchfork (9.5). This is the opposite of J Coal's audio nyquil.
  69. Jun 18, 2013
    The most highly anticipated album of the year, Yeezus, by Kanye West has finally been unleashed and it’s ready to invade your ear drums.
    Opening the album is the ultramodern banger, ‘On Sight’ which was produced by Daft Punk. The track is driven by a menacing, fuzzy synth that is backed by some intensely abrasive drums. This track is one of many on the album that bring back the Acid House sound that was started in Chicago in the ’80s. ‘On Sight’ particularly is reminiscent of one of the first in the genre of Chicago House, ‘Acid Tracks,’ by Phuture and has Kanye dancing all over the track like a savage beast. “Yeezy season’s approaching,” Kanye raps. “..The monster’s about to come alive again.” Following, is the recalcitrant and near-tribal track ‘Black Skinhead’, that threads between both Ye’s traditional boastering of anti-establishment and anti-racism themes. “For my theme song” Kanye raps at the start of the Daft Punk produced track similar to his line “I guess every superhero need his theme music” on ‘Power’, the first single to his 2010 project My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Perhaps “Black Skinhead” is supposed to pick up where ‘Power’ left off, delineating the aftermath and hangover of a power trip. The metaphor could be stretched even further to foster the idea of Kanye having some sort of allegorical attraction to the DC superhero Batman. Being a “dark knight” or being seen as a vigilante or bad guy, when only trying to do good. Kanye has been showing up to recent performances wearing masks and elaborate costumes going on about how he “isn’t a celebrity.” He is the hero for music and culture in a similar way Batman is a hero for Gotham City. The media may claim the perspective of both as something that should encourage hate, they are “The hero the city deserves, but not the one it needs right now.” At track number three is the highly controversial ‘I Am a God’ which has Kanye basking in all the negativity he’s experienced the hate received for everything from his music to his fashion and proclaims himself to be a God over a barrage of synths, howls and bass. Kanye won’t stop until another god decides to strike him down.

Keep Reading http://dopedrops.com/2013/06/kanye-west-yeezus-review/
  70. Jun 19, 2013
    Yeezy has done it again and like all his previous albums its something totally different than the others.... The music production is exceptional his lyrics darker than ever. Kanye West always pours his heart and effort into each album and this was no exception and in this one Kanye is at his best creativity efforts lyrical, musical and promotion wise. This album although is a great pieceYeezy has done it again and like all his previous albums its something totally different than the others.... The music production is exceptional his lyrics darker than ever. Kanye West always pours his heart and effort into each album and this was no exception and in this one Kanye is at his best creativity efforts lyrical, musical and promotion wise. This album although is a great piece of work isnt as good as MBDTW but still a Kanye album is a Kanye album. I just dont get all the ignorant haters.... Expand
  71. Jun 18, 2013
    Innovation in hip hop amazing album do not listen to the haters they are just late comers and are gonna love it in the end! this album changes everything you thought you knew hip hop it will blow your mind.
  72. Jun 18, 2013
    Kanye's lyrics are both as lazy and as clever as ever, but the production is incredible. Occasionally repetitive flow, but Kanye's album gives me the same feeling as listening to "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". Great album, and a new take and sound to his music.
  73. Jun 18, 2013
    People need to listen. Listen. You will not like it, You will LOVE IT. It changes everything. Give it a second, third and fourth listen. I bet you that you will love it. Evolution. Every time. Good Job Kanye WeST.
  74. Jun 21, 2013
    This albums so special, it really is masterpiece with the mix of electronic beats and dark aura with Yeezy's lyrics cutting deep making it uniquely amazing. This is the start of the revival of Rap with J.Cole, Wale, Jay-Z and Drake to follow.
  75. Jun 25, 2013
    Kanye is great because he does what he wants, because he's an egomaniac with a stunning gift for writing both beats and rhymes. Every album has been a different extension of his genius mixed with a facet of his personality. If My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was his expression of celebrity and intimate feelings, then Yeezus is Kanye at the VMAs, telling Taylor Swift that Beyonce wasKanye is great because he does what he wants, because he's an egomaniac with a stunning gift for writing both beats and rhymes. Every album has been a different extension of his genius mixed with a facet of his personality. If My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was his expression of celebrity and intimate feelings, then Yeezus is Kanye at the VMAs, telling Taylor Swift that Beyonce was better. This album is Kanye screaming at the world, ego inflated, that whatever he does is a masterpiece because only HE can pull it off.

Yeezus, the title, suggests this. It's an obvious allusion to Jesus, who by the words of the Bible could do things others could not. This is Yeezus. It's Kanye doing what others can't. He took a synth and turned it into a dark, grinding, acidic extension of his ego.

However, this album isn't all dark grit and grind. I personally think "Bound 2" belongs more on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in terms of stylistic qualities, but its beautiful sampling and clever lyrics will not be depricated in the slightest by being a part of this album. It might be my favorite song Kanye has ever made, it's that good.

If you have an open mind, you'll enjoy this album. It takes two or three listens to really get a grasp on what Kanye was trying to do here; however, once this has been achieved, this album is brilliant in its own right.

This isn't My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. This is more ambitious, more egotistical, more narcissistic. Not every can produce M.B.D.T.F. (a classic, mind you) every album. This is about as close to a great repeat effort as one can be. It's a great album. IF there's one thing we know about Kanye, ti's that he doesn't think he has a ceiling. This album is a reflection of that.

Enjoy it.
  76. Jul 6, 2013
    This album is a masterpiece. I don't know why people have stated that they dislike this album, they must not know what good music is. Every song is amazing and the incorporation of rap, drill house, and dance-hall make this album better than born sinner and Magna Carta Holy Grail 10 times over.
  77. Oct 2, 2013
    Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano. Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano. Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano. Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano.
  78. Jun 18, 2013
    The epitome of the word "masterpiece". Kanye proves he doesn't have to make music targeted at mainstream society to produce a classic album! Don't expect Ye to ever sound the same again, he's entered a new plain of existence. One no other artist will venture any time soon.
  79. gsc
    Jun 19, 2013
    This album with it's fearless egotistical lyrics, dark themes, and hard inventive beats is Kanye's best album yet. This is an album more complex and more complete than anything the artist has done before. All the songs flow into each other and all but one "bound 2" would feel out of place on any other Kanye album. This is an album that requires more than one listen to truly appreciate. TheThis album with it's fearless egotistical lyrics, dark themes, and hard inventive beats is Kanye's best album yet. This is an album more complex and more complete than anything the artist has done before. All the songs flow into each other and all but one "bound 2" would feel out of place on any other Kanye album. This is an album that requires more than one listen to truly appreciate. The first time you listen to it you're left dumbfounded and do not know what to make of the strangeness you have just heard. But upon a second listen you realize this is the birth of a new darker Kanye. The egotism of this album would be unforgivable if this album was not as good as it is, but it is. Yeezus is the dark twisted masterpiece of a mad genius. Expand
  80. Jul 5, 2013
    This is the first time, I am reviewing a brand new album. I usually take some time to get used to an album but some albums are such that they stick with you even when you listen to them just once. After listening to this album nearly seven times now, I think I am in a position to review it properly. Basically its great!!

Yes, he is back with his 6th album. By this time as a fan I knew

Yes, he is back with his 6th album. By this time as a fan I knew that this album like all his other albums has to be different or break some trends and most likely set a few new trends. 3 years after creating arguably one of the greatest rap albums of all time. He is back again doing what he does best, defy the norms and he still refuses to make the rap albums that everybody else seems to make. Its only been 3 days since the album was released but I can say this with full conviction:

I took notice of this genius when I heard his second album: Late Registration. Shortly, its my favourite rap album of all time.

With this album, Kanye West de-constructs the rap/hip-hop conventions, chops them up and makes something that’s sonically akin to Massive Attack’s: “Mezzanine” than say, any of his other albums. He created his own genre twice before with “808s & Heartbreak” and “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” and this one is inventive and different in the same vein as these two albums.
  81. Jun 18, 2013
    The energy in this album is unbelieveable, the beats and the lyrics are fresh and relentless. Though not perfect, this album truly is great. 9.25/10
  82. Jul 27, 2013
    Yes, i'm a Kanye West fan but I had my doubts about this at first. I felt it was too derivative from Death Grips and Clipping.'s sound and that it was a bandwagoning attempt but I was half-wrong. Yes, he was attempting the sound but at the same time, he did something a bit difficult. He gave it a mainstream appeal! That's what I love about this album (or mixtape, since its short and isYes, i'm a Kanye West fan but I had my doubts about this at first. I felt it was too derivative from Death Grips and Clipping.'s sound and that it was a bandwagoning attempt but I was half-wrong. Yes, he was attempting the sound but at the same time, he did something a bit difficult. He gave it a mainstream appeal! That's what I love about this album (or mixtape, since its short and is structured like a mixtape). It's certainly no MBDTF or even Late Registration but this is up there with them Expand
  83. Jul 17, 2013
    If you like electronic music and rap, look no further. I happen to have grown up on Daft Punk, and though this makes me an outlier, I didn't love Kanye until 808s. Some people find this album abrasive, but I'm used to these kinds of sounds from electronic music. I really enjoy the beats. The one thing holding it back for me is that some of the lyrics are superficial, but that's Kanye a lotIf you like electronic music and rap, look no further. I happen to have grown up on Daft Punk, and though this makes me an outlier, I didn't love Kanye until 808s. Some people find this album abrasive, but I'm used to these kinds of sounds from electronic music. I really enjoy the beats. The one thing holding it back for me is that some of the lyrics are superficial, but that's Kanye a lot of the time. I wouldn't say all of the lyrics are bad though, especially in New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves. Expand
  84. Jun 18, 2013
    Incredible. Daft Punk, Rick Rubin, Mike Dean, Travis Scott and Bon Iver. Its revolutionary.

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  85. Jun 18, 2013
    Yet another fantastic album from Yeezy. As always, he keeps it new and exciting and you never quite now what to expect from him. Yeezus, like MBDTF, pushes the boundaries of what a hip hop album can be, sonically and thematically. There's no other musician who can put Justin Vernon and Chief Keef together on a track about heartbreak and emptiness (Hold My Liquor) and make it work so amazingly.
  86. Jun 18, 2013
    took time to get used too for sure I was disgusted by the album first listen. But now I can't get enough. I love every song except on sight. Definitely has to grow on you. And you have to get past that this is not a "soul sample" album even though it does use some samples extremely beautifully.
  87. Jun 18, 2013
    An incredible experimental rap album. Kanye West is the most innovative rapper around and never fails to deliver quality music while changing the genre for the better. Some people dislike West because of his so-called "arrogant" personality, but he really isn't. West speaks his mind and says what he feels is right. Furthermore, an artist's personality should not affect your opinion ofAn incredible experimental rap album. Kanye West is the most innovative rapper around and never fails to deliver quality music while changing the genre for the better. Some people dislike West because of his so-called "arrogant" personality, but he really isn't. West speaks his mind and says what he feels is right. Furthermore, an artist's personality should not affect your opinion of music, which has always been top notch. Expand
  88. Jun 18, 2013
    Like every Kanye album...Ye has taken a current trend and twisted it into his own perfection...and like every Kanye album, it's amazing. Kanye has done it again, providing a dark "alternative" album that leaves listeners questioning their first listen, and deeply falling in love every listen after. I highly suggest that everyone listen at least twice, and take in the beautiful music Ye hasLike every Kanye album...Ye has taken a current trend and twisted it into his own perfection...and like every Kanye album, it's amazing. Kanye has done it again, providing a dark "alternative" album that leaves listeners questioning their first listen, and deeply falling in love every listen after. I highly suggest that everyone listen at least twice, and take in the beautiful music Ye has blessed us with. Can't complain about this 10 track album when every song blows you away. Congrats Yeezy, you did it again. 10/10 Expand
  89. Jun 18, 2013
    This album is amazing! Kanye can't go wrong! Wow lost for words Amazing from start to finish & this is way better than all the June eighteen albums coming out.
  90. Jun 18, 2013
    Kanye proves again why he's the best at pushing boundaries. This album is above and beyond plain hip-hop definitions. Its punk, its rock, its electro and house, and it all works together in great harmony.
  91. Jun 18, 2013
    Hurry up with my damn croissants.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hah:
  92. Jun 18, 2013
    King Kanye, this album is GODLY. Although it can have a polarising affect on listeners this is no doubt a hip hold album way ahead of its time. This will be seen as one of the most defining albums of recent rap history.
  93. Jun 18, 2013
    Listening to this album is the equivalent of licking iggy azalea's clean, then shoving your tongue into the small hair follicle opening (or pore) of your favorite gay porn stars nipple. "I just talked to Jesus, He said what up Yeezus" The sheer imagery of Mr. West calling to the son of god on an iphone makes me cum sperm biscuits. If you give this album anything less than a 100, I willListening to this album is the equivalent of licking iggy azalea's clean, then shoving your tongue into the small hair follicle opening (or pore) of your favorite gay porn stars nipple. "I just talked to Jesus, He said what up Yeezus" The sheer imagery of Mr. West calling to the son of god on an iphone makes me cum sperm biscuits. If you give this album anything less than a 100, I will personaly shove my up your dick hole, trust me, this is pure pleasure, but from the reaction of your father, it wasn't for the reciever. Never the less, MBDTF was getting by a sheer excellence, but this, this is like getting by the raunchiest, most dirtiest you've ever gazed upon, truly a magnificant symmetrical veins, proportionate tip, shaft. I swear to god i have literally a massive turd and licked it and this album is still better. I also played this while i was stroking my massive shrivled up and even with the condom on I have had sperm fly into my eyes on few occasions) i lasted less than 10 seconds max, i also farted while i came if that alters anyones mind on wether this album is great or not. Thank you yeezus christ, for the greatest album i've ever heard. 100/100 Expand
  94. Jun 18, 2013
    Another classic by Kanye West. Yeezus features examples of some of Kanye's greatest production to date with tracks like 'Bound 2' and 'I'm in It' alongside some of the greatest verses written by him such as 'New Slaves' and 'I Am a God'. Unbelievably good; every one of the 10 tracks is excellent. Kanye at his usual best: experimental, abrasive and stupidly enjoyable to listen to.
  95. Jun 18, 2013
    For Kanye, there's purpose in repulsion. And on Yeezus, he trades out smooth soul and anthemic choruses for jarring electro, acid house, and industrial grind while delivering some of his most lewd and heart-crushing tales yet. This is willful provocation that Ice Cube, Madonna, and Trent Reznor could all be proud of. Some of the record has him tackling the same issues he's been rappingFor Kanye, there's purpose in repulsion. And on Yeezus, he trades out smooth soul and anthemic choruses for jarring electro, acid house, and industrial grind while delivering some of his most lewd and heart-crushing tales yet. This is willful provocation that Ice Cube, Madonna, and Trent Reznor could all be proud of. Some of the record has him tackling the same issues he's been rapping about since The College Dropout, albeit with a fire-eyed stare. On his debut's "Family Business", he poignantly lamented a jailed cousin's absence at the Thanksgiving dinner table in a manner "so sweet, like a photo of your granny's picture." On Yeezus, he's still addressing the plight of incarcerated black men, but now he's incensed. With "New Slaves", he confronts us with vulgar stereotypes while exposing the prison-industrial complex for the deeply systemic racist sham that it is. Expand
  96. Jun 18, 2013
    Another masterpiece by Ye. It will absolutely take a few listens for this to settle in for most listeners (myself included), but that just reflects the fact that Kanye has pushed the boundaries of hip hop-- and pop music-- yet again. Loud, abrasive, progressive, and entertaining as hell. Contradictions abound, but you already knew this was a Kanye album.
  97. Jun 18, 2013
    Wow lost for words Amazing from start to finish & I wasn't even a fan of him but I have to give respect where is due & now he made me a fan Thank you Yeezus you just made me a believer Bound 2 was crazy from the Uh Uh honey & send it up with that grimey beat was crazy & the Jamaican dude killed it
  98. Jun 18, 2013
    Was it going to be hard living up to the hype left in "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy's" trails? Yes. Does "Yeezus" do it? Yes. But will fans feel the same? Not sure. "Yeezus" is a polarizing album that ditches a lot of the soul of previous efforts like "College Dropout" and the sheer scale and bravura of "Twisted Fantasy" and replaces it with a haunting, dark electro-infused vision ofWas it going to be hard living up to the hype left in "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy's" trails? Yes. Does "Yeezus" do it? Yes. But will fans feel the same? Not sure. "Yeezus" is a polarizing album that ditches a lot of the soul of previous efforts like "College Dropout" and the sheer scale and bravura of "Twisted Fantasy" and replaces it with a haunting, dark electro-infused vision of Hell. While Kanye's lyricism does, at times, leave a bit to be desired, the production is awe-inducing; a sign of an album that's years, if not decades, ahead of its time. Expand
  99. Jun 18, 2013
    As with all Kanye West's albums the production is on point. The beats range from hardcore electro such as the track "onsite" to hour soulful hip hop sounds found on "bound 2." The album is influenced by many different genres and thats a good thing. Kanye's lyricism isn't the what it used to be on his former albums. That being said i think his minimalist approach used for the lyrics reallyAs with all Kanye West's albums the production is on point. The beats range from hardcore electro such as the track "onsite" to hour soulful hip hop sounds found on "bound 2." The album is influenced by many different genres and thats a good thing. Kanye's lyricism isn't the what it used to be on his former albums. That being said i think his minimalist approach used for the lyrics really works and flows with the beats. All in all a great project. Expand
  100. Jun 18, 2013
    Yeezus is polarizing & innovative. From the rock infuences in "Black Skinhead" to the chilling combination of Billie Holiday's rendition of "Strage Fruit" & TNGHT's trap banger "R U Ready" Kanye West continues to push boundaries & pave his own path as one of Hip-Hop's most memorable artists.

1. Dec 10, 2013
    His concerns are serious--consumerism, race, fame, relationships--but he rarely addresses them with the craft or focus they deserve. [Sep 2013, p.66]
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    Contradiction incarnate, Yeezus is Kanye's most Kanyeish LP yet. [Sep 2013, p.103]
  3. Aug 13, 2013
    Nasty, brutish, short, and wholly compelling, Yeezus begs only one question: where next? [Sep 2013, p.89]