Yeezus - Kanye West
7.6

Review this album

1. Jul 15, 2014
    Is this album Yeezy’s best? Not quite. But is it unlike anything he has ever produced? Definitely. It’s eccentric, unnatural, and about as far away from the Kanye we all know and sometimes love, but Kanye proclaims himself as the Jesus of the game today, and if he keeps diving into new frontiers, then that shouldn’t change.
  2. Jul 15, 2014
    Yeezus sees Kanye West push himself like never before and he once again brings something new to the hip-hop party. The man is hard to like as a person but there is no doubt that he is an exceptional talent. He could have easily recycled what he's been doing for the last decade, released it and sold shedloads but instead he's launched a sonic attack on the music world. Musically, Yeezus is astonishing with West bringing all of his producer skills and musical talent to produce something truly creative. Unfortunately and perhaps surprisingly, the album is let down by West's lyrics, an area in which he often excels. Yeezus doesn't seem to have anything new to say and outside of "New Slaves", West could be freestyling about anything and too often the material tries to shock but ends up just being plain distasteful. Expand
  3. Jul 11, 2014
    Got some real great Material this album, different and very interesting. Besides the minimalistic and ridiculous Album Cover which is still kinda great but also **** up
  4. Jul 3, 2014
    I love industrial noise rap, but Kanye didn't get it right here. Easily his worst album. From lazy wordplay to lackluster production to an overall lack of inspiration in the album, it's weak. There are a few great tracks, namely Black Skinhead, New Slaves, and Blood on the Leaves, but even those aren't up to par for Kanye.
    It also does seem to be a borderline shameless ripoff of what
    Death Grips is doing, so there's that too. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2014
    Am I late to the Yeezus party? It's been almost a month since the release of Yeezus, but I feel I need to get my opinion out there. On my first listen of Yeezus, I hated every minute of it, except a few tracks. I despised the autotune on Blood on the Leaves and Guilt Trip, and some of the subject matter felt like he wrote it in 2 minutes, and said it, I'm Kanye, people gon' buy my sh** anyway.' Then I listened again, and again, and again. I don't know how 'Ye does it, but Yeezus has become my fourth favorite 'Ye album (CD, LR, MBDTF). My ears still hurt listening to the ridiculous gong show that is 'I Am A God' (HURRY UP WITH MY D*MN CROISSANT), but I sincerely enjoy a large percentage of every track on this album.

Favorite Songs: Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Guilt Trip, Bound 2
    Least Favorite Songs: On Sight, I Am A God

Edit 2014: Kanye is a genius. all praise Yeezus.

Favourite Tracks: Most of 'em
    Least Favourite Track: On Sight

Overall grade: 95-96/100
  6. Jun 12, 2014
    This is worst album. First I would like to say that there really isn't any thought provoking lyrics at all in his album, which is hilarious in the fact that he tried to sell it as his deep meaningful anti establishment piece while only really saying "YOU DON'T OWN ME" and "I'M A GOD" over and over again. I would say that any of his previous albums, literally any of them had more time and thought in their words.

Not trying to say that Kanye never sang about how cool he is, but the rapid amount of self praise starts sounding like nothing but denial and also most of his previous albums at the very least had a moment where he praised someone else for helping him out. College Dropout had "Jesus Walks", Late Resignation had "Mama", the closest thing we have here is "Bound 2", which doesn't succeed to lowering himself a bit and instead takes a song about how he is so in love and makes it more about him having sex a lot. Kayne, please stop, you've made good songs about girls you would in love with before.

The good side of this album, the same thing that just makes me frustrated at Kanye's subpar lyrics is the wonderful and I mean amazing instrumental. I bought the album just for the background music and listen to it for the same reason. I hope to hell there is some good mix tapes using this stuff cause then I can replace Kanye's words with those that have a bit more meaning.

Kanye, please try a bit harder next time.
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    Worst kanye album ever. Worst hip hop album for the last decade. In my opinion if 2pac, biggie, eazy e, big pun, big l and eazy e heard this, they would be turning in there grave if they heard this music. There nothing wrong in experimenting in music and being creative but this is ridiculous. Weird instrumental and ignorant and incoherent lyrics. Plus theres only 10 songs on the album. It seems like rappers a selling out to get rich and get famous. Sadly I was a big kanye fan until I heard this album. Expand
  8. May 14, 2014
    wow where do i start.. i felt like kanye rushed this album the lyrics are meaning less on most tracks he's going over the same **** song after song the only song that is decent on this thing is bound 2, and new slaves which has some good verses in it while all the other songs felt dry and the production has a (death grips) feel to it. all up this album isn't that bad some songs are catchy but with a second listen you can't take him seriously dont waste your money on this thing if anything pirate it.. I'm giving it a 4/10 thanks if you read this :) Expand
  9. May 3, 2014
    "He'll give us what we need / It may not be what we want"

This about sums it up nicely. Kanye knows what I want, better than I do. I never thought this album would sound like this. But I really like it.
    And that's because Kanye always keeps it fresh. He always tries to do something new, which is probably also why his career is so consistently good. He doesn't try to re-do or top what
    he did in the past.

On his everlasting quest to do something fresh and bring something new to the mainstream music-world he decided it would be time to make some industrial-hip-hop. And please don't think I'm saying Yeezus is the first album of this sound, but seriously: Kanye is a major player. You'd expect something like this from a niche group (Death Grips), not a music star.
    Nonetheless Kanye does it. And he does it good. And the acid-y sound of On Sight that greets you on the first listen to the album hits you in the face. In a good way.

It may not be Kanye's strongest Album in the lyrical term, but it still features some nice commentary.

The production is on another level though. Minimalistic, experimental, hard-hitting - great.
  10. Apr 30, 2014
    "I just talked to Jeezus, he said, "WHAT UP YEEZUS??!" I said, **** im chillin, tryna stack these millions" (Car crash sonic disaster blares in the background)
    I AM A GOD, I LIKE MASSAGE'S, KIM OPEN MY DAMN GARAGE, I LIKE RESTAURANTS, I AM A GOD!

This is what critics like these days huh. Smh.
  11. Apr 8, 2014
    Are you a believer of Yeezianity???? Well you should be. Yeezus is undoubtedly his most abrasive album to date. He is as aggressive and egoistical as ever before on this project. When you're a GOD you make the rules hence giving a single F***k on his lazy braggadocios lyrics used where it could be seen a major flaw but when its as organic as 'Ye makes it out to be we cannot be disappointed. For every stan out there who loved My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, it could turn out to be a surprise or a disaster for some however it thrives on excitement. He made it clear he's here to be the next Steve Jobs, Andy Warhol e.t.c. but seriously with a discography as compelling to most current artists today giving him the benefit of the doubt is an understatement. Daft Punk did brilliantly on constructing the acid-house influenced track "On Sight" and its Punk influenced "Black skinhead". I cannot say its his best album to date due to its craft work as times sounds underwhelming however Kanye West has once again set his ego bar at an all time high, as for things goes its simply a breath of fresh air. 9/10 Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2014
    Brilliance mixed with Ignorance with a side of Egotistical-ness, if thats even a word. But overall for what it is being an experimental album, I really feel like Kanye delivered just in a different way then he did with MBDTF, Dropout, and LR
  13. Mar 12, 2014
    The album is an angry, muddled, ignorant, slapped-together heap of vulgar expression that works better than anyone else in music could've done. It's an album so angrily sure of itself it'll have you convinced that a man worth 100 million dollars faces oppression comparable to that of a slave.
  14. Mar 3, 2014
    Painful to listen to. It's been out for a while but i still struggle to see why it even exists. I've never been a big fan of Kanye West and this album does nothing that even makes me consider caring about what he does. Everything about this album, from the promotion to the production was awful. Horrible album. One okay song but that's about it.
  15. Feb 23, 2014
    Well there are 2 kind of people in the matter of Yeezus .... the sane and insane people and of course people who think Yeezus is a masterpiece are sane ...... This album is beyond description and until now it's the best album in the new millennium!
  16. Feb 18, 2014
    This is a very strange, if not, odd album. 'Bound 2' was a good ending to the album, but that was the only song that I could enjoy. The rest were...just bad (giving 'Black Skinhead' a narrow exception).
  17. Feb 9, 2014
    Honestly, this album works better as an instrumental. There are some songs that DP worked on, which pisses me off since R.A.M. was poorly executed and the instrumentals are amazing here. Otherwise, this album is just rubbish put together that ends up just being all over the place. No structure, just an inflated ego. I don't care for it.
  18. Feb 5, 2014
    Yeezus is, in my opinion, best album of 2013. The reason people give it any bad reviews is because they haven't given Yeezus enough time to sink in. It's incredibly unique and creative, to the point where it takes several listens to get used to. In the past, Kanye hasn't failed to produce some of the most artistic, chart-topping, best-selling albums, and to this day, still hasn't. Once you hear the album you're left breathless. If you haven't heard it yet, or don't like it, give it a few listens and it'll grow on you. Expand
  19. Feb 3, 2014
    Put simply if you don't like this album, you're a hater. The production is truly legendary, and anyone who says the album doesn't have meaning or is narcissistic didn't listen well. Yeezus is a true work of art and will go down as a revolutionary album in the increasingly electronic music world.
  20. Feb 1, 2014
    What is this? No seriously, what is this? I love the production, and I love four or five tracks. But this album was so confused. Following in the footsteps of 808s and Heartbreaks, Kanye hit one into left field and this time, I could vibe with it, but I think either Kanye was trying too hard to be meaningful and new, or this album is too experimental for me. I can appreciate it for what it is but tracks like I Am a God and Hold My Liquor just aren't for me. The best tracks were, Black Skinhead which was awesome, and Bound 2 which seemed like it was a leftover from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Expand
  21. Jan 29, 2014
    It's hard to call Yeezus Kanye's most inventive work, because literally every album he has released was extremely creative in its own time. What I can say is that Yeezus is the only rap album this year that I've heard where it genuinely caught me off-guard. There were multiple moments throughout the album where I said out loud "he can't do that... you can't do that, right?" But he did it. He would switch from one sample to the next, different tempo, no supporting beat, and then he would jump right back in to his flow with a new beat and sample behind himself.
    One of Kanye's trademarks is his repetitious use of sampling. Each song is incredibly unique, from the primal, angry satire of Kanye backed with a huge drumline and Tarzan-ish screaming in Black Skinhead, to the industrial, heavily distorted opener On Sight. Bound 2 and Hold My Liquor were standout tracks for originality, although Blood on the Leaves and New Slaves were more recognized and also very inventive in their own right.
    Nothing is in this album that doesn't belong in there, and that's a rare thing to say in the age of digital music recording. He went through ridiculous amounts of modifying, mixing, re-writing, and post-production over the course of this album, ultimately ending with the hiring of Rick Rubin the "reducer" less than three weeks before the album was due, to help over-see the final, drastic changes to the album.
    This album gets a 9.5, but I am going to round down to a 9 because there were some lyrical moments that were distastefully sexual and not even in a clever way. If that album were without the track I'm In It, I might round up to a 10. Still, Kanye's style and artisanship are still leagues ahead of most rappers in the game today, and this album deserves a listen from anyone who claims to be tired of the "same old same old."
  22. Jan 17, 2014
    I love the album. Its dark, grimy, and most of all creative. I also understand its probably not for everyone, but at least its elicits a response unlike most music that comes out today. Tracks no one can deny include Blood On The Leaves, New Slaves, and Bound 2. Tracks people waver on include On Sight, Hold My Liquor, Im a God. The only track I don't really "get" is On Sight, I like or love every other track. Expand
  23. Jan 12, 2014
    A solid, innovative album, but a little bit offensive. This sounds like an M.I.A. album. My favs are Blood on the leaves, Black Skinhead & Bound 2 (BBB lol).
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    The difference between Yeezus and other albums released in 2013 was how different it sounded and it was done successfully. This is definitely the music of the future.
  25. Jan 6, 2014
    Kanye's most recent album is by far his most extreme. Its angry, violent, dark yet brilliant. Amazing production is he icing on the cake. Best album of the year.
  26. Jan 5, 2014
    I don't recall listening to a worst album than this one. It is unbelievable how most critics can't tell a rubbish record from revolutionary one. So disappointing. There is no highlight in this album. The lyrics are terrible, so is the production and the music in general. I cannot believe RS ranked it on the second position of 2013's best albums. This magazine and these new audiences are destroying what once we knew as great, enjoyable music. Expand
  27. Jan 5, 2014
    If I had it my way, Kanye West would not be allowed to talk in public. Ever. When it comes to his albums I would say the reverse. Kanye typically has a good ear and great taste in big production rap albums that churn out anthems and original content alike. On Yeezus, Kanye is starting to push the good and bad elements of his music more radically. The results end up being much more raw and chaotic. On tracks like "Black Skinhead", "I Am A God", and "Send It Up", there's enough hook and form to keep the music and rhymes on track amidst some wobbly production and pitchy sound effects. But with cuts like "On Sight" and "Bound 2" the chaos and switheroos are too much and make it tough to endure a listen for more than a moment. "Bound 2" is especially annoying perhaps one of Kanye's worst to date, which is unfortunate given that the chorus is actually fine. It's the transitions marked with the "uh huh honey" that make my ears bleed a bit. By the time I got through the record I realized that Kanye's massive and annoying ego is beginning to affect his work. That is a travesty, because Kanye has some killer tracks and albums leading up to Yeezus an album that I'd rather only occasionally pick from on Spotify rather than spend even .99 on a track to contribute toward. Expand
  28. Jan 1, 2014
    The long awaited album was for the most part to me a disaster. Besides the two big hits (Black Skinheads & New Slaves) & the songs that reminded me of old Kanye (Blood On The Leaves, Bound 2) This album was just awful. Save yourself the money and do not pick this one up, even if you are a die hard Kanye fan.
  29. Dec 28, 2013
    Honestly, I wanted so badly to hate this album, I could hardly stand it. With Kanye West's massive ego brought out to its fullest on several aspects of this album (really, Kanye, "I Am God (feat. God)?") I wanted to hate it even more after I listened to it, but the music is just too epic and just plain good to hate. Tracks like "Black Skinhead", "Bound 2", "New Slaves", and "Blood On the Leaves" are smart, if not somewhat dark and disturbing at points, and melodically perfect. The only reasons I could not give this album the ten that a majority of the album's tracks deserve are 1) the massive amounts of self-glorification in multiple songs (as mentioned before, he literally calls himself God in one of the songs, and on several others basically says that his greatness means he do whatever he wants) and 2) track 6 "I'm In It" (an awful and shallow song that is unforgivable on an album that is otherwise amazing). One warning though: if you are offended by violent and profanity ridden lyrics, avoid this album like the plague. Just trust me on that one. Expand
  30. Dec 27, 2013
    Kanye West has yet again stepped outside of the box and he's delivered another innovative piece of work burning with purpose. That being said, his lyrics have never been so lifeless. Case and point: "hurry up with my damn croissants!", or "eating asian all I needed was sweet and sour sauce". There's no underlying meaning to bars like this, as much as I'd like there to be. The positives do outweigh the negatives though, as Kanye is just being Kanye and gives us yet another piece of art. Sounds like this have never made it to the mainstream, albums have never sold 300,000+ first week without promotion, albums like this have never hit such a broad audience, and no artist has ever had the guts to accomplish any of those goals. At this point, we can't even pat Kanye on the back anymore. This is just what we've come to expect. Expand
  31. Dec 26, 2013
    So after reading all about this critical darling making the number one album of the year in various respected publications, I finally listened to Kanye's Yeezus album.

Admittedly, synthetic is not my usual stomping ground, however I did find his music what I would consider somewhere within the realm of compelling, although not quite genius. I could delve into my praises more
    specifically, but I'm not. In fact, my praises are going to come to an abrupt, deliberately dismissive stop right now.

This dude's lyrical message is trash in the most absolute sense. I find it so detestable, the only way I'd ever purchase this album would be if this crybaby "genius" invented a machine to go back in time to his studio, and re-used these beats to make cover versions of twinkle twinkle little star and mary had a little lamb. I'm not going to waste my money or time to hear some self righteous, ego maniacal, man-infant-supremacist perform a racist rant. Quite frankly, it's defamatory to me as a human being.

The universal acclaim for this album among indie music critics has revealed a highly accomplished field of predominantly white male jackasses who's primary skill in life seems to be outsmarting themselves. All you awesome artsy fartsy indie hipsters in love with this pile of excrement have revealed so much I wish I never knew about your socially depraved mindset. The desperation to be accepted by black people must be incredibly overwhelming to appropriate such wretchedness. I'd ask God to have mercy on your nerdy little beta male souls but why bother? Most of you are atheists anyway.

Your Baby "Yeezus" belongs in a barbed wire playpen, with a digital rattle so it can best express his musical genius. Gently toss in a bottle of baby formula hopefully spiked with arsenic for this rat to suckle on, and I think we may have finally taken an appropriate step toward cleaning house in the music world. To see this dude's career riding first class on a one horse open sleigh to hell would be the best Christmas present the world could ask for. I'm flushing this God-Turd like a half eaten, partially decomposed dead feeder goldfish.

Turn out the lights on this one. This album is a shameful waste of time for any human being with a half-shred of dignity.

Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night.
  32. Dec 24, 2013
    chaotic and dying, unlike anything ever done by him, from the beats to the lyrics all remente something new and shows the way the future of music. Kanye rose on the musical term with this album
  33. Dec 22, 2013
    This is worth listening to... The creativity of his production along with his egotistical rhymes makes Yeezus an ultimate classic even though it's not in West's top 3 albums...
  34. Dec 13, 2013
    Great instant classic album......Onsite to New Slaves is the best album stretch of the last few years in hip hop. I'm not sure if anyone has done what Ye is is doing on the mainstream level as far as Hip Hop goes. He is definitely taking chances on the album and executes it perfectly. Sonically the best produce album I've heard this year. Jay-Z can learn a thing or two from Kanye cause MCHG was terrible. Expand
  35. Dec 12, 2013
    If 808 and Heartbreaks2.0 with no soul.... Daft Punk production and Bound 2 are the only things 2 worth writing home about. No lyrical depth. No story. No connection between the music. The edits and song order makes little to no sense. It sounds like listening to a man self gratify for 40 minutes. If he is a voice of a generation then you must have a heavy investment in plastic culture with no substance or depth only concerned with the surface with things. You helped create the megalomaniac by reinforcing that he is an icon or a god (Kanye to Yeezy to Yeezus), note the lowercase g because true icons do no tell you they are an icon. I will not let Yeezus kill your discography you still produced four tracks on the Blueprint and My Twisted Dark Fantasy will be your Thriller in a few generations. Expand
  36. Dec 11, 2013
    I admit Yeezus can be a bit hard to listen to at first; the beats are very ‘in your face!’ and Kanye’s lyrics can be a bit off-putting, I cant tell you how many times the man mentions his ‘black penis’. But then again that’s what I always liked about him, the guts to do whatever he wants, a lot of artists are afraid to take that far. It may not sound like it now but this what our generation needs. Expand
  37. Dec 10, 2013
    Kanye West shows once again, through Yeezus, that he is transcendent of most musical norms. It seems anymore as if Kanye West could release an album of nothing but talking about philosophy and himself, with absolutely no music, and we would see it as the next great thing in music. But it is so, because with every album Kanye is pushing what we as a society thought were his limits, to the point where many think the man is limitless. The obvious sell for this album is its originality, but it is original because it blends old Kanye with newer Kanye, with a fusion of something we haven't seen from him before. While not his best work, it certainly ranks near the top, clumped in a group with The College Dropout and Late Registration, just not quite as good as My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. As we take in Yeezus for what it is, we also are steadily preparing for Kanye's next album, which figures to be another step into musical history. Best album of 2013. Expand
  38. Dec 5, 2013
    People will understand and appreciate this album in time. It's Kanye's Kid A.

Initially, I only thought the album was ok. If I wrote this review right away, I might have given it a heart sinking 5 (I'm a massive Ye stan).

But as time went on, I started to enjoy it more and more. Now I listen to it almost every day. It just caught me off guard because it didn't hit off with me right
    away like all of his other solo efforts. Expand
  39. Dec 1, 2013
    Yeezus is a great album that is helping rap evolve. Kanye finds a new way to push hip hop into a new boundary. Soon other hip-hop acts might join Kanye in having EDM production on their albums. Yeezus is just the start of the new boundary that Kanye created.
  40. Nov 29, 2013
    Brilliant at first I wasnt so sure about the album after the first listen because it is hard to listen to but there's no such thing of listening there is only re-listening so after I listened again I loved it
  41. Nov 28, 2013
    To the ego of Kanye West, controversy is a virtue. Continually, pushing the boundaries of Hip-Hop as 'ranted' in his Zane Lowe interview/harangue 'Rap the new Rock 'n' Roll'.
    He teases any listener with statements 'I am a God' perhaps warranting an extensive reply of unconventional attention. Kanye does not make music for the fans of Radio Hip-Hop nor for the common easy going listener.
    And melodically, the album plays on the notions of dichotomy, from uncomfortable screechy synths to truly harmonious echoes of beauty. He is continually subverting a society in which typical every day norms are replaced by the 'Black Skinhead'. This prevalent undertone is unfortunately disguised by Kanye's array of misogynistic and perhaps unattractive verse.
    However, this album is alone, remarkably Kanye is attempting to catalyze a progression in music, 'again'. The original controversial reception of 80s & Heartbreaks has now morphed into an appreciation for what we hear every day. In this album Kanye West once again stamps on the fence surrounding our microcosm of normal music and he takes full credit for this. He is the square peg in a round hole.
  42. Nov 25, 2013
    This album was not Kaye's best work but it is still worth more than a zero or even a five. I have been a fan of Kanye from the College Drop Out days and this album is hardly reminiscent of those days but still not a complete tragedy. Some of the lyrics need some work but the lyrics in "New Slave" are almost praise worthy in my opinion. the album is a solid 7.5 in my opinion but I would love to see the old Kanye...or even the MTDBF Kanye. Expand
  43. Nov 16, 2013
    Yeezus christ this album is dreadful. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past his peak
  44. Nov 15, 2013
    While most people won't like the experimental tones of Kanye's album, the few people that do decide to listen to it fully will absolutely fall in love with it. All of the tones sound rough on the first listen, but with every replay, the beats get the better and the lyrics get deeper. This is nothing compared to the older albums like The College Dropout and Late Registration, but it's the difference that makes the difference. Expand
  45. Nov 11, 2013
    The transformation Kanye West has taken throughout his hip-hop career has all led to this 40 minute, sprawling descent into industry hell. Kanye sounds at his most angered, most torn down by the entertainment industry and previous love affairs, more so than on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The production ranges from grimy electro, to minimalists tribal drums, and fantastic samples. Kanye's lyrics are his most deranged on Yeezus, rhymes upon rhymes about how he feels as if he is a slave in in the entertainment industry and all the scum he encounters throughout his day to day life. Not to mention his view on previous relationships, something he's been singing about since 808's & Heartbreaks. If there's one complaint to be had about this record, it's that it loses replay value if you've listened to it at least 5 times, which is true for any album really, but more so if comparing it to other Kanye West records.

All In All, Yeezus is about a black man on the brink of insanity, pushing through day to day demons that probably will never escape him, and also a fantastic, dark voyage of hip-hop music. A-
  46. Nov 11, 2013
    "Yeezus" is lyrically lazy, but Kanye West isn't just a rapper, but also a producer, and the strengths of this album come with production. The beats are huge, game changers, and most rappers wouldn't think to rap over them. "Yeezus" is Kanye's "I don't give a album, half assing some of his raps, rapping about bold and controversial topics, and converting to more of a minimalists style. On this album he is no longer chasing the radio. From a "hip hop" point of view, this album is a mere bust, but the final product is the most entertaining 40 minutes of any first listen I have ever heard, and it just about creates its own genre. Expand
  47. Nov 6, 2013
    This sounds like a M.I.A. album with some hardcore rap verses on it. A very innovative album by a very innovative artist. I love it. The best tracks are Black Skinhead, Blood on the leaves, On Sight, New Slaves & Bound 2.
  48. Nov 5, 2013
    [7.9] Although Kanye may have intended to land himself among the hipsterisms of rap, what he makes is a thoroughly enjoyable, albeit slightly too uniform hard rap album. He certainly doesn't lose his alternative appeal, and while his lyrics might not be as sharp as an artist like Kendrick Lamar, his beats are solid, and his brute swagger is stronger than ever, which is really all that matters in a Kanye album. Expand
  49. Nov 2, 2013
    If Paper Street made music instead of soap, Yeezus would be the eruptions coming from that lonely house. The most interesting part about this album that separates itself from the rest of hip-hop (and Kanye's other work) is how Mr. West the god integrates all types of art into music. Architecture, technology, politics, and fashion all play it's role. Of course, he did not do this himself. Kanye West & Friends would be a more appropriate artist name as he is joined by the world famous Daft Punk for some of the big tracks on the album such as 'I Am a God' and 'Black Skinhead'. He has his whole lineup of writers and producers he uses for creative ideas. Overall, this album came out five years too early to be widely appreciated, but clearly shows Kanye is not content as being the media and major corporations pet on a leash. With that anger behind him, nothing can stop him from creating this unforgettable piece of work. Expand
  50. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Kanye is years ahead of the rap game. Yeezus is not an easy listening album, but it's so well produced and full of raw emotion. From the attention grabbing On Sight with it's distorted, off beat instrumental, to the soul kissed Bound 2, Yeezus is simply a masterpiece. Kanye has exceeded all expectations, which were already high. Expand
  51. Oct 31, 2013
    I have been a casual fan of Kanye's music since 'Diamonds', but fell in love with Yeezus on the first listen, and have only grown to appreciate it more and more as I've listened more and more. I believe that Kanye is one of the few mainstream artists that is committed to constantly challenging himself and evolving...Yeezus is brutal yet subtle and caring, easy to listen or hum along to, yet challenging and in some instances thought provoking, consistent in its story telling, yet contradictory and I unreservedly recommend it. Expand
  52. Oct 24, 2013
    'Yeezus', the follow-up to West's critically acclaimed 2010 solo record 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' and his 2011 and 2012 collaboration albums 'Watch the Throne' and 'Cruel Summer'; is minamalist, dark, and highly experimental. Album highlights "Black Skinhead", "On Sight", and "New Slaves" showcase the galloping manifesto sound that West was aiming to create. Similar to many of West's previous records, 'Yeezus' contains several genius samples; however 'Yeezus' is much less mainstream than his previous efforts; shown by the album's lack of singles (with the exception of "Black Skinhead" and "Bound 2", which were both released after the album dropped).

Although the album is arguably the best hip hop record of the year, I can't help but be slightly irritated by West's evident which is clearly displayed by the track "I Am A God" and his decision to barely promote the record, which makes it seem like West was just trying to prove that he could have an album go to #1 without significant promotion. Of course, 'Yeezus' did go to number 1, and its not like West has ever really been a wholesome or down-to-earth dude, but West's narcissistic personality comes off a little too strong on 'Yeezus'. Despite this, the album is still exquisite.
  53. Oct 23, 2013
    On the walls of various chosen buildings and the SNL stage, the words "NOT FOR SALE" lit up the darkness. On the stage West's silhouette brought out the birth of a new era and his own evolution, on the building West's fiery return projects itself upon the hopeful and excited fans. The derivative hip hop beats don't appear here, he's not selling himself. He's simply letting go, and forcing us to accept it with rocky, crude and reluctant understanding. What Kanye serves is impetuous, gut wrenching and takes you by surprise. But then again that's hip hop isn't it? By pushing the envelope he leaves a big crash in the ocean of music, West rises in ranks and gives us a breathtaking journey that's only just beginning. Reluctantly, I can't help but to begin and relive again and again. Soak in the repercussions, for just as the projection shut off as "New Slaves" ended on the W Hotel late at night in LA, we and the world had just gotten a glimpse of Kanye's artistic statement. What's next for Kanye West? Considering the birth of North West, nothing for a while now. Still, the anticipation for what's next is at an all time high and the stage has been set. Let's begin. Expand
  54. Oct 16, 2013
    This is what you get when you mix very clever writing with expert sampling and producing. it has some really emotional moments, like the brilliant breakdown at the end of new slaves and the first verse of blood on the leaves to the awesome pumping beats on black skinhead to the hypnotic track guilt track. favorites: black skinhead, im a god, new slaves, blood on the leaves, im in it.
  55. Oct 15, 2013
    Yeezus. You either love it or you hate it. I love it. Blood on the leaves is permanently stuck in my brain; the last minute and a half of that song... Amazing work Mr. Kanye West.
  56. Oct 15, 2013
    Another great album by Kanye. Sadly, the lyrics don't live up to the music on this album. They are quite forgettable and not well thought out. Musically is a new direction for Kanye. The sound is very reminiscent of Death Grips (industrial/glitchy hip hop) however, he is able to deliver is own take on this style.
  57. Oct 15, 2013
    Yet another example as to how West is the absolute epitome of talentless douchebag...but thankfully, the world smartened up and also made this album a commercial failure. The man needs to give up...he has yet to record anything worthwhile...how critics continue to misdirect praise to this joke of an "artist" is beyond me. The man is all ego, ZERO substance. This album is, like all his albums, horrifyingly terrible. Expand
  58. Aoi
    Oct 12, 2013
    Great production. Terrible lyrics. Poor delivery. It sounds rushed, why ruin a potential classic with just a poor performance? I really think ye's passion for music has gone. Hope his next solo is a classic.
  59. Oct 10, 2013
    Self-Labeled "genius" does not live up to his self earned title. With the overuse of samples, outdated industrial beats that I've heard many times before, and terrible lyrics with no thought or emotion. Kanye Wests ego doesn't affect his music, but his talent does.
  60. Oct 9, 2013
    A slick, different kind of album. I suppose it is typical of Kanye to create something a little unexpected (yes, irony), but still have little ties to his previous work. I like the beats more than the lyrics on the whole of the album but you cannot deny that Kanye is great, an artist (and not just your typical rapper), at what he does and he is sure to surprise us in the follow up to Yeezus.
  61. Oct 2, 2013
    Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano. Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano. Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano. Simplesmente genial! Melhor álbum do ano.
  62. Oct 1, 2013
    I'll admit that I've only recently gotten into this guy's work around the time this album came out & I was pretty much blown away. However there seems to be an inverse pattern of Kanye's production getting better & more experimental while the lyrical content gets increasingly worse. And with Yeezus that pattern continues.

Admittedly about 90% of the good thing I have to say are in the
    production & instrumentation. If you're reading this, chances are you've already heard about the bizarre change in direction here to something less accessible & more raw, and that'd be a great way of describing it in a nutshell. It's dark, minimalist, straightforward & aggressive in the best ways possible. The lush, drawn-out & practically orchestrated sound of MBDTF was great to hear but this is an extremely rewarding change of pace. That's not to say this album is without its subtle catchiness, since even in his earliest albums Kanye's had a talent for creating great hooks, not just in some pop chorus but in the instrumentals too. The synths might be buzzing & droning but there's still a keen sense of melody in how they're arranged that makes them stick out in a unique way. Same can be said for the samples, which are generally well-incorporated. The 2 tracks that stand out musically for me the most though are lead single “Black Skinhead” & closing track “Bound 2”. The former is just awesome, combining pulsating tribal drum beats, primal screams in the background & quiet synths in the chorus that builds expertly with the drums back into the verse. The latter is my, and what I imagine a lot of people's, favorite song on this album. This is mainly due to the soul sample-looping back-to-basics approach that was all over Kanye's first few albums, aka the “college trilogy”, helped by the comparatively more genuine lyrics. There's also “New Slaves”, probably the strongest track lyrically, which gives some insightful jabs at the materialism that brainwashes the upper class, as well as overly intrusive “journalists” that constantly hassle him & other celebrities for no good reason.

However, no matter how great this album may be musically & occasionally lyrically, those lyrical moments are few & far between. For the most part in this department, Yeezus is obnoxious, egomaniacal, hypocritical & at times outright cringeworthy. I think the main problem isn't so much that he's not self-aware about the public's perception about him, but for that he's not self-aware about how poorly he expresses his self-awareness about the public's perception about him. He's so hot-headed & over-the-top about the topic that it can only add to his already bad media persona. Say what you want about the braggadocios tracks on MBDTF or the 2011 Jay-Z collab album Watch the Throne, but at least there he sounded like he was having some level of fun with it in a way that was at times pretty enjoyable in its ridiculousness. But here the way he brushes off detractors & brags about how much sex he has is just forced & uncomfortable. And sometimes this can ruin an otherwise good track, particularly “I'm in It”, which pairs a nice slow groove & a soulful chorus from Bon Iver's Justin Vernon with poetry like “Eatin' Asian all I need is sweet & sour sauce”. And even one of my favorites “Black Skinhead” has its bad lyrical traits, but in a different way. The main thing is that in a song where he's talking about racially inequality & stereotypes, he acts angry and irrational, brags about his possessions & says lines like “300 where the Trojans”. There's a clever line here & there but I find it hard to get past that. Surprisingly one of the more positively notable tracks is “I Am A God”, which despite its obvious pretentious delusions is more of an exaggerated declaration of confidence than anything else, and brings back the enjoyable ego-projecting of the last couple albums.

With even that big ol rant out of the way, I still can't recommend checking this album out enough. Yes, it's as a whole Kanye's weakest effort to date lyrically & very front-loaded, but it's just so interesting & engaging musically that it's worth a listen even despite its big flaws. I still like his older stuff more though.

Top 5 tracks: Bound 2, New Slaves, Black Skinhead, I Am a God, Hold My Liquor
    Score: 66/100
  63. Sep 17, 2013
    This is a messy album that I tried so hard to like. I really, really did. But I find most of the album to be rather unlistenable.

The positive 6 score is for three reasons:
    1. "Bound 2"
    2. "Black Skinhead"
    3. "New Slaves"

These are three of the greatest tracks I heard this summer. Unfortunately, Yeezus isn't a three-song EP, and the rest of the album falls flat in comparison.
  64. Sep 12, 2013
    Listening to this album kind of seems like he is demonic. Great beats but some of the lyrics is concerning. Some examples are like 'I'm A God' and 'Blood on the Leaves'.
  65. Sep 8, 2013
    Superstar Kanye West's newest album features instant hits in "Black Skinhead" among others, but the album lacks strength throughout it's entirety by attempting to use over-powerful beats and backgrounds alongside his rapping. Despite this, it is clear why he is one of the biggest stars in the world.
  66. Sep 5, 2013
    This album is Grade-A trash. The lyrics are absolutely terrible and the production is so so. This is coming from a Kanye fan btw. I love all of his other albums but this is a disgrace and the only reason people think this is good is because Kanye made it. If B.o.B or Kid Cudi had made this these same people would be trashing it.
  67. Sep 5, 2013
    Good production really dark and entertaining, a new standard of poor lyrics for Kanye. (In a french ass restaurant, hurry up with my damn croissants!).
  68. Sep 1, 2013
    I dont think it deserves as much praise that it has been given.... Love Kanye, but he could have done a lot better... i don't know if its possible to be too creative... but he found a way..... its mind blowing.. and not in the best possible way.... wow....
  69. Sep 1, 2013
    Even though it can be pretty jarring at times, the album grows on you over time with each listen. One of the most quotable albums of recent memory, with Yeezy giving us 2-3 laugh out loud per song. It sounds like a soundtrack to a Nero-esque orgy. Blood on the Leaves is absolutely beautiful, and is the stand out song. Great from start to finish, and while I wouldn't put this album above MBDTF or Late Registration, it's a great entry into Kanye's already stellar body of work. Expand
  70. Aug 31, 2013
    This album is really an album that you need to let sit. When I first played this, I didn't know what to think, their was definite disappointment but I knew I was missing something with this project. It wasn't till I had played this album, probably a good 10 times that it really all sank in. As a person that loves music, I always tell people to judge music based on what it's suppose to be NOT what you want it to be, with that being said this is not an awful project. Kanye brought "Industrial Hip-Hop" to a new limelight with this album. I want to start off by saying NOTHING Kanye did on this album, hasn't be done before and that's really the biggest misconception with this album. Artists like El-P and groups like Death Grips have all been making music like this for some time now so Kanye is not the first person to make music like this. Now that, that's cleared let me get into the album.

The production is well done for the most part. If the majority of music you listen to is strictly Hip-Hop I advise you to not let this type of production throw you off on your first or even 2nd or 3rd listen. The sounds are abstract and even weird but they work in perspective of what Kanye is attempting to do (or at least for the most part). Songs like I'm In It, Send It Up or even Blood On The Leaves which have very hard hitting bases with abstract horns and sirens, it's really a lot to soak in at first put like I said in my opening paragraph, you have to let this album sit. Now while Kanye's production did work in a lot of ways, it also failed in some ways as well. Songs like I Am God where I feel like I'm hearing this hard hitting bass with some toned down horns that really don't go together at all. Or a song like Hold My Liquor which unlike the rest of the album has a very clam and soothing beat, that's until the annoying horn that comes in every other bar in the verses. Overall I understand the direction sound wise Kanye was going with this and while some aspects of it could of been done better for the most part it's solid.

Now on to the weakest link of the whole album, the writing. Let me start off by saying while everyone praises Kanye for being an incredible writer/poet the writing on Yeezus is far from great. It's very questionable at some points especially in songs like I'm In It where he has quotable like "eating Asian all I need is sweet and sour sauce" or "Black girl sippin white whine, I put my fist in her like the civil rights sign". Bars like these are kind of tossed throughout the album and does raise awareness when I do generally believe Kanye is a good writer and is very capable of writing better than this. The lyrics don't derail the album to much but it does go to show that this album is far from perfect.

Overall, I praise Kanye for going in this direction, for bringing this type of hip hop to the mainstream level. It was a risk and I'm sure he was aware of the mixed reviews he would receive for doing so. This project was a decent attempt for going for a Industrial Hip-Hop sounding album, point being that their are artists out there that have made music like this but of much higher quality. I feel like critics pay attention to much to how the album was made rather than the music itself. On the other hand I feel like Hip-Hop listeners are so caught up in the fact that it sounds different that they don't even give it a chance. Like I said decent effort from Kanye, They're artists out there that have done this much better before, giving this a 6/10.
  71. Aug 30, 2013
    Talk about a year Kanye's had, performing at the VMA's (Video Music Awards), having a baby with an odd name (North West? Sounds like an insurance company) and even banging his head on a sign then fighting with the cameraman. Even with all that, we still have to remember that Kanye still does music, and he changes things up with his new album "Yeezus" (which sounds like Jesus sneezing) Now Yeezus has divided up people, critics obviously love, but listeners don't know whether to love it or hate it. For me I liked it. Yeezus isn't Kanye's most memorable album and no everyone will like it, but it doesn't know what it's trying to say, and I recommend it to any Kanye West fans. The opening song "On sight" sounds like something made in a garage (actually this whole album feels like it was made in a garage) but I like that Kanye changed up his style but managed to keep things fresh. The best song on this album is "Black Skinhead", which has a great beat, some amazing sounds, and an interesting take on Kanye West's view of life. Another standout includes "Blood on Leaves" which again shows everyone that West's songs have social commentary and will make you think. Some problems with this album is there's less to think about on the songs, which I blame the pacing at less than 50 minutes it's one of West's more shorter albums. Also no of the songs really stick out expect for "Black Skinhead" and "Blood on Leaves" everything else is more filler than fun. But still Kanye West still manages to impress with his latest release, as I did listen to the album on repeat a few times, and at some points, "Yeezus" is kinda brilliant. If you're a fan of Kanye West, Yeezus is definitely worth listening to. Expand
  72. Aug 28, 2013
    I can't understand where all of the positive hype about this album is coming from. I understand how original Yeezus is and all the risks 'Ye took in releasing this with no true single and such... I get it. However, that doesn't instantly forgive the abominable lyricism of this collection of songs. Kanye used to produce and write some of the most inspirational and well produced music in the hip hop genre. Now he takes a leap of faith that falls incredibly short and people are loving the fact that he jumped, not the music itself. It is definitely original and it pushes the boundaries, but none of these songs are songs that you can really listen to and enjoy.... Expand
  73. Aug 26, 2013
    Shocking, experimental, and abrasive, Yeezus may not be West's best work, yet it still features some brilliant lyrics and some memorable moments. Highlights include "On Sight," "Black Skinhead," "New Slaves," "Blood on the Leaves," and "Send it Up."
  74. Aug 23, 2013
    Yeezus is the sixth solo studio album from Chicago hip-hop artist Kanye West. He has had his fair share of up's, (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Late Registration), and down's, (808's and Heartbreak, Cruel Summer). Yeezus has to fall into the second category with the downs.

When I first saw the track listing, I thought it was a joke. There were few features and none of them looked
    good on paper. Specifically I'm talking about the Chief Keef and King L features. Why on Earth did Kanye get these artists on his album, when he can obtain any feature he wants? Now I know a lot of people will argue that it's because they originated in Chicago like Kanye. Well then why didn't he get Lupe Fiasco, Common, or even Chance the Rapper? Was it because "Touch the Sky" and "Don't Stop", which both feature Fiasco were horrible, (that was complete sarcasm). I mean Kanye has already done a song with Chief Keef, and made Keef's song way more popular than it was. Chief Keef then goes on to say that Kanye didn't help him get popular at all. So pretty much Chief Keef says screw you and you decide to work with him. Brilliant.

As I was saying the features don't add anything at all. I didn't even know that Frank Ocean was on "New Slaves". Chief Keef's feature is horrendous and full of auto-tune which sounds horrible. Kid Cudi does better than he normally does, but that isn't saying much. King Louie is one of the best features on the album, and if that isn't an indication that the features are weak, I don't know what is. Justin Vernon is alright, but he doesn't have the same presence that he did on MBDTF.

The beats are different and very electronic. I don't hate them, they are kind of enjoyable. Once again though, I prefer more soulful production that Kanye has done. That probably explains why I love the last track on this album "Bound 2". Black Skinhead's beat is fantastic and makes me want to punch a wall. All of the beats provided from Daft Punk are fantastic except for parts on "On Sight". The beat for his verses are too annoying and repetitive. The hook was pretty good though. I didn't like two beats in particular though. The beat for "Guilt Trip" just sounds very generic, and the beat on "Send It Up" gets annoying after awhile. "Guilt Trip" samples "Blocka" by Pusha T, and is a horrible song to sample. It didn't even come close to giving me the same thrill that a song like "Power" did, which sampled King Crimson.

Lyrics are just irrelevant here for the most part. Lines like "Black dick all in your spouse again", "But I gotta put my dick in her mouth", and "eating Asian p*ssy all I need was sweet and sour sauce" all sound like Lil Wayne lyrics and a line like "get this b*tch shaking like Parkinson's" sounds like a Tyler the Creator punch line used for shock value. Why Kanye steps down to this level of lyricism is beyond me. A song which I love "Blood on the Leaves" still gets complaints from me. It has auto-tune in the beginning which sounds horrible. While using auto-tune he is rapping about Molly. Okay Trinidad West. I have read that Kanye had to rush and write two songs in a day or two and it clearly shows with sloppy lyrics. I bet that the lyrics on "I Am A God" was one of those songs. "I just talked to Jesus. He said what up Yeezus." How weak is that? A song like "I'm in it" is just filled with sexual imagery. Typically I would have a problem with this, but Kanye has proven he can make a song like this with "Hell of a Life". Unfortunately, "I'm in It" just sounds like a generic rap song that will be forgotten about, if it is even remembered in the first place.

It's safe to say that I am a huge Kanye fan. He is one of my favorite hip-hop artists ever, but when he puts out a weak product I have to call him out for the weak effort. "Cruel Summer" and "Yeezus" are two of the weakest projects that Kanye has worked on. Kim Kardashian needs to stop consuming Kanye's life. Maybe Kanye should go back to dating Amber Rose, (sorry Wiz).
  75. Aug 18, 2013
    An incredibly mediocre review after releasing one of the best hip hop albums of all time. Yeezus is a poor attempt at making a noise hop, industrial hip hop, or experimental rap album, and comes up incredibly short.
  76. Aug 10, 2013
    Kanye shows so much passion in his music, you cannot help but to appreciate. And Kanye never settles for what people would enjoy. He makes music HE'd enjoy and the result is an instant classic. Yeezy is probably the biggest egomaniac in the music industry, but he sure can back it up with great production and meaningful lyrics.
  77. Aug 8, 2013
    At first glance the album seems like a shoddily put together mishmash of kanye west trade mark hyper sexuality and narcisim but as we evaluate the whole, in a deeper context it is truly a brilliant commentary on the rap industry as a whole. It is both a well executed self parody and an amaze feet of originality, defying the very conventions that would black list any lesser artist almost immediately. In summary, this album is the absolute and unabashed truth, all bow down to yezzus Expand
  78. Aug 6, 2013
    Overrated. Kanye went down a totally new path that doesn't represent his good albums such as "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" or "Late Registration". This album did have some fantastic songs such as "New Slaves" and "Bound 2" but there were some terrible songs such as "I Am A God" and "On Sight". 'Ye should return to his original flow.
  79. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's pretty damn sad... when a person cannot make it through a "musical" album. Kanye...you f*cking suck...even at naming babies...you f*cking suck. I wonder if you were on meth when you were making this album... Expand
  80. Jul 31, 2013
    This album is a masterpiece rivaled only by the best songs of each of his albums. The production is near flawless, and lyrically Kanye manages to pack depth and social commentary into some lines, humor and raunchy imagery into others. 5 years down the road from now, people may even consider this his best album.
  81. Jul 30, 2013
    Expect the unexpected. Open your mind. Free your mind of any prejudices. Be open and listen to the lyrics closely. Kanye is here to speak his mind in a very raw way. It's industrial in sound and very punchy in it's delivery. This isn't for the laid back listen. But it can be once you are used to it. It's different from his previous albums but there are familiar elements mixed in. Kanye West is still in top form here. The good far outweighs the bad. It's hardcore Kanye.....but spoken through....well....YEEZUS. Expand
  82. Jul 29, 2013
    Yeezus is a perfect example of trying out new sounds and succeeding at them. The album has futuristic, electronic vibes, great samples and overall production, and the experimentation is a breath of fresh air for the rap music genre. Not much negativity about Yeezus, it's a great 40 minute listen.
  83. Jul 27, 2013
    Yes, i'm a Kanye West fan but I had my doubts about this at first. I felt it was too derivative from Death Grips and Clipping.'s sound and that it was a bandwagoning attempt but I was half-wrong. Yes, he was attempting the sound but at the same time, he did something a bit difficult. He gave it a mainstream appeal! That's what I love about this album (or mixtape, since its short and is structured like a mixtape). It's certainly no MBDTF or even Late Registration but this is up there with them Expand
  84. Jul 26, 2013
    An album you have to listen to multiple times to really appreciate. The first few tracks aren't the strongest: send it up new slaves can blend together at times with a similar dark electronic vibe. Then the outro of new slaves hits and the album takes off from there. Hold my liquor, Im in it, and Blood on Leaves are some of the most fascinating songs Mr. West has come out with. Bound 2 is also a fun throw back. The more you listen to it, the more you like it Expand
  85. Jul 24, 2013
    Following his highly successful collaboration album with Jay-Z ('Watch the Throne'), rapper Kanye West is back with what will most likely be the most polarizing album of 2013. The original reception for this album ranged wildly from hailing it as the greatest rap album of all time, to dismissing it as the worst record Kanye has ever put out. Unfortunately, I find it hard to stray away from the latter.

The overly noisy and cacophonous production is just one of the things that hurts 'Yeezus'. On the majority of these tracks, it sounds like Kanye is just being different and loud for the sake of being different and loud, and not to reach a deeper musical meaning or theme. Sporadic outbursts of crazy randomness are all over the production of this LP, which in the end to me seem pretty damn uninspired. With the exception of a few tracks (see "Black Skinhead" and "New Slaves"), a no point is Kanye able to generate any of kind of groove rhythm, melody, or really any real musical substance whatsoever. Perhaps the highlight of the album production-wise is the closer "Bound 2", which really sounds like a bonus track from Kanye's previous solo album, 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy'.

Although I've never been a huge fan of Kanye's lyrics and flow, this album even perhaps reaches a new low. With again the exception of a few tracks, almost practically every song on 'Yeezus' is composed of cheap, egotistical, and overall pretty stupid lyricism. If after 'Watch the Throne' you thought it was impossible for Kanye to be even more eccentric, you thought wrong (see 'I Am a God' lol). 'New Slaves' is one of the few songs on this album that contains a relevant lyrics and themes.

Overall, the only reason why this album is rated as a 5/10 is thanks to the presence of a few golden tracks, that don't feature annoyingly noisy production or stupid lyrics. And don't get me started on the auto tune.

STANDOUT TRACKS:
    'New Slaves'
    'Black Skinhead'
    'Bound 2'
  86. Jul 22, 2013
    After the Picasso-art of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West reinvents itself again, with an album much more Hip-Hop and Minimal than MBDTF thet reminiscent in some ways Watch The Throne and 808s & Heartbreak. Songs like On Sight, Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves are examples of good and innovative production, that's right, the production that perhaps on this album is the most innovative of the year with Daft Punk, No.ID, 88 Keys and Kanye same in the height of the form. In conclusion, Yeezus of abstract-art is an album of pure genius that we have never heard. A classic to remember for many, many years. Expand
  87. Jul 21, 2013
    West's new album still suffers from dumbfounded lyrics and pretentious segments, but has a lot of excellent collaborators (such as Frank Ocean and Daft Punk) and simplistic but masterful beats. Most of the songs are very distinctive and show that Kanye is back in the game.
  88. Jul 21, 2013
    Kanye does it again. Yeezus is a triumph of unparalleled musical imagination, created by the ultimate music nerd who thinks nothing of genres and styles and gleefuly mashes everything he wants like a mad alchemist, creating an unholy concoction that works even though it really shouldn't. Who else would even dare to have Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and Chicago drill poster boy Chief Keef sing on the same track? Who would imagine that you could mix TNGHT and Nina Simone? Who would slap a hefty chunk of a track by a 1970s Hungarian prog rock band at the end of his own composition and then sing all over it? Only Yeezus. Expand
  89. Jul 21, 2013
    If there's one thing this proves, it's that he's learned from Watch The Throne. Kanye's joint effort with Jay-Z tried to be bigger than it was capable of at times, and while it was a solid effort, stripping it down for a more raw sound on Yeezus has paid off. This is as innovative as any rap album has ever been.
  90. Jul 18, 2013
    This album is incredible. Kanye will never top it. He's one of the biggest artists in the world and has made an album that could have been made on some indie Chicago label. In saying that, the production quality on the album is phenomenal. Kanye has managed to make a record that is unmistakably his own despite being outnumbered hugely by collaborators. I honestly cannot think of another album I've devoted more time to, and that's its defining quality.

It has to be noted that this is the record that most effectively parodies the #madrichalert culture that has produced so much appalling radio friendly hip-hop. He may or may not be slightly serious in thinking that he's a god, but he's got the greatest claim to be and he seems to be the only rapper around that doesn't care despite that. This has to be the perfect record to define everything that's good about music right now because of that.
  91. Jul 17, 2013
    If you like electronic music and rap, look no further. I happen to have grown up on Daft Punk, and though this makes me an outlier, I didn't love Kanye until 808s. Some people find this album abrasive, but I'm used to these kinds of sounds from electronic music. I really enjoy the beats. The one thing holding it back for me is that some of the lyrics are superficial, but that's Kanye a lot of the time. I wouldn't say all of the lyrics are bad though, especially in New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves. Expand
  92. Jul 15, 2013
    Kanye West is a lyrical genius. He showed it on this one. My favorite song on this whole album was "Hold My Liquor" with Cheif Keef. It's pretty bad for THAT to be the best song. "Bound 2" was just annoying, the beat was just weird with the voice in the back round. I disliked this album ALOT.
  93. Jul 14, 2013
    I was tempted to give Kanye a "1" for releasing a new album while I am supposed to be studying for the bar. But after repeated listening, I just cant do it. This album is simply freaking brilliant, might be even better than his last. As usual Kanye exhibits his brilliant sampling skills, beats and backing music are sick, use of autotune that actually doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the ear. And of course, his unparalleled flow, clever as hell rhymes sprinkled throughout, and language-invention skills (he's taken us from "safe-belt" to "pregnanated". Kanye, you are a brilliant goddamn bastard. Oh, and stay away from my wife. Expand
  94. Jul 11, 2013
    How in the universe of music does this album have a more positive score than that of J. cole's Born Sinner? This album is trash and it should not be bought by anyone who listens to Hip-Hop music. I don't have a problem if a person wants to do something different with their music just make sure it's good. This is a lyrical failure he is capable of sooooo much better but he did not put is all in this album at all. I am not a Kayne hater I loved every album that he has done before this one even 808's and heartbrakes that was actually a good album but this....This is trash do not buy and Rate J Cole's Born Sinner higher because it is a much better album than this one. Expand
  95. Jul 11, 2013
    Undoubtedly Kanye's most harsh, dark, and experimental work, Yeezus is the culmination of his egoism and productive creativity. Unfortunately, his latest album fails to lyrically live up to MBDTF.
  96. Jul 10, 2013
    It starts off with a raw electronic sound, that sonically is different to Kanye’s Work, and this sound has been created with the help of Daft Punk. I have never been a fan of rap, or Kanye West other than “Runaways” from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. So the fact that I can listen to this from beginning to end is a feat in itself, but it is still poor. I like the raw electronic sound on the beginning of the album, the industrial feel, and the good use of samples to break up and add to the songs, but the lyrics are poor. They are boring and predictable, Saying that the first two songs are better than the rest of the album until the end. “On Site” and “Blackhead” are good, I can listen to them and they don’t have any of the incessant auto-tune that features later on in the album.

“New Slaves” maybe could be the most dance floor friendly seeing as it is bass heavy, and it’s one of the few songs where the lyrics mean something, even if Kanye goes about it in a brash way, not exactly using the most sophisticated language.

From there on, the album becomes a mess, until “Bound 2″ with the seductive sample of Brenda Lee going “Uh huh Honey”, along with a bridge featuring Charlie Wilson that really breaks the song up, and I like that it came as a surprise, it was refreshing. Sure the lyrics may again be poor, “I want to you hard in the sink”, but it’s enjoyable, and for one song, I can look past the flaws.

Overall, musically the album is decent, I like it here and there, Kanye has some good ideas that he ruins with his rap and the autotune, I really have no strong likes or dislikes to this album, just disappointment with what could have been, and the score is maybe just out of kindness.
  97. Jul 8, 2013
    At first listen, you might find this album terrible because it is so different from past albums. After listening to it 3 or 4 times, you'll start to realize how unique and brilliant this album is. Out of the 10 songs, I really like 5 of them. That is a high amount for any album. The five songs I don't like as much, I can still appreciate how unique sounding they are. In a world where rappers copy each other and use the same instrument choices and drum beats in multiple songs, Kanye West is in a league of his own. No one is close to creating as unique and new sounds as he is. Give this album a few listens completely through and you'll see how good it truly is. Expand
  98. Jul 7, 2013
    His most game-changing and misunderstood album since 808's and Heartbreak. It will take the rap game at least another 10 years to catch up to this one.
  99. Jul 6, 2013
    This album is a masterpiece. I don't know why people have stated that they dislike this album, they must not know what good music is. Every song is amazing and the incorporation of rap, drill house, and dance-hall make this album better than born sinner and Magna Carta Holy Grail 10 times over.
  100. Jul 5, 2013
    "Yeezus" is one of the most innovative albums of all-time. It cannot even be classified as just "rap". Kanye West can now be considered as his own very genre. Songs like "Hold My Liquor" and "Blood On The Leaves" make you realize there's still hope for modern music yet. Not quite to the diversified level of his last solo album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", but an amazing album it's own right. Expand

1. Dec 10, 2013
    His concerns are serious--consumerism, race, fame, relationships--but he rarely addresses them with the craft or focus they deserve. [Sep 2013, p.66]
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    Contradiction incarnate, Yeezus is Kanye's most Kanyeish LP yet. [Sep 2013, p.103]
  3. Aug 13, 2013
    Nasty, brutish, short, and wholly compelling, Yeezus begs only one question: where next? [Sep 2013, p.89]