9.1

Review this album

1. Sep 7, 2010
    an incredibly beautiful album. Fight Test kicks things off strongly and the music never weakens. Yoshimi is catchy, mysterious, mesmerizing, and so much more. I find it almost impossible to compare this to, frankly, anything... The Flaming Lips arrive officially with this effort.
  2. JosephM.
    Jul 13, 2002
    There are not many bands that consistently outdo themselves. Great follow-up to the masterpiece that is the Soft Bulletin.
  3. Nov 2, 2011
    Yoshimi has already made history and I am truly happy that louds of people will discover it for itâ
  4. BenjaminBunny
    Jun 8, 2004
    Makes my heart throb and my head bob.
  5. JenniferL.
    Jul 10, 2002
    Amazing...
  6. RichardJ.
    Jul 14, 2002
    Another excellent album from the Flaming Lips. 'Are You a Hypnotist?' is a great song.
  7. didactylos
    Aug 1, 2002
    good stuff wears thin after a while
  8. JeremyG
    Jan 4, 2004
    Having heard both albums, one cannot help but compare it to 'Soft Bulletin,' but it still performs admirably even against such a formidable masterwork. A solid album with melodic bliss to spare.
  9. BadCritic
    Jan 4, 2005
    I stuggle a little with the Lips. A first listen of Yoshimi prompts the inevitable (but initially missed by most) comparison with Cat Stevens, but wait, there's more. Listen to The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi back to back, and you start to pick up threads from other artists, and not necessarily good ones either. Hasn't anyone out there heard the rip off from the (ghastly) Alan I stuggle a little with the Lips. A first listen of Yoshimi prompts the inevitable (but initially missed by most) comparison with Cat Stevens, but wait, there's more. Listen to The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi back to back, and you start to pick up threads from other artists, and not necessarily good ones either. Hasn't anyone out there heard the rip off from the (ghastly) Alan Parson's Project 'A Turn of a Friendly Card'. Three or four other tracks sound awfully familiar, but hey, Wayne, you pull it off so well, all is forgiven. Expand
  10. ChrisK.
    Jul 18, 2002
    I wasn't sure it could be done, but the Lips have managed to make a brilliant follow-up to the majestic "Bulletin". It is a beautiful achievement from a band at the height of its abilities. "Yoshimi" is a wonderful, engaging listen.
  11. LesZero
    Jul 23, 2002
    The Lips turn down the amps a notch and make a quiet, contemplative, immersive follow-up to the brilliant, brash, astonishing Soft Bulletin. Nice work, gentlemen.
  12. ScottS.
    Jul 25, 2002
    I think that Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is better than The Soft Bulletin. I'm over 35 and, while The Soft Bulletin was okay, there were a couple of crappy tracks and it was light-years from this new one, where there isn't a bad song in the bunch. I am accustomed to albums of that quality, aka The Wall, Nevermind, and Whos Next. The only thing even close to The Flaming Lips I think that Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is better than The Soft Bulletin. I'm over 35 and, while The Soft Bulletin was okay, there were a couple of crappy tracks and it was light-years from this new one, where there isn't a bad song in the bunch. I am accustomed to albums of that quality, aka The Wall, Nevermind, and Whos Next. The only thing even close to The Flaming Lips two last albums is a couple of recording in the 90s by nirvana. The rest of this stuff is crap and I try to ignore it. The Flaming Lips is my favorite band that is still recording new material. (On the list of favorite but dead bands are The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, and King Crimson). This is some pretty high praise from a professional songwriter. There for awhile, I was in hopes that Queenstryche would measure up and followup their Empire CD, but it never really happened to my satisfaction. Expand
  13. MichaelM
    Jun 1, 2005
    absolutely the best album of 2002, by far.
  14. billy
    Aug 1, 2005
    Yoshimi piles on layers of melodic wonderment. A true marvel. The Lips are on their way to absolute greatness.
  15. Gray
    Jan 21, 2006
    Incredible Album
  16. BillH
    Mar 6, 2006
    One of the best albums I've ever heard. Simple messages on life, death and love told through ambitious and uplifting song. Yes, to some, some of the instrumentals and songs may sound a bit much, but if you have an ear for the weird and different, you'll love this.
  17. JonL
    Jul 28, 2006
    Sheds the symphonic sweep of The Soft Bulletin for dense, fluid electronica, while retaining the whimsical melancholy and thoughts on life, death, and humanity. The playfulness of the Lips doesn't detract from their more ruminative tracks, rather, it adds punch to the emotional impact and sheer beauty. As good as their previous album, and maybe the best album of the decade. Truly masterful.
  18. MikeS
    Mar 8, 2008
    A breathe of fresh air after listening to loads of crap by Nickelback, Gwen Stefani, Middle Finger Eleven, and you name it. If you enjoy Radiohead in their Kid A/OK Computer iteration, then you will love this!!!
  19. Number45
    May 16, 2008
    The most perfect album I've ever heard.
  20. CarlG.
    May 7, 2008
    This album is one of few I have ever listened to that I would call a masterpiece (in the classical sense). The other is The Soft Bulletin. The album is a journey and you should listen to it from start to finish without interruption.
  21. SofaAmazing
    Oct 23, 2002
    To be honest, I never liked the Flaming Lips all that much before listening to this CD. As of now I'm convinced that if they don't go down in history as the greatest musical group of my generation, there is something criminally wrong with the music industry.
  22. SilverSteve
    Jul 10, 2002
    I have only had the CD for a few days but it is growing stronger with every listen. A big recomendation to Lips or Mercury Rev fans. For a first time listener, check out the previous CD "The Soft Bulletin". Lots of fun and weirdness on this CD.
  23. tstafogian
    Jul 14, 2002
    unreal. best disc of 2002 so far, with Wilco being a close second.
  24. MichaelW.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Brilliant.
  25. bunnytiger
    Jul 18, 2002
    this album sounds like rain would sound if every drop of it had a beautiful singing voice to sing along with.
  26. MikeB.
    Jul 18, 2002
    Like the Soft Bulletin, it takes a couple of spins to really appreciate the beauty of Yoshimi. But once it hits yeah, whoa nelly! Their is no doubt that the Lips are one of the most innovating bands in American pop/rock.
  27. EricH.
    Jul 21, 2002
    Another weirdly-captivating chapter in the Flaming Lips' ever evolving career. "Yoshimi" is wonderful, surreal, and quirky.
  28. RickG.
    Jul 23, 2002
    A very, very good record for this late in the game for the venerable Lips. If you want a legit #10 rated record from these guys, check out 'Hit To Death In The Future Head'. Now that's a 10! Can't wait to see their new movie, 'Christmas on Mars' this xmas, should be interesting.
  29. MichaelB.
    Jul 24, 2002
    Astonishing...Yoshimi flows like no album I'd ever heard. You're sucked in by its beauty and before you know it you've listened to the whole 45 minutes! And it passes Wilco, in my 'lil opinion, as album of the year...
  30. RodS.
    Jul 28, 2002
    Not quite as brilliant as The Soft Bulletin but it still doesn't matter, as this is easily the best CD so far this year. The Flaming Lips may very well end up being the best group never to make the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1. The measured use of electronics recalls nothing so much as OK Computer, and in some ways Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots sounds like that album might have if Thom Yorke believed in God.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Songs like "Fight Test" and "Do You Realize" have various tics--but they're so sweet-souled that such sins are easily forgiven. [19 July 2002, p.74]
  3. Mojo
    If Yoshimi.... lacks the sheer shock value of Bulletin's panoramic delirium, its peak moments are enough to make it one of 2002's most rewarding releases. [Album of the Month, Aug 2002, p.92]