Mar 8, 2011The music is fresh and compelling, sure, but there's nothing in the lyrics or the instrumentation that leads one to assume these musicians haven't been acquiring experience on the road for a dozen years. [Feb 2011, p.90]
Dec 20, 2013This album may not be for most people, but I personally have appreciated what this album had to offer. I mostly enjoyed the songs Garands, My Body, and Apartment but all are worth a listen. I would not recommend this album for people that enjoy genres of the hardcore, electronic, or rap category but it is an awesome buy for people who are looking for a more mellow tune. I cant wait for Mind Over Matter.… Expand
May 5, 2012In my opinion, and I am no official music critic just a lover of music. Young The Giant's albums are a little too... how can I put this, synthetic. They are great musicians, without a doubt. Sameer Gadhia's vocal range is without a doubt impressive, and these guys can really jam and keep a groove. I guarantee if they released their "In The Open Session" singles as one album, which you can find all over youtube.com if you haven't listened to them yet, they would be at the top of the charts in a week. It's hard now-a-days to find a group of musicians who play well, sing well, and truly love what they're doing. I wish the best of luck to Young the Giant!… Expand
Jun 29, 2012Probably one of the best debuts from an alternative to come out ever- as well as one of the most underrated and inexposed. Whether you were a Young the Giant fan pre-VMAs or post-VMAs is trivial; I discovered YtG on 10/25/10 the first day their album came out and fell in love with them, and their big exposure 8/28/11 doesn't make it any different. A bigger fanbase means a longer career for a band, and if you can start early on a fanbase within your career, it really launches and motivates it
Anyways, to the album: Young the Giant's self-titled debut album blends Sugar Ray\\\\\\\'s sunshine pop and the Killers' edgy alternative genres in a sophisticated adult alternative sound, popular amongst all ages. The album is a perfect soundtrack for the summer.
1. Apartment- 9.0 A stellar leadoff composition. It begins the story of the album right off the bat: "After leaving my apartment, I feel this cold inside me.." Gadhia's vocals echo throughout and the guitar riff is catchy and stages for a wonderful summer feeling. What really got my attention though is the chorus, with the natural switch to a C chord in D major, adding a unique flavor to my earbuds. "I hit the sidewalk and this is how i starts" speaks to me, being such a simple yet powerful line. Overall a 9/10, the vocal harmonies could have been better during the chorus.
2. My Body- 9.5/10 Ah.. the song that got them famous thanks to the 2011 VMAs. Before My Body charted to 98 on the Billboard Hot 100, but after August 28th, 2011 it charted as high as 65! This song obviously is a standout in the album, being extremely edgy and not sounding like the sunshine alternative sound created throughout the rest of the album. My Body tells me no but I want more Young the Giant: great place to put a song with that line and this much hype: makes me want to explore the rest of the album. Just needed a little more originality during the chorus, though Gadhia's voice is extremely powerful.
3. I Got- 9.5/10 The perfect summer song (minus 0.5 of course). The verses are so relaxing yet edgy perfect for the beach. Leading into the chorus the lead guitar resembles water splashing into the crisp ocean, and the chorus is laid back too. I just didnt like the harmonies in the chorus, which made it sound like a 70s chorus blend.
4. Cough Syrup- 9/10 This song starts right off the bat and provides the listener with a faster yet smooth composition, able to be played at multiple occasions. The background organ provides a relaxing sensation before getting surprised on the chorus, ready to get up and dance. I just wish the song was a little edgier, reminiscent of "My Body"
5. God Made Man 7.5/10 Beautiful song with sensational drumwork, adding bongos and appropriate percussion to a recipe of success. On the contrary, the song lacked any originality and there was no lead-up to the grand finale at the end, which wasn\\\\\\\'t stunning in itself. However, once again Gadhia\\\\\\\'s vocals put the song over the hump.
6. 12 Fingers- 8/10 A more adult alternative sound, bringing out much more of the Killers\\\\\\\' sound. Once again a great song for relaxing at the beach. The song lacks originality however within the background music, but the vocals are phenomenal, as well as the high-pitched and smooth guitar. 7. Strings- 9.9/10 Perhaps my favorite song of the album. I get lost in time with this beautiful composition: absolutely stunning. One thought; during the 2nd verse I wish the harmonies were just a little more filling
8. Your Side- 8/10 Im on the song\\\\\\\'s side; sounds very similar to Garands except a faster tempo. The falsetto synthesizer in the background for the verses as well as the edgy guitar sell this song to me though, even though the chorus lacks originality.
9. Garands 8/10 Beautiful edgy song; just very original and simple. The vocals of Gadhia during the chorus are simple yet brilliant and have a jazzy pop influence which stands out immensely 10. St. Walker- 7/10 I like this song, but I don\\\\\\\'t know why. This is the only song where the background music makes it great but Gadhia\\\\\\\'s vocals do not blend with it at all to the slightest bit. The background music is brilliant and edgy though.
11. Islands- 9.5/10 So beautiful and soothing. Really speaks to the listener and stands out from the whole album. Reminiscent of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" with dream pop keys, creating imagery of night time islands. Simple, but beautiful.
12. Guns Out- 8/10 Nothing special just another listenable beach song. Good choice to end the album though on a high point. Gadhia's falsetto is simply beautiful
TOTAL: 8.5/10 GREAT DEBUT ALBUM! Just needs some originality and blend on some tracks… Expand
May 20, 2011Young The Giant's debut album is wondrous. Sameer Gadhia's vocals are beyond amazing. The whole album is a pop sensation. Every track is catchy and you'll be humming them for quite sometime. All In All, Young The Giant's Debut album have a couple pop masterpieces. The rest are exceptional. B+… Expand
|Spiderland [Box Set] - Slint|
|Led Zeppelin III [Remastered] - Led Zeppelin|
|Led Zeppelin I [Remastered] - Led Zeppelin|
|Led Zeppelin II [Remastered] - Led Zeppelin|
|Definitely Maybe [Remastered] - Oasis|
|Nightclubbing [Deluxe Edition] - Grace Jones|
|Soul Mining (30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) [Box Set] - The The|
|From Parts Unknown - Every Time I Die|
|Illmatic XX [20th Anniversary Edition] - Nas|
|Syro - Aphex Twin|
|Superunknown [Deluxe Edition] - Soundgarden|
|Anthology [Box Set] - The Clean|
|To Be Kind - Swans|
|Too Bright - Perfume Genius|
|Face the Music [Box Set] - Nils Lofgren|
|Foundations of Burden - Pallbearer|
|Go Down in History [EP] - Four Year Strong|
|LP1 - FKA Twigs|
|CSNY 1974 [Box Set] - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young|
|Colfax - The Delines|