|Stop The train is ridin Down to the station Where you lived When we were school kids Hey The rails are caught now And I am falling down fools in a...||See the rest of the song lyrics|
Alternative PressMar 8, 2011The music is fresh and compelling, sure, but there's nothing in the lyrics or the instrumentation that leads one to assume these musicians haven't been acquiring experience on the road for a dozen years. [Feb 2011, p.90]
Q MagazineAug 19, 2011Their debut presents tuneful, superior indie rock and bittersweet lyricism. [Sep 2011, p.119]
Dec 20, 2013This album may not be for most people, but I personally have appreciated what this album had to offer. I mostly enjoyed the songs Garands, MyThis album may not be for most people, but I personally have appreciated what this album had to offer. I mostly enjoyed the songs Garands, My Body, and Apartment but all are worth a listen. I would not recommend this album for people that enjoy genres of the hardcore, electronic, or rap category but it is an awesome buy for people who are looking for a more mellow tune. I cant wait for Mind Over Matter.… Expand
May 5, 2012In my opinion, and I am no official music critic just a lover of music. Young The Giant's albums are a little too... how can I put this,In my opinion, and I am no official music critic just a lover of music. Young The Giant's albums are a little too... how can I put this, synthetic. They are great musicians, without a doubt. Sameer Gadhia's vocal range is without a doubt impressive, and these guys can really jam and keep a groove. I guarantee if they released their "In The Open Session" singles as one album, which you can find all over youtube.com if you haven't listened to them yet, they would be at the top of the charts in a week. It's hard now-a-days to find a group of musicians who play well, sing well, and truly love what they're doing. I wish the best of luck to Young the Giant!… Expand
May 13, 2017I don't get why the critic review is so low, this is a great album. songs like cough syrup and apartment are unforgettable and Sameer's vocalsI don't get why the critic review is so low, this is a great album. songs like cough syrup and apartment are unforgettable and Sameer's vocals are superb… Expand
Jun 29, 2012Probably one of the best debuts from an alternative to come out ever- as well as one of the most underrated and inexposed. Whether you were aProbably one of the best debuts from an alternative to come out ever- as well as one of the most underrated and inexposed. Whether you were a Young the Giant fan pre-VMAs or post-VMAs is trivial; I discovered YtG on 10/25/10 the first day their album came out and fell in love with them, and their big exposure 8/28/11 doesn't make it any different. A bigger fanbase means a longer career for a band, and if you can start early on a fanbase within your career, it really launches and motivates it
Anyways, to the album: Young the Giant's self-titled debut album blends Sugar Ray\\\\\\\'s sunshine pop and the Killers' edgy alternative genres in a sophisticated adult alternative sound, popular amongst all ages. The album is a perfect soundtrack for the summer.
1. Apartment- 9.0 A stellar leadoff composition. It begins the story of the album right off the bat: "After leaving my apartment, I feel this cold inside me.." Gadhia's vocals echo throughout and the guitar riff is catchy and stages for a wonderful summer feeling. What really got my attention though is the chorus, with the natural switch to a C chord in D major, adding a unique flavor to my earbuds. "I hit the sidewalk and this is how i starts" speaks to me, being such a simple yet powerful line. Overall a 9/10, the vocal harmonies could have been better during the chorus.
2. My Body- 9.5/10 Ah.. the song that got them famous thanks to the 2011 VMAs. Before My Body charted to 98 on the Billboard Hot 100, but after August 28th, 2011 it charted as high as 65! This song obviously is a standout in the album, being extremely edgy and not sounding like the sunshine alternative sound created throughout the rest of the album. My Body tells me no but I want more Young the Giant: great place to put a song with that line and this much hype: makes me want to explore the rest of the album. Just needed a little more originality during the chorus, though Gadhia's voice is extremely powerful.
3. I Got- 9.5/10 The perfect summer song (minus 0.5 of course). The verses are so relaxing yet edgy perfect for the beach. Leading into the chorus the lead guitar resembles water splashing into the crisp ocean, and the chorus is laid back too. I just didnt like the harmonies in the chorus, which made it sound like a 70s chorus blend.
4. Cough Syrup- 9/10 This song starts right off the bat and provides the listener with a faster yet smooth composition, able to be played at multiple occasions. The background organ provides a relaxing sensation before getting surprised on the chorus, ready to get up and dance. I just wish the song was a little edgier, reminiscent of "My Body"
5. God Made Man 7.5/10 Beautiful song with sensational drumwork, adding bongos and appropriate percussion to a recipe of success. On the contrary, the song lacked any originality and there was no lead-up to the grand finale at the end, which wasn\\\\\\\'t stunning in itself. However, once again Gadhia\\\\\\\'s vocals put the song over the hump.
6. 12 Fingers- 8/10 A more adult alternative sound, bringing out much more of the Killers\\\\\\\' sound. Once again a great song for relaxing at the beach. The song lacks originality however within the background music, but the vocals are phenomenal, as well as the high-pitched and smooth guitar. 7. Strings- 9.9/10 Perhaps my favorite song of the album. I get lost in time with this beautiful composition: absolutely stunning. One thought; during the 2nd verse I wish the harmonies were just a little more filling
8. Your Side- 8/10 Im on the song\\\\\\\'s side; sounds very similar to Garands except a faster tempo. The falsetto synthesizer in the background for the verses as well as the edgy guitar sell this song to me though, even though the chorus lacks originality.
9. Garands 8/10 Beautiful edgy song; just very original and simple. The vocals of Gadhia during the chorus are simple yet brilliant and have a jazzy pop influence which stands out immensely 10. St. Walker- 7/10 I like this song, but I don\\\\\\\'t know why. This is the only song where the background music makes it great but Gadhia\\\\\\\'s vocals do not blend with it at all to the slightest bit. The background music is brilliant and edgy though.
11. Islands- 9.5/10 So beautiful and soothing. Really speaks to the listener and stands out from the whole album. Reminiscent of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" with dream pop keys, creating imagery of night time islands. Simple, but beautiful.
12. Guns Out- 8/10 Nothing special just another listenable beach song. Good choice to end the album though on a high point. Gadhia's falsetto is simply beautiful
TOTAL: 8.5/10 GREAT DEBUT ALBUM! Just needs some originality and blend on some tracks… Expand
Mar 26, 2018I have only listened to TtG once, so this review may be premature and flawed. Who knows; I may grow to love this album with repeated listens.I have only listened to TtG once, so this review may be premature and flawed. Who knows; I may grow to love this album with repeated listens.
The music on this album is good, the vocals sound fresh, deep, and interesting, and the lyrics are not usually bad, and have some strong moments. The biggest problem with this debut album is that it really lacks distinctiveness. A few songs stand out, but the others fade and blend together in an unsatisfying way. Songs 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8 all sound too similar, and don't stand out much. "Islands" is an interesting song and stands out musically and lyrically, and "Garands" boasts strong lyrics but has undistinctive, unimpressive music. I find "My Body" annoying after hearing it 100 times on Alt radio, but "Cough Syrup" hasn't lost it's charm.
The real highlight on this debut album is "Apartment", which utilizes the lead singer's voice in the best way possible. It is a great, captivating song with memorable lyrics and great music.
YtG has some good, and is almost never flat-out bad. It just suffers from a lack of distinctiveness which hurts the fun and enjoyability of the album. Also, the lyrics on this album are never really amazing, with the only exception possibly being "Garands."… Expand
Nov 16, 2011maybe its just me, or maybe there are just better options. Maybe i need to like boring music that cant even keep my attention. Either way thismaybe its just me, or maybe there are just better options. Maybe i need to like boring music that cant even keep my attention. Either way this was definitely a download, listen, then delete cd for me.… Expand
- By user score
|Love Yourself: Tear - BTS|
|Dirty Computer - Janelle Monáe|
|Isolation - Kali Uchis|
|Primal Heart - Kimbra|
|The Horizon Just Laughed - Damien Jurado|
|DAYTONA - Pusha T|
|Camila - Camila Cabello|
|Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves|
|7 - Beach House|
|Cocoa Sugar - Young Fathers|
|Someone Out There - Rae Morris|
|May Your Kindness Remain - Courtney Marie Andrews|
|Little Dark Age - MGMT|
|Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest|
|2012-2017 - A.A.L. (Against All Logic)|
|Wildness - Snow Patrol|
|Saturation III - BROCKHAMPTON|
|Firepower - Judas Priest|
|Care For Me - Saba|
|Beyondless - Iceage|