• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 10, 2013
  • Season #: 1
5.4

1. Dec 18, 2012
    This show seemed to be a slam dunk - original director of Modern Family, a great premise, funny stars. The pilot was a huge faceplant, however. The third act was the President of the US playing tennis against a foreign dignitary and the crowd chanting, "USA"!?!? If this show is going to succeed it has to have some grounded plotlines and let the humor come from the character dynamics. It's already asking a lot of the audience to believe this family is in the White House, the president is Romney-looking Bill Pullman (with a Black Chief-of-Staff?). I don't think I can stomach another watch. Someone let us know if it gets any better. Expand
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Not for me or the wife. Almost made it through the pilot, but couldn't quite do it. Writing-wise, after about ten minutes, I realized every single character was talking in the same style of voice of seen used for Josh Gad in the movies I've seen him in. And I liked Josh in those movies because he was distinctive. But now his voice is coming out of every single character and what was once charming is now just annoying - at least for me. On network TV, Modern Family continues to be the high bar for me right now. Expand
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    Dear god please, let this show be a figment of my imagination. It's time to mourn the NBC of old, which created such gems as 30 Rock and Community. If this is the future of television, I want no part in watching it.
  4. Jan 10, 2013
    Waste of time. A very boring, forgetful, and unfunny show. Will not watch another episode unless they can make some big changes. The ending was in very bad taste. I would compare this to "THE NEW NORMAL" GARBAGE
  5. Jan 13, 2013
    Tedious is the word that comes to mind to describe what I thought of this show. It was an effort to continue to pay attention as the show tripped and fell over itself. The Skip character is given far too much screen time for what the character adds to the show. To paraphrase an old chestnut --- when Skip is on the screen, it is like five talented and well-scripted actors left the scene.

After watching the pilot, I removed the show from the "to be recorded" list on my DVR. Then I decided to give the show a second chance, and recorded and watch the second episode, Skiplantic or something.

I suffered through the entire second episode, only to resolve to never waste my time on this show again.
  6. Jan 26, 2013
    Laconic version: Cliche storm of a sitcom with the Oval Office as its setting. Stay clear. This show would be a better fit if it aired back in the 80's.
  7. Dec 19, 2012
    This show was cringe worthy. My wife and I were looking for something moderately funny to pass the time and resorted to watching Modern Family reruns on the DVR by the time this was over. How could anyone have found this funny? It's not even worthy of "so bad it's funny" status. It honestly thinks it's clever and that's the worst part of all.
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    Bleh, I tried to watch but absolutely nothing in this is funny or original. Your same old sitcom cliches that have been done to death. Not even a Romney presidency could have saved this show.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Cute, initially, the bull-in-a-china-shop premise wears a little thin until you realize there are others in the family capable of embarrassing dad, too.
  2. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jan 11, 2013
    All in all, Skip, an unkempt ball of puppyish energy to whom the writers feed a wealth of good material, is by far the best thing about this show. Jenna Elfman is all right as first lady and the rest of the cast hovers around the edges not making much of an impression.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jan 10, 2013
    The broad comedy in 1600 Penn derives from familiar sitcom clich├ęs being magnified by the Oval Office fishbowl. It's a gimmick that may have trouble holding up to a second term, though the cast is certainly game.