24 : Season 6

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.0

1. Slotkins
    Jun 28, 2007
    Same ol', same ol'. Yeah, I watched it all, but by the end felt like I'd seen it all before - and just last year. It's just a soap opera with an suitcase nukes. And what did we learn this season? That torture is wrong - if the subject is in the regular cast, otherwise go ahead. I'd like to water-board the creators and see if next season is just another hack-job Same ol', same ol'. Yeah, I watched it all, but by the end felt like I'd seen it all before - and just last year. It's just a soap opera with an suitcase nukes. And what did we learn this season? That torture is wrong - if the subject is in the regular cast, otherwise go ahead. I'd like to water-board the creators and see if next season is just another hack-job reshuffle of "previously on 24". Is that all they got? Expand
  2. DanielS
    Jan 15, 2007
    After watching the first half of the 4-hour pilot, I feel a little dumber than when I started it. Where to begin...I was wholly put off by the show's cheap attempt to pander to American fears of terrorist attacks, in which no US city--with such improbable targets as San Antonio and Baltimore--is safe from radical Islamist fury. Nothing wrong with a topical TV program, but the After watching the first half of the 4-hour pilot, I feel a little dumber than when I started it. Where to begin...I was wholly put off by the show's cheap attempt to pander to American fears of terrorist attacks, in which no US city--with such improbable targets as San Antonio and Baltimore--is safe from radical Islamist fury. Nothing wrong with a topical TV program, but the show's use of such hot-button topics as fodder for its muscular action feels cheap. As a result, the show works in broad strokes. The neighbor down the street is a racist redneck, the neo-con politico applauds American policy of internment, and the Arab characters are largely monsters. (It would be nice to see a TV show, in which the Arab characters are not terrorists or torturers.) 24 attempts a few liberal gestures by questioning the government's invasion of privacy, but in terms of ideology, the show feels very right-wing. Like such vigilante justice movies as DIRTY HARRY and DEATH WISH, the program makes the case that the patriotic ends justify the very questionable means. By now, 24's narrative gambit has grown tiresome. The show's narrative goals are laid out in the first hour, and it will draw out its story arc by postponing these goals through increasingly improbable twists. It's a standard tactic of film and TV storytelling, but to sustain such a process for 24 episodes calls for a suspension of disbelief that this viewer does not have. Finally, a word about the show's style. The split-screen imagery is often times inspired and the omniscient perspective that the show takes--namely, during the surveillance sequences--creates good suspense. But the show's cutting strikes me as sloppy craftsmanship. The scenes look like they were shot with multiple cameras, or, at the least, the filmmakers shot a huge amount of coverage. This kind of filmmaking tends to pay little attention to the expressivity of staging, subtle gesture, and composition. This is not unusual in television, but I think what really suffers is that the actor's performances are largely constructed through editing, rather than through nuanced figure behavior. This is not to say that the acting in the show would be any better if a different technique were employed. The fact is that the performances here are just plain bad--very flat or else very broad. All in all, a disappointing show, but I guess I was never really a fan from the beginning. Expand
  3. MichaelC
    Feb 12, 2007
    This season is filled with poor writing. For example, I think the subplot of Jack's father, Phillip, is beyond ridiculous. Nothing to do with his motives, just CTU's apparent apathy to even question him, let alone allow to freely tamper with evidence, spy on them, etc. I cringed while I watched how dumb that was.
  4. simond
    Feb 10, 2007
    i still watch it and enjoy it, but frankly its getting pretty formulaic. you see the twists coming and the emergencies are the same. I'd have preferred a total change and had this season based in china... oh well maybe next season.
  5. FrancoP
    Feb 6, 2007
    It isn't a bad show; it just is so unrealistic its getting to be a joke. Last night, for example, a nuclear device has been detonated in LA contaminating the air for miles around. And the comic-relief member of CTU is happily driving around in a convertible!!! Why is he important? Because the terrorists want him to arm four nuclear devices (Something even Walmart doesn't sell -- It isn't a bad show; it just is so unrealistic its getting to be a joke. Last night, for example, a nuclear device has been detonated in LA contaminating the air for miles around. And the comic-relief member of CTU is happily driving around in a convertible!!! Why is he important? Because the terrorists want him to arm four nuclear devices (Something even Walmart doesn't sell -- yet). So, another bad guy, complete with annoying girlfriend in tow, decides to kidnap him off the street. Now bearing in mid he REALLY needs this guy what does he threaten?? If you don't come with me I'm going to shoot you in the head!! I'm praying the guy in the car says no...just to see what stupid kidnap guy does next!! There are so many more ridiculous moments that it would take me an hour to mention them...the show has attained "must watch" status because it's gotten so bad it's brilliant. One last thought..how does a guy with zero political experience get to be President in nine months?? Even Dubya had to slum it in Texas for a few years. Expand
  6. CliffS
    Jan 15, 2007
    Look, it's fun all right. It's exciting and the production is slick. If that's enough for you, then enjoy. But must it be so darned stupid? So terribly illogical? So relentlessly ridiculous? Man, this show insults the wisdom of 8 year olds! I watched the entire 4 hours, and I've had enough. Have fun, kids.
  7. paulk
    Jan 16, 2007
    Just may have jumped a shark on this one. No suprises here. In the midst of Jack's pain and anguish, there's always CTU or the President on the cell phone. I really liked season 1 and the last 2 seasons were great - this was too unbelievable - it was almost silly.
  8. samijo
    May 14, 2007
    Well, it started off promising and then turned into the same ol' same ol'. This saeson is just a repeat of 5 and 6..Gee..CTU security was breached *shock* There was a SPY in the White house *shock again* Jack Baure is a badass???*gasp* more like YAAAAWWWWN

Far from taking anything away from the pulse-pounding show, thanks to Kiefer Sutherland’s magnetic performance, Bauer’s subtle psychological anguish may be the most interesting surprise of “24’s” new season.
    Where does that leave Season 6, then, when the show has stemmed major disasters for five years running and its intensity level of choice is 11? As well-oiled as before, actually, and, judging from the four hours airing over Sunday and Monday, unafraid of edging its parallel-universe America ever closer toward a world war nightmare of mass hysteria.
  3. Unlike most serialized dramas of late... "24" continues to do everything right.