• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 25, 2008
7.6

1. MattR.
    Jun 27, 2008
    I have read the book for this play and the movie is just as good if not better than the play. it shows how racism and the hardships of people can be overcome by staying together as a family. This is a must watch movie
    Mar 27, 2008
    Better Luck, Next Time. The women carried the show. I never felt the passion of Walter Lee Younger from Sean Combs (P.Diddy). P.Diddy should fall back, in performing the character Walter, and do what he does best as an Executive Producer - "Behind the Scene".
  3. SR.
    Mar 16, 2008
    This was easily the best production I've seen on commercial television in years. I know it was risky and I certainly hope it was worth the risk to ABC and the advertisers. It was way worth it to me.
  4. CameronK.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Phenomenal performance by Audra McDonald.
  5. gailz.
    Feb 27, 2008
    I wish they would put more like this on prime time television. I loved the old Kraft Theater shows, etc. The acting was good enough to hold my attention the entire time.
  6. CHASEE.
    Feb 26, 2008
    All the women and other supporting actors were great! The lead actor P diddy or puffy combs was extremely difficult to watch. He needs some acting lessons.
  7. AaronM.
    Feb 26, 2008
    Combs was awful, and the adaptation left out several key scenes form the play in favor of including dumbed-down sequences that attempted to emphasize the same problems the play dealt with much more powerfully.
  8. JudyC.
    Feb 26, 2008
    Superb! Combs and Rashad stole the show for me!! However, everyone was great in this movie. Even though it was 3 hours I didn't want it to end. At first when I saw Combs in this movie with the strong female cast, I was thinking, why? But now I can only say why not!!! He was amazing. Less than halfway through the movie I forgot it was "puff daddy". Great job to all...this movie better Superb! Combs and Rashad stole the show for me!! However, everyone was great in this movie. Even though it was 3 hours I didn't want it to end. At first when I saw Combs in this movie with the strong female cast, I was thinking, why? But now I can only say why not!!! He was amazing. Less than halfway through the movie I forgot it was "puff daddy". Great job to all...this movie better get some awards!!!!! Expand
  9. LS.
    Feb 26, 2008
    This was a wonderful remake of this movie. I do not feel that Mr. Combs was as convincing in the role of Walter. Although he did do well, just over shadowed by the great women in the movie.
  10. Christianp.
    Feb 25, 2008
    The play is magnificent, but I'm afraid the film-making is shoddy at best here. The music is distracting and the up-close hand-held camera work is stifling. Plus, the changes to the script are awkward, but I suppose that happens with any adaptations.
  11. BillH.
    Feb 25, 2008
    Unfortunately, I'm old enough to have seen Sidney, Claudia Mc neil, Ruby Dee and Diana Sands in the original movie. This film with Diddy is good but I don't think it will ever move me as much as the 1961 movie.

This knockout adaptation of the Lorraine Hansberry play is a model of both the pure power of stage acting and TV’s potential to bring us up close to that acting without deadening it.
    It's a beauty--in many ways richer than the Broadway production--and should not be missed.
    At three hours, this adaptation might seem a bit lengthy, but when Raisin’s female cast members are on the screen, the time flies by.