Aliens in America : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2007
8.0

1. Sammy
    Oct 2, 2007
    I'm a little surprised at the metascore of 77; I had no idea religious and racial intolerance were considered to be funny. I was ashamed of the family's instant dislike towards Raja, not to mention the students' ignorance and cruelty. Sure, the family's attitude towards Raja changes, but I think the intolerance thing will be prevalent in subsequent episodes, just from I'm a little surprised at the metascore of 77; I had no idea religious and racial intolerance were considered to be funny. I was ashamed of the family's instant dislike towards Raja, not to mention the students' ignorance and cruelty. Sure, the family's attitude towards Raja changes, but I think the intolerance thing will be prevalent in subsequent episodes, just from different sources. And like I said, it's not something that I find humorous. This show makes me ashamed to be American. I'm not giving this show lower than a five because all the actors did very fine jobs, and the actress playing the mother is just gorgeous! But I'm very disappointed regarding the conceit of the show. Expand

1. The Aliens pilot has some of the funniest writing on TV this fall.
  2. It is a classic fish-out-of-water comedy that shows a deft touch as it delves into adolescent anxieties and intercultural fears and misunderstandings. There are honest emotions and honestly earned laughs throughout the first half hour.
  3. Kalyan and Byrd are two likable, unaffected actors (or at least as unaffected as Aliens' heightened reality allows them to be; this show would be a mess in lesser hands).