• Network: TLC
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 13, 2011
  • Season #: 1
6.2

1. Nov 19, 2011
    I was initially interested to see what the show might be like, because I thought that my own knowledge of Islam was somewhat lacking. However, even with my poor knowledge of Muslims, I know that this is NOT what normal Muslims are like, and the actions taken by some of the characters in this series feel exaggerated. Maybe it's just the TLC pedigree, but nothing about this show feelsI was initially interested to see what the show might be like, because I thought that my own knowledge of Islam was somewhat lacking. However, even with my poor knowledge of Muslims, I know that this is NOT what normal Muslims are like, and the actions taken by some of the characters in this series feel exaggerated. Maybe it's just the TLC pedigree, but nothing about this show feels genuine to me. It feels more like a Muslim instructional video than an actual reality series, if the term "reality" even denotes anything real anymore. I walked away from All-American Muslim feeling frustrated and even a bit embarrassed. And if a Protestant Christian is getting embarrassed by the misrepresentation of Muslims, you know that your series has failed to do its intended purpose. Expand
  2. Dec 5, 2011
    Dumb show. Contrived...not real at all. Don't waste your time on this..watch sponge bob instead...it's more real than All-American Muslim. I think TLC is hoping to create ratings through controversy. Pitiful.

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Nov 22, 2011
    It feels fairly honest, and more interesting and relevant than most.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 14, 2011
    The show is a quietly intriguing, informative study of assimilation, identity and community. [21 Nov 2011, p.40]
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Nov 14, 2011
    All-American Muslim [may be] a bit dull for viewers conditioned to expect ginned-up drama but given the potential sensitivities of the subject matter, it seems appropriate.