All in the Family : Season 7

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 3 more ratings

1. Mar 5, 2017
    First of all, let me just note that I'm glad to see that this seventh season of All In The Family was released at all after such a long wait (and production company shift) since season six. Though this season lacked the comedic bite of the first 4-5, it still is worthwhile to take a look at.

The major shift in this seventh season is a (general) move away from the heated Archie/Meathead political "debates" and towards more societal/family matters, such as grandson Joey, women's liberation, and even Archie and Edith's sex life. I have to give kudos to Norman Lear for doing this, as he realized that using the "same old rhetoric" just wouldn't work.

Here's the problem: those societal issues just aren't as funny as the political stuff. Archie vs. Mike was the stuff of legend, while the more personal topics are interesting, but don't provide that laugh-out-loud punch. At times it is there, but those moments are much too few and far between.

I liken it to "The Office" in terms of quality. The first 4-5 seasons of that show were pure hilarity, a sixth was spotty, and (beginning with the seventh) it started to lose its gold standard. That is almost EXACTLY the pattern of this show as well.

However, it did not decrease to a point where I won't be purchasing the eighth go-'round early next year or anything like that. I'll still be around to watch the Bunker/Stivic hilarity.

There are no critic reviews yet.