• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 17, 2013
  • Season #: 1
8.5

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Gave it a shot by watching the first 3 episodes, but it was quickly obvious that this is yet another cookie cutter show. By episode 3 we had the laughable scenario where someone who would never, ever be given a field assignment in real life (the robot technician) was thrown into an undercover assignment and, predictably, his life was in danger without ever actually being in danger. At theGave it a shot by watching the first 3 episodes, but it was quickly obvious that this is yet another cookie cutter show. By episode 3 we had the laughable scenario where someone who would never, ever be given a field assignment in real life (the robot technician) was thrown into an undercover assignment and, predictably, his life was in danger without ever actually being in danger. At the end of this formulaic episode the previews for episode 4 showed yet another secondary character once again being in danger unless our protagonists comply with the bad guys' demands.

This type of unimaginative and predictable plot lines are simply not engaging or entertaining. It get very old to see the same plots dressed up in different settings.

Add to this the utter implausibility of the show's timeline, and what we end up with is a ridiculous piece of nonsense that, while well-acted, cannot stand up to even casual scrutiny.
  2. Nov 17, 2013
    Wow! I tried to watch it but it just didn't keep my attention. I don't know what it need or what it is missing but it really sucks!

The special effects are cool so I may give it another try. There is one thing that truly, truly bug me... it is the year 2048 and the technology is off the chain in all areas except weapons!!! What gives? You mean to tell me that they/we are still

The special effects are cool so I may give it another try.

There is one thing that truly, truly bug me... it is the year 2048 and the technology is off the chain in all areas except weapons!!! What gives? You mean to tell me that they/we are still shooting bullets? Where are the lasers or sound wave weapons?

This show has insulted my intelligence and is best suited for the teens.

Nonetheless, I may give it another chance, we shall see.
  3. Nov 29, 2013
    Utterly boring I'm afraid. The plot is disconnected and quite ridiculous and makes very little sense. The story is chock-full of the same cop characters we've seen in every other show only this time the writers decided to spice it up with robots.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    It's not good. Not good at all. A visual identity borrowed to Minority Reports & that's about it. It's really boring. It's basically a cop-duo for the near future. But if you want cops & elements from the future, "continuum" is just trashing "almost human"
  5. Nov 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very weak display.

I was very interested in seeing this show mainly because i saw some big last names involved in the production but i was sadly proven that not always this is a guarantee of a good piece of television. As a big fan of science fiction my hopes were quite literally crushed the very second the show started, with mind boggingly generic sound effects for guns (that are apparently super high-tech yet seem to be nothing different from what we have now). Seriously, "pew pew" is the echo of the 90's, who the hell thought that was a good idea? From early reviews i collected that apparently the story and world building are the biggest pro of this show it seems i've seen the wrong show, because a cliche ridden intro ("HANG ON BUDDY, WE GON' MAKE OUT OF HERE ALIVE, SCREW THAT ANDROID") does not bide well for a start. I could let the weak CGI slide, but the directing i cannot. Quite simply the laziest directing i've seen in a long while the shots were taken in such manner that i thought i'm watching CSI 2048. It doesn't really help that the movie explains a story in flashbacks and a very forced dialogue between the protagonist and a doctor. Seriously? This episode is atrocious and i won't even bother seeing another episode, as I find it hard to believe these crucial flaws will be adressed in the future.
  6. Feb 5, 2014
    This series has almost everything. It has good actors, a solid props department, good locations, camera, music and quite decent special effects. What it does not have is good writing.

From only a few episodes in you can tell that the series has no soul whatsoever. Every episode is on it's own, which is very bad for any science-fiction or fantasy series, because it erodes any illusion that it takes place inside a fictional world. Instead of establishing that world, futuristic and fictional technologies are thrown in as one-shot plot instruments, discarded right after single use.

Eventually it is just an above average cop show, but instead of getting something out of it's science fiction environment it gets watered down by it. If even the weirdest conclusions and circumstances just get made up on the basis on "some singular weird-tech could do that perhaps" nothing really matters.

What makes it all worse is that the authors have absolutely no understanding of how technology works, how it permeates our every day lives and how people interact with it. At its core, the series is surprisingly technophobic and futurephobic, which leaves a very strange impression for a near-future science fiction series.

I enjoy watching it, but only as long as I do so. As soon as I start thinking about it it pains me, which is never a good sign. Good fiction does not and should not do that. Worst of all it is no inspiring at all. Good fiction and artwork should be inspirational at least on some level. Almost Human is not, even though it is Almost Good.

Score 5 for the cop show part, complete failure as near-future sci-fi series. Can't really say it could be rated much better than 3.
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    The acting is so-so, The plot is a bit generic, and the action is fine. I was sort of hyped for the show but after seeing the first episode, I am far from sold on it. I'd be willing to give it 4-5 episodes but it has got to get better.
  8. Jan 6, 2014
    Usually, it's the second or third season before the writers get lazy, kick back, grab a donut, and write some dumb ass hostage, kidnap, or bomb around the neck story.

Any hack can do that. What a waste of a great premise, a pretty good ensamble cast, and decent direction.. Up to now, the demeaning of the "little guy", a 'la Saturday morning cartoons, was the only fault. Coulda

Any hack can do that.

Coulda been a great hybrid of SF and cop show.

They missed their chance.

I'm gone
  9. Jun 22, 2014
    I watched up until Episode 4 where right at the end Detective John Kennex mercilessly executed Captain Alexio Barros (a dirty cop). He shot him in the head and then basically went "pppf"!! I guess they didn't have enough evidence to prove the guy was corrupt? I lost all respect for the main character of the show right then and there.

In addition, what a ridiculous idea for a

In addition, what a ridiculous idea for a plotline!? They find out the bad guys are looking for a new chemist so they sign up their resident nerd to go undercover. It was obvious that the guy wasn't up for the task, but they put in him danger of his life anyway - almost like a bunch of college kids forcing one of their initiate outcasts into a harmless party prank. It was an eye-rolling moment.

At first there seemed to be so much going for this show - some great production names like Bad Robot & J.J. Abrams, such a great cast, some impressive special effects, and the unique futuristic AI premise, but the nonsensical writing went off the rails.

I'm relieved that this show wasn't renewed for a second season because now I don't have to watch it just on the principle that it was a promising new sci-fi series. I won't even feel guilty for not finishing Season 1.
  10. Jun 24, 2014
    I really don't know why people love this show. Nothing is special about it and the story lines are stupid and I could care less for the sci-fi. Karl Urban is good in this boring and really sub-par and failed drama.

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    The pilot (only the first hour was sent for review) is well made with strong leads and several intriguing hooks. Almost Human is almost there.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Nov 18, 2013
    Urban and Ealy are competent in their roles, damaged spirits destined to become brothers of a sort, not if, but only when.... While some viewers will be oblivious to the show’s racial politics, others will struggle to find a point. Somebody at Fox short-circuited.
  3. Reviewed by: Lesley Smith
    Nov 18, 2013
    If the premise intrigues you, watch or rewatch Blade Runner instead, and offer Almost Human the all-too-human body swerve.