• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 17, 2013
8.5

1. Dec 22, 2013
    Really enjoying this series so far. It doesn't take itself too seriously. The writers have tried to create interesting story lines with technologically advancement issues that they think may be problematic in the future. Karl Urban delivers a solid performance throughout along with most of the cast.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    Four episodes in and I am really enjoying the show. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy work great together. There back and forth banter can be extremely hilarious. The action scenes and special effects are also very well done. All of this makes for a very enjoyable show, but the familiarity of the futuristic cop theme does bring down the experience a little bit. Still, it's an enjoyable show evenFour episodes in and I am really enjoying the show. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy work great together. There back and forth banter can be extremely hilarious. The action scenes and special effects are also very well done. All of this makes for a very enjoyable show, but the familiarity of the futuristic cop theme does bring down the experience a little bit. Still, it's an enjoyable show even if it is unoriginal. I will continue to watch it and if I feel the need to I will update my review at a later time. Expand
  3. Nov 21, 2013
    First two episodes managed to entertain me, which some series have failed to do recently (SHIELD anyone?). Hasn't made the strongest impression yet, but I'm keen to finding out where it'll go. Storyline and characters are there to make things interesting.
  4. Nov 18, 2013
    Almost Human is a procedural that feels familiar, but is elevated by its appealing leads. Honestly, if the series had cast actors other than Karl Urban and Michael Ealy, I don't think it would have worked. How you feel about this show is going to be determined by whether or not you can accept its procedural elements. It does feel familiar, but in a nostalgic way. It's an odd feelingAlmost Human is a procedural that feels familiar, but is elevated by its appealing leads. Honestly, if the series had cast actors other than Karl Urban and Michael Ealy, I don't think it would have worked. How you feel about this show is going to be determined by whether or not you can accept its procedural elements. It does feel familiar, but in a nostalgic way. It's an odd feeling giving the unique setting, but its not necessarily a bad thing.

Another aspect that will determine your feelings is how interested you are in Dorian. To me it's fascinating to watch how Dorian is both human and not; a reflection of his creators but completely different. He is the life that humans have created, but isn't subservient. The first two episodes only hint at the potential of this arc, but if they choose to go down that road, (which it seems that they are), it will be a fascinating ride.

Give it a shot.
  5. Dec 3, 2013
    I like it so far. Sure, the future science is questionable, but what show or movie has true and actual science behind it? None. I like the character interaction, and yes, this is simply a cop buddy show with some sci-fi thrown in, but in many ways it's as good as or better than most cop buddy shows out there. The acting is solid. The action is solid as well. The technology and future logicI like it so far. Sure, the future science is questionable, but what show or movie has true and actual science behind it? None. I like the character interaction, and yes, this is simply a cop buddy show with some sci-fi thrown in, but in many ways it's as good as or better than most cop buddy shows out there. The acting is solid. The action is solid as well. The technology and future logic decisions are as good as you're going to get with any TV show. Karl Urban has the right amount of grit, but also some funny moments as he learns to work with his partner.

Sure, maybe they could make titanium Robocop type cops, but maybe they use those heavily armored, non-human like robots for the military. I'd like to think they keep the friendlier, more human, (and more disposable) androids for the police department. The type of androids who serve and protect humans and have to interact with humans on more human level. Police work is more than just shooting and killing. It's easier to relate to a human looking android than an armored machine.

It's better than most series on network TV today, and at least it isn't written for teenagers or about pretty vampires and other monsters who aren't scary, who are all too cool for anything near believability, logic, or intelligent dialogue.
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    I've just finished watching the pilot. It was better than i expected. The actors are great and the storyline keeps me interested. I hope it can continue on this good way.
  7. Dec 12, 2013
    Though I have seen this idea before, I like the characters and their interactions. Just enough in the future to make the setting interesting. I'll keep on watching.
  8. Dec 16, 2013
    It's been excellent so far!
    Everything is solid, the effects are great, the characters are charismatic and it has a good dose of humour!
    I foresee good things for this.
  9. Dec 3, 2013
    This show is by far the best thing to hit the TV this fall. Special effects are Top notch for a television show. Karl Urban is great as usual and I really like the chemistry him and his android partner are developing. If you are looking for something with action, humor and a good sci-fi storyline.....watch this show!!!!!!!
  10. Dec 10, 2013
    Love this fast paced show. The banter between the two leads is extremely well written and the chemistry between these two actors is amazing. The other thing I like, this show isn't a remake nor a spinoff. It's unique and so far, completely entertaining.
  11. Dec 23, 2013
    A great show, JJ Abrams has another winner. Neat character personalities. Michael Ealy is a smart, really likable character. The Sci-Fi content is well done.
  12. Feb 3, 2014
    This is the type of show that I could live off of for years to come.
    This may seem silly, but the show brings me into its world and out of this one, which is plagued by depression and symptoms of PTSD.

As a Marine combat veteran, I approve this show!!

It's greatness and multifaceted content is what we need. There is nothing else like this on TV.
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    Awesome show, at least so far. Very charming leads, and while I don't normally watch procedurals the sci-fi elements and great acting draw me in. I'm sure it will also become something as beloved as Fringe was, and with the creator behind that working on it, along with JJ Abrams executive producing, Almost Human is something I will be watching for a while.
  14. Nov 29, 2013
    A derivative show that is done extremely well. I will admit that the pilot left me a bit cold but I decided to stick with the show for a few more episodes. Episode three, "Are you Receiving", was particularly well written with well-paced action and suspense. I know, you can imagine Bruce Willis lurking around every corner, but this episode was excellent nonetheless.

The leads, Karl

The leads, Karl Urban as the human detective and Michael Ealy as Dorian, the robot detective have matured very well into their parts. Particularly, I think Mr. Ealy has done a remarkable job of putting the "human" into "Almost Human".
  15. Apr 25, 2014
    PLEASE renew Almost Human for a Season 2. Any networks out there listening this show has a huge fan base and there are no other shows close to this story line. There are so many Vampire, Werewolves, Supernatural and your regular cop crime shows, but none that are really futuristic working with robots as their partners. The characters are strong, acting excellent, story lines great andPLEASE renew Almost Human for a Season 2. Any networks out there listening this show has a huge fan base and there are no other shows close to this story line. There are so many Vampire, Werewolves, Supernatural and your regular cop crime shows, but none that are really futuristic working with robots as their partners. The characters are strong, acting excellent, story lines great and it is action packed, This show is far from boring and deserves a second chance at a season 2! I'm going to be really disappointed if FOX doesn't renew Almost Human :( PLEASE!!! Any Almost Human fans out there get the word out, rate or write a review lets get ourselves heard. Expand
  16. Feb 10, 2014
    I only hope FOX see sense and keep this gum on the air, to many shows have been cancelled before they have time to shine. Let this one be a win for us sci-fi nerds out there.
  17. Nov 22, 2013
  18. Jan 14, 2014
    I love this show! Love the DRN, his personality and all the little touches (gadgets, etc.) the producers take to make it convincingly futuristic. Hope to see more "off-duty" interaction between his flat-mate in his new living situation soon!
  19. Mar 4, 2014
    The critic rating of this show is sinful and exposes a deep divide between viewers and critics. If you don't like sci-fi because it's sci-fi, then you won't like this show. Otherwise read on. It starts out a bit shaky and plastic, but by mid season is in full stride and it's charm begins to shine through. It doesn't break any real new ground in terms of science fiction lore - but notThe critic rating of this show is sinful and exposes a deep divide between viewers and critics. If you don't like sci-fi because it's sci-fi, then you won't like this show. Otherwise read on. It starts out a bit shaky and plastic, but by mid season is in full stride and it's charm begins to shine through. It doesn't break any real new ground in terms of science fiction lore - but not everyone can be Greg Bear - and honestly, mass consumption may not be ready for ground breaking sci-fi (take the end of A.I. for example - which left most of the audience confused or angry because they thought aliens came). Also, at the end of the day, good sci-fi knows that it's only time that it's changing - the rest, the people and the drama, is the same. There are some mistakes made - for example one episode centers around bionic transplants while another features an organic printer . . . (they make some weak mention of organs not being printable. . but seriously we're already printing organs) . The script is well put together in terms of character depth and dialogue. The mood is light and bright. the over-all experience makes you feel good without being too optimistic. I personally appreciate that the writers seem to be staying clear of any overt messages and are taking a more altruistic approach. If you're a fan of sci-fi you know that this is difficult and should be applauded. Finally - my gripes:
    1. Please get the episodes to be serialized.
    2. Please get off of the "case by case" formula. You've got a smart audience - use it.
    3. Please stop the CSI plastic aesthetic. The future will look like people live there. There need to be more props, more clutter and more to look at on the sets. Cops are pigs - or rather - they're very busy and underfunded.
    In other words, this show mixed with "The Killing" would be my favorite thing ever.

One last note to a previous reviewer - people will be using ballistic weapons for a very long time. This show does a very good job of accurately dating the tech - a very difficult thing to do - if you can accept mass produced androids with souls as being just 30 years out that is.
  20. Feb 4, 2014
    This is a good show period. It has a big time hollywood quality main actor, great special effects, intruiging action that isn't over the top, an extremely well done aproximation of what the near future could look like, and it has a great dynamic on screen relationship / interaction between the main character and his android partner.

Between the high quality of the show and the way it

Between the high quality of the show and the way it approaches things with just the right amount of action, long term story arch mixed with single episode plots, character development and discussing "AI vs. soul" issues a la Ghost In The Shell, this is one of the best shows I have come across in a long time.

If you like things, watch this show. If you like stuff, you should watch this how. And if you like things, stuff AND Sci fi, then you should definitely watch this show. :P
  21. Dec 19, 2013
    Unlike most new sci-fi shows in the last 2 years, Almost Human is actually pretty good. The budget is clearly there as the future looks sleek and believable, with tons of cool tech. The acting is good, and the two leading characters are interesting and have great chemistry. The writing is good, and the show successfully explores the big question of how we should treat robots as equals orUnlike most new sci-fi shows in the last 2 years, Almost Human is actually pretty good. The budget is clearly there as the future looks sleek and believable, with tons of cool tech. The acting is good, and the two leading characters are interesting and have great chemistry. The writing is good, and the show successfully explores the big question of how we should treat robots as equals or as inferior machines. Only negative things to say is that the supporting cast is weak, and the show could use a stronger overall story/direction. Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2014
    Almost Human might be America's most Sci-Fi, Sci-fi series not taking place in outer space to date, much like Canada's Continuum and the UK's Primeval. Almost Human is very much like an I, Robot or Surrogates (2008) TV series, taking place in the near-far future where police are required to partner up with an MX android. Accurate, precise, super strong, expendable and stupid. The showAlmost Human might be America's most Sci-Fi, Sci-fi series not taking place in outer space to date, much like Canada's Continuum and the UK's Primeval. Almost Human is very much like an I, Robot or Surrogates (2008) TV series, taking place in the near-far future where police are required to partner up with an MX android. Accurate, precise, super strong, expendable and stupid. The show focuses on detective John Kennex (Karl Urban) who becomes partenered with an older model android, the DRN (Michael Early). the DRN, Dorian, belonged to a line that was discontinued due to emotional unstability. Unlike the MX's, incapable of original thought, the DRNs are fully humanoid androids, capable of philosophical thought and intellect that surpasses their human counterparts.

The series has extremely strong character development which is a strong point of the series. It boasts amazing CG, a strong budget, good action choreography and isn't afraid of dark plotlines. It is a procedural drama, bringing a new case each week touching on highly interesting technology related crimes. A must see for any sci-fi fan out there.
  23. Dec 23, 2013
    The effects are awesome, (although ironically, the weapons seem way low tech by the weapons that have been in movies these days), the stories are well written implementing the use of future technology to create dramatic issues in 2048. Its been a long time coming for something in the cyberpunk, Blade-runner, Minority Report, AI type genre. My only complaint... Karl Urban is not the rightThe effects are awesome, (although ironically, the weapons seem way low tech by the weapons that have been in movies these days), the stories are well written implementing the use of future technology to create dramatic issues in 2048. Its been a long time coming for something in the cyberpunk, Blade-runner, Minority Report, AI type genre. My only complaint... Karl Urban is not the right actor for the part, he looks kind of cool, but. Acting wise, imagine these actors in Kennex's (Urban's) role: Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise, etc... These guys would blow us away and win Emmy's for sure. I realize these guys are A-list actors and probably unaffordable, but b/c they're just a lot better at playing this kind of role, and we've seen them do it, they kind of ruin it for Urban. Karl was awesome in LOTR and Judge Dredd and Star Trek, but he's so awkward and inappropriate in this role, it makes it a bit hard to watch and it drags down the show. It is unfitting or un-matching with the show's great premise, story, and special effects. Urban simply seems like he doesn't know how to act in this role. Can't complain about Minka Kelly, she's too pretty, her role seems like it could be expanded to the benefit of the show, Lili Taylor is okay just okay but I need to see more, and Michael Ealy as Dorian is fine, he seems to fit the role. I like this show a lot and feel it has promise. I guess having just finished Breaking Bad, the casting was unbelievable...Bryan Cranston nails Mr. White, Aaron Paul is a flawless Jesse, Dean Norris is overwhelmingly charismatic, RJ Mitte is very well cast, Jonathan Banks, what an assassin....these actors, phenomenally lit their characters up...It seems, with all the special effects for Almost Human, they couldn't afford better to cast better actors. I want to keep watching this show. Please do something about these issues. Expand
  24. Nov 18, 2013
    A lot of cliches but done in compelling way. Solid acting, fair CGI and very good music so far (by Crystal Method). Not a big fan of Fox but even I have to raise my hat for their new tv-series this season.
  25. Nov 18, 2013
    Very entertaining first episode. Great visuals and likable characters. Some cheesy dialog at times but nothing too bad. Some funny exchanges as well. Overall, a refreshing show. I'll keep watching for sure.
  26. Nov 20, 2013
    The 2-day series premiere was fantastic and looks very promising. The show is very original and creative because theres no shows on right now that is set in a cyborg-type universe. The special FX were fairly good but needs some improvements. Karl Urban does a great acting job and very much fits the series. Overall great show and I look forward to future episodes.
  27. Nov 25, 2013
    When you can make an android that is convincing as a robot and/or a human you have success to me. Show combines the realism of cops and criminals with ideas from today, with technology you wouldn't always think about from the future. Very enjoyable so far.
  28. Dec 7, 2013
    This show is the only show I am currently watching and I love it. I love the whole concept and the combat and action. I wasn't a fan of Ep. 2 where it was just too much sci-fi for me and not enough action but besides that its a great show and I've loved every single episode so far. I think it has great potential.
  29. Dec 20, 2013
    Really like it. It's just what I've been wanting for a sci-fi TV series. It oddly reminds me of Stargate SG-1 but with only Teal'c and Colonel O'Neil, which is pretty sweet from what I can tell so far. There's the hard ass tough-cop-on-the-edge with his almost indestructible almost all knowing android partner with a soft side. Great combo. 10/10
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    though the story in each episode seems forced in some spots, i really appreciate the relationship between the cop duo. I like the visuals, alright fighting scenes. What gives this show a 8 instead of a 7 from is Karl Urban he really makes this show go with his acting.

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    The pilot (only the first hour was sent for review) is well made with strong leads and several intriguing hooks. Almost Human is almost there.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Nov 18, 2013
    Urban and Ealy are competent in their roles, damaged spirits destined to become brothers of a sort, not if, but only when.... While some viewers will be oblivious to the show’s racial politics, others will struggle to find a point. Somebody at Fox short-circuited.
  3. Reviewed by: Lesley Smith
    Nov 18, 2013
    If the premise intrigues you, watch or rewatch Blade Runner instead, and offer Almost Human the all-too-human body swerve.