Almost Royal : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
6.2

1. Jun 29, 2014
    This show is absurd, and not in a good way. I could almost feel my brain draining out of my head as I watched it.

Comedies are often an escape for those who watch them, but I know that I do not want to escape to any place that is showing Almost Royal. Indeed, Almost Royal is something to escape from.
  2. Jun 26, 2014
    rip off of a much funnier pilot I saw a few years back .. I have to write 150 characters here for a review but haven't got much more to say .. characters in the other one much funnier was it the writing or the actors? I dunno, but i remember thinking it was really really funny - this is not.
  3. Jul 20, 2014
    Better name is "Almost Watchable". The trailers usually tell the tale. This is no exception. The trailers are juvenile, poorly presented and an insult to the intelligence of the viewing audience. So very stereotypical in the presentation. Inane dialogue, repeating "have you come far..." over and over. The critics hail it as being spontaneous and funny. How is REPEATING the same old tiredBetter name is "Almost Watchable". The trailers usually tell the tale. This is no exception. The trailers are juvenile, poorly presented and an insult to the intelligence of the viewing audience. So very stereotypical in the presentation. Inane dialogue, repeating "have you come far..." over and over. The critics hail it as being spontaneous and funny. How is REPEATING the same old tired dialogue spontaneous.

The idea that they would not know which was the White House is an insult to our intelligence. Is every building in Britain Windsor Castle or Buckingham Palace? Does every clock tower house Big Ben?

The premise is idiotic and the dialogue pure drivel.

Whenever possible I will avoid the trailers. I definitely will NOT watch an entire episode.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Jun 23, 2014
    Fortunately, Gamble and Hoggart can be quite funny in their pretended confusion. Their strategies are sometimes too obvious, but often the humor takes a nicely absurdist turn.
  2. Reviewed by: Nancy DeWolf Smith
    Jun 23, 2014
    Most of the people [Ed Gamble and Amy Hoggart--who pose as Georgie and Poppy Carlton] encounter seem to believe they're being filmed with real British aristos on a travel-type show about the U.S. Their surprise--and polite attempts to hide it--at the things the visitors from England say is the funniest part of the show.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 20, 2014
    Gamble and Hoggart are credited as “per­formers” on the show and are also writers­ for the series, and their ability to ad-lib and play with anyone and every­one they come in contact with is a joy to watch, proof you can say almost anything to anyone, no matter how outrageous, so long as you maintain an air of innocence. Or stu­pidity.