• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 5, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.2

1. Feb 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. American Horror Story is back and there is more horror than ever! Instead of following in the footsteps of the Harmon family like the first season, which was brilliant, we are now taken to a 1960s Briarcliffe; a dark and cruel mental asylum where this year's horror is now taking place. This season shows us many horrors such as aliens, nazis, serial killers and demons, but it faces human problems like racism and other problems. The writing in this season is top-notch and is constantly unpredictable; you expect the season to go one way and it takes you into another. The acting is, as always, brilliant, especially from Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy, who are always fantastic at whatever role they portray. Lily Rabe's Sister Eunice was by-far my favourite character in the series; she had the ability to be completely unlikable and utterly lovable at the same time, and also was menacing and hilarious at the same time as well. Speaking of menacing, Zachary Quinto's Thredson (SPOILER! Who is later revealed to be Bloody Face; one of the main horrors this season) was utterly frightening and disturbing and whenever he made his presence on screen, fear as well as a grin will be brought out from viewers. All together; the acting and the characters were both great. All together, American Horror Story: Asylum is fantastic horror TV that outdoes the last amazing season; though viewers be warner this season will provide grotesque, graphic and shocking moments that will break the boundaries of TV...and that is why American Horror Story is amazing. Looking forward to the next season. Expand
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    Just like the first season this is a solid Horrr series, and while I think the first one has the upper hand it's only slightly as both are fantastic. Great to see a number of cast members back, and playing different roles also! It got slightly disjointed towards the end but I think it had a great final episode. Overall very impressive and I'm really looking forward to Season 3!
  3. Jun 12, 2013
    Much better that the first season. Plot amazing. Actors fabulous. Sarah paulson gorgeous. Jessica Lange does have my respect. This season is really in an other level than the first one. It is scary, entertaining and sexy in the same time. A good one. A must-watch
  4. Nov 4, 2014
    The second season of American Horror Story is titled Asylum. This season takes place in an insane asylum in the 1960s. This season focuses on possession, aliens, and brutal brutal serial killers.
    Asylum is the best season in my opinion.
    This season is more of a psychological mind **** After watching Sister Mary Eunice mount Monsignor Timothy Howard and ask him if it feels like a warm wet
    glove I needed to take a shower!!!! The second season is SO DARK, but it gives us real human emotions too. The acting (as always) is amazing. This season may be one of the greatest seasons in any television show. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2014
    This time they are more focusing on the visual horror aspect.The acting is good the plot is original and interesting and the scenario is well made.The cast is really good even if they are always taking the same actors.
  6. Nov 3, 2012
    The second season exceeds all expectations. There are no limits, everything's possible and no one's safe. All the actors deliver amazing performances (Jessica lange, Lily Rabe...). The addition of The Lovers couple from the present makes the show all more fun and exciting. The writers are so cruel to the characters and soon enough you'll start feeling bad about the worst ones.
  7. Feb 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love, Love this show it manges to capture a dark side of me the first season 7/10 the rest 10/10 the story lines are amazing and the quality of acting is great the current season 3 covers the true story off Mrs Delphine LaLaurie as cruel vile woman who is famous in New Orleans for her torture and cruelty towards slaves and the ancestors of her captives seeking revenge upon her the writer need to keep up the good work i learned a small piece of history watching this, the actors need to stay and continue the amazing job WATCH THIS NOW ! its booth entertaining and intriguing . Expand
  8. Oct 28, 2012
    If you thought that season one of this show was crazy, this season is bat**** crazy. The writers seem to be throwing all kinds of **** at the ceiling and seeing if any of it sticks.
  9. Jan 9, 2013
    Jessica Lange is no doubt the star of this show. She was, in my opinion, pretty much the sole stand out in season one but season two has also added the amazing actors of Lily Rabe, Sister Mary Eunice, and Sarah Paulson, Lana Winters. This season these three women are in a league of their own and make this season the best season so far.
  10. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Asylum starts out strong, trippy, and a bit disgusting (in a good way). Characters this season include many psychopaths, murderers, religious figures, doctors, aliens, and a mysterious "Bloody Face". I can't wait for each week's upcoming episode. Expand
  11. May 18, 2013
    It is highly disturbing and anti-religious in some scenes, it is of coarse very scary, sexy and clever, it is so intense and creepy, recommended and one of the greatest
  12. Jun 26, 2013
    Asylum is scary and disturbing, walking on the same tone of complex and fantasy, mixes science fiction with horror which is great, it is ten times scarier than the first, but less funnier, and short on the slow parts.
  13. Apr 19, 2014
    This season, on my opinion, is tied with Coven in terms of quality. It is a fun ride that I was completely on board with the entire time
    The concept is ones again rather cliché, as tends to be the case with American Horror Story. This being said, the magnificent cast does a lot to make it come alive. Jessica Lange makes an insane nun really come alive, and her character's interactions
    with James Cromwell's Doctor Arden are some of the highlights of the early season. Sarah Paulson takes a huge starring role when compared to the pervious season and completely pulls through. Lily Rabe and Zachary Quinto steal the show, though I won't say why as that could be a minor spoiler. Along with this, Evan Peters and Lizzie Brocheré nail there roles.
    The plot of the season is strong. It is a tale of corruption and violence, with human elements mixed throughout. One of the best things this season does is have both modern and past timelines (with the focus being on the past), drawing parallels that created a strong overarching story arch. This season is not always as outright horrific as the first season in content, but is amazing in how tense the atmosphere constantly is. Though it seems slightly cheap, the season gives itself an easy out/justification that becomes apparent rather quickly within the show, though it is done with enough grace to be valid.
    This season is the most disturbing in terms of content, thought that does not always mean outright horrific. Still, this is one of the best casts that the season has ever had and the plot makes sure to bring the audience along for one amazing roller-coaster.
  14. Oct 18, 2012
    This season is going to be a very fun ride! Jessica Lange is fabulous as always, the other returning cast members seem to be doing well with their new roles, and while after the premiere it does seem like a hodgepodge of different spooky story lines, there is no doubt that the show won't stop being one of the most entertaining things on television.
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    Si la primer temporada te gusto esta te va a encantar. Ahora es mucho mas psicológico metiendo a extraterrestres y un final no esperado a pesar de no tuvo tantos giros como la primer temporada pero su historia y personajes hicieron de "Asylum" una gran temporada.espero con ansias la tercer temporada.
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    I loved this season a bit more than the first one (which I rated as 8 out of 10). The actors delivered perfectly, the story was thrilling up until the two final episodes where it got a little confusing. But the whole thing made me grin so many times and it was so fun that I had to give this season 9 point. And the final line was creepy and amazing at the same time, making the finale absolutely memorable. Expand
  17. Dec 22, 2013
    Halfway through this season and I'm scared outta my mind. The friggen beginning is scary too lol.
    Super good and amazing actors. The horror, gore, twist and turns, it's "insane" pun intended.
    Very good and crazy show.
  18. Sep 24, 2014
    The second season is the best, really, the first is too weak and the third is to confused, i hope now with freakshow That We have other best season, cause this season all have to be the BEST
  19. Nov 15, 2012
    Good script, tight direction and editing, and an anti-hero sycophant's feast! Love it because it takes subject matter that lends itself to caricature, farce and camp absurdity and elevates it above the B grade refuse that passes for drama these days. Critics will eviscerate it simply because of the title, but their ignorant disdain for an original and captivating series is irrelevant. Enjoy!
  20. Dec 13, 2012
    American Horror Story: Asylum is hands down, the best dramatic show on TV. Very fresh, fast paced, entertaining, surprising with great acting, ballsy script writing, great direction, and cinematography. All other dramas on TV are garbage when compared to this monumentally amazing show. Jessica Lange is amazing, but where is the nominations for everyone else on the show?! I feel like all other shows on TV have no balls, and don't take any risks. Asylum has a very awesome sense of twisted humor. AHSA can be quite frightening, but in a very excitingly chilling way. A MUST WATCH! Expand
  21. Nov 16, 2012
    American Horror Story is one of the best horror series i watched. First season was awesome,and second season is even better. Nice work,and keep it up.
  22. Aug 25, 2013
    Evan Peters's performance is awesome! The rest of the casting too, but Peters 10, the expression of the face, the naturalness, the 1st chapter too :P. I'm so excited to see the 3rd season.
  23. Dec 29, 2013
    I do not have much detail to give about this review but I was compelled to write a review. It hit me very emotionally and the characters felt real. I do not watch television/movies very often because I have never been very impressed but this season changed it for me. It made me feel different about my life after watching it, I felt legitimately happy and sad during parts. I cried during the last episode; it tied the whole season together VERY well. This is my all time favorite display of media; books, movies, stories, all of it. It can be very graphic but it adds to the realism of the story. I felt though as I had watched a movie or read a book, but I understand why it is a TV series. The emotion could not be captured in simply two hours. Expand
  24. Feb 8, 2014
    Season 2 was way better than season 1. It was really captivating and wasn't "scary." There are some creepy parts, but nothing that would give somebody nightmares.
  25. Jun 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season ( compared to season 1 ) is heavy.
    I absolutely loved it, so many things i didn't expect at all!
    The casting is amazing, great actors, all of them...
    American horror story is my favorite series ever.

The season is totally different from the first one, at first there's a lot of things confusing me, but when finishing the season it all comes clear perfectly.
    I do have to say that Lana turned out completely different than how I imagined, and that what she did in the last episode to johnny, i didn't think she should've done that...

Anyway, i loved the season, and altough it was familiar to a lot of different movies and series, i think the concept idea was great
  26. Aug 31, 2014
    This is the season where everything clicks. Very few shows can pull off comedy, drama and suspense. American Horror Story: Season 2 does all of this flawlessly and adds horror to the mix. I was taken on a journey that comes just a few times in life.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Nov 1, 2012
    Does it add up to a coherent whole? Impossible to say so far. Asylum is, in its opening episodes, more energetic and impishly funny than its predecessor.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 25, 2012
    It's dark, big-top sadism, and we wait for a story to emerge. [5 Nov 2012, p.41]
  3. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Oct 17, 2012
    Like a good scare? How about a bad scare? Or a thousand scares, good and bad and crazy? Season 2 of "American Horror Story," subtitled Asylum, is for you.