American Horror Story : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 5, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.1

1. Mar 10, 2017
    American Horror Story is one of my favorite TV shows on air, and probably one of my favorites of all time. Ryan Murphy really goes there with everything he does, and gives it everything he's got. He loves to implement a shock factor and makes everything creepy fun. While some seasons have suffered, most have lived up to the hype. My favorite seasons are Murder House (1) and Coven (3).American Horror Story is one of my favorite TV shows on air, and probably one of my favorites of all time. Ryan Murphy really goes there with everything he does, and gives it everything he's got. He loves to implement a shock factor and makes everything creepy fun. While some seasons have suffered, most have lived up to the hype. My favorite seasons are Murder House (1) and Coven (3). Honestly, I really enjoyed My Roanoke Nightmare (6) as well, while most people did not. The actors in this show are also top notch. You fall in love with each one of them and the many different characters they take on. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2016
    Decent tv show but its so sexist its almost unwatchable at times. First season was basically bitter women hating men. If you can trudge through the bigotry theirs a good show but would you watch a show that said n i g g e r every 10 min because the other 9 min was good?
  3. Oct 20, 2016
    One of the best shows that has aired across FX, is American Horror Story. The first season pushed emotional and mental boundaries. It plays with your biggest fears and brings them to life. This season revolved around a house later named “Murder House”. The Murder House is the house of your nightmares. People in the house are trying to kill the main characters and their fight to surviveOne of the best shows that has aired across FX, is American Horror Story. The first season pushed emotional and mental boundaries. It plays with your biggest fears and brings them to life. This season revolved around a house later named “Murder House”. The Murder House is the house of your nightmares. People in the house are trying to kill the main characters and their fight to survive lasts the entire season. Even though each episode makes me even more scared than the last, I keep hitting the next episode button.
    The first episode starts off with a little girl standing in front of the house. When two boys walk up to the house swinging baseball bats, she tells them that they are going to die in there. The two boys told her to shut up and walked into the house. Once inside, they started vandalizing the main level, then the door to the basement suddenly swings open. They both decide to explore the basement and walk down together. On the way down to the basement one of the boys started throwing down firecrackers. In the basement, they see jars full of body parts, courtesy of the very first owners, and start to get a little scared. The one who wasn’t throwing firecrackers heads upstairs but stops suddenly when he hears silence. He turns back around to go search for his brother. When he finds his brother, his body is covered in scratches. When he turns around to run back upstairs he sees the person that killed his brother and screamed in terror.
    The rest of the season is centered around Vivian Harmon, her husband Ben, and their daughter, Violet. After Vivian had a miscarriage, she catches her husband cheating. Ben and Vivian decide to move to California in hopes of rekindling their love. Once they moved into their house, strange things started happening. Ben is a psychologist so he can move anywhere and still get clients. One of his clients, Tate Langdon, who instantly falls in love with Violet, gets more sessions with Ben so he can see her more often. There is only one problem with Tate; he is dead and is stuck in the house. On the outside Tate is nice, sweet and compassionate, but he also has an evil side. Tate died because he went to school and started to shoot people. After he shot them he went home. The SWAT team was called, they came to his house, and they shot him. Throughout the first season the Harmons fight to stay alive and get out of the house.
    This first season alone has a lot of characters, but they find a way to make it work. Each character has a different story and each story interacts and are woven together perfectly. Every character brings you deeper and deeper into the story making you want more and more.
    The cast was stacked in the first season. You have Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Jessica Lange, Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Taissa Farmiga, Zachary Quinto, Frances Conroy, and Denis O’Hare. One of the bigger stars in this group is Jessica Lange. She is one of the most talented actresses ever. Her most notorious role was in the 1976 version of King Kong. Her acting skills are top notch. In Murder House she plays Tate’s mother, Constance. She didn’t understand why her son shot those people so she asked Ben to have sessions with him. She often visits the house to see her son Tate and another son that she killed named Bo. During this season she tries to get the Harmons to leave the house, she loses a daughter, and she gains a grandchild.
    The emotions that these actor bring are the level of acting that make you feel like you are right there with them on screen. On the other hand, this doesn’t mean that the storyline is believable. Throughout the season they try to leave the house but because of their financial situation they are stuck in the house. When they try to sell the house no one wants to buy it nor do any realtors want to sell it. There is only one realtor that is willing to try but that is the realtor that sold them the house.
    With Vivien and Ben focusing all of their attention on the house and the new babies on the way, they start to forget about Violet. They didn’t even notice that she hasn’t been going to school for three straight weeks. Another bad part about AHS is the fact that they only have 13 episodes per season. Those episodes are filled tight with information. Each time you learn more about a character or even a new character. You even go back in time to see what happened to each character and why they are stuck in the house.
    Overall this show is amazingly fantastic. It will captivate you from episode 1 to episode 13. It will give you new fears and make your old ones seem ten times worse.
  4. Oct 18, 2016
    In the sixth season of the hit FX tv show, American Horror Story, the story is set in a North Carolina farmhouse. The teasers and trailers of this unknown season theme can be summed up into one word: creepy. The characters are introduced in a documentary type way, where the events are re-enacted by other people. The show’s main characters are a young married couple named Shelby (SarahIn the sixth season of the hit FX tv show, American Horror Story, the story is set in a North Carolina farmhouse. The teasers and trailers of this unknown season theme can be summed up into one word: creepy. The characters are introduced in a documentary type way, where the events are re-enacted by other people. The show’s main characters are a young married couple named Shelby (Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe) and Matt (Cuba Gooding Jr. and Andre Holland). After Matt listens to Shelby’s continuous complaints of not feeling safe in the house and hearing strange noises at night, Matt’s former-cop, recently sober sister, Lee (Angela Bassett and Adina Porter), comes to stay with them. For Shelby this may be about protections but I think it may prove as a bigger problem later in the season.
    As for the season’s content, I feel it is a nightmare as well as a history lesson as the characters also start to learn about the ancient colony of Roanoke, which may be the root cause of the house’s many problems. I find it interesting because the show goes back and forth between the re-enactments of the story, the character interviews, and now flashbacks to the colonial times and what might have happened at Roanoke. This might get a little confusing at times but all and all fits the format of the season thus far. American Horror Story’s sixth season, “My Roanoke Nightmare,” lives up to the name, feeling as if it’s right out of your worst nightmares yet leaves you wanting more. It is truly well imagined, although the characters may be far-fetched and the events somewhat unbelievable, it works with the idea of the story and makes you want to hide under the covers.
    By well imagined, I mean that the characters in this show fit well together, with Shelby’s paranoia and Matt’s comforting way about it. Lee trying to be tough as nails but is actually terrified of the house she’s living in. I think it does a very good job of being realistic in how someone would feel in this situation. I can also relate well with Shelby because I get very paranoid being alone in my house and thinking someone or something is in my house with me. I may not actually living through this like her character is, but I understand some of what she is feeling. The setting of this farmhouse is a creepy as the events, placed in the middle of desolate woods with the closest neighbors being miles away. The house itself is large and barren, with just three people living in the house, it leaves many empty rooms and spaces where noises can be heard and creepy things can happen. This, paired with the suspicious past of the house, makes for a horror film setting.
    Throughout American Horror Story, the theme and storyline has changed in each season. It seems each season is creepier and more gruesome than the last. Each season has been linked to an important and or creepy time in American History, for example season 3, “Coven”, is strongly linked to the Salem Witch Trials, but season 4, “Freak show”, was set in the time period when the Circus was very popular. I like that the theme changes, it’s not predictable like other shows with consistent plots. You don’t know what the show is going to be about this season, and you don’t know what route the season might take.
    In conclusion, season 6 of American Horror Story is very well done. It fits the mold of the rest of the seasons with it’s strong links to American history, while still being creepy and leaving you on the edge of your seat. The first 5 seasons are located on Netflix, so go check it out if you like gore mixed in to your standard history lesson.
  5. Sep 24, 2016
    Even though its creativity can match up to its talented actors Jessica Lange, Connie Britton, and Zachary Quinto, there was no exceptional story line to it.
  6. Sep 12, 2016
    The first season of American Horror Story (now known as 'Murder House' in the anthology of the series) is incredibly fun and wildly entertaining. With its well-developed characters, strong performances, clever writing, and stylised production, this debut season makes for great tension-filled viewing. As someone who has been watching American Horror Story since it first aired in 2011, thisThe first season of American Horror Story (now known as 'Murder House' in the anthology of the series) is incredibly fun and wildly entertaining. With its well-developed characters, strong performances, clever writing, and stylised production, this debut season makes for great tension-filled viewing. As someone who has been watching American Horror Story since it first aired in 2011, this season is a fantastic introduction to the series and is still one of the best seasons in the series. Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2016
    Has interesting concepts and themes that catch the viewer's attention. The actors do a fantastic job with portraying round characters. I definitely recommend.
  8. Feb 24, 2016
    I am consolidating all 5 seasons into 1 review.

I am consolidating all 5 seasons into 1 review.

Let me 1st say that seasons 1 and 2 deserve a solid 8/10 and 7/10 respectively. They were very good and I enjoyed them very much. Then things started to go downhill... The 1st season was full of suspense and the acting was great. The second season continues the high quality even though it had more cliches than the 1st. Still it was a good from start to end.

The witches in season 3 were okay but I felt like the season dragged on for too long with almost nothing happening for several episodes.

The 4th season was just plain bad. It was filled with cliches, the characters were not interesting in any way, the acting felt forced and it was soooooo slow. I couldnt watch the last 5 episodes and ended up fast forwarding through them just to get to the ending only to realize that I just didnt care.

Then came season 5 and I had to put a fork in it. I couldnt get past episode 5 before laying this series to rest. The Hotel season is not just boring, but it felt like I was watching the same episode 5 times. Nothing happens in any of them and the scenes all look similar. Sex, blood, and murder and that its. The season feels very cheap going for boring shock value over plot and characterization.

Give it a shot, if for only the first 3 seasons. You can try the last 2 seasons but they were really bad.
  9. Feb 8, 2016
    Ok, although I do not love horror, I do LOVE the thrill from watching this show! Surprisingly, I do not get that scared when watching because it includes extraterrestrials and witches. However, it still has very realistic components. Here is my my favorite season to my least favorite season: Coven, Hotel, Asylum, Freak Show, Murder House. Unlike most shows, American Horror Story just keepsOk, although I do not love horror, I do LOVE the thrill from watching this show! Surprisingly, I do not get that scared when watching because it includes extraterrestrials and witches. However, it still has very realistic components. Here is my my favorite season to my least favorite season: Coven, Hotel, Asylum, Freak Show, Murder House. Unlike most shows, American Horror Story just keeps getting better. If you are a teenage girl like me, you will find Coven to be the best because it is based on teenage girls who learn to control with their witch powers. This season also deals with slavery, resurrection, immortal subjects, and romance. Expand
  10. Jan 29, 2016
    If you're unfamiliar with American Horror Story, allow me to explain the entire show to you. Each season is a new independent story with exclusive characters, but the same cast. There is always a different supernatural origin for the magical happenings. This relatively understated premise is the only coherent thing about the show, however.

The tone of the story varies widely from scene

The tone of the story varies widely from scene to scene, going from what is trying to be abject horror to flip teen comedy. The scariest parts aren't scary, the funniest parts aren't funny, and in fact, usually these feelings are switched with one another. Parts that are supposed to be horrific are often unintentionally hilarious like you're watching an improv show, and parts that are supposed to be comedic are cringeworthy, like a trip to a fan fiction website.

The brunt of the acting work is done by Taissa Farmiga, who is always the same angsty teenager, Evan Peters, who is always the same angsty teenager, and Jessica Lange, who looks like Bruce Jenner because they had the same plastic surgeries, all three of whom are of the caliber of a weekly patient on House, M.D. Other actors come and go - mostly has-beens with one-shot shows from the 1990s or 2000s. I believe in the cast, and trust that they could be award-winning given the right script - but they are not given the right script, and rarely have been, thus their presence on this show.

Politically, the show commonly has an LGBT agenda, reaching out to closeted types who don't have anyone in real life to share themselves with. This social justice objective is somewhat undermined by various ham-fisted attempts at being Stephen King: straw-man bigoted characters are presented, but the plots often unintentionally are bigoted themselves (for example Gabourey Sidibe's character in "Coven" loves fried chicken; Jamie Brewer's presence and ability on the show are in direct contrast to her constant portrayal as a weirdo played up for horrific effect). The result is a "layered" presentation of gender issues as in Glee: a somewhat unbelievable, hackneyed middle ground between acceptance and hypocrisy.

One aspect of note about the show is that the cinematography and direction, such as they are, are pretty good. The whole thing is well-shot and locations are rather attractive and memorable. Sadly, the writing is horribly embarrassing, to the point of comedy.

I vote that the series be renamed to, "American Horrible Story."
  11. Jan 16, 2016
    American horror story season one was absolutely outstanding until the last few episodes which were tragically boring .
  12. Jan 11, 2016
    Murder House starts one of the greatest horror shows on television right now with lots of sex, gore and awesome scares. The many characters and plot lines make the first season a little difficult to follow, but the final few episodes tie them all together well.
  13. Jan 5, 2016
    Looking back Season1 is what got me into the show. I love Coven and Freakshow, but I think Season1 is where it's at. Perfect place to start if you want to get sucked into AHS. You'll end up watching all the seasons..trust me.
  14. Dec 21, 2015
    This season is the most gothic of all the others. It's also bloody, dramatic, sexy and scary. Definitely is in second place on my list of best season of American Horror Story.
  15. Nov 3, 2015
    I was and I still am a huge fan of American Horror Story. I enjoyed every little piece of every season. If Murder House had a powerful classy theme with representative characters, Asylum had the darkest and the closest figure to what the title would mean, besides the mistery and effects and, of course, along with Freak Show which had an ambitious and more realistic theme, I cannot seeI was and I still am a huge fan of American Horror Story. I enjoyed every little piece of every season. If Murder House had a powerful classy theme with representative characters, Asylum had the darkest and the closest figure to what the title would mean, besides the mistery and effects and, of course, along with Freak Show which had an ambitious and more realistic theme, I cannot see anything spectacular in the fifth season. Not so much of a mistery, acting is blended and unbalanced. The visuals are still entertaining and the story is going in a good way but straight and simple. It misses almost everythink that in the past, The American Horror Story franchise was known for, as different from classic dramas and horror movies. I really appreciate the effort they put in every aspect, but this ' huge innovation ' turned out to be a mistake.

Pros:

- Likeable story
    - Iconic characters
    - Fantastic setting, visual and effects

Cons:
    - Blended acting
    - Lack of ambition
    - No veteran actors ( Jessica Lange, Gabourey Sibide )
    - No originality
    - The mistery fades away in time.

All in all, a somehow enjoyable season, with some good elements, but, others, went down to ashes.
  16. Oct 13, 2015
    I first watched the pilot around 11:30am on 12th October 2015. Fourteen hours later, I watched the last scene of AMERICAN HORROR STORY'S first season. This show may be the single most addictive thing I've ever watched. It pulls you in with an intriguing pilot and from there comes a fantastic tale of a "MURDER HOUSE"... This is brilliantly acted, made, written - even if I was disappointedI first watched the pilot around 11:30am on 12th October 2015. Fourteen hours later, I watched the last scene of AMERICAN HORROR STORY'S first season. This show may be the single most addictive thing I've ever watched. It pulls you in with an intriguing pilot and from there comes a fantastic tale of a "MURDER HOUSE"... This is brilliantly acted, made, written - even if I was disappointed with the ending. Alas, I will be watching Asylum. It angers me how little the critics cared for this. Expand
  17. Oct 12, 2015
    parents, do not let your kids watch this crap. It is so blatantly disturbing and dark, why would you want to be exposed to that. How could a fine actress like Kathy Bates be a part of this? I love a good scary movie, but this is bullcrap. Take it off the air.
  18. Oct 11, 2015
    Simply Fabulous. It does not get any better then this. Must see it.!! Lady GaGa is Fabulous !!! Bates is unreal as always. Lady GaGa's Lover is Amazing!!!
  19. Oct 10, 2015
    every single season is a whole new concept that is really brilliant, sometimes in the beginning of the newest season it gets confusing but while the episodes came out everything make sense.
    If you look for something scary, dark, twisted & hot, you are in the right place
  20. Oct 9, 2015
    I don't know where to start because this is too horrible to be explained, first of all they choose a pop star who makes music since she came out in the media and with no acting experience she gets a main role in a tv show, I don't know where to begin with her acting, she was acting bad but trying to be fashionable to cover up her bad acting, without her fans the views will be even lowerI don't know where to start because this is too horrible to be explained, first of all they choose a pop star who makes music since she came out in the media and with no acting experience she gets a main role in a tv show, I don't know where to begin with her acting, she was acting bad but trying to be fashionable to cover up her bad acting, without her fans the views will be even lower that it is, but the show would be better if they replaced Gaga with Jessica Lange Expand
  21. Oct 8, 2015
    Intense, sexual and gothic, Murder House is my second favorite season of American Horror Story and one of his best. The representativeness of the young audience with Taissa Farmiga and Evan Peters was excellent, and performances like Jessica Lange, Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott and Jamie Brewer draw attention.
  22. Oct 7, 2015
    I must admit, this first episode was absolutely fantastic. I will most definitely stay tuned throughout the entire season. Great performances by all cast, including their newest member - Lady Gaga. She surprised me in her abilities to convince and captivate her audience. I am looking forward to seeing how the plot will unfold.
  23. Sep 23, 2015
    Got to get it out there so nobody makes my mistake.. I watched the first episode a while ago and didnt think anythng of it. Never watched it again until a few months later (last couple days) and boy do i regret not sticking with it. Such an amazing dark story with great acting, and teriffic characters, i would have gave it a ten but at one moment i was too shocked and creeped out by it iGot to get it out there so nobody makes my mistake.. I watched the first episode a while ago and didnt think anythng of it. Never watched it again until a few months later (last couple days) and boy do i regret not sticking with it. Such an amazing dark story with great acting, and teriffic characters, i would have gave it a ten but at one moment i was too shocked and creeped out by it i wasnt sure if it was a good thing.
    I hear each season is a different story and characters with the same actors so im looking forward to starting season 2!! Highly reccommend as i have just finished it :)
  24. Sep 18, 2015
    Great show, solid acting, memorable characters each season, and a strong story that benefits from its isolated season arcs, which means that someone can choose any season they want to start out with. the pacing is good and keeps you hooked and satisfied.
  25. Sep 11, 2015
    INCREDIBLE!!!!
    Really, it couldn't get better, even knowing this one it's my least favourite season. Now you can imagine how good it is, baby, just do it.
  26. May 29, 2015
    This is the worst season of AHS. I just hate haunted house stories, its just dumb and not scary. Still this season could be ok but after 6-7 episodes the ammount of ghosts in this house was just ridiculous, and the plot got weaker every episode.
  27. Apr 28, 2015
    Season 1 , Excellent . Season 2 , even better . Season 3 , just awful & other than Jessica Lange's performance the Coven was trite & frankly, stupid.
    I pray for season 4 to be an improvement but I'm worried .
    I wish I could leave a 10 but I was so disappointed by the Coven that I can't.
  28. Apr 16, 2015
    "American Horror Story: Murder House" is a great piece of television. It's creepy, it's shocking, it's sexy- it's everything you want in a television show... and more!
    The storytelling gets a bit jumbled half-way through, but, only by a bit, thankfully.

"Murder House" is great, but, it definitely isn't for everyone. Especially for those who can't take the sheer craziness of sexy maid ghosts, rubber rapists, school shootings, deformed babies, and cheating spouses!
  29. Mar 15, 2015
    Murder house was a pretty big suprise for me, i wasnt sure what I was going to get from the show, but I got to say I was not disappointed. All though towards the end of the season it did start moving a little slower but than it got better at the end.
  30. Jan 27, 2015
    I couldn't watch this, like i really tried. Editinf was so awful it really put me off and the plot seemed so convoluted to try be a "crazy" story that it just seems boring and stupid. Props for tryingg to make an actual scary tv show, but i find this show kinda lazy. Never got past season 1 but may try season 2 soon if i can. It seems in a way more like girly horror than actual genuineI couldn't watch this, like i really tried. Editinf was so awful it really put me off and the plot seemed so convoluted to try be a "crazy" story that it just seems boring and stupid. Props for tryingg to make an actual scary tv show, but i find this show kinda lazy. Never got past season 1 but may try season 2 soon if i can. It seems in a way more like girly horror than actual genuine horror. The Babadook is genuine horror. Everyone knows almost every teenage female likes horrors and so this is a good medium for them to chat about them. I will probably get feministic hate for that comment but thw matter of fact is, it's true. Expand
  31. Jan 15, 2015
    The first two seasons, with the Haunted House and the Asylum, were a lot of fun. I think the third is boring but just my opinion.

I think most people who like horror stories and, like me, need something to get into on Netflix will like this. The plots are intricate and fun and I did not notice any gaping plot holes. The characters feel real enough. The darkness and horror is stimulating and feels like genuine human evil, not cartoonish crap that you too often see in horror movies.

In short, this is very engrossing and entertaining. I flew through 2 seasons in just a few nights as I could not wait to see what happens next.

One other short note: Children and those who are easily disturbed emotionally should not watch this; it is pretty intense.
  32. Jan 9, 2015
    Season 1 is one of my favorites. It's dark, it's witty, it actually feels like a show revolving around horror. It may be a giant mess of cliches that doesn't know what direction to go in, but this season is one of the most approachable and easiest to digest.
  33. Dec 30, 2014
    This TV series is bad, not scary and uninteresting. I'm wondering what's so good about this TV series. I realised that it was not as scary as the trailers described it. Overall, this TV series is horrible.
  34. Nov 21, 2014
    American horror story is a good show for the action the plot.The visual horror is not so present in this one.They are more focusing in the psychological horror and the thriller.The acting is good,the scenario too and the realisation.
  35. Nov 8, 2014
    Série rainha da TV atualmente, sou verdadeiro sinto muito. Além de possuir a suprema Jessica Lange no elenco ainda possui Sarah Paulson, Frances Conroy, Kathy Bates, Lily Rabe e Angela Bassett, é destruição de mais. Emmy 2015, lá vamos nós!
  36. Nov 4, 2014
    The first season of American Horror Story takes us through a house with a dark past. In the house there are the ghosts of the previous owners who have died in man gruesome ways. These ghosts haunt the new troubled family, the Harmons.
    American Horror Story "Murder House" is what I like to call classic horror. Its more of the classic scares, and its a classic haunted house storyline. This classic horror though is modernized with sexy subplots and great characters. American Horror Story season 1 offers great acting, a great story, and just an overall amazing season that will give you spine tingling chills.
  37. Oct 31, 2014
    Honestly the only season that was worth watching was 'Murder House' and 'Asylum'. The story is not as freaky as expected. Only 3 episodes this season, hope the rest are worth watching.
  38. Oct 22, 2014
    The most frightening and intriguing part of the show is the psychotic clown; the actual "Freak Show" is more or less a filler for the rest of the program.
    The core strength of AHS Freak Show is that the performers are the relatively "normal" ones, while the other townspeople are the "monsters."
    However, the most crippling part of Freak Show is the "extra treats" used to bring in the core demographic; blood and sex. Every episode so far has plenty of it. The clown shoving scissors through the back of someone's neck and decapitating him; the twins have a chat about masturbation; Lobster Boy is drafted by a group of women for his "talented hands"; etc. It's been done, and its mundane in the year 2014.
    If it's not already obvious, Dandy will likely be the white-faced, fanged clown that was depicted in the opening AHS Season 4 trailer.

Interesting format for the 4th season; considering other programs have been universally criticized for broadcasting on this topic.
  39. Oct 19, 2014
    I LOVED IT!!! At first I thought it was just about sex. But it ended up being something so much more. My mind was blown away by what I learned through out the story. I was hooked after the first episode. I can't wait to see the others.
  40. Oct 14, 2014
    American Horror story is my new favourite show. Nothing is expected. The story itself is a compelling story that draws your attention and the show has no 'boring bits'. I was intrigued the whole time watching it. So amazing, recommend to anyone!
  41. Oct 10, 2014
    I find clowns scary as hell. Can't wait for more! What about the David Bowie musical number? This is classic horror, mind blowing. I don't see how anyone can find it cliche and a waste of time.
  42. Oct 9, 2014
    The 2014 season is pitiful. Rather than introducing us to a cleverly written plot the show inundates us with unnecessary violence and sex during the first episode. This is the first season that I found myself annoyed by Jessica Lange. In all previous seasons she did a fantastic job. This season it feels like she is over acting and putting on a weak imitation of Meryl Streep with thatThe 2014 season is pitiful. Rather than introducing us to a cleverly written plot the show inundates us with unnecessary violence and sex during the first episode. This is the first season that I found myself annoyed by Jessica Lange. In all previous seasons she did a fantastic job. This season it feels like she is over acting and putting on a weak imitation of Meryl Streep with that awful German accent she is using. Expand
  43. Sep 30, 2014
    Первый сезон - настоящая находка для любителей ужасов. Мрачная атмосфера, пугающая заставка, интересный сюжет - все тут есть... Но на высокую оценку он все же не тянет.
  44. Jun 4, 2014
    I first started watching AMERICAN HORROR STORY when the first season came on TV. No one believed me that it was so interesting and captivating. There is a thick plot and you really have to pay attention to detail. It is hands-down my favorite TV show of all. Season one was unbeatable, then season two was also very good with an unpredictable story, then we have season three. season threeI first started watching AMERICAN HORROR STORY when the first season came on TV. No one believed me that it was so interesting and captivating. There is a thick plot and you really have to pay attention to detail. It is hands-down my favorite TV show of all. Season one was unbeatable, then season two was also very good with an unpredictable story, then we have season three. season three was horrible they could have taken coven like a baton in a relay race and ran with it, but sadly they did'nt. Coven was not your typical American Horror Story season. It was not what the typical AMHS fan would have hoped for. other than that I really love American Horror Story and hope that season four is better. Expand
  45. Apr 22, 2014
    American Horror Story is like a box of surprises, where you think you know what direction it will take, but is surprised by what really goes on. A mix of horror, suspense, an intelligent touch of humor and exaggeration that makes it special and worthy of being assisted.
  46. Apr 19, 2014
    This is overall the weakest season of American Horror Story, but is still extremely enjoyable.
    The acting in the show is pretty good, yet not great. It never reached the level of acting that existed in both Asylum and Coven, as actresses such as Jamie Brewer and Taissa Farmiga were still coming into their own during the filming of this season. This being said, Frances Conroy and Jessica Lange deliver some of the best performances on the show.
    The season's concept comes across as rather cliché. I mean, its a house where people die, its hard to get much less original. This being said, it is executed rather magnificently. The cast holds up the concept well and the flashbacks to previous owners of the house gives great context while being visually engaging. The character development is nailed in most every instance, and the ending of the season is marvelous in how open ended it was. I was still able to predict the majority of what was to happen within the season, though this did not do a ton to diminish its quality.
    Its an enjoyable season and great for a first. I would recommend this to most anyone, especially because it embraces the concept of 'horror' better than any of the other seasons.
  47. Apr 19, 2014
    This was a great season filled with drama, action, and of course horror. Although it's evident that in some of the episodes are meant to be scary, it doesn't deter from an excellent storyline with phenomenal acting.
  48. Apr 14, 2014
    Замечательный сериал, актеры, сценарий, спецэффекты, режиссура!
    Сериал о странной и в тоже время заворажуюющей любви.
  49. Mar 13, 2014
    A decent enough show and far more entertaining than I had first thought it would be.

I really did like the whole psychological horror angle with a touch of the supernatural. Not relying on CG and effect and focusing more on clever writing. However, it perhaps under plays this a bit too much fir the first half of the season and to be honest, I found it very boring at first. But from the second half onwards the show seemed to find its rhythm.

Decent enough performances from most of the cast, especially from Evan Peters and Jessica Lang who really steal the show.

Overall:
    While I wasn't completely blown away by the first season, I will continue to watch the show hoping they improve.

Side Note:
    If they are going to make a horror story around ghosts, they shouldn't be afraid to make them act a bit more ghost like. (The last few episodes, they seemed to get it, but for most of the earlier part of the show it felt a little cheap.) There isn't any harm in a little CG, if used sparingly and at the right moments.
  50. Feb 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love, Love this show it manges to capture a dark side of me the first season 7/10 the rest 10/10 the story lines are amazing and the quality of acting is great the current season 3 covers the true story off Mrs Delphine LaLaurie as cruel vile woman who is famous in New Orleans for her torture and cruelty towards slaves and the ancestors of her captives seeking revenge upon her the writer need to keep up the good work i learned a small piece of history watching this, the actors need to stay and continue the amazing job WATCH THIS NOW ! its booth entertaining and intriguing . Expand
  51. Feb 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm writing this review in the hopes that, if you have any inclination to watch it for similar reasons as I, you might be spared the misfortune of doing so. After the actual story was revealed and I wasn't just trying to piece together what exactly was happening, I finally realized that it was just another rendition of the same tired old mad scientist, possessed house, killer ghost, Antichrist, and eventually, I'll assume, all of the other yawn-inducing horror plots that I've come to loathe. And to think I'd expected, due mostly to the description, some sort of semi-philosophical consideration of evil. What are people's motivations when they commit unspeakable murders? What drives a rapist to rape? These were the questions I was hoping to have answered. "Satan told 'em to!" or "They're a man." or "They're going insane." is about the best you can hope for from this show. It's not an in-depth exploration of mankind's capacity for evil; it's a shallow rehashing of the same dismissive explanations that everyone resorts to when their brain has to work hard and they'd rather put an end to that because, gosh golly, it's just got so many other things to do! Or, at least, that's what it tells you so it doesn't have to second-guess itself or use logic, god forbid. There was only one character that I actually liked and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to since he was a man. Did I mention that this show was written by feminists? The misandry is strong in this one. The writers did deprive me of enough information that I had to watch nine whole episodes to figure out what the show was going to be about. Tricking me into watching nine whole episodes of something I hate is a remarkable feat. For that, the acting, the costumes, and the possessed house itself (It's a pretty cool house. It's kind of a Victorian thing.), I give this show 2 out of 10 stars. Everyone did the best they could with what they had. Unfortunately, feces encased in gold is still feces. If you go any deeper than the epithelium of this show, you'll find that that's what lies beneath: boring, recycled feces. Expand
  52. Jan 21, 2014
    Just finished watching S1 on Netflix.

The show started out strong but by episode 3 I had begun to lose interest. The show relies on scaring you more than telling you a good story, which is a shame because the cast, especially Jessica Lange, is highly talented. As the season progressed, the writing became sort of lame and in turn made the show very predictable. (I am speaking
    Just finished watching S1 on Netflix.

The show started out strong but by episode 3 I had begun to lose interest.

The show relies on scaring you more than telling you a good story, which is a shame because the cast, especially Jessica Lange, is highly talented. As the season progressed, the writing became sort of lame and in turn made the show very predictable. (I am speaking specifically about the final episode, which could not decide when it should end.)

There were a few good twists in the season, but at times it was hard to keep up with every backstory of the characters involved.

The main question I walked away with after watching the show, was how some of the spirits in the house age over time but others do not. For example, Tate Langston should have been nearly 40 years old but was still a teenager, while Moira the maid had aged normally.

Overall, the acting is great, which is what kept me watching because the story itself I felt left much to be desired. I'm gonna give this one a seven based mostly on the acting.
  53. Jan 7, 2014
    Dark Shadows and Once upon a Time had a baby and they called it-American Horror Story.
    I can't believe that people prefer this Programme over Walking Dead or Grimm, The pilot clip plus the Home invasion were good starts but the rest of the season was mediocre with things and scenes done before in other shows or even on the Big Screen. Now, Coven-S.3-(Different rate) is far superior than S.1- having several powerful female characters incl. Angela Basset who does a great performance as the Voodoo Queen. Ok Topics touched on the shows are the Basic things Americans and their Idiosyncrasy can't get over with (e.g) Racism, Nazism,Slavery,Satanism (Well Witchcraft) lunacy, so, and so.etc
    Still I can't comprehend the recent BUZZ over this T.V. show
  54. Jan 6, 2014
    I am addict of this show.It's so interesting.I can't go away from a show.This is show for like amity ville,the others and so on.I rely like Jessica Lange because she is cool actor and a singer.
  55. Dec 26, 2013
    A house that has been cursed with the death of almost every previous resident, The Harmons move in to "The Murderhouse". I was shocked when i realized this show was created by the same people behind Glee. The Characters are some of the best in this series. This is a show that makes you think, all the way to the end. A great show that should not be passed up.
  56. Dec 22, 2013
    Finally a show worth a darn to watch on tv.
    I just started watching this show two days ago.
    I couldn't stop watching. I've finished season 1 and I'm half way through season 2 . Scary, freaky, gory, and sexy. Lots of sex and pretty people even some fetish was brought into the show. It's a mind fuc* for sure. Those that are saying it's like Walking Dead are crazy. This show blows
    Finally a show worth a darn to watch on tv.
    I just started watching this show two days ago.
    It's a mind fuc* for sure.
    Those that are saying it's like Walking Dead are crazy. This show blows Walking Dead out of the water!
  57. Nov 19, 2013
    I was initially hesitant to even just take a first look at the pilot, but reviews were saying it's good so I gave it a try. And while it didn't start really well, I feel like the show gets better episode after episode. The finale is definitely one of the most satisfying conclusion to any show I've ever seen. The twist was not too predictable which makes it very enjoyable to discover.I was initially hesitant to even just take a first look at the pilot, but reviews were saying it's good so I gave it a try. And while it didn't start really well, I feel like the show gets better episode after episode. The finale is definitely one of the most satisfying conclusion to any show I've ever seen. The twist was not too predictable which makes it very enjoyable to discover. Didn't think Murphy or Falchuk has it in them! Expand
  58. Nov 14, 2013
    After 3 seasons, the writing countinues to impress me, it's amazing how the same actors can create a new atmosphere and make me forget about the old stories. The series is plot twist after plot twist, I love everything about it.
  59. Nov 7, 2013
    Sometimes I find the show too graphic and disturbing, but the storyline and writing keeps it interesting. It also certainly helps to have such stellar actors such as Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates (though I think Bates' character doesn't equal her talent).
  60. Oct 26, 2013
    This show is different. Really different.
    It took nearly whole seson one to figure out if I like it at all.
    Truth be told, the first thing that drew my attention was the cast. Can't be that bad with that cast, I thought. After the first episodes, I wasn't that sure anymore. And now (that I started watching season two) I'm completly in love with Jessica Lange's acting and the strange
    This show is different. Really different.
    It took nearly whole seson one to figure out if I like it at all.
    And now (that I started watching season two) I'm completly in love with Jessica Lange's acting and the strange ways the stories go.
  61. Oct 24, 2013
    Estoy de acuerdo que el termino horror aclara el tono de la historia, pero los lugares comunes son abundantes, y no existe un verdadero respeto hacia el papel o personaje como fantasma. (más allá de tener "superpoderes como gasparin"

Dos o tres momentos celebres, no más. (aplausos para Moria)
  62. Oct 21, 2013
    For the first few episodes this show seems good. It starts, some weird stuff happens, and then its ends. That's all it is, but it's somehow good. However, after a few episodes the novelty wares off and the fact that nothing actually happens makes it boring. It does have a story but it's too slow paced, instead focusing on random creepy things happening and trying to use the music and toneFor the first few episodes this show seems good. It starts, some weird stuff happens, and then its ends. That's all it is, but it's somehow good. However, after a few episodes the novelty wares off and the fact that nothing actually happens makes it boring. It does have a story but it's too slow paced, instead focusing on random creepy things happening and trying to use the music and tone to make ordinary things seem disturbing. Expand
  63. Oct 21, 2013
    Although extremely entertaining and very engrossing American Horror Story is in a way over complicated. As interesting as all the deaths in the "murder house" are there are so many that certain characters that die seam unimportant and unnecessary. Also despite it's creepy moments and surprises there are never any huge surprises or really horrifying moments. All and all I'm glad I watchedAlthough extremely entertaining and very engrossing American Horror Story is in a way over complicated. As interesting as all the deaths in the "murder house" are there are so many that certain characters that die seam unimportant and unnecessary. Also despite it's creepy moments and surprises there are never any huge surprises or really horrifying moments. All and all I'm glad I watched this season but there is certainly room for improvement in future seasons. Expand
  64. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are a few things that come to mind when one finishes the first season of American Horror Story.
    Some might include: Why is this show so messy? Why is this so cheesy at times? Most of all the question that haunts is Why can't I stop watching this?
    Believe of not, for the most part, all of those questions have a positive answer. The structure and character development of the series is incredibly messy, sometimes clearly unintended. However, it is also one of the most compelling elements about the series. It corners viewers and makes them sit tight as the story progresses while the viewer tries to tolerate the curiosity. The show is full of cheesy revelations and outcomes that could have been so much better by introduction of new characters or crazier twists. Rather than cheesy, one could use the term non-shocking. For example, when the audience discovers Tate is the Rubber Man. It can be a great disappointment for people whose high expectations, for what presents itself as a show with no limits on its madness, shows the Rubber Man as a tormented teenager who is in a limbo between good/evil. These are all minor flaws, however. The most important question about this show, and most important answer, is that the audience can't quit this show because of the raw transparency of human nature the characters present. Whether a viewer relates to the adulterer Ben Harmon, the tormented VIvien Harmon, misunderstood Violet, lost Tate, Mischievous Moira, a horrible mother like Constance, or any other character, it is undeniable that these characters show the audience the reality about human nature. As the show progresses, the audience begins to set aside the horror elements to the story and view the flaws of a dysfunctional family/families.
    That right there, is what gives the show its ultimate strength. The audience doesn't start watching American Horror Story with any intention of learning how to be a better person. However, it is inevitable to watch a family whose misfortune as endless until their sad perish, and still see them laugh as they prevent families from going through the same events. It shows that one chooses how to look at situations, either escape them or deal and learn from them. It shows the audience that it is better to laugh than mourn. It also shows however, that many can make the same mistakes over and over again. As Constance finds her abducted child, who killed his baby sitter, and sits on a chair. The audience can set aside the fact that this is a demon baby, presumed the Anti Christ, and see that the fact is that Constance is a horrible mother. No matter how many times a horrible mother tries to have a different outcome using the same raising tactics, she shall fail. So if you are a viewer who is up to for a crazy 12 episode series of horror, philosophy and family lessons, you will enjoy every step of this ride.
  65. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just watched in on Netflix and after the 3rd episode I had to write a friend, "1st one sets it up, 2nd one explains it and the 3rd one goes down!" Was so excited, should've known I was jinxing it.

1st off, how in the hell can a gay man write a story that is so blatantly and homophobic? Why is it EVERY Hollywood gay couple on TV requires one man must be a complete flamer? And to top that off, the gay couple is the ONLY home owners murdered by anyone but their family, much less having a poker shoved up your ass. I was blown away. The most obnoxious anti-gay scene I've ever seen on TV was written by a gay man. F'you Ryan Murphy.

2ndly, you could totally tell they had NO idea of where this story was going with most of the characters. There were so many plot holes, so many aspects that weren't cohesive and so many characters acting out of character.

Sorry, but this show, while still excellent for what's on prime time these days, was a huge disappointment since it seemed to be setting itself up to be one of the best shows in a long, long time.

The only comparison I can come up with is the first couple of season of The Walking Dead. At least TWD had consistent story telling.
  66. Jun 26, 2013
    American Horror Story is different than the usual horror genre, which is great, I like this series because of its difference, it is not your typical horror genre (haunted house) it is way scarier and much complicated and the second thing that made me love this series is the acting, which is great and phenomenal. In some parts of the series it falls apart and it runs very slow whichAmerican Horror Story is different than the usual horror genre, which is great, I like this series because of its difference, it is not your typical horror genre (haunted house) it is way scarier and much complicated and the second thing that made me love this series is the acting, which is great and phenomenal. In some parts of the series it falls apart and it runs very slow which disappoints, but it picks up very quickly with one crazy scene that will make you go WTF. Expand
  67. Jun 12, 2013
    The first season of American horror story had great plot, great actors, some interesting twists. It was scary and frightening at some points. I really liked this tv show. If you like this kind you will really like this little story. American Horror story Murder House. Says much right?
  68. Mar 24, 2013
    From the very start American Horror Story is an absolute mess. Almost every episode see’s the writers throw event after event on screen resulting in a script and direction that are all over the place as well as a plot with more holes in it than Swiss cheese. Despite the fact that this should by all rights make the show unwatchable I continued viewing all the way through to the finale asFrom the very start American Horror Story is an absolute mess. Almost every episode see’s the writers throw event after event on screen resulting in a script and direction that are all over the place as well as a plot with more holes in it than Swiss cheese. Despite the fact that this should by all rights make the show unwatchable I continued viewing all the way through to the finale as within a few episodes I did genuinely want to find out about the shows central mystery and, aside from the occasions when it gets bogged down in trying (and failing) to realistically portrayal a marriage breaking down, it could certainly never be described as boring. Try not to think about it too deeply and you’ll probably enjoy yourself. Expand
  69. Mar 6, 2013
    Excelente! una grandiosa seria de horror psicológico, su historia con sus giros inesperados es lo que lo hace genial! mezclando lo paranormal con la locura es lo que hace a American horror story una excelente serie.
  70. Feb 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. American Horror Story is one of the hottest shows on television, but it's origins may surprise you. This innovate, unique drama, has similarities to several different shows, but most closely resembles Tales From The Crypt. Unlike Tales, the American horror stories each last one season instead of one episode. From season to season the story changes as does much of the cast, but one thing remains constant, it has some of the smartest and most daring people behind it. You may know the creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, as the guys who brought you Glee, but American Horror Story couldn't be more different. In this series they show a dark twisted side that they could never get away with on network television. As I said the story changes from season to season, so I can't really do a review of the series, but I can tell you about season one. The first season of American Horror Story introduces us to Los Angeles's famous murder house, which since it's creation, ninety years ago, has known nothing but death and heartache. The house is purchased by Dr. Ben Harmon, who knows nothing of the houses history. Dr. Harmon is moving his family across the country to give them a second chance after mistakes and personal tragedies. The story is gripping and easy to follow, but what I liked more were the flashbacks that told the history of the house and explain all the weird stuff that's happening. While the cast features some very experienced, award winning actors, it's a combination of Jessica Lange and Evan Peters who makes this show what it is. Lange is a veteran actress known more for her roles on the big screen, while Peters only just made an impression on me a couple of years ago in the film Clipping Adam. Their unique yet different styles and personalities are the reason this weird show works. In the same way they are able to connect with every character in the show, they are also able to connect with every member of the audience, and that's why they are two of the three cast members who are back for the new story, Asylum. American Horror Story is not like any other show you've seen on television, in fact, I'm pretty surprised they are able to get away with some of the stuff they are doing. It's hard to find a good TV show based on the Horror genre and when you do it's usually a lame comedy. Shows like the Munsters and the Addams Family are legendary, while shows like Harsh Realm and Freaky Links just fizzled out. American Horror Story is different though, as it's innovative and pushes the limits of what you can do on television. It's a show that is most definitely not for everyone, but if you're a fan of the unusual and tired of things like Twilight and The Walking Dead, that go absolutely nowhere, check out American Horror Story, you should be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  71. Jan 31, 2013
    I really like this show. The tone and feel of both seasons are very creepy. The plot may not be the best, but with great acting and execution, this is one of the best shows on TV.
  72. Jan 28, 2013
    The polar opposite of its second season, American Horror Story: Murder House starts off weak and finishes incredibly strong. Jessica Lange and Connie Britton are the hilights of this freaky first season.
  73. Jan 14, 2013
    It's a good show but the last 2 episodes are rather boring and the ending was just awful. The entire build up all season and for such an anti-climatic ending really sucks.
  74. Jan 3, 2013
    The first season of American Horror story caught me by surprise. This is the first show of it's kind that I have seen. I have long been a fan of the horror genre, but have failed to find anything of it on the small screen that looked appealing. So when I heard of it on Facebook I didn't wait a second longer than I needed to.-

-After watching the first few episodes, I was genuinely

-After watching the first few episodes, I was genuinely scared, not shocked by something jumping about, but actually frightened inside. The atmosphere was spot on, but what really drove it were the characters and mysteries. Unfortunately, for the story to move forward it was required to be less scary. What I mean when I say this is that the mysteries and spooky things needed to be solved and explained. The way that they were solved and explained were truly great, but unfortunately for the genre of the show, the explained is not scary. True fear lies in the unexplained.-

-Is this to say that the show was bad in it's later episodes? The characters were evolving, the plot was moving, and threads were being tied. The show was doing the right thing. However, this is a horror show, with the very word being the second in the title. Because of this drop of fear the show did lessen in quality. But do not take that to say that the show got bad. It got less good, but never fell into bad.-

-After stories lose their starting fear, they usually rely on the 'fear of the situation'. The second season of this show has that down to an art form, but in this first season I feel little or no fear in the situation. The only time I felt this fear was in the second to last episode, where in the big plot twist occurred.-

-The first season of American horror story was not bad, on the contrary it was quite good. It started with a lot of momentum, but even after losing that momentum it remained a great and memorable show. If I had to pick the best things from the show it would have to be Jessica Lange, who gave a stellar performance, and the opening music/intro. Wow, the opening music and intro. No matter how many times I hear it, it gives me chills.-
  75. Dec 29, 2012
    Not a subscriber to TV for the lack of any quality, intelligent or original programming, I found this New show on Streaming. It was absolutely the BEST series I have ever seen and it opened a new door that I hope other Shows and Movies will aspire to. The Best Part is Jessica Lange who steals the show with her intelligent and powerful presence. I loved most of the characters. PiggyNot a subscriber to TV for the lack of any quality, intelligent or original programming, I found this New show on Streaming. It was absolutely the BEST series I have ever seen and it opened a new door that I hope other Shows and Movies will aspire to. The Best Part is Jessica Lange who steals the show with her intelligent and powerful presence. I loved most of the characters. Piggy Piggy was the worst of the shows, honestly how some people gain any fame is beyond me. Perhaps the continuity was a little off but it didn't matter since the entertainment and suspense made up for it. Again, I hope that it sets a new standard for the Dreck that comes out of hollywood these days. I have watched this season over and over which again is something I never do but I just found myself addicted and drawn to the unusual and dark theme and the actors are absolutely superb. I will become a true fan of this new series. Expand
  76. Dec 26, 2012
    Definitely keeps you guessing the entire time! The plot is fantastic and keeps you wanting more after every episode. The twist at the end is hard to see coming.
  77. Dec 12, 2012
    The first season of American Horror Story is something television desperately needs; variation. Excellent acting performances throughout (special mention to Jessica Lange and Zachary Quinto) complete with intertwining stories that leave you guessing at every moment. Even when you think you have something figured out, you often find out just how wrong your assumptions were.
  78. Nov 20, 2012
    Just the right amount of thrills. It's not often a TV show written as good as a great horror movie comes along. Great casting, acting and directing. Recommended.
  79. Nov 5, 2012
    American Horror Story embodies the realities of modern life (depression, birth issues, infidelity) and mixes them into a deep horror mythos that makes the flawed characters the focus rather than unnecessary special effects, too much blood or insane violence that has recently become what makes up the so-called horror genre. In focusing on the characters and their everyday lives within theAmerican Horror Story embodies the realities of modern life (depression, birth issues, infidelity) and mixes them into a deep horror mythos that makes the flawed characters the focus rather than unnecessary special effects, too much blood or insane violence that has recently become what makes up the so-called horror genre. In focusing on the characters and their everyday lives within the construct of the Expand
  80. Oct 23, 2012
    I'm no stranger to movies, shows and videogames that take a lot of analysis to fully appreciate, but I can't fully wrap my brain around this one. Not every story needs to resolve perfectly, but at the end of this story I didn't feel like I knew much more than I did at the beginning. It was more of a mashup of little horror stories that they tried to pile into one canon, one house even, andI'm no stranger to movies, shows and videogames that take a lot of analysis to fully appreciate, but I can't fully wrap my brain around this one. Not every story needs to resolve perfectly, but at the end of this story I didn't feel like I knew much more than I did at the beginning. It was more of a mashup of little horror stories that they tried to pile into one canon, one house even, and it just didn't work for me. There was no solid direction nor point, tons of characters that didn't bring anything important to the plot except to add yet another unnecessary layer to the already mile-high stack of them, and if that's not enough the majority of the characters are two faced and change motives at random just to throw the audience off. I didn't think it was all bad, as it did have some glorious moments and clever scenes... but I'm not sure if I'll be checking out season 2. I didn't hate it, just feel kind of indifferent. Expand
  81. Oct 21, 2012
    If 'American Horror Story' is dismissed for anything, it should be for its utter ridiculousness and messy, scattered first few episodes. It also, on the whole, rarely delivers any scares (this is coming from a certified **** All that being said, the show is basically a huge bet that pays off massively for viewers willing to stick around for the latter episodes, where the plot begins toIf 'American Horror Story' is dismissed for anything, it should be for its utter ridiculousness and messy, scattered first few episodes. It also, on the whole, rarely delivers any scares (this is coming from a certified **** All that being said, the show is basically a huge bet that pays off massively for viewers willing to stick around for the latter episodes, where the plot begins to become coherent and involving. The acting all across the board is top notch, but, of course, top honors have to go to Jessica Lange. She's just plain amazing here and we have needed her back for quite some time. Another thing I must note: I love it when a major network will take a chance on a crazy idea that might not necessarily work (and sometimes doesn't). It proves that they still care about things other than viewership and value creativeness and originality. FX is a great example of my ideal network (you've got Louie, Justified, Archer, Sons of Anarchy, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, among others). Overall, 'American Horror Story' might not be all that scary and is frequently a giant mess, but the show is consistently enveloping and engaging for fans. Can't wait to start watching 'Asylum'. Expand
  82. Sep 28, 2012
    Being very bored and desperate for something even remotely entertaining to watch, I came across this series on the Internet and aside from my initial 'what an awful name for a show' thought, decided to give it a try. All I can say is that this is such a brilliant series. I love the acting, the plot is elaborate yet understandable and well thought out, the characters are solid and theBeing very bored and desperate for something even remotely entertaining to watch, I came across this series on the Internet and aside from my initial 'what an awful name for a show' thought, decided to give it a try. All I can say is that this is such a brilliant series. I love the acting, the plot is elaborate yet understandable and well thought out, the characters are solid and the structure of the episodes are both engaging and original. I love films but generally don't enjoy TV shows/series but this had me hooked after the first episode and I watched every single one in the space of two days. Really, really impressed and definitely worth a watch. Expand
  83. Sep 22, 2012
    A wildly uneven show with a lot of potential. AHS throws a lot of horror themes at the wall, but not all of it sticks. Some episodes were intriguing, well-acted, suspenseful (that I'd rate a 7 or 8), and others were wandering, incoherent messes (that I'd rate a 4 or 5). Initially, the subplots and narrative turns keep you involved, but eventually they just seem to be thrown at you justA wildly uneven show with a lot of potential. AHS throws a lot of horror themes at the wall, but not all of it sticks. Some episodes were intriguing, well-acted, suspenseful (that I'd rate a 7 or 8), and others were wandering, incoherent messes (that I'd rate a 4 or 5). Initially, the subplots and narrative turns keep you involved, but eventually they just seem to be thrown at you just for the sake of it, and it got exhausting to keep up toward the end of the series. If they keep the plot twists at a moderate level, and keep the narrative a bit more coherent, this could be a great show. Fingers crossed they have this figured out come season 2 Expand
  84. Sep 19, 2012
    The show is a strange mixture of funny, dark and mind-twisting. It will rise so many questions which you'll want to be answered so badly that you'll even forget about the common and irritating plot twists and you'll ask yourself: "What the hell is going on here?!" and like so untill the very last episode of the season where each question is slowly yet clearly answered.
    The flashbacks that
    The flashbacks that retell the past events that happened at the scenes of each season are often fun and bring a dose of depth to the storyline.
  85. Jun 21, 2012
    Jessica Lange is amazing in this show and that mostly accounts for the 4/10 rating. I love horror. The thing is, horror works best when the viewer is invested in a protagonist who is experiencing the horror. Since everyone on this show is annoying , sick, or otherwise warped, it becomes more of a stylish exercise in creepy images than an actual story one can get into. I was reallyJessica Lange is amazing in this show and that mostly accounts for the 4/10 rating. I love horror. The thing is, horror works best when the viewer is invested in a protagonist who is experiencing the horror. Since everyone on this show is annoying , sick, or otherwise warped, it becomes more of a stylish exercise in creepy images than an actual story one can get into. I was really disappointed. I so wanted to like this show. Expand
  86. Apr 28, 2012
    American Horror Story is a wonderfully bizarre and brilliantly acted horror anthology that is filled with twists and turns and shocks, and will keep you hooked from start to finish. This is by far Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk's best work they have created. I can't wait for season 2.
  87. Apr 5, 2012
    Upon watching the first episode I am both confused yet still interested. To me, this isn't a horrible show, but, I do not understand the plot. Some of the characters are annoying and they throw a lot at you in the very first episode. We are introduced to so many characters at once that it is hard to keep up. Overall the story and the jumpiness of the camera work make it hard to keep upUpon watching the first episode I am both confused yet still interested. To me, this isn't a horrible show, but, I do not understand the plot. Some of the characters are annoying and they throw a lot at you in the very first episode. We are introduced to so many characters at once that it is hard to keep up. Overall the story and the jumpiness of the camera work make it hard to keep up with what is going on. I will continue to watch the show but for now I'm giving it a 5/10 because I have no idea what's going on. The show features 2 of my favorite actors and I want to see more of them. Expand
  88. Mar 4, 2012
    When trying to stay surprised or scared out of your mind, AMERICAN HORROR STORY is one to keep in mind. While trying to follow the already set story line and maintain its scary image, this show really did please me. After watching the first season, I can conclude that anything can happen in this show.
  89. Feb 3, 2012
    This show is something on the lines of horrible with no clear direction where it wants to go. With some good acting and cheesy, cliche scares it is the worst FX has ever picked up!
  90. Jan 27, 2012
    Two things will most likely apply to American Horror Story (AHS): One, is the fact that people are going to eiither love this show or hate it. The second fact is that whether you love it or hate it, AHS is a show that is definitely none like you will ever see. For me, it was at first shocking and then compelling, to the point where I put this show at the top of my watch list. Whether youTwo things will most likely apply to American Horror Story (AHS): One, is the fact that people are going to eiither love this show or hate it. The second fact is that whether you love it or hate it, AHS is a show that is definitely none like you will ever see. For me, it was at first shocking and then compelling, to the point where I put this show at the top of my watch list. Whether you like it or not, AHS has a lot going for it. Just about all of its production values are top-notch, cinema quality. The production design is dazzling, the cinematography is more movie-like than TV-like, and the acting is superb, whether it's Jessica Lange as the weirdo neighbor next door, Connie Britton as one of the two main leads, or Dylan McDermott as the other main lead. They all show some of their best work here, along with the entire cast. Ultimately, AHS is for horror fans, especially those fed up with plain Jane slasher movies and routine haunted house films. There is some real depth to the story here and there is much going on, both thematically and in the narrative. The genius of this series is that, according to producers, the story will begin anew with every season--new characters, new storylinme and new house--an element that allows AHS to re-invent itself over and over, hopefully with the same shock and awe that we have seen here. Expand
  91. j30
    Jan 24, 2012
    Overall this is a very good show with a just a few filler episodes. The writing is good and they probably have one of the best casts in a TV right now particularly Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga, and of course the fantastic Jessica Lange. When Hollywood is putting out more Saw sequels than I have fingers, it's refreshing to see some good horror shows out there like AHS and The Walking Dead.
  92. Jan 18, 2012
    Holds it's viewers attention, not scared to take risks, excellent acting and does not pander to main stream at all therefore it has a lot to offer then just the "same old same old." More for an audience that is not scared to enjoy the risks it takes and are not scared of a more adult themed show. Bravo.
  93. Jan 1, 2012
    I remember thinking many parts of the first few episodes were pretty bad but this is one of the most entertaining shows I've ever watched. The best thing by far is jessica Lange, but the writing and story develop really well as you work through the season. Not perfect by any stretch, but highly enjoyable viewing for anyone who likes their horror wit a few giggles thrown in. I've neverI remember thinking many parts of the first few episodes were pretty bad but this is one of the most entertaining shows I've ever watched. The best thing by far is jessica Lange, but the writing and story develop really well as you work through the season. Not perfect by any stretch, but highly enjoyable viewing for anyone who likes their horror wit a few giggles thrown in. I've never before started watching a seasverse right over again after finishing it but did with this. Expand
  94. Dec 29, 2011
    This is a rare show that sticks with you long after you've seen it. Not only is the story brilliantly written, each episode is directed and produced with a team that really believes in their story. Everything is polished! Even the actors and actresses are top-notch! I'm partially sad that the series is getting a reboot next season only because I loved the characters in this season.This is a rare show that sticks with you long after you've seen it. Not only is the story brilliantly written, each episode is directed and produced with a team that really believes in their story. Everything is polished! Even the actors and actresses are top-notch! I'm partially sad that the series is getting a reboot next season only because I loved the characters in this season. Though, it's true, this seasons' story arc has been told and would only dilute a perfect ending if they were to continue it. Expand
  95. Dec 28, 2011
    Overall a very strong first season. The show is trashy. It is crude, it is unrelenting in its march towards entertaining the audience. And that's why its one of the few shows i chose to stick with through the full season. Pure entertainment. While at first I was afraid that the writers had written themselves into a corner and were struggling for a direction, things picked back up andOverall a very strong first season. The show is trashy. It is crude, it is unrelenting in its march towards entertaining the audience. And that's why its one of the few shows i chose to stick with through the full season. Pure entertainment. While at first I was afraid that the writers had written themselves into a corner and were struggling for a direction, things picked back up and came in for a strong and occasionally moving finish. Expand
  96. Dec 27, 2011
    It sort of fizzled out towards the end of the season, as it seemingly got lost in what it really wanted to achieve. It is, without a doubt, one of the best new shows on television right now and has already established itself as one of my new favorites, but I can't help but feel let down by the slow, awkward pacing of the last few episodes. The brilliant cast coupled with the sheerIt sort of fizzled out towards the end of the season, as it seemingly got lost in what it really wanted to achieve. It is, without a doubt, one of the best new shows on television right now and has already established itself as one of my new favorites, but I can't help but feel let down by the slow, awkward pacing of the last few episodes. The brilliant cast coupled with the sheer originality of the plot-line keep this show from falling under the category of mediocrity. American Horror Story shines on so many levels and only time will tell if future seasons continue on that path. Expand
  97. Dec 27, 2011
    I watched the entire season and was not impressed in the least. Why would I want to watch a show with ghosts who act just like living people? What is the point of being dead if you have the same issues when you were alive? Death is more of the same **** Really? Really!?!
  98. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant season and exquisite season finale. Exhibit A. What other show would literally kill off its entire starring cast in the first season? Exhibit B. Jessica Lange in one long, devastating take. Exhibit C. More story twists in one episode than most shows manage in an entire series. Expand
  99. Dec 15, 2011
    every week. the show gets better and better, the story is complex, but you can follow it, you think you will get a LOST type "non-explanation" but every week more is revealed. This show reminds me of LOST more then any other show, and thats a good thing. Every thing about this show is thought through and entertaining, you can tell the actors are having fun in their roles, everything aboutevery week. the show gets better and better, the story is complex, but you can follow it, you think you will get a LOST type "non-explanation" but every week more is revealed. This show reminds me of LOST more then any other show, and thats a good thing. Every thing about this show is thought through and entertaining, you can tell the actors are having fun in their roles, everything about this show is amazing, i can't wait for it to come to DVD so i can watch it start to finish in one sitting. it is an amazingly crafted story, i hope season 1 ends with the completion of the current story, and they do a season 2 with a brand new story. Great job coming up with original TV (its so rare these days...) Expand

The show may be ridiculous, but the humiliation and panic feel real. And there's something to be said for surprise.
  2. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Oct 5, 2011
    American Horror Story, from Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk of "Glee" and "Nip/Tuck," is a very standard creep-fest, an aggressively stylized mash-up of familiar haunted-house movies including "The Amityville Horror," "The Haunting," and "The Shining."
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Oct 5, 2011
    I loved the pilot, mostly because I could never predict where the story was going, a rarity in prime-time TV.