Andy Barker, P.I. : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 15, 2007
7.8

1. EthanF
    Mar 21, 2007
    Very enjoyable show, after the first episode. If you go to NBC's website, they have all 6 episodes already up available to watch, and the quality increases significantly as the show progresses. The pilot is perhaps burdened by exposition, and tries too hard to set the scene, but if you watch the other five, youll like it a lot more, as all the ridiculousness of the characters kicks in
  2. JohnS
    Mar 15, 2007
    Another cheesy idea that isn't that creative or funny. Poor NBC can't make enough good shows so they have been trying to over hype this one by pushing promotion and putting it online before airing. Not a good sign.
  3. MarkC
    Mar 15, 2007
    This is a great show based on what I watched on nbc.com. It's nice to see a good new comedy for a change (it's been how long now?)
  4. JonathanP
    Apr 10, 2007
    Although I've loved every episode thus far, I come with the sad news that NBC has decided to cancel the show already. The 6 episodes that have been available online will represent the sum total that they'll broadcast. Sorry folks. =(
  5. MarcusW
    May 7, 2007
    Good stuff. The episode with the chickens was hilarious. Other than that one I didn't laugh out loud that much, but the show is charming, funny, witty, and pleasant to watch. More than I can say about most sitcoms on TV.
  6. EricC
    Mar 23, 2007
    I was prepared to hate this show. I was pretty disillusioned by new sitcoms after watching The Winner (go find my review for The Winner to find out how much I hated it. Here's a spoiler; deeply). But I gave it a shot, and while I wasn't laughing out loud, I enjoyed so much more than I expected to. I made the mistake of not watching 30 Rock after the first disapointing episodes, I was prepared to hate this show. I was pretty disillusioned by new sitcoms after watching The Winner (go find my review for The Winner to find out how much I hated it. Here's a spoiler; deeply). But I gave it a shot, and while I wasn't laughing out loud, I enjoyed so much more than I expected to. I made the mistake of not watching 30 Rock after the first disapointing episodes, but I'm not gonna make that mistatke again. Expand
  7. charlier
    Mar 29, 2007
    Lacking something.
  8. CB
    Apr 6, 2007
    It's really quite funny and satisfying...
    Apr 9, 2007
    Its really funny!
  10. JoeS
    Mar 16, 2007
    HORRIBLE! Unfunny, not clever, not GOOD. Bring back 30 Rock, NBC!!
  11. MattA
    Mar 16, 2007
    I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Some parts were laugh out loud funny... and many weren't, yet they were still very charming and had a light humor to them. never raunchy, and the characters were enjoyable. Overall... 8.5...but i'll be generous and round up...
  12. MarcL
    Mar 17, 2007
    It was good. Does not rely on toilet humor. No fart jokes, no sexual innuendos. But it was entertaining and fun. And best of all, no laugh track. A welcome break from the standard fare.
  13. MarcE
    Mar 21, 2007
    Simply not nearly as funny as "Contorls the Universe". I like the fact that it is different from your typical sitcom and it tries to be original, which it is. It just is not very funny.
  14. GordK
    Mar 22, 2007
    The pilot was rather sketchy, but episode two proved to be classic Andy Richter, a callback to Andy Richter Controls the Universe-style of presentation. A very quick-paced and entertaining series thus far; hopefully it can survive the NBC chopping block.
  15. SeanF
    Mar 23, 2007
    Absurdly funny. Like 30 Rock, it makes me laugh out loud several times per episode. Couldn't BOTH of these shows be on instead of one or the other?
  16. Nancy
    Mar 27, 2007
    2 shows down, will have to see how it pans out but I like the characters, there is plenty to mine here(self-designated secretary, deadpan wife, weird video guy, falafel guy (I know its not but forget what food he sells)) - as long as they use the old PI judiciously. Amusing and quirky and room to grow. I'm adding this to my list to watch.
  17. LitaP
    Mar 30, 2007
    I NEVER laugh out loud. I laughed out loud. This show was fabulously absurd. I loved it!
  18. BobLoblaw
    Apr 16, 2007
    funny, not brilliantly written, but very entertaining diversity of characters and shining moments.
  19. GlendaS
    Apr 6, 2007
    This show is so much better than most of the stupid sitcomes that are on television today. It's extremely clever and yet clean enough for most children to watch. Too many sitcoms are mean spirited and scarcastic which is the least intelligent of all humor.
  20. Blake
    Apr 9, 2007
    Just not that funny. Clever at times, but I just don't find myself laughing all that much. I find myself saying... Oh that was clever and smiiling, but there it never pulls that big laugh out of me. No comparison to say Wedding Bells as far as recent releases are concerned.
  21. BenG
    Mar 14, 2007
    A+ show
  22. BobB
    Mar 15, 2007
    Pretty good, much better than a lot of other crap on TV nowadays. I really hope they keep it for a few seasons.
  23. ScottT
    Mar 16, 2007
    Pretty darn funny. You can feel the Conan influence oozing throughout the show
  24. RH
    Mar 17, 2007
    Not as great as 30 Rock has become (and which it presumably is competing with for a Fall '07 slot), nor anywhere near the masterpiece level of Andy Richter Controls The Universe...however, we're left with a nice, subversive and subtle comedy for anyone that appreciates Conan's weird sort of humor.
  25. Mike
    Mar 19, 2007
    Love, Love LOVE Andy, always have. The canceling of "Controls the Universe" was a crime. But this one? Meh. Understated, not going for the obvious laugh, smart--I get all that. But there were maybe three laughs in the half hour. I'll give it a few eps, but I was seriously puzzled by this premiere.
  26. Pete
    Mar 23, 2007
    With sight gags and laugh-out loud moments, this show should fit in the Thursday night lineup along with 30 Rock and The Office.
  27. stevec
    Mar 27, 2007
    brilliantly understated, an anidote for modern life, my wife and I actually laughed out loud. you gotta know my wife. that's a show worth watching.
  28. ChrisC
    Mar 29, 2007
    What do you get when you take Monk, take away the charm, the quirky main character, and the chemistry? Andy Barker, P.I. Stupidity-driven humor, poorly written scenarios, irritating characters, the works. Maybe the episode I saw was just a really terrible one, but it was completely devoid of entertainment value.
  29. TravisM
    Apr 14, 2007
    This show was so great... Bring it back NBC!!! Andy Richter's acting plus the writing of Conan O'Brien. This was amazing.
  30. RaisaJ
    Apr 19, 2007
    Fresh and funny. Refreshing!

1. Andy Barker isn't as complete a comedy as Andy Richter Controls the Universe — the first three episodes feel like a series of very funny bits that have been welded together. But so did 30 Rock when it first started, and that's now the best comedy on TV.
    This amusing series is likely to leave you smiling rather than guffawing.
  3. Like "30 Rock," "Barker" is more absurd and goofy than it is broadly funny, but it's definitely not as mainstream.