Archer : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 14, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
9.0

1. Mar 3, 2014
    I like Archer a lot. The writers of the series are smart, unabashedly nerdy, and have a great handle on how to mix plot and character development, and a series of successful one-liners into a 20+ minute television package. It's one of the few shows that people my age like universally (18-34) and are able to quote at the drop of a dime. All that said, I'm not really sure what they're doingI like Archer a lot. The writers of the series are smart, unabashedly nerdy, and have a great handle on how to mix plot and character development, and a series of successful one-liners into a 20+ minute television package. It's one of the few shows that people my age like universally (18-34) and are able to quote at the drop of a dime. All that said, I'm not really sure what they're doing with Season 5.

The chemistry they established between characters in the previous three seasons was great. For example, you get Archer being an **** to Pam/Carol/Cheryl/Lana/women in absurdly terrible ways but then you have this elaborate backstory of a how his childhood with an alcoholic, manipulative mother/spy without any decent father-figure except for a doped up Woodhouse was terrible and traumatizing and probably explains his fixation on media as morality and his general sociopathy towards others. This season, Archer acts terrible and that's it. The end. No more development of Archer as a character, no more flashbacks, no more straight-man questioning the ethics and morality of any given situation. Instead, all you get are these recycled gags that have been running for, well, years now. You know that Perry Bible Fellowship comic that Nick Gurewitch left up for a long time? The one where a comedian comes up with this amazing catchphrase, gets famous for it, and is then forced to repeat it until it becomes such meaningless babble that he turns to alcohol to fill the void of his life? And then he kills himself and the thing they put on his tombstone is his catchphrase? That's what a lot of Archer, Season 5 feels like. Meaningless, crappy one-liners fast approaching the Family Guy school of writing.
  2. ChrisC
    Jan 17, 2010
    I tried to watch the show a couple times. I couldn't stand the stereotypical main character or the obnoxious sophmoric humor at all.

1. Archer is the rare show that's in love with its own wordplay and good enough that this love becomes endearing rather than annoying.
  2. Archer may be crude but it's far more clever than last fall's disappointing "Testees," and "Archer" wins points with its observational humor about modern life and in its mocking of mundane workplace minutiae, such as computer passwords and the lack of security at a spy agency.
    I got many more sustained belly laughs out of the show that follows Sunny in an under-the-radar sneak preview.