Arrow : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 10, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.1

1. Jan 29, 2016
    I believe this show accomplishes what it was intended to do, appeal to a wide audience and have a balance of action, adventure, explosions, love stories, sex, drama, etc. This series is every bit as a soap opera as it is a super hero show. It executes it all in a satisfactory balance.
    For some it will be too dramatic and corny with all the emotions and soap operas. That person will have to watch another show if emotion and human conflict bother them.
    An excellent show that has moments of being lame. As with life, this show becomes extremely better once you accept the BS and focus on what makes it worth it.
  2. Jan 22, 2016
    This show has good villains and actions. But I am really tired of their bullsh*t relationship problems. Characters are just so weak always complaining, whining about their life. Specially Laurel Lance.
  3. Dec 23, 2015
    I used to like this show. I just couldn't get over how bad some scenes are. For example, specially in the first 2 seasons, the Arrow kept making unrealistic shots; Like when he shoot his enemies' weapons from the side while running behind them. Another example is from Season 4. Queen was in a car surrounded by armed soldiers who were shooting the car. He was taking cover in the back seatI used to like this show. I just couldn't get over how bad some scenes are. For example, specially in the first 2 seasons, the Arrow kept making unrealistic shots; Like when he shoot his enemies' weapons from the side while running behind them. Another example is from Season 4. Queen was in a car surrounded by armed soldiers who were shooting the car. He was taking cover in the back seat for a while before he slowly climbed from the back seat to the front, while being shot at from different directions by trained soldiers, and drove away. The only reason why I continued to watch the show is for the Flash tv series which is much better than this one. Expand
  4. Dec 6, 2015
    Easily the show's best season, even if its finale does fall flat. Watching Oliver Queen dole out vigilante justice in a morally gray manner makes for great television. It has its weaknesses no doubt, but as a fun, if at times repetitive, action series, Arrow does a good job. Unlike the later seasons, this one gets the formula just about right, properly balancing the action and primaryEasily the show's best season, even if its finale does fall flat. Watching Oliver Queen dole out vigilante justice in a morally gray manner makes for great television. It has its weaknesses no doubt, but as a fun, if at times repetitive, action series, Arrow does a good job. Unlike the later seasons, this one gets the formula just about right, properly balancing the action and primary conflict with just the right measures of human subplot and moral debate. Expand
  5. Nov 20, 2015
    Agree with most of the negative reviews but I still watch this (& enjoy it, lazily) just because it's easy to get sucked into the visual stylized darkness of the whole thing. A positive review said it's sort of a Grey's Anatomy (Shonda Rhimes type) in DC comic mode which is true. Also agree with another reviewer that they should drop all the island flashbacks. [ They are tedious (imv).]Agree with most of the negative reviews but I still watch this (& enjoy it, lazily) just because it's easy to get sucked into the visual stylized darkness of the whole thing. A positive review said it's sort of a Grey's Anatomy (Shonda Rhimes type) in DC comic mode which is true. Also agree with another reviewer that they should drop all the island flashbacks. [ They are tedious (imv).] The depiction of individual self-doubt and weakness is kind of refreshing, even if in such a contrived context Expand
  6. Nov 5, 2015
    I love superheroes and Arrow is one of the best superheroes ever !!! The Story is exciting. There are cool characters and cool Villains and Stephen Ammel fits well to Arrow. Thanks WB for this awsome TV show.
  7. Nov 3, 2015
    Arrow is the most severely overrated television show in recent years. Its popularity I find completely baffling. And the reason I make such a troll-like statement is do to all the damn crying. I mean this is a comic book adaption! Okay- yes, there should be drama. Action? Most definitely; but when every second, or third scene has someone crying... I mean just empty-their-purse-balling, itArrow is the most severely overrated television show in recent years. Its popularity I find completely baffling. And the reason I make such a troll-like statement is do to all the damn crying. I mean this is a comic book adaption! Okay- yes, there should be drama. Action? Most definitely; but when every second, or third scene has someone crying... I mean just empty-their-purse-balling, it comes nauseating. So to summarize, way too much crying and dialogue I presume was written in crayon make this show unbearable at best. Expand
  8. Oct 29, 2015
    I made it to episode 9 or something. This was on the second attempt, after watching the first season of “The Flash” and feeling like the constant, forced attempts at crossover were a sign to try again. It’s still not good. Oh, sorry, *Spoiler Alert* “Arrow” is not a good show *End of Spoilers*. If that does not spoil it for you then: congratulations, in a way. You are better at bathing inI made it to episode 9 or something. This was on the second attempt, after watching the first season of “The Flash” and feeling like the constant, forced attempts at crossover were a sign to try again. It’s still not good. Oh, sorry, *Spoiler Alert* “Arrow” is not a good show *End of Spoilers*. If that does not spoil it for you then: congratulations, in a way. You are better at bathing in predictable and uninspired tubs of tepid water than I am. There are twenty-something episodes in a season. That is SO many hours. If “True Detective” is a dark, rich truffle, then “Arrow” is a Big Hunk bar, notable for its length and being difficult to swallow. Bonus complaint: the graceless cherry on top is the all of the pop music they shoehorn into the empty spaces between the actors. It really cinches that I-am-in-a-Dentist’s-waiting-room feel they seem to be going for here. I think if it came out of the soap opera closet I would be more comfortable with it. There are brief endearing moments that beckon you to care about its characters even though they speak to one another like they are all just pamphlets, similarly trapped in the aforementioned waiting room. Oliver’s flashbacks offer a glimpse into a show that might have been worth making but was not made because… there was nowhere to put all that pop music. I can almost go along with the attempted grittiness on the island, but the posturing that spills into Starling City is ridiculous and impossible to care about. The stakes feel so low, I started reading Wikipedia in parallel to amp things up. Now I just stick to Wikipedia. Expand
  9. Sep 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the better shows at character building, the flashback sequences are the gold here, showing the main character Oliver's progression into becoming what he is. This is proper character progression and development at its finest and worth the watch for that alone. Expand
  10. Sep 3, 2015
    There are multiple cliches and plot holes.

It feels like a mix of all of these: ~ person of interest (Tracking down people on a list) ~ Iron man ( imprisoned and escaped.... also random rich dude so he has the money to make a lab....) ~ Robbin hood (they make multiple references to robin hood in the movie aswell) Person of interest is way better.... It gets a little repetitive
    There are multiple cliches and plot holes.

It feels like a mix of all of these:

~ person of interest (Tracking down people on a list)
    ~ Robbin hood (they make multiple references to robin hood in the movie aswell)

Person of interest is way better.... It gets a little repetitive after the first season but.... i stopped watching Arrow after the first 5 episodes......
  11. Jul 27, 2015
    All Arrow seasons are at least great, this is a very good TV show and I recommend to every one who likes TV series and Heroes.
    This is the rating for each seasons to this point:
    season 1: 8
    season 2: 10
    season 3: 9
  12. Jun 16, 2015
    An epic and gritty take on The Green Arrow, this show draws a lot of inspiration from The Dark Knight trilogy. Brining to life many of your iconic and favorite heroes and villains such as Deathstroke, Malcolm Merlyn, Count Vertigo, The Huntress, The Atom, Speedy, Deadshot, The Suicide Squad, and so many more. Filled with gripping action, suspense, mystery, some comedy, and plenty of DCAn epic and gritty take on The Green Arrow, this show draws a lot of inspiration from The Dark Knight trilogy. Brining to life many of your iconic and favorite heroes and villains such as Deathstroke, Malcolm Merlyn, Count Vertigo, The Huntress, The Atom, Speedy, Deadshot, The Suicide Squad, and so many more. Filled with gripping action, suspense, mystery, some comedy, and plenty of DC lore, this is a show recommended for DC fan boys! And don't forget to check out its little sister spin-off, The Flash! Expand
  13. May 28, 2015
    The first season of Arrow was great. it offered interesting characters, with a very powerful story of a man who's experiences on an island change his life. The writing is really good, but it is re-hashed for most of the series. But the formula is good, so it works for the most part. Other than the killing, the character of the Green Arrow is very faithful. And he is very well acted. TheyThe first season of Arrow was great. it offered interesting characters, with a very powerful story of a man who's experiences on an island change his life. The writing is really good, but it is re-hashed for most of the series. But the formula is good, so it works for the most part. Other than the killing, the character of the Green Arrow is very faithful. And he is very well acted. They try to turn him into Batman, but there are enough new ideas here to keep it fresh. A very good start to the series. Expand
  14. May 24, 2015
    After searching for an action packed TV series for a while, I cam across Arrow. I had my reservations to begin with as it did not sound like something I would normally watch. I'll tell you now, it's no Game of Thrones but it stands alone with its own entirety. Everyone says it, but there is never a dull moment. Berlanti, the writer of the series, combines violence and action neatly with aAfter searching for an action packed TV series for a while, I cam across Arrow. I had my reservations to begin with as it did not sound like something I would normally watch. I'll tell you now, it's no Game of Thrones but it stands alone with its own entirety. Everyone says it, but there is never a dull moment. Berlanti, the writer of the series, combines violence and action neatly with a unique story which intertwines with other series. The sign of a good action series is when it inspires you to tone your body to resemble to protagonist and since starting this series I have been intent on becoming like Oliver Queen! Expand
  15. May 15, 2015
    Good show Good fight scenes and getting better each season.Can't wait for Season 4 as it should be a good one going by the why there getting better, each season brings its own bad guy.
  16. May 14, 2015
    So, I thought I would laugh and point at the latest comic book TV series (not even a movie haha!) and I was totally rebuffed by the performance of Stephen Amell. He has completely made his careerr in this series. An amazing performance and cast.

Felicity Smoak is a great character also, played by Emily Rickards and she does a great job with it. I'm giving it a 9/10 for the

I'm giving it a 9/10 for the performances alone.
  17. Apr 23, 2015
    Started off poorly but has quickly become one of my favorite shows to watch. I've grind watched this season rather quickly and can't wait to jump into season 2.
  18. Mar 25, 2015
    I think this show will appeal mainly to American audiences in the 12 to 24 bracket. I wanted to like it, have watched season 1 and part of season 2, with quite a bit of fast forwarding, but cannot like it. I have no empathy with the main character, every female except his mother instantly falls for his chiseled features and moody demeanour, not his billionaire status. He has all theI think this show will appeal mainly to American audiences in the 12 to 24 bracket. I wanted to like it, have watched season 1 and part of season 2, with quite a bit of fast forwarding, but cannot like it. I have no empathy with the main character, every female except his mother instantly falls for his chiseled features and moody demeanour, not his billionaire status. He has all the personality of a haddock. The women in the show belong on some 1980s daytime soap as does much of the dialogue.

Regarding the action, I have no problem suspending my disbelief, but I will not shoot myself in the common sense to do so! I can accept superman being hit by bullets to no effect, the Flash dodging them, The Hulk smashing them but a chiseled model with no superpowers other than shed loads of money dodging close range submachine gun fire, too far, too much and it dumbs down what should be fun action. The fact that people actually do die I give a point or two for, as it does show an underlying desire not to glamourise violence.

Dark and moody I don't mind, but confused and dreary is what this is.
    The plot lines are either obvious to the point of needing to vomit with boredom, or forced and convoluted making me grab for the fast forwards.

Over all a shallow dumbed down insult to the genre. As it is dumbed down no doubt it will draw in commercial success from the younger audiences who have been subjected to a life time of such TV drudgery!

However I like Diggle, strange that a working class white Brit relates better to an Afro-American character than any of the supposedly white-American blue collar characters, says something about the characterisations and scripting. So I will add a couple of points for him.
  19. Feb 23, 2015
    We grow up with different comics on this side of the Atlantic so I'm not as familiar with the DC characters as most. So this was a treat. Nice adaptation. Everyone is hot or handsome which is easy on the eye.

They can act too, especially ,Steven Amell, the lead who is excellent. Some of the supporting cast are a little slight but overall considering the budget this is very good and very addictive.
  20. Feb 19, 2015
    Great first season which just gets better in the second. The action is on par with shows like the walking dead and 24. The acting gets better with every episode.
  21. Jan 31, 2015
    Not great, but not terrible either. There isn't enough going on in Season 1 to justify it's 8.2 user score here. A lot of the time it seems as if the show wants to distance itself from the actual comic book character it's based on. He's called "The Hood" or "The Vigilante" instead of the Green Arrow, which is not only a better name, it's THE name. Imagine The Flash being called "the redNot great, but not terrible either. There isn't enough going on in Season 1 to justify it's 8.2 user score here. A lot of the time it seems as if the show wants to distance itself from the actual comic book character it's based on. He's called "The Hood" or "The Vigilante" instead of the Green Arrow, which is not only a better name, it's THE name. Imagine The Flash being called "the red blur" or "Red spandex guy". Not very catchy is it? I wish they would use more content from the comics and less drawn-out romance scenes that make even Smallville look more gritty. Expand
  22. Jan 24, 2015
    Swooowsh !!!.Here comes the ARROW !!!.The series is having a very gripping story line. The flashback story-telling is particularly very interesting (used best it could have been). What could have been a superhero story where good characters fight the bad guys, Arrow gives you something to look up to. The stories revolve around 'Oliver in the past with a particular event' and how it definesSwooowsh !!!.Here comes the ARROW !!!.The series is having a very gripping story line. The flashback story-telling is particularly very interesting (used best it could have been). What could have been a superhero story where good characters fight the bad guys, Arrow gives you something to look up to. The stories revolve around 'Oliver in the past with a particular event' and how it defines Arrow/Oliver 's decision in present which is the most fascinating..The fight sequences are very good seeing that it is a TV show. Stephen Amell is very good as Arrow and Oliver. He seems to have the depth in his understanding of the character Arrow. Felicity is very convincing with her fast paced dialogues and of course with her smile. Diggle, Roy, Lance have done a very good job as well. To me it is almost like a movie being shown in parts, with every portion explained - Well done Team Arrow !! Expand
  23. Jan 23, 2015
    A misogynistic egotistical Tarzan's emotional make up is pursued most vigorously, more than any crimes or villains. Straining this series into meeting its Brady's every week. To the point of it failing, seen as recruiting half of city into his self sense of vigilantism, instead of simply letting Hulk Smash.

If I watch any alternate universe like Dread. I don't want to see a team of

If I watch any alternate universe like Dread. I don't want to see a team of judges doing CSI. I want to see all that superhero alien fallout criminal action. I certainly don't care who robin's girlfriend is, why she won't have his babies, making more little vigilantes, or why every cuckoo is in that nest, and who the real rooster is, if only he could remember why they weren't dead.

Shown as here as little action, seen as intolerably fake people being so intolerably super fake in its weekly soap opera.

I watch a show because it meets my demands. If I watch any superhero I want to see hulk smash for the majority of any air time aired. There are plenty of shows that do this currently and so much better even within their teams, etc etc, but they don't suffer from the same amount of nonsense every episode. Constantly plagued on why that Hulk is actually Dr jekll, Mrs hyde. Even more so with the rest of his band of misfits, their babies, alcoholism, addictions, mommy, daddy, boyfriend, girlfriend, brother, sister, pizza party, dilemma's.

This show really doesn't cut it within it's labelled genre, shown as 10 minutes of action too 30 minutes of garbage.. Prolonging all content aired to end degrees, shown as seeing some Crim a supposed "mastermind" getting one shot. After all "nuclear" reasoning behind why these fakes were ever needed.

Also such a drag that as nobody dies, they will always keep coming back creating more simplistic error as they pop into episodes later. Carrying with them all their other baggage around every episode. While constantly being plagued with amnesia of why there was never any start to this fragmented story.

If you are some kind of 12-15 year old, who watches neighbours with your girlfriends family then this certainly is the right show for you. Watch out vigilantism!!
  24. Jan 18, 2015
    Arrow was one of the best TV series I have ever watch
    i mean the story line , the villains , it even tells you about origins of super-villains in future dc comics or shows
    If you are a DC fan or just wanting to watch something to past time
    THIS IS THE BEST SHOW I COULD RECOMMEND besides the flash
  25. Jan 14, 2015
    Having moved away from its Dark Knight feel, "Arrow" simply gets better and better with each season. Gone are the concerns about keeping the flashbacks going, in comes deeper characterisation and more interesting villains. Well played by the cast and a series that's first on the weekly list to watch.
  26. Jan 12, 2015
    The show should be going well, but is suffering from dumbed down text. Everyone seems to be haunted with an eternal guilt, every character is always beating him(her)self over a debt of honor even over the smallest issues, most of the time it was not their fault. Some bad guy threatens two dear people to the hero, and a whole plot develops about his guilt of being unable to be in two placesThe show should be going well, but is suffering from dumbed down text. Everyone seems to be haunted with an eternal guilt, every character is always beating him(her)self over a debt of honor even over the smallest issues, most of the time it was not their fault. Some bad guy threatens two dear people to the hero, and a whole plot develops about his guilt of being unable to be in two places at the same time to save both people,
    after the bad guy kills one of them. NOBODY seems to blame the bad guy!!! The show had it all to be great, and it's being seriously dumbed down. For instance, Gotham is telling great stories without suffering from this dumb writing that already made me give up watching Flash.
  27. Dec 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Me-surpreendeu, pois não esperava algo tão bom, principalmente para uma primeira temporada, mas aqui estamos já na terceira temporada e cada vez melhor! Não é a toa que está fazendo em grande sucesso. Parabéns pessoal da (The CW). Expand
  28. Dec 23, 2014
    Despite my disregard for most of DC Comics’ products, I was expecting something out of this TV show, and surprisingly enough, it was actually a well put together show. Some episodes were more rewarding than the others, but what it counts, is the average rating of all them. Let me start pointing out that I simply loved Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen. He kinda looks like Bruce Wayne inDespite my disregard for most of DC Comics’ products, I was expecting something out of this TV show, and surprisingly enough, it was actually a well put together show. Some episodes were more rewarding than the others, but what it counts, is the average rating of all them. Let me start pointing out that I simply loved Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen. He kinda looks like Bruce Wayne in Nolan’s trilogy, to be honest. The rest of the cast is solid, and what it’s more satisfying is that they portray richly intriguing characters. Example: Slade Wilson (aka Deathstroke). You only see him through flashbacks and believe me, this show partly focuses on events that happened on the island, and they’re pretty interesting. Once the story unfolds, the show starts presenting new characters, and new subplots. Before I start analyzing this series, let’s see the plot summary below.

Oliver Queen and his father are lost at sea when their luxury yacht sinks, apparently in a storm. His father dies, but Oliver survives for five years on an uncharted island and eventually returns home. But he wasn't alone on the island where he learned not only how to fight and survive but also of his father's corruption and unscrupulous business dealings. He returns to civilization a changed man, determined to put things right. He disguises himself with the hood of one of his mysterious island mentors, arms himself with a bow and sets about hunting down the men and women who have corrupted his city.

The first issue I had with the first episode, the “Pilot” episode is that it relied on so many flashbacks and it was too damn that rushed that ultimately felt like an expository installment. Thankfully, the show improved, and kept showing more and more interesting characters. One of my favorite characters in this show is, of course, Oliver Queen himself. The character (played by Stephen Amell) is a playboy millionaire who once seemed like a nice guy until he cheats Laurel (his love interest) with her sister Sarah on a boat trip. Unfortunately, the boat just happens to be sabotaged and Sarah dies, along with Queen’s father, Robert, who kills himself to challenge his son: He needs to survive on the island. This story seems rather captivating, but it's weighed down by a somewhat questionable dialogue. Luckily, for the show, the performances are excellent. Not only from Amell, but for its supporting cast. Moira Queen, Oliver’s mother, is a selfish woman whose purposes are still unknown, and Malcom is the father of Tommy, Oliver’s best friend. Another thing that I didn’t like that much is Arrow’s little screen time in some episodes. Yes, I know that the episodes have to be short and there’s a story to tell, but good God, at least give the Hood a chance to shine even more.

When Arrow shows up, however, is awesome. The action sequences suffer from some shaky cams, but they are well choreographed and intense. The final battle in the last episode was nothing special, though. They focused more on the Glades’ destruction. As I was saying, the battle scenes are short just like Arrow’s screen time but they are very well served.

Final Score to Arrow (Season 1): 7.5/10. This is a solidly entertaining super-hero TV show that not only benefits from its strong cast but also benefits from great action scenes, even if the dialogue could use some work. If you’re a fan of Arrow or even super-heroes in general, you won’t pass this out. I’m sure of it.
  29. Dec 19, 2014
    I agree that this show is far from being realistic, especially the bullets never hit him. This being said, I watch it with my girlfriend and we like the story, the cast and the fights. It's a good simple and fun show to watch.
  30. Nov 10, 2014
    Season 1 of Arrow is polarizing with a lot of strong episodes countered by a lot of weak ones. This show tries too be different from other shows, but with its similarity to Nolan's stellar Batman franchise + CW's forced love triangles, it just feels unoriginal. The flashbacks are far more interesting than the Starling City plot too. The season starts of episodic and boring but ends on aSeason 1 of Arrow is polarizing with a lot of strong episodes countered by a lot of weak ones. This show tries too be different from other shows, but with its similarity to Nolan's stellar Batman franchise + CW's forced love triangles, it just feels unoriginal. The flashbacks are far more interesting than the Starling City plot too. The season starts of episodic and boring but ends on a string of powerful episodes that sets up decently for Season 2. Expand

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 12, 2012
    The CW's best show since Gossip Girl.... it has a forthright narrative seriousness, a respect for the gobbledy-gook that makes up any superhero's backstory--and a game cast performing with the correct degree of seriousness. [19 Nov 2012, p.35]
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Oct 23, 2012
    Your interest in Arrow depends on how much you miss the troubled-in-love, conflicted-by-family heroics of Smallville--it mirrors that series' setup.
  3. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Oct 10, 2012
    This slick action-drama is based on the comic book superhero Green Arrow. Prepare to quiver.