Arrow : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 10, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.1

1. Oct 12, 2012
    It's the best series premiere of this fall season. Everything is right and it has a thing that reminds me of Batman Begins. I only hope they keep it that way.
  2. Dec 5, 2012
    This show is REALLY sorry. The writing is poor and the plot is truly being stretched out more than it needs too. The action is way too limited in comparison to the sappy love story and dramatic elements they are attempting to weave. I understand that they are trying to present this character in a perspective different from the comic book character, however, they are moving at a pace thatThis show is REALLY sorry. The writing is poor and the plot is truly being stretched out more than it needs too. The action is way too limited in comparison to the sappy love story and dramatic elements they are attempting to weave. I understand that they are trying to present this character in a perspective different from the comic book character, however, they are moving at a pace that is much too slow than is necessary. This story could have been over WEEKS ago! Too much time is spent on yet another rich kid who was rebellious and cared little for life or anyone else, then goes away to an island and is trying to come back and gain redemption by fighting crime. This tale has been told TOO many times and it's insulting. Give us a rest CW. Save the drama for the daytime soap operas. Expand
  3. Oct 26, 2012
    Awful show. May be suitable for kids, but if you're a fan of things like Homeland, Boardwalk, Wire, Suits, Dexter etc. then stay well clear. 45 mins of my life I won't get back unfortunately.
  4. Oct 14, 2012
    this was dire, a cheap knock off of the batman franchise. I to found the hundreds of rounds fired at the hero with none managing to nick him unbearable by the end. To say you have to suspend disbelief is a gross understatement, his disguise is essentially heavy mascara and a scowl. Its targeted at a specific audience and if your past a certain age this is not going to be for you.
  5. Oct 13, 2012
    "Machine guns fired at him can't hit him!" This sums up the show. So if you like your shows to make sense, avoid this. Also, cheesy dialog galore. Typical TV trash.
  6. Feb 22, 2013
    i gave it a chance and i am still watching it now that it's in their 15th episode. stephen amell's a decent actor but please, female cast.. do something with the acting. it might not be a really great series but it gets your attention that makes you want to see the next episode.
  7. Oct 17, 2013
    I really wished that the events Oliver had while he was still stranded on the island was a separate series. The status quo on Sterling City, the nonsense episodes sometimes, and the unnecessary hero-laden scenes were not pleasing. It was a 10 for the Lian Yu scenes and 2 for Sterling City. Making the score to 6.
  8. Feb 23, 2015
    We grow up with different comics on this side of the Atlantic so I'm not as familiar with the DC characters as most. So this was a treat. Nice adaptation. Everyone is hot or handsome which is easy on the eye.

They can act too, especially ,Steven Amell, the lead who is excellent. Some of the supporting cast are a little slight but overall considering the budget this is very good and very addictive.
  9. May 19, 2013
    Truthfully an amazing superhero show, that is perfect, since Smallville said farewell in 2011. The action scenes are brilliant, and the actress who plays Felicity, is my favorite. I am scared about how this will fare, when ABC airs Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. in the fall. I have faith though, and I believe this show is gonna stick around for a while.
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Arrow is a a fresh and new show with a different, and edgy theme. I think its dramatic, and action mix keeps us viewer on the edge of our seat, and restless for more. It fits in the trend of giving a twist to a story commonly told, and the plot is well sequenced. I truly think it is a show with a long and prosporous future Expand
  11. Mar 2, 2013
    Surprisingly well written and produced show from what is generally a teen soap trash network (CW). I was expecting Good lucking young actors in a poorly acted and written soap with more romantic intrigue than mystery, emotional depth or character development. What I go tinstead was only a few of those, which I can stomach. The acting is still subpar and leave much to be desired, but theSurprisingly well written and produced show from what is generally a teen soap trash network (CW). I was expecting Good lucking young actors in a poorly acted and written soap with more romantic intrigue than mystery, emotional depth or character development. What I go tinstead was only a few of those, which I can stomach. The acting is still subpar and leave much to be desired, but the writing is very tight and the moderation of romantic fluff is appreciated. Yes, it is still filled with hotties making the the whole thing less believable, but a female viewership is always on the CW's mind. Expand
  12. Feb 7, 2013
    Very good depiction of one of DC's main characters. I love this version of Oliver Queen and despite many people's opinions, I love this show. I have followed DC comics from my early years and have watched almost everything by DC (movies/shows). The plot is intense and the flashback to his days on the island are very insightful and very well incorporated into his life on a day-to-day basis.Very good depiction of one of DC's main characters. I love this version of Oliver Queen and despite many people's opinions, I love this show. I have followed DC comics from my early years and have watched almost everything by DC (movies/shows). The plot is intense and the flashback to his days on the island are very insightful and very well incorporated into his life on a day-to-day basis. The writers reference others in the Green Arrow's comic book world very well. They foreshadow characters like the villains Dark Archer and Merlin or even a potential side kick "Speedy", very important characters in Oliver's comic book universe. The pilot of kind of rocky but improved exponentially as each episode passed. Looking forward to a season 2. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2013
    I like big Hollywood comic book movies, but they should all be ashamed on the amount of money they spend on production compared to what this show accomplished in it's finale. It was phenomenal.
  14. Feb 19, 2015
    Great first season which just gets better in the second. The action is on par with shows like the walking dead and 24. The acting gets better with every episode.
  15. Feb 8, 2013
    As a porting from a comic I think is wonderful. Many people in these reviews either don't know the subject or know it too much, so the first make comparisons with Batman, others complains about not being enough true to the comic.

Green Arrow can actually be similar to Batman... it's a rich man that turn vigilante... but it's also very different because his alter ego is born from a desire for redemption (for being a careless playboy) and not revenge for the death of his parents. So it's a more "flamboyant" hero (his inspiration is Robin Hood), but is also a survivor and a "ex bad-boy" so has less moral ties than Batman (he has no problem killing villains). It's darker than Batman as setting, with more "city crime" (Italian, Chinese, Russian Mafia, white collars criminals, etc...) and less "freaky" villains.

The show is in the middle... this Ollie only pretend to be a playboy (the comic version character retains some of these traits) and the introduction on the show of (impossible?) love affairs keeps him away from the hill. And then there is relationship with the family, that make the series also more "family drama".

I think it's a good compromise, and I like it.

Amell has the right body and attitude for the playboy super-hero... maybe not (yet) the right acting skill... but he can improve... the others are good, especially the mother.
    I like also the flashback of his 5 years on the island... maybe all the show filmed in the city would be a little boring, and it help understand the character.

Good story and camera don't hurt either...
  16. Jan 7, 2013
    I don't think the plot is very captivating and the lead role (whoever that bugger is) is just unloveable! I, as the viewer, don't sympathise with him at all and I wouldn't jump through hoops for him which most main characters should make you feel. But then again, what can you expect from The CW?
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    This is a show with so much potential and hopefully we can get a glimpse of how good it can get by the end of first season. The acting ranges from poor to average, the actors should start getting better by the end of the season, since they have been with these characters for a while now. The action is fun most of the time, but sometimes its very unexciting. The tone goes for a darker feel,This is a show with so much potential and hopefully we can get a glimpse of how good it can get by the end of first season. The acting ranges from poor to average, the actors should start getting better by the end of the season, since they have been with these characters for a while now. The action is fun most of the time, but sometimes its very unexciting. The tone goes for a darker feel, it does work, but it might be a little to over the top. The biggest problem is that there isnt one main villian and it hurts the show alot. We get brief appearances from some of the villians from the comic books, but they quickly leave the show and it gets messy at times. That will be the biggest problem for Arrow, is finding how to progress this story and its characters. Expand
  18. Feb 24, 2013
    I went into this show while desperately looking for something replacing the feeling I had watching other hero/vigilante movies/series. I had to eat a lot of bad apples to find this one good one, but it was worth it.
    The story starts off a bit hard to follow, but when you know the characters it's just one amazing web of links between flashbacks, modern day-story and deep psychological brain-food.
    If you like action in between the typical 'I'm a rich guy I do what I want', there's no reason not to watch it. It's amazing and anyone who says otherwise just doesn't get the thoughts behind it.
  19. Jun 18, 2013
    This is an outstanding show. DC Comic fans are given a show the almost entirely made for them and them alone. A very Smallville like show, Arrow follows the story of Oliver Queen, aka, the famous Green Arrow! The shows brings characters to life, such as the Huntress, Black Canary, Deathstroke, and Deadshot.
  20. Mar 29, 2014
    A great show when there arnt too many filler episodes and when its not too "days of our lives" . Gets a 7/10 just because of the wholly unentertaining soap opera parts that must be there for a target demographic im not part of.
  21. Oct 11, 2012
    The pilot episodes does what's it suppose to do, draw us in to the episode. The episode itself is well done and David Nutter is directing. Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen does good in this episode and I am going to follow this series for now....
  22. Oct 12, 2012
    WOW! Good beginning for a superhero. Arrow really proved to be a better series than I thought it would be. It has that vibe, that potential and moreover, the storyline can be really good if written and edited properly. Although there were few mistakes in the pilot and editing sucked at times but I hope the future episodes will be better and well crafted.
  23. Dec 15, 2012
    What a great show. Once you "get it" it's hard to let go. While some have a hard time jumping in and watching bits and pieces the show is full of good action and a consistent storyline. The acting has been consistent, mixing fun and serious tones together frequently. Given that the show is on the CW, hopefully it'll stay on for a long while, although I'd love to see what could be done withWhat a great show. Once you "get it" it's hard to let go. While some have a hard time jumping in and watching bits and pieces the show is full of good action and a consistent storyline. The acting has been consistent, mixing fun and serious tones together frequently. Given that the show is on the CW, hopefully it'll stay on for a long while, although I'd love to see what could be done with a huge budget. Expand
  24. Dec 30, 2012
    I love this show! It is so interesting!! And the guy who plays Oliver is SUPER attractive!:)
    Every episode I watch just gets better and better! I am super excited to see what happens when it comes back!
  25. Jan 1, 2013
    This show rocks. It is darker and deeper than Smallville. The new Oliver has a darker persona than the one in Smallville. The CW hit this one out of the park.
  26. May 19, 2013
    This show starts off awesome. I was really drawn in. However, as the season unfolds, the curse of the lazy/overimaginative writer sets in and everything happens conveniently. Things don't fit in and people show up at just the right convenient moment. Very annoying show. Don't watch if unrealistic shows irk you.
  27. Dec 24, 2012
    Cheese cliche dialogue...cheesy chiseled chin male model actors in the lead roles - hell even the bad guys are Zoolanders. Found it very hard to sit through more than 20 minutes at a time. Yet another comic book given a poor update.
  28. Oct 30, 2012
    Don't expect Arrow to be the next great thing. But if you put your mind on the right setting, it may be a pretty enjoyable show. The action sequences are very fun to watch and Stephen Arnell is a solid lead as Oliver Queen since he's likeable and believable as a badass antihero. The acting is decent, but the corny and contrived dialogue doesn't help you to take the show any seriously.Don't expect Arrow to be the next great thing. But if you put your mind on the right setting, it may be a pretty enjoyable show. The action sequences are very fun to watch and Stephen Arnell is a solid lead as Oliver Queen since he's likeable and believable as a badass antihero. The acting is decent, but the corny and contrived dialogue doesn't help you to take the show any seriously. Specially the unnecessary pop culture jokes, which get annoying after a while and will be dated in 3 years. Even though the plot has every single superhero story cliche you can think of, it keeps you interested to know what happens next. Arrow isn't as cheesy as Smallville, nor as dark and gritty as the Christopher Nolan Batman films, it's somewhere right in the middle, which is a nice place to be. Expand
  29. Jul 13, 2014
    Season 2 is really picking up and getting significantly better. I think the CW is finally starting to get that what drives us to a show is content not, subtle marketing tactics or shirtless boys that make the girls swoon. Yes there are still some dumb immature moments and blatant batman like rip offs to drive up ratings. However things seem to be improving for the better. Lets hope thatSeason 2 is really picking up and getting significantly better. I think the CW is finally starting to get that what drives us to a show is content not, subtle marketing tactics or shirtless boys that make the girls swoon. Yes there are still some dumb immature moments and blatant batman like rip offs to drive up ratings. However things seem to be improving for the better. Lets hope that the CW doesn't backslide. Expand
  30. Jan 20, 2013
    For some reason it keeps bringing me back and halfway through each episode i wonder why the hell i bothered. I think it's because i'm waiting for it to get better every episode and every episode, without fail, i'm utterly disappointed. the writing is all over the place. small bits of well written dialogue are mired in chunks of horrible writing. it has potential but we're 10 episodes in, iFor some reason it keeps bringing me back and halfway through each episode i wonder why the hell i bothered. I think it's because i'm waiting for it to get better every episode and every episode, without fail, i'm utterly disappointed. the writing is all over the place. small bits of well written dialogue are mired in chunks of horrible writing. it has potential but we're 10 episodes in, i mean come on. i wouldn't bother with it, the fourth season of justified started to weeks ago. watch that, then try and watch arrow, it's enough to make you cry Expand

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 12, 2012
    The CW's best show since Gossip Girl.... it has a forthright narrative seriousness, a respect for the gobbledy-gook that makes up any superhero's backstory--and a game cast performing with the correct degree of seriousness. [19 Nov 2012, p.35]
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Oct 23, 2012
    Your interest in Arrow depends on how much you miss the troubled-in-love, conflicted-by-family heroics of Smallville--it mirrors that series' setup.
  3. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Oct 10, 2012
    This slick action-drama is based on the comic book superhero Green Arrow. Prepare to quiver.