9.3

1. Aug 12, 2010
    Wow, what an awesome children`s series. The characters are all very interesting and the voice acting is done very well. I love this show and will definitely watch the upcoming spin-off!
  2. Jul 3, 2011
    Avatar the Last Airbender is a T.V show with some good ideas, but unfortunately the shows terrible dialogue and overly childish antics make it hard to stomach.
  3. Aug 20, 2010
    While this would be under the category of children's television I found myself quickly hooked into the storyline. Yes, the show does have some immature humor in it but if you watch past the first five minutes you will see it is part of the character development. This show has some of the best developed characters on television. Without giving away anything from the story this show features several very strong female characters. These are the role models you want your daughter to follow and help reinforce to your son the equality of women. While there may seem to be an occasional episode that doesn't drive the plot forward you will find yourself surprised at how a small event will play into the series.

So what is the show about? It is about a fantasy world trying to find hope during a seemingly endless war. There are four nations, each one based on "the four elements" of Water, Earth, Fire, and Air. The magic in this world is based on "bending" the elements to your will using various forms of martial arts. In this world the Avatar is the only person who can "bend all four elements (or more than one for that matter). The Avatar is charged with protecting the balance of the world and when he or she dies the Avatar is reincarnated into the next nation in the cycle.

Since I don't want to spoil anything you won't find out in the first 2 minutes of the show I'll remain vague after providing the rest of the set up. The Avatar has been missing for over 100 years. During that time the Fire Nation has been destroying the world. The rest of the show follows the exploits of several young teens as they find the missing Avatar and try to help him save the world.
  4. Aug 30, 2010
    The best show Nickelodeon has put out within 2000-2005. And the best show that remained and ended in 2008. i am a huge fan. All children who have an imagination and sense of fantasy would love this. Each episode is jam-packed with suspense, action, comedy, and some episodes are stronger on one of those qualities. each character is at least one character you can relate to, for me it Sokka. If you have no imagination whatsoever go back to watching Ren and Stimpy and be stuck in the 90's. Rest of you, check it out Expand
  5. Sep 7, 2010
    I didn't watch this show until about a month before the crappy movie came out. I had no idea what I was missing. Fantastic show that's not just for kids. Great animation, great script. It's kind of upsetting that I can't bend anything though.
  6. Jan 16, 2011
    Best series ever created !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Feb 13, 2011
    Easily the best animation series ever created and probably one of the best series ever made for all the different genres!!! Even better than the avatar movie with the blue people Lol:-)
  8. Apr 30, 2011
    Just finished it not less than 1 minute ago. This show is nothing less of perfect. I remember catching a few episodes here and there as a kid, but never took the time to sit down and watch it through until recently. Even while in my 20s, this show is everything that you could want out of a series. Great characters & character development, great plot, great art, great action, great music.....the list goes on. Unlike many modern shows, the creators took the Japanese approach and had a set story arc and vowed not to drag the show out past it's prime. The only complaint I may have is that there were a few too many filler episodes in the second season....but all shows have that so really no big deal. It's hard to get people to watch this show since it's a "kids" show, but it really is one of the greatest works of fiction I have ever seen or read. I would say the story is on par with that of The Lord of the Rings, with a tad less lore. I can't wait to see what the creators do to expand the universe they've created. A must watch. Expand
  9. Aug 2, 2011
    Best Show of all time! I dare you to find a show as Character developed or as fun as this Show. it has the most gripping story you could ever hope for and thats just the begining. I was never excited this much for a cartoon to release new episodes and that's saying alot, so this is a must see show for Everyone.
  10. Nov 26, 2010
    OH MY GOSH LOVE THIS SERIES! Can't stop watching this show! But compared to the movie the series is the top of the pyramid. Sokka is so funny! Just love this show so much!
  11. Dec 4, 2010
    this is the best TV show ever!! it is cute, funny, and hilarious. it is a great show for both children and adults alike. all the characters have depth and are really developed; unlike other kids shows.
  12. Mar 12, 2011
    While beautifully animated and colorful, the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender just didn't have the "action" and "drama" of the later episodes. Still, they're thoroughly charming.
  13. Apr 5, 2011
    Excelente serie animada, para todas las edades, enseña valores sin perder el fuego de la guerra.
    La mejor serie jamas creada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. May 16, 2011
    The story is amazingly well done. Making you feel just about enough for all the characters. They had great development. It had the most amazing ending ever.
  15. Nov 8, 2011
    I watched the animated series: Avatar the last airbender recently and I was impressed as I have not seen an animated series as good as this for some time. The characters were charming and entertaining, the story and Asian influence has substance and the fight scenes were actually better than most movies. The animation was good and the character and creature design was clever and original. Why don't we have more children's TV shows like this? Expand
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    This is easily one of the best shows I've ever watched. The characters are all more well-developed than the characters in some of the best live-action shows I've seen, Heroes and Justified included. There is a depth of understanding to the characters, almost all of whom can be related to. The plotline is strong, and while there are some childish antics, that doesn't distract from the plotline at all, it just adds to the show being multi-dimensional. It's well suited to both adults and children alike. Expand
  17. Aug 24, 2011
    This is one of my all time favorite TV shows. A great cast of characters, a strong story, great animation, a good soundtrack, great voice work, and excellent writing. What I really enjoy the most, however, is watching how the team that made this series really grew and improved as the series went on. If you don't know what I mean, try watching the first few episodes, and compare everything (art, sound, characters) to the last few episodes. Overall, a great series that is definitely worth your time. Expand
  18. Apr 15, 2012
    Re-watching the series, I see how fantastic this series is. Usually, I would turn down an American-made anime because, well, they're just not as good as the originators. But Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the American-made animes that I've ever seen. The animation is flows well, the dialogue makes sense, and, of course, it's weird little quirks of humor. The only problem I have with it is the end. It seems a little rushed because of the consequences and repercussions made in the previous episodes. A lot is left to either wonder or will be passed down to the sequel series; Legend of Korra. Still, one of the best American-made programs. - 9/10. Expand
  19. Dec 18, 2011
    This is best animation series what i know. Storyline is so awesome and this is well made, this is also funny and teaching. This is not only for children! Topic is also vey interesting. I recommend this for all!
  20. Nov 23, 2011
    This show is so good i just can't praise it enough. I'm 27 and i still watch this show. the martial arts are amazing, the humor is on point and witty the dialogue is fantastic. A must see for anyone
  21. Apr 15, 2012
    Incredibly deep, fantastically voice acted, beautifully told, endearing, and wonderfully animated. Avatar:The Last Airbender:Season 1 is an incredible start to a great franchise.
  22. Dec 16, 2011
    dis tv show s d best n d urniverse i love aang it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome d cast s d main thing i like zuko s just awesome iroh s so cool aang rocks its very interesting ive seen d show for more dan 50 times
  23. Feb 29, 2012
    When I first started watching this show, I didn't expect it to be anything special. I was wrong, this is one of the best animated shows on TV. It combines epic story arcs, unusually deep characters, great animation and drama. It's a winning combination, and the result is a show that's good for both kids and adults. "Avatar: the last airbender" is high-quality entertainment and definitely a must-see. Expand
  24. Jun 23, 2012
    There's a reason it only has one mixed review and that got 0 out of 13 users finding it helpful. Watch the damn show. I'm proud to say this is the show I will remember when I think of my childhood.
  25. Apr 1, 2012
    This is literally one of the best shows you will ever watch. I guarantee it. The character development is better than any show I've seen. It is definitely a show for all-ages.
  26. Jul 4, 2012
    A kid's show at heart with deep undertones and fantastic character development. Sticking with it through the entire series is VERY rewarding even- no, especially to an older audience. Two scenes in particular from the later episodes were moving to tears. At fist it comes off very kiddie.. many jokes seem juvenile.. but the show quickly progresses, leaving you with the understanding that it all was necessary to bring about such character development.

Over time the kids mature, their skills and minds adapt. Some hard truths are learned - although some small compromises are made to keep it kid friendly. (Noooo.. that 30ft+ drop didn't cripple/kill the bad guys! They are just 'knocked out")

I am very glad to have finally watched the series recently on Netflix, I didn't realize what I was missing.

The followup series unfortunately is not nearly as good.
  27. Jun 18, 2012
    Best TV show to date, has so many things that you can reflect on in life, it embraces everything it means to be human!!!!!! IT is life. Very very good tv show, great stories, incredible animation and one hell of a journey that it has taken us major fan's to! May your life be peaceful and prosperous.
  28. Jun 27, 2012
    This is an absolutely fantastic TV series that anyone and everyone can get into and love. Rarely do you see an animated series delve into creating a unique universe and focusing on the story and characters. The humor is great, the romance between characters is cheesy and fun to watch, the animation is spectacular, and the drama is phenomenal. This was the highest point in Nickelodeon's history since the 90's, and can only be compared to it's sequel, The Legend of Korra. If only more animated series' could do more like this... Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2012
    One of the best TV shows I've ever seen in my entire life. The amount of character development in this show is very high and the plot is engaging. Brian is a butt.
  30. Jul 11, 2012
    loved this series i was sad to see it go but at least with LOK coming with a 2nd season in 2013 im excited to see what happened to zukos mother and things like that Mike and Bryan you struck gold twice in a row
  31. Aug 16, 2013
    One of the pinnacles of Western animation, excellent writing and very, very high quality animation.
    It is only sad that they made a terrible movie out of it that shares the name with the series putting would be fans off of this masterpiece.
  32. Jun 29, 2013
    Fantastic TV series, likable characters, villains and good story makes this easily one of the best cartoons ive ever seen. Its not only a show for the kids but also a show for mature audience. I highly recommend this to everyone.
  33. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is highly complex and evolution of characters is represented by the overall tone of the show. It starts very light and childish and continues to expand and evolve as the characters do. The subject matter is very intense by the end, but the show does a good job at highlighting the grey area between good and evil. There is a tendency to think of an Us (good) vs them (evil) binary, but this show works to dissolve this suggesting that the character's motivations are not evil, but just different. (Obviously, Ozai and Azula could be considered evil but for the most part these characters do not define the norm for the Fire Nation.) This show has many great morals and lessons if you are willing to think about it. There are quite a few fight scenes which are very interesting to watch sprinkled throughout. It is a kid's show so if you are not accepting of a little absurdity every so often this show is probably not for you, but I believe everyone should at least watch some of it and make that judgment for yourself. This is one of my favorite shows and I believe it really deals with a lot of adult issues in a really approachable manner. I mean the main plot arch is how Aang will overcome the Fire Lord and what he will do when they finally meet. Will he kill him or not, and if he doesn't what will that mean for the Avatar world. Expand
  34. Feb 26, 2013
    When I saw a part of an episode at a cousin's house, it seemed like just another average cartoon.
    Then, when a friend told me it was good and that I should watch it, I figured it's probably funny or something.
    But I didn't expect it to be so amazing.
    So deep, yet hilarious, the action here's better than the action in most other shows, yet the story's also more interesting.
    The
    characters are amazingly likable, the powers are awesome, the idea is brilliant and full with potential which is, unlike in most cases, well used.
    The creators are just geniuses.
    As a huge fan of shows like Dr. Who Torchwood), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note and many more...
    This is my favourite series of all times.
    (Along with LoK)
  35. Mar 25, 2013
    A show that was both funny and serious that was powerful and creative. The series finale was not, however, as good as the rest of the series. Aang seemed a bit too young to be involved in romance.
  36. Apr 24, 2013
    possible one of the best animated series I have seen for a cartoon. it has great animation. top notch voice acting, and a story that will entertain you until the very end.
  37. May 31, 2013
    Definitely one of the best animated series I've seen. The characters were well-developed, especially Zuko. The plot was solid, and there was a healthy amount of humor thrown in the mix. It's a highly entertaining cartoon. If you like epic adventures with great characters, a strong plot, and lessons from a tea-loving old man, this is the show for you.
  38. Jul 4, 2013
    Out of all the kiddie shows put on Nickelodeon, the Avatar series have impressed me the most. No, not blue creatures in Pandora, but a world that people are able to bend the "four" elements water, earth, fire, and air. This show has one of the most creative universes and executing it perfectly. With the story of Aang, mixed with the wonderful characters of Sokka, Katara, Zuko, Iroh, Toph, Suki, and much more, Avatar is hard to say no to. Its clever world and themes are just fun-fun-fun! "Avatar: The Last Airbender" has wit, style, a large amount of heart, and humor that leads it as one of the smartest children television series to date. Expand
  39. Aug 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The season one captivated me. Trip is a very funny, exciting and full of surprises suspensory own. I could not stop watching, I hope that the following are the same Expand
  40. Aug 12, 2013
    This is a very bold statement but I feel its justified THIS IS THE GREATEST CARTOON SHOW EVER. The storyline, the action, the character development, the chaos and fun, and the hilarity, not to mention UNCLE F'ING IROH the greatest uncle to ever grace the TV screen. Seriously if you love a show that is epic in story and action but also never misses to hit the funny bone you owe it to yourself to watch this Expand
  41. Sep 8, 2014
    Next to Fullmetal Alchemist and Deathnote, this is probably one of the best animated series of all time. The characters are all very interesting. It is good at making me want to watch the next episode.
  42. Nov 26, 2013
    This is tied for one of the best TV shows. Normally when I see a show that is meant for kids, I kind of have a sense that the show will be bad. But I was way wrong on this one. It had an extremely original story with it put together almost perfectly. It even has a good sense of humor.
  43. Dec 21, 2013
    The best series a have ever seen. Have fun, action a good history, drama, etc. Nickelodeon makes a incredible serie who never i gonna forget. 1 only word: INCREDIBLE.
  44. Feb 24, 2014
    as someone who is 18 i still love this show which ive watched since it first came out (was 10), its one of my favorite anime ever. for nickelodeon it has a complex story with good character development and some adult themes to it which is a good job by them to get not just kids into the show but teens like me. i love the whole bending theme and the characters and good action make it so enjoyable too. ive watched the series multiple times already it doesn't get old great show im glad they followed Expand
  45. Feb 13, 2014
    Forget spongbob, THIS is the king of nicktoons. This show had some of the best morals, best dialogue, best animation, best development, best characters, scenery, concepts, EVERYTHING about this show was awesome! If you see this show on nicktoons, watch it. You will love it no matter how old you are.
  46. Mar 26, 2014
    One of the best series I've ever watched. It offers an amazing story with an outstanding character design. It's sad the the series only consists of 61 episodes. No doubt: 10 out of 10
  47. Jul 9, 2014
    loved it when i was ten. after recently rewatch the series, i realize there's still some parts that need to be worked on. but since it's a kids stuff, can't complain. i just think that my fav character azula (i have a thing for badass villain), need more character development and maybe somewhat bittersweet ending. i hate how they show her in the graphic novel/comic sequel
  48. Jul 10, 2014
    One of the best television shows I have ever watched. The series is well paced, the characters develop throughout, and the animation is well done. It is hard to catch a series with this much effort put into it. There are childish antics / cringe moments within the show, but it is fitting to the characters and makes sense.
  49. Sep 1, 2014
    This has been around for a while, and i know its got the little kid kind of feel for a show. But to this day, this is still one of the most epic and funny anime shows I've ever seen. But don't watch the god awful movie.
  50. Oct 24, 2014
    I happened to catch the airing of this show during a day off school, and I can honestly say I can not have been happier. I don't want to go into detail about everything that everyone has already said, but take it from me, who has watched the series through at least four times, that this is worth the watch.
  51. Oct 16, 2014
    1 of the greatest TV shows ever aired, perhaps the greatest, season 1 of Avatar The Last Airbender intrigues you by blending humor, action and story perfectly, the story is great as it sucks in you in wanting you to see more, the characters are great in providing humor and emotion to the audience, every single character is interesting and is unique, the animation is great, especially when the characters bend, the Storm stands out as the best episode of the series and i won't spoil it here but the Storm made this show stand out as more than a kids' show, it's a great season to start off something great, i'll definitively give this a 10. Expand
  52. Oct 17, 2014
    In a lost age, the world is divided into four nations: the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation, and the Air Nomads. Within each nation, there is a remarkable order of men and women called the "benders" who can learn to harness their inborn talent and manipulate their native element. Bending is a powerful form combining martial art and elemental magic. In each generation, only one bender is solely capable of controlling all four elements. That bender is the Avatar. The Avatar is the spirit of the world manifested in human form. When the Avatar dies, it reincarnates into the next nation in the cycle. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.