9.4

1. Dec 4, 2010
    this is the best TV show ever!! it is cute, funny, and hilarious. it is a great show for both children and adults alike. all the characters have depth and are really developed; unlike other kids shows.
  2. Sep 7, 2010
    I didn't watch this show until about a month before the crappy movie came out. I had no idea what I was missing. Fantastic show that's not just for kids. Great animation, great script. It's kind of upsetting that I can't bend anything though.
  3. Aug 24, 2011
    This is one of my all time favorite TV shows. A great cast of characters, a strong story, great animation, a good soundtrack, great voice work, and excellent writing. What I really enjoy the most, however, is watching how the team that made this series really grew and improved as the series went on. If you don't know what I mean, try watching the first few episodes, and compare everythingThis is one of my all time favorite TV shows. A great cast of characters, a strong story, great animation, a good soundtrack, great voice work, and excellent writing. What I really enjoy the most, however, is watching how the team that made this series really grew and improved as the series went on. If you don't know what I mean, try watching the first few episodes, and compare everything (art, sound, characters) to the last few episodes. Overall, a great series that is definitely worth your time. Expand
  4. Aug 20, 2010
    While this would be under the category of children's television I found myself quickly hooked into the storyline. Yes, the show does have some immature humor in it but if you watch past the first five minutes you will see it is part of the character development. This show has some of the best developed characters on television. Without giving away anything from the story this showWhile this would be under the category of children's television I found myself quickly hooked into the storyline. Yes, the show does have some immature humor in it but if you watch past the first five minutes you will see it is part of the character development. This show has some of the best developed characters on television. Without giving away anything from the story this show features several very strong female characters. These are the role models you want your daughter to follow and help reinforce to your son the equality of women. While there may seem to be an occasional episode that doesn't drive the plot forward you will find yourself surprised at how a small event will play into the series.

So what is the show about? It is about a fantasy world trying to find hope during a seemingly endless war. There are four nations, each one based on "the four elements" of Water, Earth, Fire, and Air. The magic in this world is based on "bending" the elements to your will using various forms of martial arts. In this world the Avatar is the only person who can "bend all four elements (or more than one for that matter). The Avatar is charged with protecting the balance of the world and when he or she dies the Avatar is reincarnated into the next nation in the cycle.

Since I don't want to spoil anything you won't find out in the first 2 minutes of the show I'll remain vague after providing the rest of the set up. The Avatar has been missing for over 100 years. During that time the Fire Nation has been destroying the world. The rest of the show follows the exploits of several young teens as they find the missing Avatar and try to help him save the world.
  5. Dec 18, 2011
    This is best animation series what i know. Storyline is so awesome and this is well made, this is also funny and teaching. This is not only for children! Topic is also vey interesting. I recommend this for all!
  6. Apr 15, 2012
    Incredibly deep, fantastically voice acted, beautifully told, endearing, and wonderfully animated. Avatar:The Last Airbender:Season 1 is an incredible start to a great franchise.
  7. Jun 18, 2012
    Best TV show to date, has so many things that you can reflect on in life, it embraces everything it means to be human!!!!!! IT is life. Very very good tv show, great stories, incredible animation and one hell of a journey that it has taken us major fan's to! May your life be peaceful and prosperous.
  8. Aug 12, 2010
    Wow, what an awesome children`s series. The characters are all very interesting and the voice acting is done very well. I love this show and will definitely watch the upcoming spin-off!
  9. Jan 16, 2011
    Best series ever created !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Apr 30, 2011
    Just finished it not less than 1 minute ago. This show is nothing less of perfect. I remember catching a few episodes here and there as a kid, but never took the time to sit down and watch it through until recently. Even while in my 20s, this show is everything that you could want out of a series. Great characters & character development, great plot, great art, great action, greatJust finished it not less than 1 minute ago. This show is nothing less of perfect. I remember catching a few episodes here and there as a kid, but never took the time to sit down and watch it through until recently. Even while in my 20s, this show is everything that you could want out of a series. Great characters & character development, great plot, great art, great action, great music.....the list goes on. Unlike many modern shows, the creators took the Japanese approach and had a set story arc and vowed not to drag the show out past it's prime. The only complaint I may have is that there were a few too many filler episodes in the second season....but all shows have that so really no big deal. It's hard to get people to watch this show since it's a "kids" show, but it really is one of the greatest works of fiction I have ever seen or read. I would say the story is on par with that of The Lord of the Rings, with a tad less lore. I can't wait to see what the creators do to expand the universe they've created. A must watch. Expand
  11. Nov 26, 2010
    OH MY GOSH LOVE THIS SERIES! Can't stop watching this show! But compared to the movie the series is the top of the pyramid. Sokka is so funny! Just love this show so much!
  12. Apr 5, 2011
    Excelente serie animada, para todas las edades, enseña valores sin perder el fuego de la guerra.
    La mejor serie jamas creada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Apr 15, 2012
    Re-watching the series, I see how fantastic this series is. Usually, I would turn down an American-made anime because, well, they're just not as good as the originators. But Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the American-made animes that I've ever seen. The animation is flows well, the dialogue makes sense, and, of course, it's weird little quirks of humor. The only problem I have withRe-watching the series, I see how fantastic this series is. Usually, I would turn down an American-made anime because, well, they're just not as good as the originators. But Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the American-made animes that I've ever seen. The animation is flows well, the dialogue makes sense, and, of course, it's weird little quirks of humor. The only problem I have with it is the end. It seems a little rushed because of the consequences and repercussions made in the previous episodes. A lot is left to either wonder or will be passed down to the sequel series; Legend of Korra. Still, one of the best American-made programs. - 9/10. Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    This show is so good i just can't praise it enough. I'm 27 and i still watch this show. the martial arts are amazing, the humor is on point and witty the dialogue is fantastic. A must see for anyone
  15. Dec 16, 2011
    dis tv show s d best n d urniverse i love aang it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome d cast s d main thing i like zuko s just awesome iroh s so cool aang rocks its very interesting ive seen d show for more dan 50 times
  16. Feb 29, 2012
    When I first started watching this show, I didn't expect it to be anything special. I was wrong, this is one of the best animated shows on TV. It combines epic story arcs, unusually deep characters, great animation and drama. It's a winning combination, and the result is a show that's good for both kids and adults. "Avatar: the last airbender" is high-quality entertainment and definitely aWhen I first started watching this show, I didn't expect it to be anything special. I was wrong, this is one of the best animated shows on TV. It combines epic story arcs, unusually deep characters, great animation and drama. It's a winning combination, and the result is a show that's good for both kids and adults. "Avatar: the last airbender" is high-quality entertainment and definitely a must-see. Expand
  17. Apr 1, 2012
    This is literally one of the best shows you will ever watch. I guarantee it. The character development is better than any show I've seen. It is definitely a show for all-ages.
  18. Jun 27, 2012
    This is an absolutely fantastic TV series that anyone and everyone can get into and love. Rarely do you see an animated series delve into creating a unique universe and focusing on the story and characters. The humor is great, the romance between characters is cheesy and fun to watch, the animation is spectacular, and the drama is phenomenal. This was the highest point in Nickelodeon'sThis is an absolutely fantastic TV series that anyone and everyone can get into and love. Rarely do you see an animated series delve into creating a unique universe and focusing on the story and characters. The humor is great, the romance between characters is cheesy and fun to watch, the animation is spectacular, and the drama is phenomenal. This was the highest point in Nickelodeon's history since the 90's, and can only be compared to it's sequel, The Legend of Korra. If only more animated series' could do more like this... Expand
  19. Jul 11, 2012
    loved this series i was sad to see it go but at least with LOK coming with a 2nd season in 2013 im excited to see what happened to zukos mother and things like that Mike and Bryan you struck gold twice in a row
  20. Jun 29, 2013
    Fantastic TV series, likable characters, villains and good story makes this easily one of the best cartoons ive ever seen. Its not only a show for the kids but also a show for mature audience. I highly recommend this to everyone.
  21. Aug 30, 2010
    The best show Nickelodeon has put out within 2000-2005. And the best show that remained and ended in 2008. i am a huge fan. All children who have an imagination and sense of fantasy would love this. Each episode is jam-packed with suspense, action, comedy, and some episodes are stronger on one of those qualities. each character is at least one character you can relate to, for me it Sokka.The best show Nickelodeon has put out within 2000-2005. And the best show that remained and ended in 2008. i am a huge fan. All children who have an imagination and sense of fantasy would love this. Each episode is jam-packed with suspense, action, comedy, and some episodes are stronger on one of those qualities. each character is at least one character you can relate to, for me it Sokka. If you have no imagination whatsoever go back to watching Ren and Stimpy and be stuck in the 90's. Rest of you, check it out Expand
  22. Feb 13, 2011
    Easily the best animation series ever created and probably one of the best series ever made for all the different genres!!! Even better than the avatar movie with the blue people Lol:-)
  23. Aug 2, 2011
    Best Show of all time! I dare you to find a show as Character developed or as fun as this Show. it has the most gripping story you could ever hope for and thats just the begining. I was never excited this much for a cartoon to release new episodes and that's saying alot, so this is a must see show for Everyone.
  24. May 16, 2011
    The story is amazingly well done. Making you feel just about enough for all the characters. They had great development. It had the most amazing ending ever.
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    This is easily one of the best shows I've ever watched. The characters are all more well-developed than the characters in some of the best live-action shows I've seen, Heroes and Justified included. There is a depth of understanding to the characters, almost all of whom can be related to. The plotline is strong, and while there are some childish antics, that doesn't distract from theThis is easily one of the best shows I've ever watched. The characters are all more well-developed than the characters in some of the best live-action shows I've seen, Heroes and Justified included. There is a depth of understanding to the characters, almost all of whom can be related to. The plotline is strong, and while there are some childish antics, that doesn't distract from the plotline at all, it just adds to the show being multi-dimensional. It's well suited to both adults and children alike. Expand
  26. Jun 23, 2012
    There's a reason it only has one mixed review and that got 0 out of 13 users finding it helpful. Watch the damn show. I'm proud to say this is the show I will remember when I think of my childhood.
  27. Jul 4, 2012
    A kid's show at heart with deep undertones and fantastic character development. Sticking with it through the entire series is VERY rewarding even- no, especially to an older audience. Two scenes in particular from the later episodes were moving to tears. At fist it comes off very kiddie.. many jokes seem juvenile.. but the show quickly progresses, leaving you with the understanding that itA kid's show at heart with deep undertones and fantastic character development. Sticking with it through the entire series is VERY rewarding even- no, especially to an older audience. Two scenes in particular from the later episodes were moving to tears. At fist it comes off very kiddie.. many jokes seem juvenile.. but the show quickly progresses, leaving you with the understanding that it all was necessary to bring about such character development.

Over time the kids mature, their skills and minds adapt. Some hard truths are learned - although some small compromises are made to keep it kid friendly. (Noooo.. that 30ft+ drop didn't cripple/kill the bad guys! They are just 'knocked out")

I am very glad to have finally watched the series recently on Netflix, I didn't realize what I was missing.

The followup series unfortunately is not nearly as good.
  28. Jun 26, 2012
    One of the best TV shows I've ever seen in my entire life. The amount of character development in this show is very high and the plot is engaging. Brian is a butt.
  29. Aug 16, 2013
    One of the pinnacles of Western animation, excellent writing and very, very high quality animation.
    It is only sad that they made a terrible movie out of it that shares the name with the series putting would be fans off of this masterpiece.
  30. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is highly complex and evolution of characters is represented by the overall tone of the show. It starts very light and childish and continues to expand and evolve as the characters do. The subject matter is very intense by the end, but the show does a good job at highlighting the grey area between good and evil. There is a tendency to think of an Us (good) vs them (evil) binary, but this show works to dissolve this suggesting that the character's motivations are not evil, but just different. (Obviously, Ozai and Azula could be considered evil but for the most part these characters do not define the norm for the Fire Nation.) This show has many great morals and lessons if you are willing to think about it. There are quite a few fight scenes which are very interesting to watch sprinkled throughout. It is a kid's show so if you are not accepting of a little absurdity every so often this show is probably not for you, but I believe everyone should at least watch some of it and make that judgment for yourself. This is one of my favorite shows and I believe it really deals with a lot of adult issues in a really approachable manner. I mean the main plot arch is how Aang will overcome the Fire Lord and what he will do when they finally meet. Will he kill him or not, and if he doesn't what will that mean for the Avatar world. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.