Avatar: The Legend of Korra : Season 2

Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.0

1. Sep 2, 2016
    yeah... i thought it was good, but only in some parts and only few episodes. I liked that they were wiling to further the mythology with spirits, one thing that ATLAB barley touched upon. Fights had stunning animation awesome sound design and wear so fluent, beautiful look of overall art of 2 part special of first avatar Uan. However plot not only had a cliched villain, all main charactersyeah... i thought it was good, but only in some parts and only few episodes. I liked that they were wiling to further the mythology with spirits, one thing that ATLAB barley touched upon. Fights had stunning animation awesome sound design and wear so fluent, beautiful look of overall art of 2 part special of first avatar Uan. However plot not only had a cliched villain, all main characters were jerks at some point or another and the end fight, maybe epic and big scale but it has analogical finish, nobody dies and it all comes to a power rangers megasort vs Godzilla fight, which i find cheesy and dissapointing. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I felt that the steam punk style and the transition to a industrialized world was an interesting spin, and make sense since Korra is suppose to take place around 100 years after Aang. Korra is not The Last Airbender, and I felt that the characters and the situations, though a bit stale at times, reflected a more mature theme. My biggest issue with this show though was this season. I thought that a season revolving around the spirit world would be really interesting after seeing what the spirit world was like when Aang had visited and talked to the face stealer, but this season completely destroyed that aspect of avatar. In contrast to the spirit world in Aang's universe where it was dark, mysterious, and omniscient, Korra's spirit world looked like a five year old drew all over it. I kid you not some of the "spirits" looked like paper cut outs of kids drawings. The suddenly bright and childish appearance of the spirit world just didn't sit right with me. Then, to top it off, the avatar story of how they got bending was shown as a giant comic relief with what felt like no serious tone what so ever. I felt like something so important should have had more weight in it. Lastly, the fact that Korra can "stop being the bridge to the spirit world" is complete bull. So if your family dies its okay because we can just take a trip to the spirit world? I'm not buying it. The fact that the avatar is the only one who can bridge the spirit world was unique and an interesting aspect. I hate the fact they ruined so much of the importance of this with this season. It was a huge let down, and I wish they could have just stuck to more conflicts that reflected the era. I guess a whole season on the spirit world just doesn't work so well once society has made so many advances and the reliance of spiritual practices becomes obsolete. Expand
  3. Aug 29, 2015
    The Last Airbender was an extraordinary show with great writing, ingenious setting and marvellous animation.
    Legend of Korra season 1 was a good show with great writing and marvellous animation.
    Legend of Korra season 2 is a show with marvellous animation. Along the time, everything that I loved in the original series has slowly faded away. Instead of telling an epic tale the season

Legend of Korra season 2 is a show with marvellous animation.

Along the time, everything that I loved in the original series has slowly faded away. Instead of telling an epic tale the season two feels like a mix of million subplots, such as Korra's random journey to the Fire Nation and (eww...) Bolin as Nuktuk.

I watched the entire season feeling somewhat forced while doing so.
    It's watchable, but I'm not sure if it's worth watching.

The world of Avatar used to be full of spirit, emotions and a feel of destiny.
    Someone, somewhere tought that it was a good idea to add movies into the setting...
  4. Jun 8, 2015
    A pretty solid second season. I personally though the first season was better because I felt that I learned more about each character and that the story was better and it grasped my attention. The second season was good but I just didn't get what I expected. The story was decent but it didn't grasp my attention like the first season did. The fighting scenes were great and the final fightA pretty solid second season. I personally though the first season was better because I felt that I learned more about each character and that the story was better and it grasped my attention. The second season was good but I just didn't get what I expected. The story was decent but it didn't grasp my attention like the first season did. The fighting scenes were great and the final fight at the end to round the season up was phenomenal! Expand
  5. May 10, 2015
    Book 2 was crap. It started with lackluster writing and dialogue, not to mention a destruction of Korra's character to move the story forward. When we though we could get to the mythology of the spirit world, we see nothing more than a bunch of cute animals and two giant rugs representing good and evil. All of the conflicts jump out of the way and at the end we're left with a silly pacificBook 2 was crap. It started with lackluster writing and dialogue, not to mention a destruction of Korra's character to move the story forward. When we though we could get to the mythology of the spirit world, we see nothing more than a bunch of cute animals and two giant rugs representing good and evil. All of the conflicts jump out of the way and at the end we're left with a silly pacific rim fight scene, with little personality or emotion. The generic story was so ridiculous and forgettable I forgot about it entirely while watching books 3 and 4 just to take them seriously. Literally the only thing this book was good for was bringing back the air nation. Other than that It was entirely forgettable. Expand
  6. Jan 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 2 might be the weakest season of The Legend of Korra, but it's still great fun to watch. Some of the antagonists in this season are weak characters to me. Specifically Eska and Desna, Korra's cousins. Their motivations are never really quite clear, they are emotionless (intentionally), and you are given pretty much no reason to care about them. However, this season is saved by Varrick and Bolin's secondary storyline. Varrick and Bolin are like night and day compared to Korra's cousins, both of them speak with tons of emotion, are over the top and they have clear motives.

This season definitely has its moments, but the major conflict of the Avatar in this one isn't very interesting. The main antagonists goal doesn't make any sense and the ending doesn't technically resolve what the last few episodes were building up to. However the story of the first Avatar was nice to see. There just were not that many memorable moments in this season besides that. If you can't laugh at how messed up the relationships get in this season it'll be hard to enjoy, because it can be incredibly silly.
  7. Dec 30, 2014
    The Legend of Korra continues its course on becoming one of the most beautifully animated TV series of the decade so far. But thematically, Book Two: Spirits—which has Korra as a fully realized Avatar that must understand why the spirits from the mystical “Spirit World” are attacking and also learn about the history of the Avatar lineage and mythology—is an overall less than stellarThe Legend of Korra continues its course on becoming one of the most beautifully animated TV series of the decade so far. But thematically, Book Two: Spirits—which has Korra as a fully realized Avatar that must understand why the spirits from the mystical “Spirit World” are attacking and also learn about the history of the Avatar lineage and mythology—is an overall less than stellar continuation of character development and storytelling, where Avatar Korra and a multitude of other characters receive little to no proper progression. It’s easily the most disappointing—or more appropriately, “filler”—season so far. But there are definitive highlights that any Avatar fan shan’t miss.

The episode “Beginnings”—which tells the story of how Wan, a charismatic Robin Hood-esque boy, became the very first Avatar by fusing with Raava, the spirit embodiment of peace and light, and defeated Vaatu, the spirit of darkness and chaos—has a unique animation style and sense of storytelling of its own and is one of the most essential and beautifully told stories within the Avatar franchise as a whole. The setting and spirits—very reminiscent of Hayao Miyazaki’s most acclaimed work—take the series back to the heartwarming nature of the first series (Avatar: The Last Airbender, for anyone who’s not familiar). Another episode, “A New Spiritual Age”, which has Korra and Jinora get lost in the Spirit World, also has a welcoming warmth to it and even has a cameo from Iroh, one of the most beloved characters from the first series—I experienced “tearbending” for the first time since Avatar. When Book Two genuinely takes a broadened interest in its spiritual theme, it’s one of the most excellent examples of creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko’s necessity to animation altogether.

But elsewhere, everything else either misses or ends on a mixed note. The main antagonist, Unalaq, Korra’s uncle, uses Korra to open the spirit portals and become the “Dark Avatar” by releasing and fusing with Vaatu. Though many have referred to his initial motives of releasing the spirits as an example of “theocracy”, it’s more or less a stereotypical lust for power that contrasts Book One’s Amon’s more relatable goal of achieving equality. The subplot involving a Civil War arising between the Northern and Southern Water Tribes aren’t thoroughly explored and the scenes between Bolin and Eska—despite being voiced by deadpan extraordinaire Aubrey Plaza and delivering some of the season’s funniest dialogue—are filler and meant to force the series’ need of comic relief. Newer characters Kya and Bumi—Aang and Katara’s daughter and son and Tenzin’s siblings—are a charming addition, but the true star is the eccentric inventor Varrick, who even garnered a fan-base as soon as his character was announced. The most developed character this season altogether was Jinora, Tenzin’s oldest daughter, who represents a lot of Avatar’s Aang’s most charming qualities.

The finale, “Light in the Dark”, is a visually striking yet clichéd Godzilla sized battle between Avatar Korra and “Unavaatu” (Unalaq and Vaatu fused together) in the bay, which ends in another disappointing display of the creators’ use of deus ex machina, where Jinora comes in and uses her spiritual powers—that aren’t even fully explained until Book Three—to defeat Unavaatu before he completely defeats Korra altogether. It’s worse when the creators don’t even acknowledge that their main character wasn’t the one who saved the day. Next to the forced love triangle that is Korra, Mako, and Asami—which is fortunately broken up before Book Three—it’s an awkward conclusion that only worsens when the season deviates from its supposed focus on the spiritual side of the Avatar universe. Book Two: Spirits isn’t completely disposable and it has many, many highlights that could’ve took it into an opposite direction. Any actual character development exists in side characters and doesn’t quite reach its main character—at least not to a significant or satisfying extent.

Overall rating: 7.0 (only because "Beginnings" is a must-watch for any Avatar fan and gets a 10 all on its own)
  8. Dec 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Legend of Aang was awesome. Fun worldbuilding, great characters, great humour, decent plot. Season 1 of Legend of Korra lived up to its predecessor. The characters and humour were as good as ever, but what really blew me away was the new setting and the sophistication of the plot premise with the Equalists.

Cue Season 2 of Korra. Most of my friends have liked it, and felt that it was about as good as Season 1. However, I was very disappointed by it. All the characters from Season 2 have been split up, and to keep them in the series the writers have to create some fairly clumsy and uninspiring sub-plots. The main plot is okay, but waaay too rushed. The Equalist plotline worked in 13 episodes. The Unalaq/Vaatu plotline needed a lot more than 13 episodes to do it justice -- it probably needed 26-52 episodes, really. And this compression turns Unalaq and Vaatu into comic-book villains. They have no depth, because there isn't sufficient time to create that depth.

And the ending is just awful. The daikaiju fight between Unalaq/Vaatu and the spirit of Korra is silly, and really comes out of left field. Are they really suggesting that anyone can detach their spirit from their body and rampage around a city? The writers really didn't think that through.

The season is not a complete loss. The backstory with the first Avatar is very intriguing, and I liked the change in artistic style, and would in fact have like a couple more episodes of it. But these weren't, in my opinion, enough to save it.
  9. Oct 17, 2014
    Six months after the events of the Anti-bending Revolution, Korra, having learned to bend all four elements and achieved status as a Fully Realized Avatar, must once again become the student when she delves into the realm of spirits under her paternal uncle's teachings and tutelage. Now learning the depths of her spiritual connections, Korra soon discovers that light cannot exist withoutSix months after the events of the Anti-bending Revolution, Korra, having learned to bend all four elements and achieved status as a Fully Realized Avatar, must once again become the student when she delves into the realm of spirits under her paternal uncle's teachings and tutelage. Now learning the depths of her spiritual connections, Korra soon discovers that light cannot exist without the dark, and in a never ending cycle of creation and destruction, only she has the ability to maintain balance in the world. Expand
  10. Oct 3, 2014
    I thought it was a horrible excuse for a avatar season. The ending was downright lazy and completely wack.
    I mean come on a giant blue monster fighting a giant red/black monster. Wtf man
  11. Sep 25, 2014
    Pretty unsatisfying, with countless questions left over and I'm getting pretty sick of characters fighting for ten seconds and then getting completely incapacitated. It happens over and over and over again.
  12. Jul 25, 2014
    Two good episodes (Wan´s story) and then 12 mediocre 20 min episodes with no plot, but with a lot of plotholes, giving us the result of a forced argument and weak character development. Does Korra has ADHD or she can´t just learn from past mistake?
  13. Mar 3, 2014
    Lets get this out of the way; ATLA was a freaking flawless show. So it's justified that korra was a good show too, and season one WAS a good show, yeah, it had flashbacks to the old characters, but it was still its own show, and it was freakin good.
    That being said, I'm not getting the same vibe from season two. I didn't really rewatch as much of this as I did the other seasons and here's why: I'm gonna spoil a bit of the plot for you. Korra now has control over the avatar state and is fully realized, when a bunch of evil spirits begin to attack people. In order to save the world korra has to learn about how the spirits act and how she can stop the spirits from violating an ancient peace.

So do you see what's wrong with this plot? It doesn't have to be there. I dont care if it was "demanded" by the fans, Avatar is a story driven series and they've essentially created a filler season.

It's not entirely bad, there are a lot of cool characters introduced, like Varrick, and Vaatu. It's just that the plot is all over the place, and half the characters don't do anything. Also, the ending fight is freakin stupid. Giant spirits brawling in the bay? Are you serious? It's legend of korra, not godzilla!

Like I said, it is funny, the fights (although there aren't a ton) are well made, and the Wan backstory is really, REALLY good, like, ATLA good, but the season just doesn't hold up as soundly as the previous seasons.
  14. Jan 21, 2014
    A visually amazing and emotionally satisying experience, The Legend of Korra book 2 really did live up to my expectations. Character and plot development galore, this season really delved into the history of the Avatar World. And, unlike book 1, really developed its central characters (aka Korra and Tenzin). It may have had a few weak spots here and there, but the finale really let thisA visually amazing and emotionally satisying experience, The Legend of Korra book 2 really did live up to my expectations. Character and plot development galore, this season really delved into the history of the Avatar World. And, unlike book 1, really developed its central characters (aka Korra and Tenzin). It may have had a few weak spots here and there, but the finale really let this season end on a high note. I cannot wait for book 3 to see how these news changes to the Avatar World will affect these characters moving forward. Expand
  15. Jan 16, 2014
    A great season of tv! Filled with character development and plot development galore! LoK book 2 was a treat to watch and an amaZing season of avatar. Recommended.
  16. Jan 16, 2014
    Honestly, I know some fans are apathetic towards this season but I honestly really loved it. We really get some in depth detail on the Spirit World and universe as a whole, and we got some really good development for some of the characters. No it isn't as great as the original series, but still a solid season overall. Plus, Beginnings was just a killer episode!!
  17. Jan 16, 2014
    A pretty decent season of Avatar overall. I loved the world building and lore it provided for the Avatarverse. Also, Tenzin and Korra developed and really grew throughout the season. Not the biggest fan of the Republic City stuff, but still it was overall a better season than book 1. Cheers to book 2!
  18. Jan 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's safe to say that season two of 'Legend of Korra' took the strong standard set by it's first season and it's predecessor, 'The Last Airbender', and violently **** it in the face until it's tonsils bled.
    Just about everything good the series was known for was either completely absent or ruined.

Korra spent the first half of the season on her period, and was easily the most annoying character in the show, who's only true character progression was to regress into a depressed emo.
    The weakest part of the season, though, was the villian...
    Think back to previous series' villians... Firelord Ozai was a power hungry dictator who wanted to control the word... Not the most original plot ever, but it was interesting and it worked very well. Amon was a mentally scarred character who hated bending and wanted to remove it from the world, he was probably the most interesting villain ever portrayed in the series and has become one of my all time favorite characters. Both characters were also references to real life scenarios and people. Ozai was obviously referential to Hitler, and Amon was referential of Anonymous and other rebellious groups.
    Now we have Unalaq and Vatu, who wanted to destroy the world... just because. No ulterior motive. Just mindless destruction, which is something that was both new and unwelcome to the series. Thankfully both of these characters are now dead and buried.
    The only interesting part of the season was getting to see the origins of the Avatar Mythology, but at the same time it was insulting that it was linked to such a piss poor and under-developed story.

Nickelodeon only planned for one season and they should have only made one season.
    There were so many things wrong with it that I could go on all day.
  19. Jan 8, 2014
    This season of Avatar fell so far short of the bar set on the previous two series it's almost insulting.

The Aang series was amazing. There was depth and character development everywhere. Every character was memorable, had unique characteristics which set them apart from the others, and the overall struggle, while simple, was given depth by the characters themselves. They explored multiple themes which had repercussions within the wider world.

The first Season of Korra, while limited in scope, introduced a theme of equality that raised genuine questions within the Avatar world. They managed to create a primary villain who raised valid issues and yet went about bringing his ideas to reality in a way that was unacceptable and required intervention by the rest of the world, even if you agreed with his premise on equality. It was thought provoking, even if unintentionally.

Reviewing this season requires mentioning what came before because of how abysmally short of those standards it fell.

There is little explanation of the main premise of the villain. Why does he want what he wants? They give you hits without explaining anything about exactly how he turned to believing what he believed. What were his motivations? Why did he do what he did? We do not know, I don't even remember his name after watching, because he was that generic.

The entire struggle makes little sense, his goals and methods are obscure to the point that we can see that rather than being intentionally mysterious, the writers simply expected love of the series to bouy suspension of disbelief far enough to ride through the credits on the last episode.

There are two great episodes, where they return to the Avatar tradition of creating a rich world with a history which matters. They bring it back to the first Avatar, and those episodes are worth watching even without the context of the rest of the season as to why we're talking about Avatar Prime.

The rest is crap. Pure, unmitigated crap. The main character does not at any point undergo any personal growth that we can see or understand. Like at the end of Season 1 when she can suddenly airbend for no reason, when she finally connects to her spiritual side not because she has learned introspection but simply because she got depressed, she makes a thoughtless decision at the end of the second season with worldwide repercussions based on nothing more than "maybe this decision wasn't the best one that could have been made generations ago" and then the world swallows it with cheers.

In fact, in the last Episode one of the few decent characters (Ang's son Tenzen) actually goes so far as to say that he has nothing left to teach the Avatar. Uhh, at not a single point since we met her has she grown as a person in the ways you were trying to teach her to grow from the start, she has not learned a damn thing from you that you were there to teach her, and you're saying you're done teaching her?

Lazy writing. Korra acts like a stupid, uninformed teenager. If you want that to be her character, that's fine. But having the world cheer in response to that like a teenager's whims are what should decide the fate of a planet is stupid and lazy.

I have no hopes for Season 3. Season 2 was a showcase of all of the bad attributes of Season 1 with none of it's high points save 2 episodes which were expositional background, not current story development. There is nowhere good for the third season to go unless they retcon a ton of stuff and go in completely different directions. Something that season 2 proves the writers are either unwilling or unable to do.
  20. Dec 28, 2013
    I loved this season! Filled with so many twists and turns, it had me gasping for breath at the end. The beginning of the season was a bit rocky I will admit, but as it goes on the story really connects. Korra and Tenzin are the breakout characters this season. Korra having to deal with her attitude and how she treats people and Tenzin having to deal with his legacy. An extremely characterI loved this season! Filled with so many twists and turns, it had me gasping for breath at the end. The beginning of the season was a bit rocky I will admit, but as it goes on the story really connects. Korra and Tenzin are the breakout characters this season. Korra having to deal with her attitude and how she treats people and Tenzin having to deal with his legacy. An extremely character focused season that I couldn't be more pleased with. Expand
  21. Dec 28, 2013
    An entertaining season. Not as good as book 1, but still a decent follow up. Korra remains one of the strongest animated television shows airing right now.
  22. Dec 28, 2013
    A breathtaking and visually stunning season. Beginnings was some of the best tv I have ever seen, and it is a real testament to the writer's worldbuilding skills. I look forward to book 3! :D
  23. Dec 27, 2013
    An amazing, satisfying season that was character focused and emotionally satisfying. Beginnings was some of the best world building I have ever seen. An excellent season of tv.
  24. Dec 27, 2013
    This is some sub-shonen level stuff right here. Relationships are rage inducing, scripting is a total clusterfuk and ending is an insult to human intelligence. First season was somewhat ok but the second season is unforgivable. If i had not watched the first series (Aang) i would totally discard the whole idea of bending since there is not even enough attention to its differences (styles,This is some sub-shonen level stuff right here. Relationships are rage inducing, scripting is a total clusterfuk and ending is an insult to human intelligence. First season was somewhat ok but the second season is unforgivable. If i had not watched the first series (Aang) i would totally discard the whole idea of bending since there is not even enough attention to its differences (styles, strong/weak points, general lore etc.)

This is clearly made for sub teenage level kids.
  25. Dec 21, 2013
    Okay, season two is done and-again, this isn't Avatar.
    I know that people can't really separate the original series from this one, but people should. This isn't about Aang's world, this is the one that he built and again, I like it.
    Okay, season two is done and-again, this isn't Avatar.
    The problem at the moment with this style of storytelling is the disjointed style of writing, when they get it wrong-dear god do they get it wrong, but when they get it right, it's amazing!
    There were parts in this season that I loved, call backs to the original series, expansions of the universe and brilliant backstory built into it.
    Season 3 is going to be a very interesting thing to watch, I only hope that they finally give up on the useless 'Korra needs a Man' plotline and focus on seeing more of the world.
  26. Dec 11, 2013
    This season basically has two really good episodes (the Wan episodes), and then a bunch of average episodes, and then a few totally cringe inducing moments spread all throughout the series. A lot of the actual dialog that the characters say is just really stupid, and not fitting with what the character is supposed to be like in terms of their supposed emotional intelligence, background,This season basically has two really good episodes (the Wan episodes), and then a bunch of average episodes, and then a few totally cringe inducing moments spread all throughout the series. A lot of the actual dialog that the characters say is just really stupid, and not fitting with what the character is supposed to be like in terms of their supposed emotional intelligence, background, etc. Korra has a lot of good setting full of dumb characters.

The season ending was a cool series of fights I guess, but pretty predictable in terms of how it unfolded, and in retrospect I think I expected more than just a fight where Korra punches a thing super hard with spirit-hulk powers and then the bad stuff goes away.
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolutely gorgeous animation. Great character development. A stunning finale. Beginnings was one of the best episodes in the whole Avatar franchise. Awesome mythological universe building. And amazing fight scenes! All around, awesome season.
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    I really like The Legend of Korra, obviously it isn't better than The Legend of Aang, because Avatar: Aang is probably the best cartoon i've ever seen, and Korra it's only a sequence. If you like Aang, you will like Korra

There are no critic reviews yet.