• Network: Nickelodeon
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 14, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.5

1. Jun 24, 2012
    This show is so awful compared to ATLA I almost don't know where to begin. 1) Korra is a completely cliche static character-- headstrong, feminist and obnoxious. She never changes, never learns, and yet everything is handed to her throughout the show.
    2) No suspense-- the protagonists are captured dozens of times and they always escape. It's like watching a James Bond movie with idiotic serial villains who never achieve anything.
    3) Character inconsistencies -- Amon's character is completely altered at the end of the season for a haphazard conclusion. This is just one of many.
    4) There are a great number of plot inconsistencies to the point that it becomes very jarring. I can't go into detail without spoiling anything. 5) The love triangle that persists throughout just stalls the story and never resolves or ties in.
    The visuals and voice acting were good, however. Not much of a bonus, nut the initial setting was very interesting and had a lot of potential.
  2. Jun 9, 2012
    One of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have everOne of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have ever seen, I don't mean by cartoon standards, I mean this show is one of the best i have EVER seen. As season one is coming to a close. The voice acting is phenomenal and just like its predecessor, even though there is action and seriousness, there is always a feel-good value the show ends up delivering and I really like that aspect. The show is extremely creative and at the end of every episode, I end up wanting even more. This show is superb and I think everyone should be watching it. Expand
  3. Jun 15, 2012
    Not nearly as good as The Last Airbender, but this new series is definitely superior to many new animated series' and is emotionally involving and greatly written as well.
  4. Jul 4, 2012
    Had I not absolutely loved the first series I wouldn't have made it through this one.

Minor spoilers, nothing plot related per say. The tech vs fantasy just didn't click; it felt bland despite my initial excitement. There were many inconsistencies as well. One scene shows several firebenders casually using lightning to charge a generator (?), already established as being extremely

Minor spoilers, nothing plot related per say.

There were many inconsistencies as well. One scene shows several firebenders casually using lightning to charge a generator (?), already established as being extremely difficult for even masters to achieve. One of these is a main character who barely does anything impressive all season, he even casually redirects lightning without any training whatsoever. In the last series lightning actually killed the Avatar (although he was brought back to life via special means).

Korra is also supposedly a master of 3 elements, yet cannot metalbend, barely can defend herself from a group of 5 non-benders, and doesn't even actually defeat ANYONE the entire series. She never develops as a person and basically has her goals handed to her; she earns nothing at all.

Pro-bending was a cute background idea, a whole arc on it was tedious and boring, absolutely nothing impressive happened all season.

The characters are bland cardboard cutouts of previous characters.. without the depth. (Although I do like Tenzen, the older airbender) The romantic stuff was way too rushed and made no sense aside from infatuation.

Bo Lin was disturbingly upbeat and one-dimensional in particular. Did he have brain damage? I wanted to like him; root for him as an interest, however after the 2nd episode it became clear he was meant to replace Sokka... but without sarcasm, wit, or intelligence.

Also, supposedly metal-benders cannot bend platinum because it is 'too pure' or some rubbish.
    Platinum is a malleable metal when in a purified form, No damn way you could make walking robots out of that **** without the parts fusing together. (Yes.. mecha's.. pointless.) Not to mention they would need a power source.. never discussed.

I liked the art. Bought the series in HD on iTunes.

Pleaaaaase get the old writers back and either move on to another avatar, or fill in the gap between this and the first series. There was plenty of space to develop the characters as they age and resolve some of the hanging threads. (Zuko's mother..)
  5. Jun 24, 2012
    I went into The Legend of Korra with tempered expectations. I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and wasn't convinced that anything could top it. I was completely wrong, Korra blew away all my expectations and has taken the place of TLA as my favorite television series of all time. The writing is intelligent, clever and keeps the audience on their toes (sites such as Reddit wereI went into The Legend of Korra with tempered expectations. I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and wasn't convinced that anything could top it. I was completely wrong, Korra blew away all my expectations and has taken the place of TLA as my favorite television series of all time. The writing is intelligent, clever and keeps the audience on their toes (sites such as Reddit were a-flurry with theories between every single episode). It is the perfect balance of action, drama, intrigue and humor that keeps an audience captivated & coming back week after week. You watch these characters evolve, hit extreme highs and devastating lows, all the while you're falling more in love with each and every one of them. The show does have a few shortcomings, though. It is clear that the writing staff, though brilliant, only had 14 episodes to work with and did their best to cram as much as they possibly could into one season, which makes things feel a bit rushed at times; but the writing is still fantastic. For brevity's sake, I'll wrap things up here.
    If you enjoyed TLA, this show comes as an incredibly easy recommendation.
    If you have never seen the original series, I believe you will still enjoy this show for its stellar characters, well written stories and rich universe. Though I suggest watching TLA, don't feel obliged - you'll still adore Korra.
  6. Jul 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sure The Legend of Korra looks nice, but from a storytelling perspective this show does everything wrong. This spinoff has shallow characters, terrible pacing, and wretched, god-awful dialog. Most importantly, the season finale is the worst conclusion to a story I've ever witnessed, in ANY storytelling medium. If you don't know what I'm taking about, here's how the chapter ends: After losing most of her bending powers, Korra is visited by her past lives, who, in the last MINUTE of the series, restore all of her powers. They also give her the power to give everyone else their bending back. How this is possible is never explained. In fact we're never given a clear explanation of how Amon was able to remove those abilities in the first place.

It frustrates me that people are happy with this. Is this really all it takes to please a fanbase? Why should the writers even try to improve when their broken story is heralded as one of the greatest animations of all time? I don't care about what you think of the rest of the series, everyone has their own tastes. But the ending is nonsensical and cheap no matter how you look at it. It just doesn't work.

The fact that this show is getting so much praise is proof that people don't expect enough from what they watch on tv. If this is a masterpiece in storytelling then I don't want any more stories.
  7. Jun 9, 2013
    This was terrible compared to ATLA. I think Nickelodeon made another installment because they think this would be as amazing as ATLA. Think again. It was rushed, and very cliche. Nothing was really good except for the animation, that was it.
  8. Jun 7, 2012
    Mike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our BookMike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our Book 1 Finale which im sure will be amazing! Expand
  9. Jun 15, 2012
    If I had one gripe with the original Avatar series, it was the frequent location changes. I know the idea was built into the premise, but I wanted to see Team Avatar become involved in a specific cast of characters. Korra feels like a love letter. Everything is more grown up, from the animation to the setting to the Avatar herself, the world feels more like a place and the problems itIf I had one gripe with the original Avatar series, it was the frequent location changes. I know the idea was built into the premise, but I wanted to see Team Avatar become involved in a specific cast of characters. Korra feels like a love letter. Everything is more grown up, from the animation to the setting to the Avatar herself, the world feels more like a place and the problems it faces cant be solved purely with force. Korra is a masterful companion to a brilliant show. Expand
  10. Jun 18, 2012
    Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70 steps above that :) (like this if you get the reference!!) Expand
  11. Jun 28, 2012
    When I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case oneWhen I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case one pops up in the future.

I also liked its not a 'Hey, we are the heroes, so lets get rid of what we perceive as wrong because we are always right.'like most kids shows. Legend of Korra gives strongly made backstory of the villains and heroes alike. They gave strong reasons to why the villains are rebelling and why the heroes are going against it. Its not those cliché 'I want to take over the world.' like the first series.

For anyone who does not consider watching this because its a cartoon, its from nickelodeon and its main character is not a slender and well toned skinned hottie. Well let me tell you, this cartoon is like watching a Nickelodeon and Chinese version of the Games of Thrones. Its heart wrenching, blood boiling and a tear jerking show. I'm surprised this is for kids.
  12. Jul 2, 2012
    Definitely a good show, no doubt, although there were many more problems with this than in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Couple of things I feel need to be pointed out:

Whereas in A:TLA most of the main characters were kids, they're all teenagers, probably about 15-16, in this one. At first, the little kids thing is kind of a turn off in A:TLA, but you grow to appreciate them even more for it, and they tend to act either mature or goofy-childish depending on the situation. It really comes off quite well. In the Legend of Korra, though, the true main characters are just obnoxious, tedious and annoying. Petty squabbles and a pointless, uninspired love triangle pair together for a group that can, at times, be painful to watch. Worse yet, beyond the minor changes within the first five episodes, any and all character development for the main characters in nonexistent. Completely. I felt cheated, especially given the massive transformations presented in A:TLA, which I consider to be one of the best parts of the show.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, only the adult, secondary characters interested me at all. I liked Toph's daughter, Lin Bei Fong, because she was so reminiscent of her mother yet owned her own personality. Tenzin, Aang's son, is also fairly interesting, with a character carefully constructed of equal parts Aang and Kataara. Aman, the villain, is also interesting, mostly in the way that he's powerful and mysterious, possessing seemingly impossible abilities that allow him to overcome Benders with perfect efficiency. His powers are adequately explained at the end in a fairly satisfying manner, pulling together ideas from earlier episodes that seemed out of place until then. Regardless, it was somewhat haphazardly rushed together at the end, and Aman's character seemed to change without any true rhyme or reason.

Aside from the characters and the much more politically-inspired storyline (as opposed to the battle of good vs. evil in A:TLA, this is more of a battle where you can't say for certain who's right and who's wrong because both sides have valid and invalid points), it turned out to be a very satisfying sequel to its predecessor. Stunning visuals and effects, a beautiful, well-crafted setting and a technological revolution that transforms the world we know and love into something different. Different, but in a way that is neither better nor worse. The storyline, although somewhat rushed and containing little of the suspense of A:TLA, was simple and satisfying, bringing most parts together adequately although not to the extent of A:TLA.

In conclusion: For those who have seen A:TLA, this is a show you really shouldn't miss. For those of you that haven't... well, check it out first, and hit this one up as an afterthought.
  13. Jul 22, 2013
    I never thought I'd say this, but Avatar: The Legend of Korra is superior to the original series. Everything about it is just awesome. Korra is a far more interesting character than Aang, the setting is cooler, and the story is shorter and sweeter. It takes everything great about the original series and just amps it up, creating one hell of a show.
  14. Jul 22, 2013
    The best TV show to grace Nickelodeon ever since The Last Airbender. Animation is superb and gorgeous with hand drawn backdrops. Can't wait for Book 2.
  15. Jan 28, 2013
    Comparing it To the first Avatar cartoon while inevitable is I think doing a disservice to both shows. The original show stared out very light and the setting aside it was fairly standard fare for the time. It was only after they stared fleshing out the world and characters that it really came in to its own. I believe that Korra has just as much potential but that it was ill served by theComparing it To the first Avatar cartoon while inevitable is I think doing a disservice to both shows. The original show stared out very light and the setting aside it was fairly standard fare for the time. It was only after they stared fleshing out the world and characters that it really came in to its own. I believe that Korra has just as much potential but that it was ill served by the decision to make the first season 12 episodes rather than 22 or even 20 as Avatars first season was. All in all I quite enjoyed it and am looking forward to the second season but it is a very different show than the original, that isn't a bad thing but it is something that needs to be taken in to account when deciding to watch it. Expand
  16. May 30, 2014
    The story is interesting enough to keep me watching and there are a few likable characters but other than that, Season 1 has been a huge struggle. Korra is an incredibly unlikable character who is far too generic (as another review said she is very obnoxious) and the numerous jokes are generally a massive swing and a miss (99.9% of them really).

I think the show would be a lot better if

I think the show would be a lot better if they cut back on the poor jokes and turned it more into a drama. Also, The lack of quality main characters really hurts the show as well. What made season 1 of the original Avatar so good is that they had the Fire Nation/Fire Lord as the great villain but the primary villain of the season (Zuko) was a great character. I think the lack of villains will definitely determine if this show sinks or swims.

Overall, It's not bad, The story does keep me interested enough to keep watching but if it doesn't end strongly, I don't think I will continue with it.
  17. Dec 6, 2013
    As others have said, if this weren't connected to Last Airbender then I probably wouldn't have bothered to stick with Korra. A lot of the Pro-Bending stuff wasn't really used that well considering the amount of screen time it took up. Amon and Tarrlok gave them a chance to deal with a lot of complex questions and maybe try to propose answers some of them, but they just kinda dropped it allAs others have said, if this weren't connected to Last Airbender then I probably wouldn't have bothered to stick with Korra. A lot of the Pro-Bending stuff wasn't really used that well considering the amount of screen time it took up. Amon and Tarrlok gave them a chance to deal with a lot of complex questions and maybe try to propose answers some of them, but they just kinda dropped it all on the floor and did nothing with it.

Compared to where Last Airbender Season 3 left the series as a whole, Korra s1 is a season of disappointment.
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    The story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animationThe story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animation is superb; it's one of the few shining examples of anime made for an American audience. The attention to detail of the fighting scenes is astonishing; for example, it's clear the animators spent a studied many hours choreographing fight scenes with a wing chun artist guiding them- as if Donnie Yen himself were looking over their shoulders while they storyboarded. Expand
  19. Aug 4, 2012
    when i first heard of a sequel to one of my all time favorite cartoon series, i wasn't expecting much out of it but wow did it exceed my expectations. On first thought this series does have its flaws, such as the character development, i admit that i did like the new team avatar but it seemed to be formed way too quickly, and at some times in the season korra acted like a stereotypicalwhen i first heard of a sequel to one of my all time favorite cartoon series, i wasn't expecting much out of it but wow did it exceed my expectations. On first thought this series does have its flaws, such as the character development, i admit that i did like the new team avatar but it seemed to be formed way too quickly, and at some times in the season korra acted like a stereotypical "icarly" character. other then that i did like the story and the mature themes that were mixed into the show such as political views and amon's back story. Expand
  20. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the whole season 2 was good for the avatar mythology story telling about the Avatar Wan and the sprits was really good but the whole story telling about the season was bad and fast. It could be better. and shameful season finale for the Legend and i think it was really poor finale not just for being an episode inside the Avatar franchise and also really bad script for its own and side- characters was not necessary for the whole season I m talking about asami,mako and bolin If they were focus on Tenzen, Bumi, Kya, Jinora and Korra since the beginning ,and they were get the story telling slow down at the first time maybe the spin off has been good but it was a poor story I hope this legend will be good again and has a good story telling just like the old 4 book. There is still hope inside of the story Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2013
    LOL
    RANT TIME...
    Season Two Episode 14. What happened? (Seriously, She did what?) Are we stealing Ideas From DBZ? (Bryan, Michael) Since the 'motion picture' 'The Avatar' franchise has lost ground with fans. (I hope you are 'really' reading) Nothing beats Book 2 Earth. (Witness the full stop) The layers were there. (Observation) The ending to THIS season IS Garbage. (.)
    LOL
    RANT TIME...

Season Two Episode 14. What happened? (Seriously, She did what?)
    Are we stealing Ideas From DBZ? (Bryan, Michael)

Since the 'motion picture' 'The Avatar' franchise has lost ground with fans.

(I hope you are 'really' reading)

Nothing beats Book 2 Earth. (Witness the full stop)
    The layers were there. (Observation)

The ending to THIS season IS Garbage. (.)

The best idea from the bubbling pot that IS but some how LOST the plot in the Korra season 2 finale is the presence of the spirit world in the physical world and its good and bad effect and pressure put on the population, not the views and stand points of main characters.

Any good fight scenes? (We all witnessed the LOL)

TO PICK UP PACE....

RE DO The motion picture. Not the parallel smurf action flick.
    ( I hope you were reading )
    Compress trilogy, to comprise of two books per picture.

Boy trapped in iceberg freed by star crossed love, grows and frees the world. Or just ba-sing se.)

If you can't get that film approved your a ducebag.
    The Avatar production teams needs a Varrick to spur things on.

A Blind girl protected from the outside world by her parents in the upper society of ba-sing se, learns to use her earth-bending abilities in her few hours she is outside a day, to sense vibrations of the earth beneath her to see her surroundings.

Writing like that is what we expect.nothing less.

What in the last two seasons compares to the scene where Toph was kidnapped and locked in a metal box on the back of a wagon with no sight and no connection to the ground, became the first metal bender.

The story of the first blood bender imprisoned by the dictators of the fire nation, with nothing but the rats she was imprisoned with learnt to bend the water in blood to secure her freedom.

The best thing about the transition to the future (Korra Saga) is the politics of the new age, the fact that Aang lived a full life and the presence of his legacy in this new age. The advancements of technology and the adaptations of the world population due to his legacy and the characters of the time.

I personally really like the pro-bendng championship but the fire ferrets is not a cool name. Chi blockers. Cool.

The introduction states Earth. Fire. Air. Water.

My conclusion is Book Air was a lose avatar remake to please fans and push for more motions pictures when a simple motion picture redo is needed.

Spirits tries to please fans more. Ario. But falls short of the layers of intricacy needed to form a leading character. Even now I doubt the new Team Avatar can, in an opening scene, ride into a fortified ba sing sa military compound, outnumbered and out gunned, fend off the occupying army untill face to face with the president himself.

RANT..
    OVER...
    Or is it....
  22. Dec 2, 2013
    Decent cartoon, but I can not get as enthusiastic about this show as I did about the last air-bender. The update is pretty and somewhat original, but the main character is so annoying it tends to overshadow that. It seems that whoever wrote the character was so afraid of getting accused of writing a "weak" female lead that they just made her a brute in a skirt. She's an angry teenager whoDecent cartoon, but I can not get as enthusiastic about this show as I did about the last air-bender. The update is pretty and somewhat original, but the main character is so annoying it tends to overshadow that. It seems that whoever wrote the character was so afraid of getting accused of writing a "weak" female lead that they just made her a brute in a skirt. She's an angry teenager who just wants to punch everything. And infuriatingly, it works out for her. Where ATLA was a story of a young boy searching for enlightenment to overcome his problems (which I thought was an interesting story, and made me want to see more because I wanted to follow his growth) Korra seems to live in a world where might makes right, and while there is some small development, it seems accidental and out of focus. I specifically loved the long-term developments in ATLA, and that is mostly missing in "Korra". Expand
  23. Jul 2, 2014
    At this point you can really feel the narrative dilution within the plot of LOK, as a result of the initial limitations the show. It is like reading a shonen manga with all the tropes, except instead of physical power as the main source of character growth. You have these poorly written emotional sub plots.

Another aspect of the show that is meh, is the overhanded approach to

Another aspect of the show that is meh, is the overhanded approach to introducing moral problems. I think that the setting and the tone of the show as a whole, painted the narrative into these preordained corners. That or they are just grasping at straws trying to find away to make money by keeping the show alive.

What meaningful character growth that was saw in the first season has been devalued by the repetition of this theme in different variations. If anything the show would have been better without the avatar, and focusing on the side characters development.

Sadly, the only things that are keeping the show alive are the art style, strong voice acting, and action animations. So basically LOK feels like something akin to a shonen. If that is your fancy all the more too you, but if you are looking for the depth that was in ATLB look elsewhere.
  24. Jun 21, 2012
    Visually it is breathtaking, and the plot is clever and original. This is one of the few shows that I have cried in one scene and in the next wanting more. Nickelodeon has outdone its self again. Although it will never be as good as the original, Korra is pretty damn close!
  25. Jul 14, 2012
    The Legend of Korra is incredible, it's not Aang anymore. With that tight plot, world paradox, could bear uneven parts. Let me tell you this, don't make M. Night Shyamalan ruin this.
  26. Jun 27, 2012
    A:TLA was virtually flawless from episode to episode, and this isn't quite the case with Korra. However it's still definitely worth a watch. The animation is much improved from the original, and it's much darker in tone than the original series (I can't believe how Nick let some of the stuff in the show slip pass) The show is constantly engaging and extremely intense, with the cliffhangersA:TLA was virtually flawless from episode to episode, and this isn't quite the case with Korra. However it's still definitely worth a watch. The animation is much improved from the original, and it's much darker in tone than the original series (I can't believe how Nick let some of the stuff in the show slip pass) The show is constantly engaging and extremely intense, with the cliffhangers at the end of each episode leaving you wanting more. However, this season really needed more episodes since there was a big lack in character development, the love triangle was insipid and the ending is just too convenient. By the time the smoke clears though, it's a worthy follow up to original series. Expand
  27. Sep 6, 2013
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    This series should be taken on its own merits and not compared to the original series, it's a wonderfully entertaining first series expansion of the Last Airbender universe, which up to now we've not seen anything else(discounting the comics, which are brilliant btw) it shows what happens after saving the world.
    As of now Season 2 is just
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    As of now Season 2 is just around the corner, so catch it on DVD or any local available download service, it's worth it.
  28. Jun 24, 2012
    This show has struck me as an even more powerful storytelling show than the original series. I always adored the original series as a visual marvel and this one is no different. Its pure art.
  29. Jun 24, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the The Last Airbender series and this one just blows me away. If you haven't watched this, go and do so now. It is the best animated series on television. I can't wait for season two.
  30. Nov 20, 2012
    It will take a bit of time to get your head around just how.... different everything is. So different it almost doesn't remember Avatar at all, but that is somewhat the point. The more I watched the more I liked the storyline and plot and while it still didn't answer some of the questions left from The Last Airbender, I think it was a wise move to progress things with a different groupIt will take a bit of time to get your head around just how.... different everything is. So different it almost doesn't remember Avatar at all, but that is somewhat the point. The more I watched the more I liked the storyline and plot and while it still didn't answer some of the questions left from The Last Airbender, I think it was a wise move to progress things with a different group rather than being stuck in the box of trying to think up of more story and action for the original group that doesn't quite justify itself. Expand
  31. Oct 24, 2012
    Dazzlingly animated, while it is technically based in the same world as its previous series, The Legend of Korra spectacularly separates itself enough to make room for wider plot devices, settings, and character development in order to grasp unconverted viewers, yet it has enough references and similarities to hang onto longtime fans. Its 1920's-esque setting is refreshing, its animationDazzlingly animated, while it is technically based in the same world as its previous series, The Legend of Korra spectacularly separates itself enough to make room for wider plot devices, settings, and character development in order to grasp unconverted viewers, yet it has enough references and similarities to hang onto longtime fans. Its 1920's-esque setting is refreshing, its animation is glossy, its action sequences are glossy, and the drama is darker and deeper than its quirkier predecessor. However, Legend of Korra begins to fall from its spotlight when its finale arrives, where the series' detailed plot devices begin to feel paced and rushed, "deus ex machina" moments are far more than noticeable, and main protagonist Korra is handed almost every solution without properly earning it, unlike the previous series' protagonist Aang, who dealt with far worse. But overall, this series is has more than enough potential to be given a chance by audiences of all ages, whether you admire its anime-esque animation or divine setting. Expand
  32. Jun 19, 2012
    Everything I loved about the original series, complex characters, amazing overlapping story arcs, exquisite voice acting, has been reduced down here. While it may not be as stunning as the original it is still one of the best series on television. The writing, the animation, the characters are all done so well, and every aspect is still equally wonderful.
  33. Jun 24, 2012
    As a fan of the original avatar show I can say that the legend of korra outdoes the original in almost every way. Better visuals, likable characters, fantastic story, awesome action sequences, and lots of memorable moments. Downright fantastic show
  34. Jun 25, 2012
    GRIPPING AND UNPREDICTABLE ,AVATAR THE LEGEND OF KORRA LIVES UPTO EXPECTATIONS OF STANDARDS SET BY ITS PREDECESSOR AVATAR:THE LAST AIRBENDER.ALTHOUGH THERE IS A FEELING THAT THE SERIES COULD HAVE BEEN MADE AS BIG AS IN THE NUMBER OF EPISODES LIKE THE PREVIOUS INSTALLMENT.THE MOMENTUM OF THE STORY IS PERHAPS A BIT TOO FAST,BUT NEVERTHELESS WELL MADE.
  35. Jun 26, 2012
    Best show ever. The artwork is beautiful. The plotline is engaging and I like the addition of dark elements to this series, to approach a larger fanbase
  36. Jul 1, 2012
    Takes the entire mythos of the original, localizes the plot, provides plenty of likeable new characters, while still providing a hugely entertaining, well visualized story with plenty of laughs to go around.
    Being a fan of the original television series when I was younger, and then revisiting the entire series in one week in my late teens (meant to be studying), I quickly reaffirmed my love of the world and characters the series possesses. I'm happy to say that the new series is as good, if not better. It provides a darker and more mature plot and certainly focuses on relationships a lot more. This advancing in the storytelling works well since it makes the series more accessible to the fans of the original who have aged since its ending. To those fans of the original, there is plenty of nostalgia to go around and I actually found it funnier than the original. The new animation is top notch, enhancing the action greatly. Korra as a character is fantastic! A polar opposite of Aang, having to be told to be patient all the time instead of telling it to others. I think it would be inappropriate to compare her to Aang since they have such different personalities and their difference in age also adds to this, but she is certainly just as enjoyable to watch grow and develop over the reasonably short first season. The other characters are also very good. The length of the first series enables it to tell the story faster and more efficiently without the random side quests that were found in the original series. I think that the original featured those episodes so that they could further tell backstory and expand on the world. Since most people watching this series would have seen the original, there's less of a need to tell the backstory.
    Summing up... The Legend Of Korra is a hugely entertaining series providing a more dark and mature plot than it predecessor while still dishing out the laughs and visual finesse. Easily one of the best children s television series ever made, to date.
  37. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolutely perfect in every way. Pays homage to the fantastic original, introduces awesome characters and features a bad-ass villain with a truly scary voice. The action and plot developments are incredibly fast paced. Creators of the original learnt from their mistakes and now skip filler episodes!
  38. Jul 4, 2012
    While not near as good as Last Airbender, this is still very good. I would have to say the only downfall is the completely over emotional and under powered portrayal of the avatar. Ang was younger and had far less training and was able to destroy people without hardly a challenge, Korra just, well, cant.
  39. Jul 10, 2012
    My only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actuallyMy only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actually happened, which is why I'm only giving the show a 9. "A point off for NO filler episodes? Wouldn't you actually WANT them?" you must be asking yourself. Well, in the case of Avatar, the filler episodes can actually be the best standout ones that fans actually love. The Southern Raiders, Ember Island Players, Tales of Ba Sing Se, and The Puppetmaster are some of my favorites, and they were just filler episodes! So yes, The Lgend of Korra is a fantastic show, but it's incredibly rushed because of the season orders it was given by Nick. Expand
  40. Jul 11, 2012
    i know its different from ATLA but i still loved it because in this series there older so there's more complexity to there stories because theirs more to tell and we might actually find out what happened to zukos mom plus the season finale was amazing the best was korras air bending all in all if you havent watched this series i think you should
  41. Jul 19, 2012
    PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW FOR LEGEND OF KORRA I was a huge fan of Avatar The Last Airbender and I admit that I was worried about how the creators were going to resurrect the success of the original series with the Legend of Korra, but as I watched the season premiere I was able to have a great sigh of relief. Not only is Legend of Korra a great TV show, it brings back the samePLEASE READ THIS REVIEW FOR LEGEND OF KORRA I was a huge fan of Avatar The Last Airbender and I admit that I was worried about how the creators were going to resurrect the success of the original series with the Legend of Korra, but as I watched the season premiere I was able to have a great sigh of relief. Not only is Legend of Korra a great TV show, it brings back the same excellent story telling, well developed characters, and stylish visuals that fans of The Last Airbender had much desired, while also feeling fresh. The more mature themes and darker tone of the Legend of Korra provides an interesting take on the bending world we've come to know and love, where scum walks the streets and extremists threaten society. A lot of the characters share very similar personality traits to characters from the original series, such as Bolin being an obvious replacement for Sokka, but yet again Legend of Korra is able to cover these things with a new layer of paint, making everything feel new. As was expected, the voice acting, visual quality, and audio quality is top notch allowing for incredible presentation throughout the season. I could go into more details about why Legend of Korra is amazing, but this is supposed to be a short review. I'll just conclude with the fact that the show isn't perfect, but the shear amount of positive things it has going for it almost completely overlaps any negatives and I think that nobody of any age, as it will likely appeal to any age group, should miss out on what could be one of the best animated TV shows of all time (the Avatar series). Also, in response to StoutCarrot's mediocre review... I was extremely suprised by how little you either know or understand about this TV show. Your review is so unexpectedly inaccurate that it angered me. Your review is literally the reason why I registered on this website, and I'm not saying your opinion is wrong because, obviously, anybody could have their own opinion about it (in this case, you dislike Legend of Korra), it's your justification for your reasoning that I found to be completely off. So maybe next time you review something, you shouldn't be so much a hater as a critic. Expand
  42. Oct 19, 2012
    The main problem with this show is that when Avatar had serious moments,awesome fightings and sometimes jokes and characters backstory (that compared to the other things above wasn´t THAT good) tThis show is the exact opposite in almost everything. Dont get me wrong,its a good show but its not like The Last Airbender. The plot isn´t as original as the first one and the villainThe main problem with this show is that when Avatar had serious moments,awesome fightings and sometimes jokes and characters backstory (that compared to the other things above wasn´t THAT good) tThis show is the exact opposite in almost everything. Dont get me wrong,its a good show but its not like The Last Airbender. The plot isn´t as original as the first one and the villain is not as cool as the ones from the first show. Now the main characters are either cool,shy or simply annoying and that is a downside. Its not bad,but to be fair,compared to The Last Airbender its frustrating. Expand
  43. Jan 12, 2014
    Firstly, I want to say that this show is NOT bad. The world building is excellent, it has its funny moments and the characters are reasonably interesting, as is the story. However, when watching Korra, you can't help but compare it to the Legend of Aang, and unfortunately almost everything feels worse in comparison.
    The characters in the ATLA were developed, funny and you felt sympathy
    The characters in the ATLA were developed, funny and you felt sympathy towards some of their tales (especially Zuko). The world was as good as you will see in a tv show and the story, whilst cliche, kept me interested. In contrast, the characters in korra often come across as bratty and spoilt, the relationships they have together are rage inducing at times. However, the world is still fantastic, the show adds to the amazing lore of ATLA superbly, the animation is probably superior to ATLA and the jokes, whilst not as constant as ATLA due to the more adult theme of the show, are still funny.
    That being said, ATLA is one of the best tv shows I have ever seen, so this comparison may be harsh due to the high standards the creators of the show have set for themselves.
    In summary, The Legend of Korra is nowhere near as good as ATLA, but perhaps that is just a testimony to how good the first show is, meaning it is a must watch for fans of the show, and a good tv show for people who haven't seen the Legend of Aang yet.
    PS - watch ATLA whatever you do, it's truly amazing in every aspect.
  44. Nov 3, 2013
    The Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuineThe Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuine and sincere. The art is fantastic; the visuals of the show are simply sublime. The animation is very fluid and intense and the depictions of the vast and inspiring world the show is set in are amazing. The characters are likeable, interesting and 3-dimensional The pacing of the story as well as its overall depth, the dramatic and intense action, stunning and fluid visuals, the very rich setting and atmosphere and its mature sensibilities combine to create a work of art. Expand
  45. Feb 26, 2013
    This series have made it to the top of my list of favourite shows, right at ATLA's side.
    Once again, the amazing world and atmosphere of ATLA with all its brilliancy, except with new amazing heroes and villains.
    As a huge fan of many shows, such as Dr. Who Torchwood), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note and many more... This series is my favourite series of all times (like I
    This series is my favourite series of all times (like I said, along with ATLA).
  46. Jun 7, 2013
    It didn't have the same magic that The Last Airbender had, but the show was still enjoyable. The characters were likable, although the development was lacking when compared to its predecessor. The ending of the season also felt a bit rushed. The animation itself was top-notch. Some of the characters, namely Tenzin and Lin Bei Fong, were very well done and were given good backstories.It didn't have the same magic that The Last Airbender had, but the show was still enjoyable. The characters were likable, although the development was lacking when compared to its predecessor. The ending of the season also felt a bit rushed. The animation itself was top-notch. Some of the characters, namely Tenzin and Lin Bei Fong, were very well done and were given good backstories. I also found the history between the two series to be interesting. I'm still not fully sold on the Avatar herself, but based on the last scenes I am confidant that she will become an even better character. While not as good as the original, it is still better than many cartoons today. Expand
  47. Jul 5, 2013
    "The Legend of Korra" is visually stunning, and has almost of the the "elements" from the first series to match its wit and spunk. The first season shows us the next avatar Korra, who is the opposite of Aang, and struggles with the spiritual side of being the avatar. Korra must face Amon, a nonbender who can take a bender's bending away, and he is frightening. With a vicious antagonist"The Legend of Korra" is visually stunning, and has almost of the the "elements" from the first series to match its wit and spunk. The first season shows us the next avatar Korra, who is the opposite of Aang, and struggles with the spiritual side of being the avatar. Korra must face Amon, a nonbender who can take a bender's bending away, and he is frightening. With a vicious antagonist and his army, "The Legend of Korra" is full of suspense and has a great plot. When the season closes, the situation though feels closed too fast, and almost everything feels done, but Korra's next season proves otherwise. Expand
  48. Sep 29, 2013
    Sequels are always hard. While Korra has pops of humor it seems a very very different world from the original series that and the first season was way too short. I am 4 episodes into season two and am starting to see an bit of where this series is going with its emphasis on spiritual balance, I think it will be worth it just to sit back and let the story unfold and enjoy each episode as it comes.
  49. Oct 10, 2013
    Only thing keeping it from a 10 is that I hated it the first time through because of all the plot holes but in the last 2 or 3 episodes they were solved... -ish
  50. Dec 17, 2013
    After such an excellent run with ATLA, it's understandable that they have trouble getting their footing. Korra is in many ways the exact opposite of Aang. I'm cool with that. What I'm not cool with are all the temper tantrums and the idiotic decisions that she makes, particularly in Book 2.

Overall, the cast isn't as charming as the original series, but it's hard to beat the original cast.

Despite this, the series does a good job of showing what the world is like after Aang, and the struggles that they face. Usually it takes a few episodes to get rolling, but once it is, The Legend of Korra will not disappoint. Although the first season was more of a side story, letting us get introduced to Korra, the second season has much more impact and significance.

Hopefully, for season 3, Korra won't be such a loose cannon, as there is a lot of promise in series 3.
  51. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Enjoyed the beginning of this series, its not perfect but really started to rope me in, however towards the end it bugged the crap out of me.
    The final episode is just terrible, as Korra loses most of her powers, goes off and sulks about it, then magically gets them all back for no good reason. At what point is she supposed to learn anything?
    The defeat of the main villain is equally disappointing, can't help but think that they were expecting the show to be cancelled or something, the end definitely feels rushed.
  52. Mar 8, 2014
    Legend of korra isn't as good as ATLAB but its a nice sequel if you can call it that) for lovers of the first avatar. i like how you get to see how the future shaped up after the end of last airbender and how some of the characters descendants lives turn out. the animations/artwork are gorgeous and well done. acting was good the only thing i have against the show is the story isn't as wellLegend of korra isn't as good as ATLAB but its a nice sequel if you can call it that) for lovers of the first avatar. i like how you get to see how the future shaped up after the end of last airbender and how some of the characters descendants lives turn out. the animations/artwork are gorgeous and well done. acting was good the only thing i have against the show is the story isn't as well done as the first one and the characters are a little more static.but besides that i like follow up and thought season 2 was well done. Expand
  53. Jun 13, 2014
    A surprisingly (at least to me) amazing series. Once I got initiated to the world these characters lived in I've been a big fan. The series in its entirety including Ang's airbender storyline are second to none, and the kind of stuff I'd want my kid watching, once I have one. Despite its weaker moments it always manages to mix visually striking moments with tales exploring simple but deepA surprisingly (at least to me) amazing series. Once I got initiated to the world these characters lived in I've been a big fan. The series in its entirety including Ang's airbender storyline are second to none, and the kind of stuff I'd want my kid watching, once I have one. Despite its weaker moments it always manages to mix visually striking moments with tales exploring simple but deep philosophical meanings with its plot. The result is a saturday morning cartoon with a certain poetry rare in its peers.

Both parts of the Korra seasons are great. Knowing happened to all the TLAB characters down the line and how public perception of bending had changed all good stuff. The storyline about avatar Wan in the second season was probably one of the most magical and beautiful the series has been.
  54. Jun 13, 2014
    Legend of Korra is the best show ever! I love the fact that they've put a female avatar this time. I liked every episode of it, I enjoyed watching it. :)
  55. Nov 16, 2014
    (contains absolutely *no* spoilers)

(contains absolutely *no* spoilers)

Reviewing this show is difficult for me. Although I enjoyed the first season of "The Legend of Korra" much more than most of the original "The Last Airbender", but two of the show’s following seasons were downright awful. They were bland, straightforward, and predictable. They had little to no intrigue, and most of the time they were just boring to watch (it's worth noting: third season is slightly better than the second). If I wasn't 'sorta' fan of the series, I'd have stopped watching these seasons after the first few episodes. But I pressed on, and I'm glad I did. The fourth season is very refreshing in every aspect, starting with animation quality (it went down a lot in the previous two seasons), finishing with the story, which is currently having a few interesting twists (of course, all of them are predictable, as usual). Overall, it's a good show by today's standards.

However, it does have problems, big ones, which I just can't ignore. To make it short, it's a kids' show. Precisely, it’s a bad stereotypical kind of it. The show's creators used every stamp and cliché known to humanity to make it kids-friendly. By that I mean: straightforward plot (no intrigue or challenge of any description), stereotypical cliché characters (evil villains, heroic heroes, comical clowns, etc), black-and-white morale (no drama, nothing to bugger your mind with). All this was present in the "The Last Airbender", but I was hoping things will improve in the sequel. Turns out, I was wrong.

Seasons 1 and 2 featured villains whose motives were somewhat justified. But the main characters, our heroes, never doubt their choice of side. The show never accents ‘the other side of story’. This makes it appear like there’s no real conflict going on. Our heroes have to fight villains for one simple reason: first ones are good guys, second ones are baddies. And that’s it, there’s no real depth. There could’ve been depth, but, I guess, creators thought that kids’ brains can’t handle it. Too bad, because the show would’ve been much better if it wasn’t so.

The second and my most hated problem of the show is… the clowns. For some reason, creators seem to feel the need to keep the show comical. But they have no talent to do it the right way. So, what they do, is that they include characters, whose only special detail is that they are stupid. Yes, exactly. They are stupid, and everything they do becomes a joke. For someone like me, stupidity is embarrassing more often than it is funny. This bothered me in "The Last Airbender", and it bothers me now. "The Legend of Korra" seems to have twice as many idiotic clowns with no dignity. It’s a shameful display – no better words to define that.

All in all, the show is enjoyable despite its immaturity. It has no edges (if you don’t count the clowns), so it won’t disturb you. If you don’t have anything else to watch, I’d recommend "The Legend of Korra". You probably won’t regret spending your time on this.
  56. Sep 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just amazing. It deals with serious themes as civil war and terrorism, but still has that emotional appeal from themes as the good and the evil in each of us and how to feel self valuable. The only thing I would complain is the low development from some characters, like the Red Lotus members, but nothing that drastically interferes in the show's overall quality. I'm really hoping that the Avatar universe series get a sequel as good as this one. Expand
  57. Oct 17, 2014
    70 years have past, and Aang, the previous Avatar incarnation who was the last airbender has passed on. A waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe is the now the new Avatar. Her name is Korra, a girl who is rebellious, alone, and ready to take on whatever issues or battles she must face. It is Korra's destiny to protect the world as it was for her predecessors. She has three elements70 years have past, and Aang, the previous Avatar incarnation who was the last airbender has passed on. A waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe is the now the new Avatar. Her name is Korra, a girl who is rebellious, alone, and ready to take on whatever issues or battles she must face. It is Korra's destiny to protect the world as it was for her predecessors. She has three elements mastered: water, earth, and fire. The trouble is, she needs to master air while there are very few airbenders left. Tenzin, Aang and Katara's son, is the only person who can teach Korra how to airbend and it is her mission to find him or risk losing the new world's industrial melting pot, Republic City, to crime and anti-bender revolts. Expand
  58. Dec 19, 2014
    One of the best animated series I saw in my life! The story line was stunning just like the ending. Season 2 has the weakest story but season 3 strikes back with stunning story. If you didn't see this series yet, now is the right time...
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    May 22, 2012
    Visually, Korra is striking. It's full of little tricks and nuances that only true fans will notice and savor, but nothing prevents civilians from enjoying it as well. The same holds for the mythology.
  2. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    May 22, 2012
    When her Airbender training is postponed, Korra travels to Republic City, where Aang's son Tenzin lives, so he can teach her. And that's when the fun begins.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    May 22, 2012
    Mostly, the intrigue in the half-hour pilot proves a trifle head-scratching, but there's a fair amount of action and an impressive look.