• Network: Nickelodeon
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 14, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.5

1. Jun 9, 2012
    One of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have ever seen, I don't mean by cartoon standards, I mean this show is one of the best i have EVER seen. As season one is coming to a close. The voice acting is phenomenal and just like its predecessor, even though there is action and seriousness, there is always a feel-good value the show ends up delivering and I really like that aspect. The show is extremely creative and at the end of every episode, I end up wanting even more. This show is superb and I think everyone should be watching it. Expand
  2. Jun 24, 2012
    I went into The Legend of Korra with tempered expectations. I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and wasn't convinced that anything could top it. I was completely wrong, Korra blew away all my expectations and has taken the place of TLA as my favorite television series of all time. The writing is intelligent, clever and keeps the audience on their toes (sites such as Reddit were a-flurry with theories between every single episode). It is the perfect balance of action, drama, intrigue and humor that keeps an audience captivated & coming back week after week. You watch these characters evolve, hit extreme highs and devastating lows, all the while you're falling more in love with each and every one of them. The show does have a few shortcomings, though. It is clear that the writing staff, though brilliant, only had 14 episodes to work with and did their best to cram as much as they possibly could into one season, which makes things feel a bit rushed at times; but the writing is still fantastic. For brevity's sake, I'll wrap things up here.
    If you enjoyed TLA, this show comes as an incredibly easy recommendation.
    If you have never seen the original series, I believe you will still enjoy this show for its stellar characters, well written stories and rich universe. Though I suggest watching TLA, don't feel obliged - you'll still adore Korra.
  3. Jun 7, 2012
    Mike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our Book 1 Finale which im sure will be amazing! Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2012
    If I had one gripe with the original Avatar series, it was the frequent location changes. I know the idea was built into the premise, but I wanted to see Team Avatar become involved in a specific cast of characters. Korra feels like a love letter. Everything is more grown up, from the animation to the setting to the Avatar herself, the world feels more like a place and the problems it faces cant be solved purely with force. Korra is a masterful companion to a brilliant show. Expand
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70 steps above that :) (like this if you get the reference!!) Expand
  6. Jun 28, 2012
    When I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case one pops up in the future.

I also liked its not a 'Hey, we are the heroes, so lets get rid of what we perceive as wrong because we are always right.'like most kids shows. Legend of Korra gives strongly made backstory of the villains and heroes alike. They gave strong reasons to why the villains are rebelling and why the heroes are going against it. Its not those cliché 'I want to take over the world.' like the first series.

For anyone who does not consider watching this because its a cartoon, its from nickelodeon and its main character is not a slender and well toned skinned hottie. Well let me tell you, this cartoon is like watching a Nickelodeon and Chinese version of the Games of Thrones. Its heart wrenching, blood boiling and a tear jerking show. I'm surprised this is for kids.
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    I never thought I'd say this, but Avatar: The Legend of Korra is superior to the original series. Everything about it is just awesome. Korra is a far more interesting character than Aang, the setting is cooler, and the story is shorter and sweeter. It takes everything great about the original series and just amps it up, creating one hell of a show.
  8. Jul 22, 2013
    The best TV show to grace Nickelodeon ever since The Last Airbender. Animation is superb and gorgeous with hand drawn backdrops. Can't wait for Book 2.
  9. Jul 8, 2012
    The story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animation is superb; it's one of the few shining examples of anime made for an American audience. The attention to detail of the fighting scenes is astonishing; for example, it's clear the animators spent a studied many hours choreographing fight scenes with a wing chun artist guiding them- as if Donnie Yen himself were looking over their shoulders while they storyboarded. Collapse
  10. Aug 4, 2012
    when i first heard of a sequel to one of my all time favorite cartoon series, i wasn't expecting much out of it but wow did it exceed my expectations. On first thought this series does have its flaws, such as the character development, i admit that i did like the new team avatar but it seemed to be formed way too quickly, and at some times in the season korra acted like a stereotypical "icarly" character. other then that i did like the story and the mature themes that were mixed into the show such as political views and amon's back story. Expand
  11. Jan 28, 2013
    Comparing it To the first Avatar cartoon while inevitable is I think doing a disservice to both shows. The original show stared out very light and the setting aside it was fairly standard fare for the time. It was only after they stared fleshing out the world and characters that it really came in to its own. I believe that Korra has just as much potential but that it was ill served by the decision to make the first season 12 episodes rather than 22 or even 20 as Avatars first season was. All in all I quite enjoyed it and am looking forward to the second season but it is a very different show than the original, that isn't a bad thing but it is something that needs to be taken in to account when deciding to watch it. Expand
  12. Jun 21, 2012
    Visually it is breathtaking, and the plot is clever and original. This is one of the few shows that I have cried in one scene and in the next wanting more. Nickelodeon has outdone its self again. Although it will never be as good as the original, Korra is pretty damn close!
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    As a fan of the original avatar show I can say that the legend of korra outdoes the original in almost every way. Better visuals, likable characters, fantastic story, awesome action sequences, and lots of memorable moments. Downright fantastic show
  14. Jun 24, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the The Last Airbender series and this one just blows me away. If you haven't watched this, go and do so now. It is the best animated series on television. I can't wait for season two.
  15. Jun 24, 2012
    This show has struck me as an even more powerful storytelling show than the original series. I always adored the original series as a visual marvel and this one is no different. Its pure art.
  16. Jun 25, 2012
    GRIPPING AND UNPREDICTABLE ,AVATAR THE LEGEND OF KORRA LIVES UPTO EXPECTATIONS OF STANDARDS SET BY ITS PREDECESSOR AVATAR:THE LAST AIRBENDER.ALTHOUGH THERE IS A FEELING THAT THE SERIES COULD HAVE BEEN MADE AS BIG AS IN THE NUMBER OF EPISODES LIKE THE PREVIOUS INSTALLMENT.THE MOMENTUM OF THE STORY IS PERHAPS A BIT TOO FAST,BUT NEVERTHELESS WELL MADE.
  17. Jun 26, 2012
    Best show ever. The artwork is beautiful. The plotline is engaging and I like the addition of dark elements to this series, to approach a larger fanbase
  18. Jul 1, 2012
    Takes the entire mythos of the original, localizes the plot, provides plenty of likeable new characters, while still providing a hugely entertaining, well visualized story with plenty of laughs to go around.
    Being a fan of the original television series when I was younger, and then revisiting the entire series in one week in my late teens (meant to be studying), I quickly reaffirmed my
    love of the world and characters the series possesses. I'm happy to say that the new series is as good, if not better. It provides a darker and more mature plot and certainly focuses on relationships a lot more. This advancing in the storytelling works well since it makes the series more accessible to the fans of the original who have aged since its ending. To those fans of the original, there is plenty of nostalgia to go around and I actually found it funnier than the original. The new animation is top notch, enhancing the action greatly. Korra as a character is fantastic! A polar opposite of Aang, having to be told to be patient all the time instead of telling it to others. I think it would be inappropriate to compare her to Aang since they have such different personalities and their difference in age also adds to this, but she is certainly just as enjoyable to watch grow and develop over the reasonably short first season. The other characters are also very good. The length of the first series enables it to tell the story faster and more efficiently without the random side quests that were found in the original series. I think that the original featured those episodes so that they could further tell backstory and expand on the world. Since most people watching this series would have seen the original, there's less of a need to tell the backstory.
    Summing up... The Legend Of Korra is a hugely entertaining series providing a more dark and mature plot than it predecessor while still dishing out the laughs and visual finesse. Easily one of the best children s television series ever made, to date.
  19. Jul 4, 2012
    While not near as good as Last Airbender, this is still very good. I would have to say the only downfall is the completely over emotional and under powered portrayal of the avatar. Ang was younger and had far less training and was able to destroy people without hardly a challenge, Korra just, well, cant.
  20. Jul 10, 2012
    My only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actually happened, which is why I'm only giving the show a 9. "A point off for NO filler episodes? Wouldn't you actually WANT them?" you must be asking yourself. Well, in the case of Avatar, the filler episodes can actually be the best standout ones that fans actually love. The Southern Raiders, Ember Island Players, Tales of Ba Sing Se, and The Puppetmaster are some of my favorites, and they were just filler episodes! So yes, The Lgend of Korra is a fantastic show, but it's incredibly rushed because of the season orders it was given by Nick. Expand
  21. Jul 11, 2012
    i know its different from ATLA but i still loved it because in this series there older so there's more complexity to there stories because theirs more to tell and we might actually find out what happened to zukos mom plus the season finale was amazing the best was korras air bending all in all if you havent watched this series i think you should
  22. Jul 19, 2012
    PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW FOR LEGEND OF KORRA I was a huge fan of Avatar The Last Airbender and I admit that I was worried about how the creators were going to resurrect the success of the original series with the Legend of Korra, but as I watched the season premiere I was able to have a great sigh of relief. Not only is Legend of Korra a great TV show, it brings back the same excellent story telling, well developed characters, and stylish visuals that fans of The Last Airbender had much desired, while also feeling fresh. The more mature themes and darker tone of the Legend of Korra provides an interesting take on the bending world we've come to know and love, where scum walks the streets and extremists threaten society. A lot of the characters share very similar personality traits to characters from the original series, such as Bolin being an obvious replacement for Sokka, but yet again Legend of Korra is able to cover these things with a new layer of paint, making everything feel new. As was expected, the voice acting, visual quality, and audio quality is top notch allowing for incredible presentation throughout the season. I could go into more details about why Legend of Korra is amazing, but this is supposed to be a short review. I'll just conclude with the fact that the show isn't perfect, but the shear amount of positive things it has going for it almost completely overlaps any negatives and I think that nobody of any age, as it will likely appeal to any age group, should miss out on what could be one of the best animated TV shows of all time (the Avatar series). Also, in response to StoutCarrot's mediocre review... I was extremely suprised by how little you either know or understand about this TV show. Your review is so unexpectedly inaccurate that it angered me. Your review is literally the reason why I registered on this website, and I'm not saying your opinion is wrong because, obviously, anybody could have their own opinion about it (in this case, you dislike Legend of Korra), it's your justification for your reasoning that I found to be completely off. So maybe next time you review something, you shouldn't be so much a hater as a critic. Expand
  23. Feb 26, 2013
    This series have made it to the top of my list of favourite shows, right at ATLA's side.
    Once again, the amazing world and atmosphere of ATLA with all its brilliancy, except with new amazing heroes and villains.
    As a huge fan of many shows, such as Dr. Who Torchwood), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note and many more...
    This series is my favourite series of all times (like I
    said, along with ATLA). Expand
  24. Jul 5, 2013
    "The Legend of Korra" is visually stunning, and has almost of the the "elements" from the first series to match its wit and spunk. The first season shows us the next avatar Korra, who is the opposite of Aang, and struggles with the spiritual side of being the avatar. Korra must face Amon, a nonbender who can take a bender's bending away, and he is frightening. With a vicious antagonist and his army, "The Legend of Korra" is full of suspense and has a great plot. When the season closes, the situation though feels closed too fast, and almost everything feels done, but Korra's next season proves otherwise. Expand
  25. Oct 10, 2013
    Only thing keeping it from a 10 is that I hated it the first time through because of all the plot holes but in the last 2 or 3 episodes they were solved... -ish
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolutely perfect in every way. Pays homage to the fantastic original, introduces awesome characters and features a bad-ass villain with a truly scary voice. The action and plot developments are incredibly fast paced. Creators of the original learnt from their mistakes and now skip filler episodes!
  27. Jan 12, 2014
    Firstly, I want to say that this show is NOT bad. The world building is excellent, it has its funny moments and the characters are reasonably interesting, as is the story. However, when watching Korra, you can't help but compare it to the Legend of Aang, and unfortunately almost everything feels worse in comparison.
    The characters in the ATLA were developed, funny and you felt sympathy
    towards some of their tales (especially Zuko). The world was as good as you will see in a tv show and the story, whilst cliche, kept me interested. In contrast, the characters in korra often come across as bratty and spoilt, the relationships they have together are rage inducing at times. However, the world is still fantastic, the show adds to the amazing lore of ATLA superbly, the animation is probably superior to ATLA and the jokes, whilst not as constant as ATLA due to the more adult theme of the show, are still funny.
    That being said, ATLA is one of the best tv shows I have ever seen, so this comparison may be harsh due to the high standards the creators of the show have set for themselves.
    In summary, The Legend of Korra is nowhere near as good as ATLA, but perhaps that is just a testimony to how good the first show is, meaning it is a must watch for fans of the show, and a good tv show for people who haven't seen the Legend of Aang yet.
    PS - watch ATLA whatever you do, it's truly amazing in every aspect.
  28. Jun 13, 2014
    A surprisingly (at least to me) amazing series. Once I got initiated to the world these characters lived in I've been a big fan. The series in its entirety including Ang's airbender storyline are second to none, and the kind of stuff I'd want my kid watching, once I have one. Despite its weaker moments it always manages to mix visually striking moments with tales exploring simple but deep philosophical meanings with its plot. The result is a saturday morning cartoon with a certain poetry rare in its peers.

Both parts of the Korra seasons are great. Knowing happened to all the TLAB characters down the line and how public perception of bending had changed all good stuff. The storyline about avatar Wan in the second season was probably one of the most magical and beautiful the series has been.
  29. Jun 13, 2014
    Legend of Korra is the best show ever! I love the fact that they've put a female avatar this time. I liked every episode of it, I enjoyed watching it. :)
  30. Sep 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just amazing. It deals with serious themes as civil war and terrorism, but still has that emotional appeal from themes as the good and the evil in each of us and how to feel self valuable. The only thing I would complain is the low development from some characters, like the Red Lotus members, but nothing that drastically interferes in the show's overall quality. I'm really hoping that the Avatar universe series get a sequel as good as this one. Expand
  31. Oct 17, 2014
    70 years have past, and Aang, the previous Avatar incarnation who was the last airbender has passed on. A waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe is the now the new Avatar. Her name is Korra, a girl who is rebellious, alone, and ready to take on whatever issues or battles she must face. It is Korra's destiny to protect the world as it was for her predecessors. She has three elements mastered: water, earth, and fire. The trouble is, she needs to master air while there are very few airbenders left. Tenzin, Aang and Katara's son, is the only person who can teach Korra how to airbend and it is her mission to find him or risk losing the new world's industrial melting pot, Republic City, to crime and anti-bender revolts. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    May 22, 2012
    Visually, Korra is striking. It's full of little tricks and nuances that only true fans will notice and savor, but nothing prevents civilians from enjoying it as well. The same holds for the mythology.
  2. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    May 22, 2012
    When her Airbender training is postponed, Korra travels to Republic City, where Aang's son Tenzin lives, so he can teach her. And that's when the fun begins.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    May 22, 2012
    Mostly, the intrigue in the half-hour pilot proves a trifle head-scratching, but there's a fair amount of action and an impressive look.