Avatar: The Legend of Korra : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.5

1. Jun 24, 2012
    This show has struck me as an even more powerful storytelling show than the original series. I always adored the original series as a visual marvel and this one is no different. Its pure art.
  2. Jul 5, 2013
    "The Legend of Korra" is visually stunning, and has almost of the the "elements" from the first series to match its wit and spunk. The first season shows us the next avatar Korra, who is the opposite of Aang, and struggles with the spiritual side of being the avatar. Korra must face Amon, a nonbender who can take a bender's bending away, and he is frightening. With a vicious antagonist"The Legend of Korra" is visually stunning, and has almost of the the "elements" from the first series to match its wit and spunk. The first season shows us the next avatar Korra, who is the opposite of Aang, and struggles with the spiritual side of being the avatar. Korra must face Amon, a nonbender who can take a bender's bending away, and he is frightening. With a vicious antagonist and his army, "The Legend of Korra" is full of suspense and has a great plot. When the season closes, the situation though feels closed too fast, and almost everything feels done, but Korra's next season proves otherwise. Expand
  3. Jul 10, 2012
    My only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actuallyMy only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actually happened, which is why I'm only giving the show a 9. "A point off for NO filler episodes? Wouldn't you actually WANT them?" you must be asking yourself. Well, in the case of Avatar, the filler episodes can actually be the best standout ones that fans actually love. The Southern Raiders, Ember Island Players, Tales of Ba Sing Se, and The Puppetmaster are some of my favorites, and they were just filler episodes! So yes, The Lgend of Korra is a fantastic show, but it's incredibly rushed because of the season orders it was given by Nick. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2013
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    This series should be taken on its own merits and not compared to the original series, it's a wonderfully entertaining first series expansion of the Last Airbender universe, which up to now we've not seen anything else(discounting the comics, which are brilliant btw) it shows what happens after saving the world.
    As of now Season 2 is just
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    As of now Season 2 is just around the corner, so catch it on DVD or any local available download service, it's worth it.
  5. Jun 7, 2013
    It didn't have the same magic that The Last Airbender had, but the show was still enjoyable. The characters were likable, although the development was lacking when compared to its predecessor. The ending of the season also felt a bit rushed. The animation itself was top-notch. Some of the characters, namely Tenzin and Lin Bei Fong, were very well done and were given good backstories.It didn't have the same magic that The Last Airbender had, but the show was still enjoyable. The characters were likable, although the development was lacking when compared to its predecessor. The ending of the season also felt a bit rushed. The animation itself was top-notch. Some of the characters, namely Tenzin and Lin Bei Fong, were very well done and were given good backstories. I also found the history between the two series to be interesting. I'm still not fully sold on the Avatar herself, but based on the last scenes I am confidant that she will become an even better character. While not as good as the original, it is still better than many cartoons today. Expand
  6. Oct 17, 2014
    70 years have past, and Aang, the previous Avatar incarnation who was the last airbender has passed on. A waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe is the now the new Avatar. Her name is Korra, a girl who is rebellious, alone, and ready to take on whatever issues or battles she must face. It is Korra's destiny to protect the world as it was for her predecessors. She has three elements70 years have past, and Aang, the previous Avatar incarnation who was the last airbender has passed on. A waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe is the now the new Avatar. Her name is Korra, a girl who is rebellious, alone, and ready to take on whatever issues or battles she must face. It is Korra's destiny to protect the world as it was for her predecessors. She has three elements mastered: water, earth, and fire. The trouble is, she needs to master air while there are very few airbenders left. Tenzin, Aang and Katara's son, is the only person who can teach Korra how to airbend and it is her mission to find him or risk losing the new world's industrial melting pot, Republic City, to crime and anti-bender revolts. Expand
  7. Jun 15, 2012
    Not nearly as good as The Last Airbender, but this new series is definitely superior to many new animated series' and is emotionally involving and greatly written as well.
  8. Jun 18, 2012
    Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70 steps above that :) (like this if you get the reference!!) Expand
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    I never thought I'd say this, but Avatar: The Legend of Korra is superior to the original series. Everything about it is just awesome. Korra is a far more interesting character than Aang, the setting is cooler, and the story is shorter and sweeter. It takes everything great about the original series and just amps it up, creating one hell of a show.
  10. Jun 7, 2012
    Mike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our BookMike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our Book 1 Finale which im sure will be amazing! Expand
  11. Jul 11, 2012
    i know its different from ATLA but i still loved it because in this series there older so there's more complexity to there stories because theirs more to tell and we might actually find out what happened to zukos mom plus the season finale was amazing the best was korras air bending all in all if you havent watched this series i think you should
  12. Jun 5, 2015
    Just an Amazing first season! I personally though that this show would be complete garbage compared to "The Last Airbender" but I was wrong in every way. The time setting for "The Legend of Korra" is great. The show has a great plot, tons of action and Incredible characters! TLOK is very interesting and unique! A great sequel to ATLA!
  13. Jun 21, 2012
    Visually it is breathtaking, and the plot is clever and original. This is one of the few shows that I have cried in one scene and in the next wanting more. Nickelodeon has outdone its self again. Although it will never be as good as the original, Korra is pretty damn close!
  14. Mar 17, 2015
    The story is perfect, the quality and sounds are incredible, the chars are deep. This is even better than the first one. This can't be a child cartoon, it is very mature and full with good lessons and teachings about life and the world. At the same time it is a lot of action. This is a masterpiece!
  15. Mar 8, 2014
    Legend of korra isn't as good as ATLAB but its a nice sequel if you can call it that) for lovers of the first avatar. i like how you get to see how the future shaped up after the end of last airbender and how some of the characters descendants lives turn out. the animations/artwork are gorgeous and well done. acting was good the only thing i have against the show is the story isn't as wellLegend of korra isn't as good as ATLAB but its a nice sequel if you can call it that) for lovers of the first avatar. i like how you get to see how the future shaped up after the end of last airbender and how some of the characters descendants lives turn out. the animations/artwork are gorgeous and well done. acting was good the only thing i have against the show is the story isn't as well done as the first one and the characters are a little more static.but besides that i like follow up and thought season 2 was well done. Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    One of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have everOne of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have ever seen, I don't mean by cartoon standards, I mean this show is one of the best i have EVER seen. As season one is coming to a close. The voice acting is phenomenal and just like its predecessor, even though there is action and seriousness, there is always a feel-good value the show ends up delivering and I really like that aspect. The show is extremely creative and at the end of every episode, I end up wanting even more. This show is superb and I think everyone should be watching it. Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolutely perfect in every way. Pays homage to the fantastic original, introduces awesome characters and features a bad-ass villain with a truly scary voice. The action and plot developments are incredibly fast paced. Creators of the original learnt from their mistakes and now skip filler episodes!
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    Firstly, I want to say that this show is NOT bad. The world building is excellent, it has its funny moments and the characters are reasonably interesting, as is the story. However, when watching Korra, you can't help but compare it to the Legend of Aang, and unfortunately almost everything feels worse in comparison.
    The characters in the ATLA were developed, funny and you felt sympathy
    The characters in the ATLA were developed, funny and you felt sympathy towards some of their tales (especially Zuko). The world was as good as you will see in a tv show and the story, whilst cliche, kept me interested. In contrast, the characters in korra often come across as bratty and spoilt, the relationships they have together are rage inducing at times. However, the world is still fantastic, the show adds to the amazing lore of ATLA superbly, the animation is probably superior to ATLA and the jokes, whilst not as constant as ATLA due to the more adult theme of the show, are still funny.
    That being said, ATLA is one of the best tv shows I have ever seen, so this comparison may be harsh due to the high standards the creators of the show have set for themselves.
    In summary, The Legend of Korra is nowhere near as good as ATLA, but perhaps that is just a testimony to how good the first show is, meaning it is a must watch for fans of the show, and a good tv show for people who haven't seen the Legend of Aang yet.
    PS - watch ATLA whatever you do, it's truly amazing in every aspect.
  19. Jun 24, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the The Last Airbender series and this one just blows me away. If you haven't watched this, go and do so now. It is the best animated series on television. I can't wait for season two.
  20. Nov 3, 2013
    The Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuineThe Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuine and sincere. The art is fantastic; the visuals of the show are simply sublime. The animation is very fluid and intense and the depictions of the vast and inspiring world the show is set in are amazing. The characters are likeable, interesting and 3-dimensional The pacing of the story as well as its overall depth, the dramatic and intense action, stunning and fluid visuals, the very rich setting and atmosphere and its mature sensibilities combine to create a work of art. Expand
  21. Dec 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Legend of Korra has Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko—commonly known as “Bryke” as a duo—reintroducing us into the endearing, imaginative, and beautifully animated Avatar universe previously established on one of the most critically acclaimed animated TV series of the ‘00s, Avatar: The Last Airbender, which was influenced by Eastern mythologies and philosophies and confronted political and social issues, issues initially perceived as taboo within children’s entertainment or entertainment in general, to be honest. But the colorful animation, comical yet thoroughly developed characters, visually striking action sequences featuring its signature elemental bending, and heartwarming storylines made it as enchanting to Nickelodeon’s core demographic as it did to adults.

The main protagonist, Avatar Korra, is a hot-headed, heavy-in-combat teenage girl who has learned the physical technique of water, earth, and firebending, but hasn’t learned airbending or the spiritual side of being the Avatar—in complete contrast to Avatar’s Aang. Based in the 1920s/steampunk-themed Republic City 70 years after the defeat of the Fire Lord and the 100 year war during the previous series, The Legend of Korra confronts social issues head-on with the introduction of its main antagonist, Amon, an intimidating, mysterious masked man who is head of the Equalist division of non-benders who feel “oppressed” by the benders of Republic City and demand, you guessed it, equality. Voiced by voice actor Steve Blum, who is notable for his distinctively deep voice, Amon is a refreshing and almost reasonable addition to the franchise’s antagonist due to his initially well-intentioned yet ultimately corrupted motives of fighting for equality. Also, he has the ability to take character’s bending away, which adds onto the intimidation factor.

The one-hour premiere episode (“Welcome to Republic City/A Leaf in the Wind”) also establishes the character arc for many more upcoming protagonists: Korra and chief of police Lin Bei Fong, the daughter of Avatar’s Toph, continue to re-enforce the Avatar universe’s theme of women empowerment without ever degrading its male cast, brothers Mako (the firebending handsome jerk) and Bolin (an earthbender who is comical and more naïve). Asami Sato, who later joins the new Team Avatar and is revealed to be the daughter of one of the Equalist’s main members, helps defeat the stereotype that rich, beautiful girls must be revealed to be conniving and apart of the antagonists. The overall charming cast of characters don’t disappoint and besides the series’ forced yet reasonably realistic love triangle, there’s chemistry between them.

But unfortunately, Book 1’s greatest disappointment comes when the season comes into its “Endgame”, where deus ex machine comes in in various forms—Korra’s character development comes to a screeching halt when Amon successfully takes her bending away and not only does she unexplainably manage to airbend, something she struggled to do even once throughout the season, but the rest of her bending is almost instantaneously rewarded back to her without any proper growth after losing it. Though Book 1’s ending-esque scenario could be due to Nickelodeon initially ordering the season as a mini-series before suddenly ordering three more seasons, it’s an overall half-developed, half-forced conclusion to an overall solidly told story.

Ignoring The Legend of Korra’s minor and less-minor mistakes can be easily mastered once you aim your attention at the series’ overall solid, satisfying re-approach to a familiar world we grew to love years ago during the first series. The animation is top-notch and one of the best in Western animation in recent years and its cast of characters welcomes a new approach at giving the spotlight to multiple characters, regardless of gender or age. The story is darker, grittier, and more politically-charged than its predecessor without losing the heart—and humor—and wears so suitably on its sleeve. If you avoided it for the sole basis that it’s on a popular children’s network, you definitely missed out on one of 2012’s freshest TV series.

Overall rating: 8.2
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    Sequels are always hard. While Korra has pops of humor it seems a very very different world from the original series that and the first season was way too short. I am 4 episodes into season two and am starting to see an bit of where this series is going with its emphasis on spiritual balance, I think it will be worth it just to sit back and let the story unfold and enjoy each episode as it comes.
  23. Dec 17, 2013
    After such an excellent run with ATLA, it's understandable that they have trouble getting their footing. Korra is in many ways the exact opposite of Aang. I'm cool with that. What I'm not cool with are all the temper tantrums and the idiotic decisions that she makes, particularly in Book 2.

Overall, the cast isn't as charming as the original series, but it's hard to beat the original cast.

Despite this, the series does a good job of showing what the world is like after Aang, and the struggles that they face. Usually it takes a few episodes to get rolling, but once it is, The Legend of Korra will not disappoint. Although the first season was more of a side story, letting us get introduced to Korra, the second season has much more impact and significance.

Hopefully, for season 3, Korra won't be such a loose cannon, as there is a lot of promise in series 3.
  24. Jul 14, 2012
    The Legend of Korra is incredible, it's not Aang anymore. With that tight plot, world paradox, could bear uneven parts. Let me tell you this, don't make M. Night Shyamalan ruin this.
  25. Jun 27, 2012
    A:TLA was virtually flawless from episode to episode, and this isn't quite the case with Korra. However it's still definitely worth a watch. The animation is much improved from the original, and it's much darker in tone than the original series (I can't believe how Nick let some of the stuff in the show slip pass) The show is constantly engaging and extremely intense, with the cliffhangersA:TLA was virtually flawless from episode to episode, and this isn't quite the case with Korra. However it's still definitely worth a watch. The animation is much improved from the original, and it's much darker in tone than the original series (I can't believe how Nick let some of the stuff in the show slip pass) The show is constantly engaging and extremely intense, with the cliffhangers at the end of each episode leaving you wanting more. However, this season really needed more episodes since there was a big lack in character development, the love triangle was insipid and the ending is just too convenient. By the time the smoke clears though, it's a worthy follow up to original series. Expand
  26. Jun 26, 2012
    Best show ever. The artwork is beautiful. The plotline is engaging and I like the addition of dark elements to this series, to approach a larger fanbase
  27. Jul 4, 2012
    While not near as good as Last Airbender, this is still very good. I would have to say the only downfall is the completely over emotional and under powered portrayal of the avatar. Ang was younger and had far less training and was able to destroy people without hardly a challenge, Korra just, well, cant.
  28. Jul 8, 2012
    The story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animationThe story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animation is superb; it's one of the few shining examples of anime made for an American audience. The attention to detail of the fighting scenes is astonishing; for example, it's clear the animators spent a studied many hours choreographing fight scenes with a wing chun artist guiding them- as if Donnie Yen himself were looking over their shoulders while they storyboarded. Expand
  29. Oct 19, 2012
    The main problem with this show is that when Avatar had serious moments,awesome fightings and sometimes jokes and characters backstory (that compared to the other things above wasn´t THAT good) tThis show is the exact opposite in almost everything. Dont get me wrong,its a good show but its not like The Last Airbender. The plot isn´t as original as the first one and the villainThe main problem with this show is that when Avatar had serious moments,awesome fightings and sometimes jokes and characters backstory (that compared to the other things above wasn´t THAT good) tThis show is the exact opposite in almost everything. Dont get me wrong,its a good show but its not like The Last Airbender. The plot isn´t as original as the first one and the villain is not as cool as the ones from the first show. Now the main characters are either cool,shy or simply annoying and that is a downside. Its not bad,but to be fair,compared to The Last Airbender its frustrating. Expand
  30. Feb 26, 2013
    This series have made it to the top of my list of favourite shows, right at ATLA's side.
    Once again, the amazing world and atmosphere of ATLA with all its brilliancy, except with new amazing heroes and villains.
    As a huge fan of many shows, such as Dr. Who Torchwood), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note and many more... This series is my favourite series of all times (like I
    This series is my favourite series of all times (like I said, along with ATLA).
  31. Jul 22, 2013
    The best TV show to grace Nickelodeon ever since The Last Airbender. Animation is superb and gorgeous with hand drawn backdrops. Can't wait for Book 2.
  32. Jan 3, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think season one was a stunning way to start Korra's journey to getting her air Bending...... Lots of adventure + the beginning of Team Avatar.... Though the part at the end where Korra got her bending back was a bit weird..... but come on It's Avatar... Don't act like things like that didn't happen in ATLA Expand
  33. Jan 28, 2013
    Comparing it To the first Avatar cartoon while inevitable is I think doing a disservice to both shows. The original show stared out very light and the setting aside it was fairly standard fare for the time. It was only after they stared fleshing out the world and characters that it really came in to its own. I believe that Korra has just as much potential but that it was ill served by theComparing it To the first Avatar cartoon while inevitable is I think doing a disservice to both shows. The original show stared out very light and the setting aside it was fairly standard fare for the time. It was only after they stared fleshing out the world and characters that it really came in to its own. I believe that Korra has just as much potential but that it was ill served by the decision to make the first season 12 episodes rather than 22 or even 20 as Avatars first season was. All in all I quite enjoyed it and am looking forward to the second season but it is a very different show than the original, that isn't a bad thing but it is something that needs to be taken in to account when deciding to watch it. Expand
  34. Jun 15, 2012
    If I had one gripe with the original Avatar series, it was the frequent location changes. I know the idea was built into the premise, but I wanted to see Team Avatar become involved in a specific cast of characters. Korra feels like a love letter. Everything is more grown up, from the animation to the setting to the Avatar herself, the world feels more like a place and the problems itIf I had one gripe with the original Avatar series, it was the frequent location changes. I know the idea was built into the premise, but I wanted to see Team Avatar become involved in a specific cast of characters. Korra feels like a love letter. Everything is more grown up, from the animation to the setting to the Avatar herself, the world feels more like a place and the problems it faces cant be solved purely with force. Korra is a masterful companion to a brilliant show. Expand
  35. Nov 20, 2012
    It will take a bit of time to get your head around just how.... different everything is. So different it almost doesn't remember Avatar at all, but that is somewhat the point. The more I watched the more I liked the storyline and plot and while it still didn't answer some of the questions left from The Last Airbender, I think it was a wise move to progress things with a different groupIt will take a bit of time to get your head around just how.... different everything is. So different it almost doesn't remember Avatar at all, but that is somewhat the point. The more I watched the more I liked the storyline and plot and while it still didn't answer some of the questions left from The Last Airbender, I think it was a wise move to progress things with a different group rather than being stuck in the box of trying to think up of more story and action for the original group that doesn't quite justify itself. Expand
  36. Jun 28, 2012
    When I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case oneWhen I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case one pops up in the future.

I also liked its not a 'Hey, we are the heroes, so lets get rid of what we perceive as wrong because we are always right.'like most kids shows. Legend of Korra gives strongly made backstory of the villains and heroes alike. They gave strong reasons to why the villains are rebelling and why the heroes are going against it. Its not those cliché 'I want to take over the world.' like the first series.

For anyone who does not consider watching this because its a cartoon, its from nickelodeon and its main character is not a slender and well toned skinned hottie. Well let me tell you, this cartoon is like watching a Nickelodeon and Chinese version of the Games of Thrones. Its heart wrenching, blood boiling and a tear jerking show. I'm surprised this is for kids.
  37. Oct 24, 2012
    Dazzlingly animated, while it is technically based in the same world as its previous series, The Legend of Korra spectacularly separates itself enough to make room for wider plot devices, settings, and character development in order to grasp unconverted viewers, yet it has enough references and similarities to hang onto longtime fans. Its 1920's-esque setting is refreshing, its animationDazzlingly animated, while it is technically based in the same world as its previous series, The Legend of Korra spectacularly separates itself enough to make room for wider plot devices, settings, and character development in order to grasp unconverted viewers, yet it has enough references and similarities to hang onto longtime fans. Its 1920's-esque setting is refreshing, its animation is glossy, its action sequences are glossy, and the drama is darker and deeper than its quirkier predecessor. However, Legend of Korra begins to fall from its spotlight when its finale arrives, where the series' detailed plot devices begin to feel paced and rushed, "deus ex machina" moments are far more than noticeable, and main protagonist Korra is handed almost every solution without properly earning it, unlike the previous series' protagonist Aang, who dealt with far worse. But overall, this series is has more than enough potential to be given a chance by audiences of all ages, whether you admire its anime-esque animation or divine setting. Expand
  38. Jun 19, 2012
    Everything I loved about the original series, complex characters, amazing overlapping story arcs, exquisite voice acting, has been reduced down here. While it may not be as stunning as the original it is still one of the best series on television. The writing, the animation, the characters are all done so well, and every aspect is still equally wonderful.
  39. Jun 24, 2012
    As a fan of the original avatar show I can say that the legend of korra outdoes the original in almost every way. Better visuals, likable characters, fantastic story, awesome action sequences, and lots of memorable moments. Downright fantastic show
  40. Jun 24, 2012
    I went into The Legend of Korra with tempered expectations. I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and wasn't convinced that anything could top it. I was completely wrong, Korra blew away all my expectations and has taken the place of TLA as my favorite television series of all time. The writing is intelligent, clever and keeps the audience on their toes (sites such as Reddit wereI went into The Legend of Korra with tempered expectations. I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and wasn't convinced that anything could top it. I was completely wrong, Korra blew away all my expectations and has taken the place of TLA as my favorite television series of all time. The writing is intelligent, clever and keeps the audience on their toes (sites such as Reddit were a-flurry with theories between every single episode). It is the perfect balance of action, drama, intrigue and humor that keeps an audience captivated & coming back week after week. You watch these characters evolve, hit extreme highs and devastating lows, all the while you're falling more in love with each and every one of them. The show does have a few shortcomings, though. It is clear that the writing staff, though brilliant, only had 14 episodes to work with and did their best to cram as much as they possibly could into one season, which makes things feel a bit rushed at times; but the writing is still fantastic. For brevity's sake, I'll wrap things up here.
    If you enjoyed TLA, this show comes as an incredibly easy recommendation.
    If you have never seen the original series, I believe you will still enjoy this show for its stellar characters, well written stories and rich universe. Though I suggest watching TLA, don't feel obliged - you'll still adore Korra.
  41. Jun 25, 2012
    GRIPPING AND UNPREDICTABLE ,AVATAR THE LEGEND OF KORRA LIVES UPTO EXPECTATIONS OF STANDARDS SET BY ITS PREDECESSOR AVATAR:THE LAST AIRBENDER.ALTHOUGH THERE IS A FEELING THAT THE SERIES COULD HAVE BEEN MADE AS BIG AS IN THE NUMBER OF EPISODES LIKE THE PREVIOUS INSTALLMENT.THE MOMENTUM OF THE STORY IS PERHAPS A BIT TOO FAST,BUT NEVERTHELESS WELL MADE.
  42. Jul 1, 2012
    Takes the entire mythos of the original, localizes the plot, provides plenty of likeable new characters, while still providing a hugely entertaining, well visualized story with plenty of laughs to go around.
    Being a fan of the original television series when I was younger, and then revisiting the entire series in one week in my late teens (meant to be studying), I quickly reaffirmed my love of the world and characters the series possesses. I'm happy to say that the new series is as good, if not better. It provides a darker and more mature plot and certainly focuses on relationships a lot more. This advancing in the storytelling works well since it makes the series more accessible to the fans of the original who have aged since its ending. To those fans of the original, there is plenty of nostalgia to go around and I actually found it funnier than the original. The new animation is top notch, enhancing the action greatly. Korra as a character is fantastic! A polar opposite of Aang, having to be told to be patient all the time instead of telling it to others. I think it would be inappropriate to compare her to Aang since they have such different personalities and their difference in age also adds to this, but she is certainly just as enjoyable to watch grow and develop over the reasonably short first season. The other characters are also very good. The length of the first series enables it to tell the story faster and more efficiently without the random side quests that were found in the original series. I think that the original featured those episodes so that they could further tell backstory and expand on the world. Since most people watching this series would have seen the original, there's less of a need to tell the backstory.
    Summing up... The Legend Of Korra is a hugely entertaining series providing a more dark and mature plot than it predecessor while still dishing out the laughs and visual finesse. Easily one of the best children s television series ever made, to date.
  43. Jul 2, 2012
    Definitely a good show, no doubt, although there were many more problems with this than in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Couple of things I feel need to be pointed out:

Whereas in A:TLA most of the main characters were kids, they're all teenagers, probably about 15-16, in this one. At first, the little kids thing is kind of a turn off in A:TLA, but you grow to appreciate them even more for it, and they tend to act either mature or goofy-childish depending on the situation. It really comes off quite well. In the Legend of Korra, though, the true main characters are just obnoxious, tedious and annoying. Petty squabbles and a pointless, uninspired love triangle pair together for a group that can, at times, be painful to watch. Worse yet, beyond the minor changes within the first five episodes, any and all character development for the main characters in nonexistent. Completely. I felt cheated, especially given the massive transformations presented in A:TLA, which I consider to be one of the best parts of the show.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, only the adult, secondary characters interested me at all. I liked Toph's daughter, Lin Bei Fong, because she was so reminiscent of her mother yet owned her own personality. Tenzin, Aang's son, is also fairly interesting, with a character carefully constructed of equal parts Aang and Kataara. Aman, the villain, is also interesting, mostly in the way that he's powerful and mysterious, possessing seemingly impossible abilities that allow him to overcome Benders with perfect efficiency. His powers are adequately explained at the end in a fairly satisfying manner, pulling together ideas from earlier episodes that seemed out of place until then. Regardless, it was somewhat haphazardly rushed together at the end, and Aman's character seemed to change without any true rhyme or reason.

Aside from the characters and the much more politically-inspired storyline (as opposed to the battle of good vs. evil in A:TLA, this is more of a battle where you can't say for certain who's right and who's wrong because both sides have valid and invalid points), it turned out to be a very satisfying sequel to its predecessor. Stunning visuals and effects, a beautiful, well-crafted setting and a technological revolution that transforms the world we know and love into something different. Different, but in a way that is neither better nor worse. The storyline, although somewhat rushed and containing little of the suspense of A:TLA, was simple and satisfying, bringing most parts together adequately although not to the extent of A:TLA.

In conclusion: For those who have seen A:TLA, this is a show you really shouldn't miss. For those of you that haven't... well, check it out first, and hit this one up as an afterthought.
  44. Jul 19, 2012
    PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW FOR LEGEND OF KORRA I was a huge fan of Avatar The Last Airbender and I admit that I was worried about how the creators were going to resurrect the success of the original series with the Legend of Korra, but as I watched the season premiere I was able to have a great sigh of relief. Not only is Legend of Korra a great TV show, it brings back the samePLEASE READ THIS REVIEW FOR LEGEND OF KORRA I was a huge fan of Avatar The Last Airbender and I admit that I was worried about how the creators were going to resurrect the success of the original series with the Legend of Korra, but as I watched the season premiere I was able to have a great sigh of relief. Not only is Legend of Korra a great TV show, it brings back the same excellent story telling, well developed characters, and stylish visuals that fans of The Last Airbender had much desired, while also feeling fresh. The more mature themes and darker tone of the Legend of Korra provides an interesting take on the bending world we've come to know and love, where scum walks the streets and extremists threaten society. A lot of the characters share very similar personality traits to characters from the original series, such as Bolin being an obvious replacement for Sokka, but yet again Legend of Korra is able to cover these things with a new layer of paint, making everything feel new. As was expected, the voice acting, visual quality, and audio quality is top notch allowing for incredible presentation throughout the season. I could go into more details about why Legend of Korra is amazing, but this is supposed to be a short review. I'll just conclude with the fact that the show isn't perfect, but the shear amount of positive things it has going for it almost completely overlaps any negatives and I think that nobody of any age, as it will likely appeal to any age group, should miss out on what could be one of the best animated TV shows of all time (the Avatar series). Also, in response to StoutCarrot's mediocre review... I was extremely suprised by how little you either know or understand about this TV show. Your review is so unexpectedly inaccurate that it angered me. Your review is literally the reason why I registered on this website, and I'm not saying your opinion is wrong because, obviously, anybody could have their own opinion about it (in this case, you dislike Legend of Korra), it's your justification for your reasoning that I found to be completely off. So maybe next time you review something, you shouldn't be so much a hater as a critic. Collapse
  45. Aug 4, 2012
    when i first heard of a sequel to one of my all time favorite cartoon series, i wasn't expecting much out of it but wow did it exceed my expectations. On first thought this series does have its flaws, such as the character development, i admit that i did like the new team avatar but it seemed to be formed way too quickly, and at some times in the season korra acted like a stereotypicalwhen i first heard of a sequel to one of my all time favorite cartoon series, i wasn't expecting much out of it but wow did it exceed my expectations. On first thought this series does have its flaws, such as the character development, i admit that i did like the new team avatar but it seemed to be formed way too quickly, and at some times in the season korra acted like a stereotypical "icarly" character. other then that i did like the story and the mature themes that were mixed into the show such as political views and amon's back story. Expand
  46. Oct 10, 2013
    Only thing keeping it from a 10 is that I hated it the first time through because of all the plot holes but in the last 2 or 3 episodes they were solved... -ish
  47. Jun 13, 2014
    A surprisingly (at least to me) amazing series. Once I got initiated to the world these characters lived in I've been a big fan. The series in its entirety including Ang's airbender storyline are second to none, and the kind of stuff I'd want my kid watching, once I have one. Despite its weaker moments it always manages to mix visually striking moments with tales exploring simple but deepA surprisingly (at least to me) amazing series. Once I got initiated to the world these characters lived in I've been a big fan. The series in its entirety including Ang's airbender storyline are second to none, and the kind of stuff I'd want my kid watching, once I have one. Despite its weaker moments it always manages to mix visually striking moments with tales exploring simple but deep philosophical meanings with its plot. The result is a saturday morning cartoon with a certain poetry rare in its peers.

Both parts of the Korra seasons are great. Knowing happened to all the TLAB characters down the line and how public perception of bending had changed all good stuff. The storyline about avatar Wan in the second season was probably one of the most magical and beautiful the series has been.
  48. Jun 13, 2014
    Legend of Korra is the best show ever! I love the fact that they've put a female avatar this time. I liked every episode of it, I enjoyed watching it. :)
  49. Sep 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just amazing. It deals with serious themes as civil war and terrorism, but still has that emotional appeal from themes as the good and the evil in each of us and how to feel self valuable. The only thing I would complain is the low development from some characters, like the Red Lotus members, but nothing that drastically interferes in the show's overall quality. I'm really hoping that the Avatar universe series get a sequel as good as this one. Expand
  50. Jan 2, 2015
    I'm not giving it a "10" only because I am a great fan of the series. It's because there are so much things on the show. It shows you humanity, love, heroism, and takes you away! It's really amazing what the show causes to you. I used to watch "The Last Airbender" as a child, and I can say: It's part of my life. It's part of me!
  51. Dec 19, 2014
    One of the best animated series I saw in my life! The story line was stunning just like the ending. Season 2 has the weakest story but season 3 strikes back with stunning story. If you didn't see this series yet, now is the right time...
  52. Jun 10, 2015
    I wasn't expecting much from this, I had seen a few episodes of the original series and it didn't stick with me but Legend of Korra left me wanting more. After watching the four seasons, I can say that this is without a doubt my favorite "anime" of all time.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    May 22, 2012
    Visually, Korra is striking. It's full of little tricks and nuances that only true fans will notice and savor, but nothing prevents civilians from enjoying it as well. The same holds for the mythology.
  2. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    May 22, 2012
    When her Airbender training is postponed, Korra travels to Republic City, where Aang's son Tenzin lives, so he can teach her. And that's when the fun begins.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    May 22, 2012
    Mostly, the intrigue in the half-hour pilot proves a trifle head-scratching, but there's a fair amount of action and an impressive look.