Avatar: The Legend of Korra : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.6

1. Jan 2, 2015
    I'm not giving it a "10" only because I am a great fan of the series. It's because there are so much things on the show. It shows you humanity, love, heroism, and takes you away! It's really amazing what the show causes to you. I used to watch "The Last Airbender" as a child, and I can say: It's part of my life. It's part of me!
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    Definitely a good show, no doubt, although there were many more problems with this than in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Couple of things I feel need to be pointed out:

Whereas in A:TLA most of the main characters were kids, they're all teenagers, probably about 15-16, in this one. At first, the little kids thing is kind of a turn off in A:TLA, but you grow to appreciate them even more for it, and they tend to act either mature or goofy-childish depending on the situation. It really comes off quite well. In the Legend of Korra, though, the true main characters are just obnoxious, tedious and annoying. Petty squabbles and a pointless, uninspired love triangle pair together for a group that can, at times, be painful to watch. Worse yet, beyond the minor changes within the first five episodes, any and all character development for the main characters in nonexistent. Completely. I felt cheated, especially given the massive transformations presented in A:TLA, which I consider to be one of the best parts of the show.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, only the adult, secondary characters interested me at all. I liked Toph's daughter, Lin Bei Fong, because she was so reminiscent of her mother yet owned her own personality. Tenzin, Aang's son, is also fairly interesting, with a character carefully constructed of equal parts Aang and Kataara. Aman, the villain, is also interesting, mostly in the way that he's powerful and mysterious, possessing seemingly impossible abilities that allow him to overcome Benders with perfect efficiency. His powers are adequately explained at the end in a fairly satisfying manner, pulling together ideas from earlier episodes that seemed out of place until then. Regardless, it was somewhat haphazardly rushed together at the end, and Aman's character seemed to change without any true rhyme or reason.

Aside from the characters and the much more politically-inspired storyline (as opposed to the battle of good vs. evil in A:TLA, this is more of a battle where you can't say for certain who's right and who's wrong because both sides have valid and invalid points), it turned out to be a very satisfying sequel to its predecessor. Stunning visuals and effects, a beautiful, well-crafted setting and a technological revolution that transforms the world we know and love into something different. Different, but in a way that is neither better nor worse. The storyline, although somewhat rushed and containing little of the suspense of A:TLA, was simple and satisfying, bringing most parts together adequately although not to the extent of A:TLA.

In conclusion: For those who have seen A:TLA, this is a show you really shouldn't miss. For those of you that haven't... well, check it out first, and hit this one up as an afterthought.
  3. Jul 22, 2013
    I never thought I'd say this, but Avatar: The Legend of Korra is superior to the original series. Everything about it is just awesome. Korra is a far more interesting character than Aang, the setting is cooler, and the story is shorter and sweeter. It takes everything great about the original series and just amps it up, creating one hell of a show.
  4. Jun 15, 2012
    Not nearly as good as The Last Airbender, but this new series is definitely superior to many new animated series' and is emotionally involving and greatly written as well.
  5. Jun 9, 2012
    One of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have everOne of the best shows I have ever seen. When The Legend of Korra was announced I was tremendously excited because I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But also, I was afraid that they might ruin the franchise. I was dead wrong. This show even surpasses the original in terms of action, animation, and even story sometimes. When I said that this is one of the best shows I have ever seen, I don't mean by cartoon standards, I mean this show is one of the best i have EVER seen. As season one is coming to a close. The voice acting is phenomenal and just like its predecessor, even though there is action and seriousness, there is always a feel-good value the show ends up delivering and I really like that aspect. The show is extremely creative and at the end of every episode, I end up wanting even more. This show is superb and I think everyone should be watching it. Expand
  6. Jun 24, 2012
    I went into The Legend of Korra with tempered expectations. I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and wasn't convinced that anything could top it. I was completely wrong, Korra blew away all my expectations and has taken the place of TLA as my favorite television series of all time. The writing is intelligent, clever and keeps the audience on their toes (sites such as Reddit wereI went into The Legend of Korra with tempered expectations. I was a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and wasn't convinced that anything could top it. I was completely wrong, Korra blew away all my expectations and has taken the place of TLA as my favorite television series of all time. The writing is intelligent, clever and keeps the audience on their toes (sites such as Reddit were a-flurry with theories between every single episode). It is the perfect balance of action, drama, intrigue and humor that keeps an audience captivated & coming back week after week. You watch these characters evolve, hit extreme highs and devastating lows, all the while you're falling more in love with each and every one of them. The show does have a few shortcomings, though. It is clear that the writing staff, though brilliant, only had 14 episodes to work with and did their best to cram as much as they possibly could into one season, which makes things feel a bit rushed at times; but the writing is still fantastic. For brevity's sake, I'll wrap things up here.
    If you enjoyed TLA, this show comes as an incredibly easy recommendation.
    If you have never seen the original series, I believe you will still enjoy this show for its stellar characters, well written stories and rich universe. Though I suggest watching TLA, don't feel obliged - you'll still adore Korra.
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    The best TV show to grace Nickelodeon ever since The Last Airbender. Animation is superb and gorgeous with hand drawn backdrops. Can't wait for Book 2.
  8. Jun 15, 2012
    If I had one gripe with the original Avatar series, it was the frequent location changes. I know the idea was built into the premise, but I wanted to see Team Avatar become involved in a specific cast of characters. Korra feels like a love letter. Everything is more grown up, from the animation to the setting to the Avatar herself, the world feels more like a place and the problems itIf I had one gripe with the original Avatar series, it was the frequent location changes. I know the idea was built into the premise, but I wanted to see Team Avatar become involved in a specific cast of characters. Korra feels like a love letter. Everything is more grown up, from the animation to the setting to the Avatar herself, the world feels more like a place and the problems it faces cant be solved purely with force. Korra is a masterful companion to a brilliant show. Expand
  9. Jun 18, 2012
    Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70Better than A:TLA, Korra is very cool and the story is very very good, it will be interesting to find out who/what Amon is in the Finale and if Korra will enter the Avatar State, much more grown up, so more to my age now (16), very good, I was of the right age to watch A:TLA (in that it is what they said kids should be to understand all of it properly) and that was amazing, but this is 70 steps above that :) (like this if you get the reference!!) Expand
  10. Jan 28, 2013
    Comparing it To the first Avatar cartoon while inevitable is I think doing a disservice to both shows. The original show stared out very light and the setting aside it was fairly standard fare for the time. It was only after they stared fleshing out the world and characters that it really came in to its own. I believe that Korra has just as much potential but that it was ill served by theComparing it To the first Avatar cartoon while inevitable is I think doing a disservice to both shows. The original show stared out very light and the setting aside it was fairly standard fare for the time. It was only after they stared fleshing out the world and characters that it really came in to its own. I believe that Korra has just as much potential but that it was ill served by the decision to make the first season 12 episodes rather than 22 or even 20 as Avatars first season was. All in all I quite enjoyed it and am looking forward to the second season but it is a very different show than the original, that isn't a bad thing but it is something that needs to be taken in to account when deciding to watch it. Expand
  11. Sep 6, 2013
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    This series should be taken on its own merits and not compared to the original series, it's a wonderfully entertaining first series expansion of the Last Airbender universe, which up to now we've not seen anything else(discounting the comics, which are brilliant btw) it shows what happens after saving the world.
    As of now Season 2 is just
    Legend of Korra is not Avatar, there I said it.
    As of now Season 2 is just around the corner, so catch it on DVD or any local available download service, it's worth it.
  12. Aug 4, 2012
    when i first heard of a sequel to one of my all time favorite cartoon series, i wasn't expecting much out of it but wow did it exceed my expectations. On first thought this series does have its flaws, such as the character development, i admit that i did like the new team avatar but it seemed to be formed way too quickly, and at some times in the season korra acted like a stereotypicalwhen i first heard of a sequel to one of my all time favorite cartoon series, i wasn't expecting much out of it but wow did it exceed my expectations. On first thought this series does have its flaws, such as the character development, i admit that i did like the new team avatar but it seemed to be formed way too quickly, and at some times in the season korra acted like a stereotypical "icarly" character. other then that i did like the story and the mature themes that were mixed into the show such as political views and amon's back story. Expand
  13. Nov 3, 2013
    The Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuineThe Legend of Korra expands upon the rich mythology first explored in The Last Airbender in a new and fantastic way, and this first season is a spectacular entry into the ongoing saga of the Avatar. Fans of the The Last Airbender will be impressed as will newcomers. The writing and storytelling is wonderful and matches perfectly with the actors who come across as sounding very genuine and sincere. The art is fantastic; the visuals of the show are simply sublime. The animation is very fluid and intense and the depictions of the vast and inspiring world the show is set in are amazing. The characters are likeable, interesting and 3-dimensional The pacing of the story as well as its overall depth, the dramatic and intense action, stunning and fluid visuals, the very rich setting and atmosphere and its mature sensibilities combine to create a work of art. Expand
  14. Jun 7, 2012
    Mike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our BookMike and Bryan have done it yet again. The Legend of Korra is one of the greatest animated series of all time much like its predecessor;with its sharp writing,beautiful animation,breathtaking action sequences it is sure grab you from its very first episode! Episode 8 is my favourite so far and i can't wait to see all the old characters and also see where the story is headed after our Book 1 Finale which im sure will be amazing! Expand
  15. Jun 28, 2012
    When I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case oneWhen I first watched the series, I thought to myself. The creators of this show must be mad. The amount of Nazi references and injecting political views and ideals into this Nickelodeon show is astounding. This has to be one of the most mature children shows out there. It teaches them to deal with decision making, dealing with loss, sacrifice and how to deal with another Hitler in case one pops up in the future.

I also liked its not a 'Hey, we are the heroes, so lets get rid of what we perceive as wrong because we are always right.'like most kids shows. Legend of Korra gives strongly made backstory of the villains and heroes alike. They gave strong reasons to why the villains are rebelling and why the heroes are going against it. Its not those cliché 'I want to take over the world.' like the first series.

For anyone who does not consider watching this because its a cartoon, its from nickelodeon and its main character is not a slender and well toned skinned hottie. Well let me tell you, this cartoon is like watching a Nickelodeon and Chinese version of the Games of Thrones. Its heart wrenching, blood boiling and a tear jerking show. I'm surprised this is for kids.
  16. Jul 8, 2012
    The story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animationThe story of season 1 is an interesting exploration of a coming-of-avatar story against the backdrop of a reimagined sino-american progressive era city in the midst of counter-culture insurgency. Korra is certainly as good as the last airbender, possibly better, and I absolutely love this show. The story is wonderful; full of so many lessons for young Korra. The quality of the animation is superb; it's one of the few shining examples of anime made for an American audience. The attention to detail of the fighting scenes is astonishing; for example, it's clear the animators spent a studied many hours choreographing fight scenes with a wing chun artist guiding them- as if Donnie Yen himself were looking over their shoulders while they storyboarded. Collapse
  17. Jun 21, 2012
    Visually it is breathtaking, and the plot is clever and original. This is one of the few shows that I have cried in one scene and in the next wanting more. Nickelodeon has outdone its self again. Although it will never be as good as the original, Korra is pretty damn close!
  18. Jul 14, 2012
    The Legend of Korra is incredible, it's not Aang anymore. With that tight plot, world paradox, could bear uneven parts. Let me tell you this, don't make M. Night Shyamalan ruin this.
  19. Jun 24, 2012
    This show has struck me as an even more powerful storytelling show than the original series. I always adored the original series as a visual marvel and this one is no different. Its pure art.
  20. Jun 24, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the The Last Airbender series and this one just blows me away. If you haven't watched this, go and do so now. It is the best animated series on television. I can't wait for season two.
  21. Nov 20, 2012
    It will take a bit of time to get your head around just how.... different everything is. So different it almost doesn't remember Avatar at all, but that is somewhat the point. The more I watched the more I liked the storyline and plot and while it still didn't answer some of the questions left from The Last Airbender, I think it was a wise move to progress things with a different groupIt will take a bit of time to get your head around just how.... different everything is. So different it almost doesn't remember Avatar at all, but that is somewhat the point. The more I watched the more I liked the storyline and plot and while it still didn't answer some of the questions left from The Last Airbender, I think it was a wise move to progress things with a different group rather than being stuck in the box of trying to think up of more story and action for the original group that doesn't quite justify itself. Expand
  22. Oct 24, 2012
    Dazzlingly animated, while it is technically based in the same world as its previous series, The Legend of Korra spectacularly separates itself enough to make room for wider plot devices, settings, and character development in order to grasp unconverted viewers, yet it has enough references and similarities to hang onto longtime fans. Its 1920's-esque setting is refreshing, its animationDazzlingly animated, while it is technically based in the same world as its previous series, The Legend of Korra spectacularly separates itself enough to make room for wider plot devices, settings, and character development in order to grasp unconverted viewers, yet it has enough references and similarities to hang onto longtime fans. Its 1920's-esque setting is refreshing, its animation is glossy, its action sequences are glossy, and the drama is darker and deeper than its quirkier predecessor. However, Legend of Korra begins to fall from its spotlight when its finale arrives, where the series' detailed plot devices begin to feel paced and rushed, "deus ex machina" moments are far more than noticeable, and main protagonist Korra is handed almost every solution without properly earning it, unlike the previous series' protagonist Aang, who dealt with far worse. But overall, this series is has more than enough potential to be given a chance by audiences of all ages, whether you admire its anime-esque animation or divine setting. Expand
  23. Jun 19, 2012
    Everything I loved about the original series, complex characters, amazing overlapping story arcs, exquisite voice acting, has been reduced down here. While it may not be as stunning as the original it is still one of the best series on television. The writing, the animation, the characters are all done so well, and every aspect is still equally wonderful.
  24. Jun 24, 2012
    As a fan of the original avatar show I can say that the legend of korra outdoes the original in almost every way. Better visuals, likable characters, fantastic story, awesome action sequences, and lots of memorable moments. Downright fantastic show
  25. Jun 25, 2012
    GRIPPING AND UNPREDICTABLE ,AVATAR THE LEGEND OF KORRA LIVES UPTO EXPECTATIONS OF STANDARDS SET BY ITS PREDECESSOR AVATAR:THE LAST AIRBENDER.ALTHOUGH THERE IS A FEELING THAT THE SERIES COULD HAVE BEEN MADE AS BIG AS IN THE NUMBER OF EPISODES LIKE THE PREVIOUS INSTALLMENT.THE MOMENTUM OF THE STORY IS PERHAPS A BIT TOO FAST,BUT NEVERTHELESS WELL MADE.
  26. Jun 26, 2012
    Best show ever. The artwork is beautiful. The plotline is engaging and I like the addition of dark elements to this series, to approach a larger fanbase
  27. Jul 1, 2012
    Takes the entire mythos of the original, localizes the plot, provides plenty of likeable new characters, while still providing a hugely entertaining, well visualized story with plenty of laughs to go around.
    Being a fan of the original television series when I was younger, and then revisiting the entire series in one week in my late teens (meant to be studying), I quickly reaffirmed my love of the world and characters the series possesses. I'm happy to say that the new series is as good, if not better. It provides a darker and more mature plot and certainly focuses on relationships a lot more. This advancing in the storytelling works well since it makes the series more accessible to the fans of the original who have aged since its ending. To those fans of the original, there is plenty of nostalgia to go around and I actually found it funnier than the original. The new animation is top notch, enhancing the action greatly. Korra as a character is fantastic! A polar opposite of Aang, having to be told to be patient all the time instead of telling it to others. I think it would be inappropriate to compare her to Aang since they have such different personalities and their difference in age also adds to this, but she is certainly just as enjoyable to watch grow and develop over the reasonably short first season. The other characters are also very good. The length of the first series enables it to tell the story faster and more efficiently without the random side quests that were found in the original series. I think that the original featured those episodes so that they could further tell backstory and expand on the world. Since most people watching this series would have seen the original, there's less of a need to tell the backstory.
    Summing up... The Legend Of Korra is a hugely entertaining series providing a more dark and mature plot than it predecessor while still dishing out the laughs and visual finesse. Easily one of the best children s television series ever made, to date.
  28. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolutely perfect in every way. Pays homage to the fantastic original, introduces awesome characters and features a bad-ass villain with a truly scary voice. The action and plot developments are incredibly fast paced. Creators of the original learnt from their mistakes and now skip filler episodes!
  29. Jul 4, 2012
    While not near as good as Last Airbender, this is still very good. I would have to say the only downfall is the completely over emotional and under powered portrayal of the avatar. Ang was younger and had far less training and was able to destroy people without hardly a challenge, Korra just, well, cant.
  30. Jul 10, 2012
    My only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actuallyMy only complaint is the fact that Nick only ordered a total 26 episodes for the ENTIRE SERIES of The Legend of Korra, only a little over a normal TV season like that of The Last Airbender, but is deciding to cram two whole seasons worth of plot into it. I don't think people realized how much actually happened in the season compared to The Last Airbender. No filler episodes actually happened, which is why I'm only giving the show a 9. "A point off for NO filler episodes? Wouldn't you actually WANT them?" you must be asking yourself. Well, in the case of Avatar, the filler episodes can actually be the best standout ones that fans actually love. The Southern Raiders, Ember Island Players, Tales of Ba Sing Se, and The Puppetmaster are some of my favorites, and they were just filler episodes! So yes, The Lgend of Korra is a fantastic show, but it's incredibly rushed because of the season orders it was given by Nick. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    May 22, 2012
    Visually, Korra is striking. It's full of little tricks and nuances that only true fans will notice and savor, but nothing prevents civilians from enjoying it as well. The same holds for the mythology.
  2. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    May 22, 2012
    When her Airbender training is postponed, Korra travels to Republic City, where Aang's son Tenzin lives, so he can teach her. And that's when the fun begins.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    May 22, 2012
    Mostly, the intrigue in the half-hour pilot proves a trifle head-scratching, but there's a fair amount of action and an impressive look.