Avatar: The Legend of Korra : Season 1

8.6

1. Nov 25, 2013
    LOL
    RANT TIME...
    Season Two Episode 14. What happened? (Seriously, She did what?) Are we stealing Ideas From DBZ? (Bryan, Michael) Since the 'motion picture' 'The Avatar' franchise has lost ground with fans. (I hope you are 'really' reading) Nothing beats Book 2 Earth. (Witness the full stop) The layers were there. (Observation) The ending to THIS season IS Garbage. (.)
    LOL
    RANT TIME...

Season Two Episode 14. What happened? (Seriously, She did what?)
    Are we stealing Ideas From DBZ? (Bryan, Michael)

Since the 'motion picture' 'The Avatar' franchise has lost ground with fans.

(I hope you are 'really' reading)

Nothing beats Book 2 Earth. (Witness the full stop)
    The layers were there. (Observation)

The ending to THIS season IS Garbage. (.)

The best idea from the bubbling pot that IS but some how LOST the plot in the Korra season 2 finale is the presence of the spirit world in the physical world and its good and bad effect and pressure put on the population, not the views and stand points of main characters.

Any good fight scenes? (We all witnessed the LOL)

TO PICK UP PACE....

RE DO The motion picture. Not the parallel smurf action flick.
    ( I hope you were reading )
    Compress trilogy, to comprise of two books per picture.

Boy trapped in iceberg freed by star crossed love, grows and frees the world. Or just ba-sing se.)

If you can't get that film approved your a ducebag.
    The Avatar production teams needs a Varrick to spur things on.

A Blind girl protected from the outside world by her parents in the upper society of ba-sing se, learns to use her earth-bending abilities in her few hours she is outside a day, to sense vibrations of the earth beneath her to see her surroundings.

Writing like that is what we expect.nothing less.

What in the last two seasons compares to the scene where Toph was kidnapped and locked in a metal box on the back of a wagon with no sight and no connection to the ground, became the first metal bender.

The story of the first blood bender imprisoned by the dictators of the fire nation, with nothing but the rats she was imprisoned with learnt to bend the water in blood to secure her freedom.

The best thing about the transition to the future (Korra Saga) is the politics of the new age, the fact that Aang lived a full life and the presence of his legacy in this new age. The advancements of technology and the adaptations of the world population due to his legacy and the characters of the time.

I personally really like the pro-bendng championship but the fire ferrets is not a cool name. Chi blockers. Cool.

The introduction states Earth. Fire. Air. Water.

My conclusion is Book Air was a lose avatar remake to please fans and push for more motions pictures when a simple motion picture redo is needed.

Spirits tries to please fans more. Ario. But falls short of the layers of intricacy needed to form a leading character. Even now I doubt the new Team Avatar can, in an opening scene, ride into a fortified ba sing sa military compound, outnumbered and out gunned, fend off the occupying army untill face to face with the president himself.

RANT..
    OVER...
    Or is it....
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    Decent cartoon, but I can not get as enthusiastic about this show as I did about the last air-bender. The update is pretty and somewhat original, but the main character is so annoying it tends to overshadow that. It seems that whoever wrote the character was so afraid of getting accused of writing a "weak" female lead that they just made her a brute in a skirt. She's an angry teenager whoDecent cartoon, but I can not get as enthusiastic about this show as I did about the last air-bender. The update is pretty and somewhat original, but the main character is so annoying it tends to overshadow that. It seems that whoever wrote the character was so afraid of getting accused of writing a "weak" female lead that they just made her a brute in a skirt. She's an angry teenager who just wants to punch everything. And infuriatingly, it works out for her. Where ATLA was a story of a young boy searching for enlightenment to overcome his problems (which I thought was an interesting story, and made me want to see more because I wanted to follow his growth) Korra seems to live in a world where might makes right, and while there is some small development, it seems accidental and out of focus. I specifically loved the long-term developments in ATLA, and that is mostly missing in "Korra". Expand
  3. Nov 16, 2014
    (contains absolutely *no* spoilers)

(contains absolutely *no* spoilers)

Reviewing this show is difficult for me. Although I enjoyed the first season of "The Legend of Korra" much more than most of the original "The Last Airbender", but two of the show’s following seasons were downright awful. They were bland, straightforward, and predictable. They had little to no intrigue, and most of the time they were just boring to watch (it's worth noting: third season is slightly better than the second). If I wasn't 'sorta' fan of the series, I'd have stopped watching these seasons after the first few episodes. But I pressed on, and I'm glad I did. The fourth season is very refreshing in every aspect, starting with animation quality (it went down a lot in the previous two seasons), finishing with the story, which is currently having a few interesting twists (of course, all of them are predictable, as usual). Overall, it's a good show by today's standards.

However, it does have problems, big ones, which I just can't ignore. To make it short, it's a kids' show. Precisely, it’s a bad stereotypical kind of it. The show's creators used every stamp and cliché known to humanity to make it kids-friendly. By that I mean: straightforward plot (no intrigue or challenge of any description), stereotypical cliché characters (evil villains, heroic heroes, comical clowns, etc), black-and-white morale (no drama, nothing to bugger your mind with). All this was present in the "The Last Airbender", but I was hoping things will improve in the sequel. Turns out, I was wrong.

Seasons 1 and 2 featured villains whose motives were somewhat justified. But the main characters, our heroes, never doubt their choice of side. The show never accents ‘the other side of story’. This makes it appear like there’s no real conflict going on. Our heroes have to fight villains for one simple reason: first ones are good guys, second ones are baddies. And that’s it, there’s no real depth. There could’ve been depth, but, I guess, creators thought that kids’ brains can’t handle it. Too bad, because the show would’ve been much better if it wasn’t so.

The second and my most hated problem of the show is… the clowns. For some reason, creators seem to feel the need to keep the show comical. But they have no talent to do it the right way. So, what they do, is that they include characters, whose only special detail is that they are stupid. Yes, exactly. They are stupid, and everything they do becomes a joke. For someone like me, stupidity is embarrassing more often than it is funny. This bothered me in "The Last Airbender", and it bothers me now. "The Legend of Korra" seems to have twice as many idiotic clowns with no dignity. It’s a shameful display – no better words to define that.

All in all, the show is enjoyable despite its immaturity. It has no edges (if you don’t count the clowns), so it won’t disturb you. If you don’t have anything else to watch, I’d recommend "The Legend of Korra". You probably won’t regret spending your time on this.
  4. Dec 25, 2014
    Shallow, awkward, overambitious, and grating whenever a character opens their mouth. It feels less like a mature show that includes children in the demographic and more a children's show that wants to feign otherwise. There is a distinct impression of inauthenticity throughout this season (and the rest, for that matter), as if it's something that was made by a fan who unsuccessfully triedShallow, awkward, overambitious, and grating whenever a character opens their mouth. It feels less like a mature show that includes children in the demographic and more a children's show that wants to feign otherwise. There is a distinct impression of inauthenticity throughout this season (and the rest, for that matter), as if it's something that was made by a fan who unsuccessfully tried to emulate a better show. To be fair, they were only given one season to tackle that which deserved too - the conflict was a wonderful idea that deserved more life. And therein lies the strength of Legend of Korra - it's ideas. The dynamics of the booming, industrial postbellum world are intriguing, though only so well fleshed out.
    Oh, and the action is fantastic. BETTER than the Last Airbender, and most other things I've sen for that matter.
  5. Jul 4, 2012
    Had I not absolutely loved the first series I wouldn't have made it through this one.

Minor spoilers, nothing plot related per say. The tech vs fantasy just didn't click; it felt bland despite my initial excitement. There were many inconsistencies as well. One scene shows several firebenders casually using lightning to charge a generator (?), already established as being extremely

Minor spoilers, nothing plot related per say.

There were many inconsistencies as well. One scene shows several firebenders casually using lightning to charge a generator (?), already established as being extremely difficult for even masters to achieve. One of these is a main character who barely does anything impressive all season, he even casually redirects lightning without any training whatsoever. In the last series lightning actually killed the Avatar (although he was brought back to life via special means).

Korra is also supposedly a master of 3 elements, yet cannot metalbend, barely can defend herself from a group of 5 non-benders, and doesn't even actually defeat ANYONE the entire series. She never develops as a person and basically has her goals handed to her; she earns nothing at all.

Pro-bending was a cute background idea, a whole arc on it was tedious and boring, absolutely nothing impressive happened all season.

The characters are bland cardboard cutouts of previous characters.. without the depth. (Although I do like Tenzen, the older airbender) The romantic stuff was way too rushed and made no sense aside from infatuation.

Bo Lin was disturbingly upbeat and one-dimensional in particular. Did he have brain damage? I wanted to like him; root for him as an interest, however after the 2nd episode it became clear he was meant to replace Sokka... but without sarcasm, wit, or intelligence.

Also, supposedly metal-benders cannot bend platinum because it is 'too pure' or some rubbish.
    Platinum is a malleable metal when in a purified form, No damn way you could make walking robots out of that **** without the parts fusing together. (Yes.. mecha's.. pointless.) Not to mention they would need a power source.. never discussed.

I liked the art. Bought the series in HD on iTunes.

Pleaaaaase get the old writers back and either move on to another avatar, or fill in the gap between this and the first series. There was plenty of space to develop the characters as they age and resolve some of the hanging threads. (Zuko's mother..)
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the whole season 2 was good for the avatar mythology story telling about the Avatar Wan and the sprits was really good but the whole story telling about the season was bad and fast. It could be better. and shameful season finale for the Legend and i think it was really poor finale not just for being an episode inside the Avatar franchise and also really bad script for its own and side- characters was not necessary for the whole season I m talking about asami,mako and bolin If they were focus on Tenzen, Bumi, Kya, Jinora and Korra since the beginning ,and they were get the story telling slow down at the first time maybe the spin off has been good but it was a poor story I hope this legend will be good again and has a good story telling just like the old 4 book. There is still hope inside of the story Expand
  7. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Enjoyed the beginning of this series, its not perfect but really started to rope me in, however towards the end it bugged the crap out of me.
    The final episode is just terrible, as Korra loses most of her powers, goes off and sulks about it, then magically gets them all back for no good reason. At what point is she supposed to learn anything?
    The defeat of the main villain is equally disappointing, can't help but think that they were expecting the show to be cancelled or something, the end definitely feels rushed.
  8. Dec 6, 2013
    As others have said, if this weren't connected to Last Airbender then I probably wouldn't have bothered to stick with Korra. A lot of the Pro-Bending stuff wasn't really used that well considering the amount of screen time it took up. Amon and Tarrlok gave them a chance to deal with a lot of complex questions and maybe try to propose answers some of them, but they just kinda dropped it allAs others have said, if this weren't connected to Last Airbender then I probably wouldn't have bothered to stick with Korra. A lot of the Pro-Bending stuff wasn't really used that well considering the amount of screen time it took up. Amon and Tarrlok gave them a chance to deal with a lot of complex questions and maybe try to propose answers some of them, but they just kinda dropped it all on the floor and did nothing with it.

Compared to where Last Airbender Season 3 left the series as a whole, Korra s1 is a season of disappointment.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    May 22, 2012
    Visually, Korra is striking. It's full of little tricks and nuances that only true fans will notice and savor, but nothing prevents civilians from enjoying it as well. The same holds for the mythology.
  2. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    May 22, 2012
    When her Airbender training is postponed, Korra travels to Republic City, where Aang's son Tenzin lives, so he can teach her. And that's when the fun begins.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    May 22, 2012
    Mostly, the intrigue in the half-hour pilot proves a trifle head-scratching, but there's a fair amount of action and an impressive look.