• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 1, 2012
  • Season #: 1
8.3

1. Dec 5, 2012
    Well acted and interesting to watch but what kills the show is the slow pace and un-interesting story lines. I am disapointed that it got cancelled because it had potential to be a solid series but it's a cut throat world in television.
  2. Jun 19, 2012
    I actively try NOT to get hooked on new programming, especially from NBC, but I was available for this pilot episode, and I was instantly intrigued. I looked forward to new episodes every week, but alas, the network gave it a terrible slot. I forget why I could not watch/tivo it. I think it was on at 8pm? too early. It's more of a 9 or 10pm type show. I actually made time to watch it on hulu. Too bad NBC can't recognize it's own (only) good programming. This is the network that messed with Leno, ruined Conan O'Brien, and cancelled Journey Man. I dislike so much I might have to miss the Olympics... Disappointed. Expand
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    Awake was, without a doubt, the best network show to debut during the 2011-2012 season. Jason Isaacs gives the performance of his career. A great show, gone before it's time. Doomed to find a cult audience in the future. This was the Firefly of the year. Rest in Peace.
  4. Jun 7, 2012
    The first few episodes of Awake make very good, smart use of the premise with details from cases in both worlds crossing over, but after that the writers run out of ideas of how to keep it up and the 2 cases have much less of a connection to each other. The procedural parts in both worlds are interesting though and there are also events that threaten to make Michael loose his grip on one world. The ending lets you choose your own answer to what is real but it is still relatively satisfying. Also, just to clear up, this is not Sci-fi, it is just a cop show with a twist, but a much better one than all the CSI clones try to come up with. Expand
  5. May 28, 2012
    My daughter-in-law and I LOVE this show and we are both very upset that it has been cancelled! Based on what I've read from other's who have watched the show, I would think someone would have enough guts to give it another season. I am not home when the show airs, but I watch it on HuluPlus or ON Demand (via Comcast). This show is a TEN in my book.
  6. TTH
    May 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great show. Would have given it a ten but watched the last episode and the last 15 seconds were not good. I figured that the creators may have prepared in advanced for only one season and I feel like it was a wonderful build up to the last episode. But the way they crafted the resolution was poorly done to me. I figured they would employ a 'deus ex machina' to wrap it up but really..... in the middle of a session he 'consciously creates a third reality and is able to get up and walk through a door right into it. I just feel that this was too much of a cheat. Personally I was hoping if it had to end then maybe they would do the 'he is in a coma'. Or something else a bit more in keeping with feel of the show. Even if he had gone to sleep in the green and woke up in the new world I feel that would have been nicer and more in keeping with the character. I can accept that he could lie to himself at an unconscious level but to deliberately do it... he been going this whole time feeling that both realities were the truth. He gave one up when he got evidence that it was false. He has never deliberately created a lie and acted on it...
    Anyway wonderful series minus that last 15 seconds. Great lead actor and stellar supporting casts. Wish they had let it go for a few more episodes but it was excellent overall.
  7. May 20, 2012
    Everything is amazing about this show. Jason Isaacs is acting awesome. The plot is extraordinary. The colors are very artistic. Brilliant job NBC! I hope the show will continue. Because its one of the most original TV show.
  8. May 19, 2012
    Another very good show canceled in the first season. There is still one episode to go before the series finale and assuming they have some sort of satisfactory ending, which it looks like they will, then even just this one season is well worth watching.
  9. May 15, 2012
    My favorite show. Grabs you right away. A new, unique, and wonderful plot line. Keeps you wanting more. If I could I would give it a 15 out of 10. Everyone should watch it, it's just that good :)
  10. May 12, 2012
    One of the best shoes I've ever seen on tv. I can't believe it was cancelled. Maybe someday someone with more courage will pick it back up. Awake will be missed
  11. Apr 15, 2012
    The premise of this show, while incredibly dark, is actually strangely captivating. The way the writers and directors have structured the parallel universes of the protagonists wife and son is well thought out, using darker tones for the world in which the son survives, and warmer tones for the other. At the end of the day, Jason Isaacs is exceptional, translating good writing into great acting. Im pleased to see Wilmer Valderama in something since That 70's Show, and to his credit, its a good performance. The premise is dark and relatively original, which these days is hard to come by. Expand
  12. Apr 9, 2012
    Very intriguing concept and plot-line, good acting and characters, the shrinks in particular are an interesting dichotomy. The only question is whether or not this show will last, if it plot-line has enough stamina to survive multiple seasons without stretching itself thin. I give it a nine until the season finale, then we will know better if it would survive a second season.
  13. Apr 6, 2012
    I'm not a cop drama fan but this shows main theme isn't about the cop drama. The casting is probably the best part of this show, Jason isaacs kills it and the wife plays the perfect unstable white woman. The story behind why he can't decipher the two unfolds slowly so you are enticed to enough to keep watching.n
  14. Apr 1, 2012
    AWAKE is probably the most interesting procedural on television, though it need to get away from its dependence on police formula cases to become truly interesting. Jason Isaacs is mesmerizing in the lead, and his performance carries even the less plausible elements of the plot. The series also has an emotional punch usually lacking from such case-of-the-week series, primarily due to its structure and underlying theme of loss. Expand
  15. Mar 30, 2012
    Very nice tv serie! Blessed with an interesting concept and a very good performance from the cast (expecially Jason Isaacs). The idea of not knowing what is real and what is not is intriguing per se and even as a crime drama it is rewarding. Only, this is not the kind of serie that can play for 10+ seasons, I hope the producers will keep every episode relevant and won't fall in the "let's have a 90% filler episodes per season as long as it has a good share" trap. Definetly worth your time. Expand
  16. Mar 22, 2012
    "Awake" is a triumph. It's engaging, original, and has potential to stick around for a while. You get consumed in each world, trying to figure out which one is real-life. The added cop-procedural twist is deep and suspenseful as well.
  17. Mar 22, 2012
    I'm really enjoying this show. The premise is kind of complicated, but the dialogues between Jason Isaacs and his doctors, photography and direction, makes this show a must see.
  18. Mar 22, 2012
    Very original and interesting plot, very good acting and compelling viewing. Subtle changes in colours and characters allow you to follow which reality you are following at any one time. Check out this show if you like shows such as Homeland or Dexter.
  19. A1A
    Mar 16, 2012
    I just sit there and watch TV. I donâ
  20. Mar 13, 2012
    I liked the concept very much & i love both the episode very much, the way character move back & fro between the two world, how he can interrelate things.
  21. Mar 12, 2012
    The Pilot ep for Awake shows us that there is still at least a pinch of creativity at the networks these days. The premise of awake is that its main character, Jason Isaacs, inhabits two worlds--one in which he is awake and another which he is apparently dreaming. How the two worlds will interact with each other is the main driving force of the series for this reviewer. I only hope that as the episodes evolve, the plot isn't taken over by a standard crime drama narrative so much so that it obliterates the interest of Isaac's double world/life. This is what happened to Fox's Terra Nova. It had a great pilot, ripe with sci-fi themes and character development possibilities, yet the writers chose not to develop the more unique aspects of the story. Let's hope that Awake doesn't go down the same path. Expand
  22. Mar 11, 2012
    The premise is great and I can see the show making good, but based on what little there is so far out there I'm just not sure that this is going to make it more than a few seasons. I can't see how they can keep it interesting without making it feel very contrived.

Still, if you are watching it now or you are watching the first season at a later date, you could definitely do worse.
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    This looks like a promising show. Good premise. Good acting. Let's see if it develops into a great series. Flash backs should be made during the series in order to make the whole mesh of the premise make sense as the story evolves, hopefully into a climax of revelations .
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    The show is absolutely brilliant. The concept is genius and the story is engaging. However, the scenes in which this story is portrayed are too short. I wished they were lengthened instead of switching in between realities about 3 times between commercials. The fact that the main character is also a cop who connects clues between realities sounds good, but is poorly executed. The story would be much more engaging if the main character was not a detective. The scenes about his workplace take up too much time so there isn't enough for the story. Plus, the story starts in the middle and not the beginning, starting the viewer a little time after his traumatic accident instead of right at the accident. On the bright side, when the story is involved, we can see the main character interact with his son and his wife. We see how he is struggling to solve which reality is real. I hope this show lasts, but I don't think it will. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    Judging from the pilot episode, this is sure to be the sleeper hit of the year. Great cast, (Issacs is amazing) and a wholly intriguing premise made the first 60 minutes a thrill ride. I can't wait to see what happens next.
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    This is great, it makes you want to see it again and again, best new NBC drama, he dosen't no if it is real, the show seems like real life. Jason Isaacs has a good performance.
  27. Mar 5, 2012
    I could tell just minutes into the pilot of the show that it's doomed to fail. The writers/produces deprived us of the most satisfying moments. Where was the scene when the lead character FIRST awakes to a new/alternate existence. Where was that look of terror or joy the first time he sets eyes on his wife and son, brought back to life. Instead, we are fast forwarded through the accident and his first days living out these two existences. BBC TV would have mined this for episodes worth of great drama... I get it, they want to keep us guessing which reality is the real one. But guess what, I don't care. Expand
  28. Mar 3, 2012
    This is a seriously good show. It won't last, simply because of that fact. Watching it involves using brain cells and that's hard for most viewers busy playing with other techi toys. Are we watching a sci fi show or a show about an extreme defense mechanism? I opt for the former and the clues we have so far bear this out. Keeping up with alternate realities can be a difficult task but I think the viewers who like this show will love to do it. It needs some tweaking though. We can't have the main character always being the griever in chief. His wife seems to be in denial and his son is still too controlled. Expand
  29. Mar 3, 2012
    Very excellent pilot. Jason Isaacs gives a commendable performance as a man trapped between to realities (one in which his wife survived a fatal car crash, the other in which his son survived). This a fantastic pilot, beautifully shot with a very interesting premise. Most promising thing on T.V. I've seen all year. Hopefully it becomes something more than your typical police procedural show. Well done, NBC! Expand
  30. Mar 2, 2012
    Awake had a premise that interested me from the moment I saw it as a project. When the show finally set it's premiere date, my expectations were already high. Yet, although the execution of the pilot is certainly not disappointing, Awake has some gaps to fill. I believe while it is beautifully shot and the acting is dazzling, the show focuses on the logic more than the feeling, which makes this exceptional story one dimensional. Also as many of the reviewers say, the shows procedural side is uninteresting, and I fear that the later episodes are going to be more of a crime show rather than a creative drama. We're going to learn whether the show is a emotionally complex drama or a dull procedural in the future episodes, but until that I'm gonna give this show another chance. Expand
  31. Mar 1, 2012
    From Gordon I expected nothing short of a stellar pilot. And Isaacs is great. This Act 1 seems painstakingly difficult to hold on to, though. So, it will be interesting to see the direction the characters we met on the pilot take and their opinions (or lack thereof) of Isaacs 'issue'--that is, of course, unless this is some Vanilla Sky dream altogether. NBC could do great things with the core actors. If it has the guts to introduce a few new people, this show might just be worth following 'til the end. Expand
  32. Mar 1, 2012
    Seriously good performance from Jason Isaacs makes this an exceptional drama, beautifully shot and edited and with an exciting central premise. Even the procedural aspect seems relevant in this setting, well done NBC!
  33. Mar 1, 2012
    I loved this show. I like the uncertainty of not knowing what is or is not real. It could be everything is real or nothing is real. It has definitely intrigued me enough that I want to see plenty more.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Apr 2, 2012
    Awake may be hard to categorize, but it's worth our attention.
    The cop stuff feels like it could be happening in any other NBC cop show; I kept expecting Prime Suspect's Maria Bello to show up in that cute hat. But given the originality on display, and the venue, those are minor complaints.
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Heller
    Mar 1, 2012
    The pilot's strength was neither accidental nor fleeting: Each subsequent episode has evocative moments that flirt with that early greatness, even if they're not as riveting.