• Network: ABC Family
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 20, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.6

1. Jul 25, 2012
    Baby Daddy is a painfully shallow bit of TV, rarely funny and the characters themselves are horrid 2D caricatures of what a visiting alien would assume is typical American culture -- if all he observed was a hodgepodge of other horrible American sitcoms. The show's premise is weak and to the cynical observer appears to be nothing more than a shallow ploy to capitalize on the "Teen Mom' trend on MTV. To give you some understanding of how awful and predictable this show will be, it starts with a baby being left in a basket on the deadbeat father's doorstep. Seriously.

The fact that the producers haven't heard of the term "child abandonment", the premise of the show is weak and does more to harm the sitcom than it does to help. The main character is rendered almost totally unlikable because of this, a few episodes in and it's fairly obvious he's a terrible father despite the continued insistence of the show that he's not. More to the point the logic of the show leaves open the possibility that he has other illegitimate children, a fact that is lamp-shaded several times. This bit of self-awareness would do the show credit, were it not for the fact that "Ben" is an unrepentant p***y hound not above exploiting his daughter to help him get laid. It speaks to a certain assumption to the primary demographic of the show, teenage girls, that twenty-something males are all sleazebags who can be counted on to think only with their members.

Getting on to cast, and I'm not even going to bother discussing the horrid acting, it's as singularly weak as the premise. The actor portraying Ben, Jean-Luc Bilodeau, is a virtual unknown whose most notable appearance in TV or film prior to Baby Daddy was an appearance of Supernatural in 2008. Chelsea Kane, who plays obvious future romantic interest Riley Perrin, is likewise a virtual unknown. Prior to her role in Baby Daddy she primarily drifted around Disney projects. It should shock no one that the character of RIley is being set-up as the static, disposable love-interest whose sole plot-point is to "redeem" wanton womanizer Ben.

This continues on for sometime, until we get to what I hoped would be a redeeming moment for the show in Melissa Peterson, better known for her role as Barbara-Jean on former WB hit Reba. While I never considered Reba a particularly good show it was redeemed through the character Barbara-Jean who remained consistently funny unlike the other predictable character of Van Montgomery (played by Steve Howey) and better known by me as "the stupid-jock". You can imagine my frustration when that glimmer of hope was snuffed out. I wouldn't expect, nor want, Melissa Peterman to play Barbara-Jean 2,0 but this is a woman who is capable of doing funny but simply doesn't. Thus far everyone in the story is an absolute stereotype, a bland caricature of an actual person, it shouldn't be surprising that Bonnie is as well. Essentially the character of Bonnie is the generic, unreasonable mother who is overly critical of her son. At no point in time does the show make any attempt to demonstrate that Bonnie's criticism of her womanizing son is unreasonable. Vapid love interest Riley actually sticks up for fathering a child with an unknown woman and being so incompetent he attempts to change his daughter's diaper with a pair of tongs and duck-tape. Newsflash Riley, maturity is demonstrated not assumed.

Of course, we can talk about the unfortunate implications of the shows premise. I'll share this from a commenter on another review page, because if you can't say it well steal from someone who can. -- This show is another prime example of the entertainment industry perpetuating negtive and false stereotypes about fathers.

So freaking true, we're no longer living in the era where women are all barefoot and pregnant and the only role of dad is sharing a beer with his kid and beating the crap out of him when the boy becomes a riley teenager and calls the old man out. It's difficult to imagine a show like this will have longevity when fathers actually are doing things like changing diapers, taking kids to the doctor, and even (GASP!) staying home while mommy goes out to earn.

To add insult to injury, potential sources of drama like child custody and legal rights are totally ignored. I can understand the illusive mother being overwhelmed by her status as a single mother, granted by the shows premise she never attempted to reach out to the presumptive father for aid. What I can't understand is why a slacker and womanizer would suddenly accept a responsibility as serious as raising a child. It's out of character, no I'm serious. It doesn't seem like Ben has ever tried in his life why wouldn't he simply chuck the baby off to an adoption agency? Or his grandmother? The only explanation the show seems to give? D'aaawww she's cute and causes women to have sex with me!
  2. Jun 20, 2012
    [Judging from the first episode.] I've seen many shows start out like this: Scratchy. Some of the cast say their lines as if they were amateur actors, and some actions are unbelievable. The first episode was to the point when it comes to introducing the characters, and I'm not a fan of that. Going to the jokes, they are funny! But the tone of some of them made them not-so believable. But I can tell this show has a great chance of getting better, because the plot of the show is funny and watchable. These actors aren't the best, and they aren't the worst, I can tell they'll get better. I'll keep watching this show, see how things go in the future, as I really do believe in this show. Expand
  3. Jun 25, 2012
    It was funny and emotional. I enjoyed the pilot. I can predict it will b one of my favorite shows. The character-bonnie was clearly funny just like mowry. It has comedy n a little of romance...give it time; it should get better once u fall in love with the characters.
  4. Aug 9, 2012
    This Show is good, not great just yet... I do see great potential, maybe some guest stars? The Mother is funny, I definitely enjoy her, attractive cast with the quirky kid (Mowry). It would be a whole 10 if it becomes more about (Baby) Daddy... but overall good show.
  5. Jul 28, 2012
    woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful woeful
  6. May 14, 2013
    After binge-watching the first season, I felt I had wasted my time. The show is very generic and the concept has been done many times before. I compare it to "Raising Hope" on Fox, but comparing it to Raising Hope is almost an insult to the show. The show tries to be funny, but it is not. The jokes are stale, the plot is outdated, the setting is stale, and the only thing that is somewhat positive is the performance of the actors. The concept is terrible. Leaving a baby at your door step... really? Again, America? Even with that, if I didn't have anything better to do, I would never have watched it. However, as the season progressed, I felt somewhat attached to the characters. But that's the only positive thing I have to say about it. Collapse
  7. Nov 4, 2013
    This is a good time waster, this is a decent comedy show. The main character Ben is not that interesting but the soppourting cast Riley, Tucker, Bens mom, and Danny are outstanding personalities. This show is decent but it also shows a lot of potential.
  8. Dec 9, 2013
    This show is my sec fav! I love bonnie! She so funny. This show has a good story line. I got addicted to the show when i watched the pilot. I love this show!
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    I love this show. I watch it when I am sick and it instantly brightens my day. My only problem with it is that they use three different babies for Emma, meaning that she is going to stay a baby. I thought it would be cute to see Emma grow up with the show and how they cope with problems that might come up with her as she grows older.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baby Daddy has no real point of view, no real comedic voice and one very cute infant.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 20, 2012
    Fox's "Raising Hope" manages to be both more outrageous and realistic than this flimsy, forgettable time-waster.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Jun 20, 2012
    Even if you could forgive its lack of creativity, it's difficult to overlook its absurdly clunky execution. Oh, and the fact that it isn't very funny.